Options

hey... you anti-huge corporation people who are freaking out

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    redrock wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Jeanwah is going to shit on my values again, because I CANCELLED all my donations (several charities) so I can keep up my daughters lessons.....

What does that say about me now?

as i know your situation... i'd do the same.

my family is more important to me than anything

as is yours 8-)8-)

And on these words, I am going to bed. 11pm here and I have to get up at 5.00am to go to work for a corporation so I can continue to make my CHOICES.

hey.. i work for the government... the biggest corporation there is... i dont have to get up at 5am... ergo i feel your pain. ;);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

hey.. i work for the government

so....that explains it.
  • Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    new_sheeple_dees.jpg

You have quite the amount of arrogance. I love how you lecture us on how we all are sheep. You tru;ly believe that you are smarter than everybody else. I will bah when I watch Billy Oh tonight.

JeanWah - did I spell it right?
    I swore to myself to just READ - as I don't want involved. I still DON'T want involved (while I continue to insert myself into this tyraid) as people continue to argue over Pearl Jam's business decision-making skills. You appear to be an "idealist." Me, too. I've learned to just pick and choose my battles - the ones that affect me the most. Not to just argue for the sake of arguing. As long as I can enjoy Pearl Jam music, I'm happy. Pearl Jam still supports their time and money to so many causes. This speaks VOLUMES about them - therefore - their reputation and image remains untarnished as far as I'm concerned. If I could take on the world I would. It's simply just too big. I do what I can - when I can. I think we all need to learn to adapt, adjust as well as overcome so that we can function in society. Did I lecture just now? OMG - I've become my mother! Such is life. ;)
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited June 2009
    redrock wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It's not a luxury, it's defining your priorities. If expenses are difficult (and they are to a lot of people these days) you prioritize what you can live without. You've decided you don't want to live without cable or your daughter's music lessons. I've given up cable and we bought an old beater as a second car so we can keep our house but support local businesses, because I refuse to support businesses with sketchy business practices. It's all a trade up, it just depends where your values are.

You're saying my values are shit then? Do you have children? Do you have a healthy husband who can contribute to your family? My choices are based on the fact that I want my daughter to have a life as normal as possible. Your values seem to be different to mine. Sorry, but my daughter comes before people's perception of shops like Target.
    Did I say anything about judging you? No. I have a daughter with special needs, a husband and I've been out of work for a few months, for your information. I want the same thing for my daughter, I just go about it differently, I have added challenges and I'm no better than anyone else. I don't have it easy, but I do live by my values. If there's a will, there's a way. To each their own.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PearlJain wrote:

JeanWah - did I spell it right?
    I swore to myself to just READ - as I don't want involved. I still DON'T want involved (while I continue to insert myself into this tyraid) as people continue to argue over Pearl Jam's business decision-making skills. You appear to be an "idealist." Me, too. I've learned to just pick and choose my battles - the ones that affect me the most. Not to just argue for the sake of arguing. As long as I can enjoy Pearl Jam music, I'm happy. Pearl Jam still supports their time and money to so many causes. This speaks VOLUMES about them - therefore - their reputation and image remains untarnished as far as I'm concerned. If I could take on the world I would. It's simply just too big. I do what I can - when I can. I think we all need to learn to adapt, adjust as well as overcome so that we can function in society. Did I lecture just now? OMG - I've become my mother! Such is life. ;)

Mom, er, I mean, PearlJain. :D
    I know being an idealist gets me into trouble with status quo minded folks. (I don't seem to mind) Deep down, I still love the music, I'll buy it. But I'll tell you. PJ inspired me. I do look up to them as idealists, and yeah, to see them sell out, pretty much sucks. Yes, they do still support their various causes, all fantastic. Just a bit disappointed that money appears to appeal to them just a bit more than it used to. That's all. It is my fault for looking up to them, but after all, they are just regular people like you and me. I'll still love them, just trying to prove my point, is all.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    I don't think this is about Pearl Jam. Why do you need to prove anything to anybody? You believe what you believe. It's all good. If ya want - you can PM me. If not - take care.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,948
    Cause she wants to be above us status quo people. Seriously what kinda bs is that. You're no different then any of us. Jenwah you bring up very good points but you come off very holier then thou when you say status quo people and people will lose respect for you. No I'm not patronizing you, if I wanted to do that I'd call you a dumbass for beleiving the crap pj says
    PearlJain wrote:
    I don't think this is about Pearl Jam. Why do you need to prove anything to anybody? You believe what you believe. It's all good. If ya want - you can PM me. If not - take care.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    metsfan wrote:
    Cause she wants to be above us status quo people. Seriously what kinda bs is that. You're no different then any of us. Jenwah you bring up very good points but you come off very holier then thou when you say status quo people and people will lose respect for you. No I'm not patronizing you, if I wanted to do that I'd call you a dumbass for beleiving the crap pj says

whoa... i know things are heated, but there isn't really any need to write posts just for the sake of attacking someone... obviously jeanwah doesn't need me to stand up for her, but calling her a dumbass just makes you look like a... well... something.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Everybody be cool, mmkay? We all have obstacles & we all have parameters we set ourselves.

Like them or loathe them, remember, its only Target. No biggie. The beauty of this deal is you can buy the CD at independent stores if you want. Thats right - have your cake AND eat it too.
  • Options
    Many people (especially on this particular web- sight) have said some very harsh things about me -in the past -without even knowing very much about me. We all have something in common here that brings us together. Let's not flame people for their opposing points of view. OMG - I'm getting old. You "youngsters" are giving me a headache! Where's the Tylenol?

• Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    I love Target and I think this is all a bunch of crap.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    PearlJain wrote:
    Where's the Tylenol?

I got some if you need it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    PearlJain wrote:
    Where's the Tylenol?

I got some if you need it.

bought it at target!
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    this is my first time making a post on this subject, probably the last register user to do so.

at first i was bummed by this deal, and then got over it once i saw conan.

last night i met up with two friends (separately) who both know of my pj love, and this was the first thing they mentioned to me, and one mocked them, and the other just jokingly called them sellouts.

now i am sort of concerned this is going to tarnish their reputation among casual fans and people who always watch from a distance. and in the end, those are the people who the band and management seek to reel in (remember the insane amount of press and promo for avocado?), not the people management already know are on board. so now i am sorta bumming about all of this.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

whoa... i know things are heated, but there isn't really any need to write posts just for the sake of attacking someone... obviously jeanwah doesn't need me to stand up for her, but calling her a dumbass just makes you look like a... well... something.
    reread what i said. I said if i WANTED to patronize her, i'd call her a dumbass. huge difference between wanting and doing.

• Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

reread what i said. I said if i WANTED to patronize her, i'd call her a dumbass. huge difference between wanting and doing.

my bad. when i read it the first time it looked like you were being patronizing, then claiming not to be, while following it up with a thinly veiled insult.
  • Options

my bad. when i read it the first time it looked like you were being patronizing, then claiming not to be, while following it up with a thinly veiled insult.
    its cool, no worries. oh i could very well throw a subtle insult to the person whose above us status quo people :roll:

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

its cool, no worries. oh i could very well throw a subtle insult to the person whose above us status quo people :roll:
    And you can only imagine what I would say to you. But that would mean bowing down to your level. Like I said in another post, I'm no better than anyone else. You, however tend to think I am. That's your opinion.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    And you can only imagine what I would say to you. But that would mean bowing down to your level. Like I said in another post, I'm no better than anyone else. You, however tend to think I am. That's your opinion.
    you yourself said you're above us status quo people. so no i don't need to think that when its right there in writing by you.

• Options
    I never said I was above any one. Reread it.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I never said I was above them. Reread it.
    well i took it that way cause it's coming off that way in all these threads bout this topic that's been beaten to death. it's all stupid shit really cause in the end it's bout the music and tour and posters and bootlegs and meeting other fans.

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Jeanwah wrote:

You're right about getting the right people in these giant corporations to lead them in the right direction, it's what's needed right now. Target's philanthropy does sound like they're trying to do the right thing. But, they are outsourcing. Outsourcing takes business out of this country and gives it to another, causing harm to our own economy and employment numbers, for the sake of their bottom line, because as most would say "...it's cheaper to do business overseas".
    Target Corp has been Outsourcing since 1993. It is America’s fourth-largest general merchandise retailer, operating 1,200 stores and 19 distribution centers across the United States. It has been outsourcing offshore in order to reduce costs, has 16 projects with offshore components and 12 moving in that direction.

According to Randy Kirihara, senior manager, Target Corporation, "Offshore outsourcing is not easy, it takes time. Senior management commitment and follow-through are critical." And that commitment is now beginning to manifest itself in increasingly larger number of companies. West Group is an example where top management is firmly committed to outsourcing offshore. from http://dqindia.ciol.com/content/outsour ... 021201.asp

So your not OK with Target Outsourcing because it takes business out of this country. But you seem to be OK with a Foreign company (SONY) handling the distribution and marketing. :roll:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I have added challenges and I'm no better than anyone else. I don't have it easy, but I do live by my values. If there's a will, there's a way. To each their own.

Again, your post comes out holier than though.. If there's a will there's a way... thus us 'others' are not putting in enough effort? We all have 'added challenges. Your values may be going to mom & pop shop (which by the way, I doubt buy fairtrade/ethically), adding to the pollution by using a car going from one place to another, etc., mine may actually do a lot more for 'the cause' - just depends how you see it.

You call 'us' the 'status quo' people. Not waffling on about big evil corporations without understanding what they can give back to the community, what they already do 'outside', ie try to source goods ethically and/or fairtrade, is NOT 'status quo'. There are a MULTITUDE of ways to try to move things forward/change things, not just bashing Target on a message board.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    After reading this thread for awhile. There's only one thing I really want to know.

What would Jeanwah and others that agree with her do instead of using Target?

What would be the proper solution?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Wow, I'm gone for the day and this is still going on 12 pages since I've read it.

Hypothetically:

if they try to distribute the album themselves- it would cost what? maybe $14-16. Now everyone wanting to by said album would be mad that it cost so much more than other peeps and then start treads that it cost too much for the new album when 15 years ago I could get it for less.

So they sell the album at Target and it sells for $9.99. Because it can be made in larger quantities, it costs cheaper to produce, giving the savings to the people. And the indi stores can get it at the cheaper price because it was offset by Target.

And the reality is, people want things cheaper. They still want the luxuries of life while still saving in some way. Life would just be ALL hardships without some kind of reward. And that just makes for a lot of unhappy people.

So would you be happier paying maybe twice the amount for the album when they can try to make it cheaper for you?
  • Options
    lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    just because you are not aware of the difference doesn't mean there isn't one....i'm sick to death of trying to explain to people who are too fucking complacent to know why they should be pissed in the first place, why Target sucks...just let the shit go..seems it's the "pro multi national corporation people" who keep brining this shit up...if you love being fucked over, ripped off and exploited, that's your bizz..just fucking drop it already!!!!!!!!!! CHRIST!! :x

and for your information dunky...i carved my PC by hand!! WHAT UP?!!! :mrgreen:

wood-computer2.jpg

HAHAHA
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:

hey.. i work for the government

so....that explains it.

all that explains is that i work flexi-time, earn good money and have a lovely final salary pension sitting waiting on me...

suck it in
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    redrock wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I have added challenges and I'm no better than anyone else. I don't have it easy, but I do live by my values. If there's a will, there's a way. To each their own.

Again, your post comes out holier than though.. If there's a will there's a way... thus us 'others' are not putting in enough effort? We all have 'added challenges. Your values may be going to mom & pop shop (which by the way, I doubt buy fairtrade/ethically), adding to the pollution by using a car going from one place to another, etc., mine may actually do a lot more for 'the cause' - just depends how you see it.

You call 'us' the 'status quo' people. Not waffling on about big evil corporations without understanding what they can give back to the community, what they already do 'outside', ie try to source goods ethically and/or fairtrade, is NOT 'status quo'. There are a MULTITUDE of ways to try to move things forward/change things, not just bashing Target on a message board.

and there it is.
    it has been said numerous times on this thread by numerous different people...but apparently, some can't even see that. ;) there is no ONE *right* way to live, to contribute, to be socially aware. you find an approach that works best for you, and realize others must do the same. this isn't to suggest we don't hold others accountable for their actions and choices...it's simply the realization there are MYRIAD ways of being socially conscious and active. more tha one approach on how to live well and for others in this life. balance, balance, balance. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    cabowabo.gif
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    cabowabo.gif

is that some corporate whore pushing some outsourced/imported alcohol?! :twisted:

:mrgreen:
    fins...i love ya.....you need to visit NY next time and share more drinks. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow