Options

*** Ed solo Philly 2 Fanviews Here 6/12/09 ***

Comments

• Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Sounds like it was another awesome show!!!

Counting down to Atlanta...
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    great show...went in a little disappointed wrong word, but knew my seats were worse than last years DC show (10C 2nd row DC, Row E Live Nation Tix last night)...but seats weren't bad. Ed was spot on all night. My highlights in no particlular order -- Girl From the Nort Country, the Yellow Ribbon talk was awesome with the couple in front, Clapton story, Lukin on the Uke, the unknown "new" song and Ed's nearly perfrect playing.

these aren't really lowlights of the show, but things that kinda bugged me. Girl beside me who had a friend there but they had single tix. The couldn't stop texting each other. The bright lights of cell phones kinda distract the people around you. I'd be nice if people could stay off their cells for two hours at a time. Luckily the girl fell asleep. (Yes, fell asleep). and people getting up multiple times for various reasons. (Multiple meaning 5 + times). I feel its disrespectful to Ed to get up so many times. My thoughts and I like to drink as much as the next person. You paid to see Ed, not to pay for overpriced beer.

Overall....show was great, would've liked a Who tune...next time
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    wendy wrockswendy wrocks Posts: 135
    My wife and I ...oh my gosh what a night......we just got home. I have no idea how I am going to sleep. I will try to write our review and share all the magic that happened tonight sometime this weekend when I am back to being calm and collective and able to gather my thoughts..what a night...that was my letter to Ed he discussed and it was my wife's bday tonight....WOW

Thank you ED. I waited half my life to get to say thank you to you and now I need to do it again, for tonight. Thank you! (thanks to everyone else as well- you know who you all are!)

My cheeks hurt from smiling so much...the wifey and i are dehydrated from crying and shaking...

and for anyone who reads this now and doesnt want to wait for my summary this weekend, The website Ed was talking about is http://www.yellowribbonclub.org

Thank you
    -Dave and Deb Silver

I cried too (Eddie always does that to me). Awesome cause!!!! My birthday was the night before and I saw Pearl Jam on my birthday last year. I've been wondering how I'm going to top next year's birthday, but you really have your work cut out for you!!!!! That was awesome!!!!
    Honolulu, 2006, Lollapalooza, 2007, WPB, June 11, 2008 (my birthday!!!!!)
    Bonnaroo 2008, MSG June 24, The Beacon July 1, 2008 (Robin Hood Rocks)
    United Palace Theatre August 5, 2008, NJPAC August 7, 2008 (EV Solo)
    Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA June 11, 2009 (My Birthday!), June 12
    The Spectrum Oct 27, 30, 31, 2009
    The Rock, May 18,(Front Row Center), MSG May 20, 21 2010

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    some more points I missed in my previous post

---wow- so i missed'em by only a matter of 10 minutes or so .
    Congratulations to all the hardcore fans that hung it out there in the little group
    assembled outside ,
    it was too hot/humid,... and alltho i wasnt really " rocking out " like at a PJ show, my legs were still tired and it was a long drive back up to NYC ( as it was i started drifting off while driving on the turnpike- not cool )
    Now I know for the future to stick around .

--the eric clapton story was funny.

--also, the Axes Of Evil story- very clever mr vedder. :lol:

uhm, question-

whats wwith the 2 gigantic feet on the sidestage . ? ? :| :?:

is this " Hanging Ten " or some other reference that this guy must've missed ?

oh and if my team was in the stanley cup playoff finals , i'd definitely be chiming in on any updates, but screaming out and drunking it up- thats just not cool either.

someone asked about the poster

this is it
    4577_1173787982352_1157623601_510740_574919_n.jpg
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    After the show, we saw Ed and Liam outside at the bus' ( Liam was outside walking in and out, ED snuck onto his bus and we saw him thru the little window, before someone drew the curtain )
    We waited until 12:10 am ( long drive back to NYC )
    the secirity guys were pretty cool , there were only approx 100 people out there, but Ed wouldnt come out . He surely saw all of us ,
    but he stayed inside.
    I was wondering if anyone here stuck it out, if ed ever ventured outside of the magic bus, and if so what time was it .

He eventually came out at about 12:45 for about 15 minutes, talked with everyone and shook hands. Best two nights of my life, Thursday I was 7th row thanks to 10c and I got to meet Ed last night. Thanks 10c for all you do and thanks Ed for taking the time to meet some fans. :D
  • Options
    wendy wrockswendy wrocks Posts: 135
    JV130312 wrote:
    Are there tapers at these shows?
    If there were. I really dont think they come out and announce it.

There was professional recording equipment on stage. One of the drunken ushers befriended me (good - let me sneak a few pictures, bad - he didn't shut up once) and said it was Eddie's management who didn't want the cameras, they were recording and he showed me the mics. I imagine you'll be able to buy these at 10c in a few weeks.
    Honolulu, 2006, Lollapalooza, 2007, WPB, June 11, 2008 (my birthday!!!!!)
    Bonnaroo 2008, MSG June 24, The Beacon July 1, 2008 (Robin Hood Rocks)
    United Palace Theatre August 5, 2008, NJPAC August 7, 2008 (EV Solo)
    Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA June 11, 2009 (My Birthday!), June 12
    The Spectrum Oct 27, 30, 31, 2009
    The Rock, May 18,(Front Row Center), MSG May 20, 21 2010

• Options
    ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 New Jersey Posts: 300
    I think I won the award for biggest douchebag seated behind me.
    Orch - Center Right row KK seats 117 & 9

The guy screaming shut the fuck up before society, well he was expressing the rage we all felt towards the two drunk pittsburgh penguin fans who had no rythym (clapping), no understanding that this wasn't PJ at the spectrum, and no respect for anyone around them. We were seriously considering beating the living shit out of them at the end.

First Ed show I have been to and my only problem was really the two idiots behind me.

They actually said "why is everyone booing this new song? It ain't so bad"
    (BRUUUUCE)

Constant Penguin score updates.

Trying to focus on the positive, like the two Chicago shows I am going to.

Great set and would definitely not miss Ed again.

Thanks 10 C!

How about the 3 guys behind me in row QQ left Orch yelling Society, Footsteps and Betterman?!?!?!?!? all night. Drunk as hell- at least they thought they were cool.
  • Options
    It's being reported by a fan from the show who had a view of the setlist at the soundboard that the unknown song was titled "The End". For those of you who heard the song could this make sense?
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    Amazing show, a little too short but great nonetheless!
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Thanks Dave for sharing you and your wife's experience with Ed...these stories we get from fans who have once in a lifetime events with this band always inspire and remind us why music is so important and how great everyone is associated with PJ. Can't wait for Saturday night in Memphis!

BTW I recently participated in a phone card event for the soldiers, its a big deal for them to be able to communicate to the one's back home. With all they deployments and stress on soldiers and families, we need to offer our support in any way. Thanks for bringing the awareness to all of us.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    wow. nice story, Dave. So it was a coincidence that you got moved to the front row AND your wife was handed the guitar pick?

You should have played the mega millions last night.

Again, Ill make sure I check out the YRC for you.
  • Options
    Sawyer wrote:
    OUTSTANDING although Philly is the biggest dump I have ever traveled too, and I've been to Toledo!

PHILLY IS not a dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!.best city in the U.S. BRO!!!!! thought Eddie was great!!!!!!!
  • Options
    brokenarrowbrokenarrow Posts: 478
    The night was wonderful, it was so nice seeing Ed play solo after all of these years. The whole show felt as though it went so quickly, but that's what happens when you're loving every minute of it. The people around us were very cool, (upper left balcony), Liam Finn's set was mesmerizing. Have never seen him play live and loved his music. EJ is such a great balance for him.

When Ed was onstage, I found myself in silent awe, I just wanted to absorb and take in the whole thing.

DroptheLeash, that was me you were sitting next to! My friend and I were commenting on how cool it is to see people as young as yourself completely getting it and loving music so much. Your parents must be very cool too, to want to experience something their daughter loves so much.

And yes, I did well up during Arc, just like I thought I would.

I have to tell you Dave and Deb, wow! :shock: :D We were all so happy for the 2 of you in the upper balcony! I actually had tears and chills watching that whole journey unfold before our very eyes. Just visited the Yellow Ribbon Club, it sounds like a wonderful organization. What you're doing with them is so amazingly important.
    Happy Birthday again Deb!
    love from yer pal,
    brokenarrow>

;)
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    thanks everyone for your very touching comments especially when it comes to the Yellow Ribbon Club. I have been reading them back to the wifey today and its making the dream that occurred last night continue. We haven't come back down yet and frankly, I dont want to
  • Options
    kineticjamkineticjam Posts: 154
    Amazing show. ARC was awesome. Thanks Eddie for such a great night!!!!
  • Options
    autumnautumn Posts: 191
    jked3 wrote:
    autumn wrote:
    phillyfan wrote:
    I went upper balcony to my seats way up top,and this guy comes up to me and wife and says do you want a upgrade?He says I work for Eddie he wants me to give you these tickets I get to play santa clause.They were front row almost dead center It was incredible, words can describe how I felt.I thanked this guy a hundred times and I wanted to hug him!!! Igot to give Ed a couple hand shakes, :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Baltimore. I have upper balcony for the show there, it would be an amazing experience and a great story to tell if I were so lucky!
    Philly 1 and 2 were fantastic. I agree that Philly 2 was much tighter, Ed should definitely stay off the painkillers.

Get there about 15-20 min before Liam gets on to have a good chance...Also, I think they are partial to upgrading couples...I told my wife for weeks leading up to this one that we had to get there early and it happened for us last night...good luck!

Thanks for the tip. My boyfriend and I are going to the show. I will definitely make sure to be there before Liam goes on! Again, fingers crossed!!!! :D
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    I got there a couple songs into Liam,I got lost,and i was so pissed off!!!!Im so happy I did get lost now.I will see you there tomorrow. :mrgreen:
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    bright9906 wrote:

PHILLY IS not a dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The OP said it was a DUMP....with a "P"....maybe you're not the best guy to stick up for Philly. :shock: :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    I was really embarrassed by the crowd in Philly. Every time Ed spoke and told a story, multiple people kept yelling for him to shutup and sing a song. I was SO PISSED! I seriously hope Ed couldn't hear any of that. Seriously, if you wanna hear a song, listen to a boot. When Ed talks to the crowd, it's something special, just for us. I absolutely love it when Ed talks to the audience. Fortunately 99% of the crowd was cool, but leave it to 4 or 5 people to ruin a perfect show
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    vedder6vedder6 Posts: 86
    Great Show last night. My friends daughter was on stage for Hard Sun. Eddie gave her the setlist and guitar pick. After the show she gave me the pick. She is my new best friend, haha. She was also on stage at Eddie in DC last year. I might have to bring my 2 year old to a show, haha. Seems like that is the way to get Eddie's attention. Now the wait for the tour announcement and the hope for shows at the spectrum.
    47 shows and counting.
  • Options
    After the show, we waited out back for a while and finally got to meet Eddie (first time for me), shake his hand and just say thanks for the music. I have been such a fan for almost two decades now, and Eddie/PJ's music has meant so much to me - to get to say that to Eddie, and have him respond with a genuine and humble - Thank you - that is going to be one of the most memorable moments in my life.

My wife and I had an identical experience after the first show in Albany. It was a moment we will never forget and I think it is something that will forever intensify our feelings for the music and the man.

Me: "Eddie, thanks for the music.
    Eddie: "You're welcome, sir! You've got great eyes."

No joke. He said it in the most genuine way. He was very engaging to all of us waiting to see him. It seemed like he really looked us all in the eye when he shook our hands and tried to say something meaningful. I'll continue to look back on meeting him and smile broadly for a long time. I'll also never forget that he was drinking a Corona Light. . .
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    My wife and I ...oh my gosh what a night......we just got home. I have no idea how I am going to sleep. I will try to write our review and share all the magic that happened tonight sometime this weekend when I am back to being calm and collective and able to gather my thoughts..what a night...that was my letter to Ed he discussed and it was my wife's bday tonight....WOW

Thank you ED. I waited half my life to get to say thank you to you and now I need to do it again, for tonight. Thank you! (thanks to everyone else as well- you know who you all are!)

My cheeks hurt from smiling so much...the wifey and i are dehydrated from crying and shaking...

and for anyone who reads this now and doesnt want to wait for my summary this weekend, The website Ed was talking about is http://www.yellowribbonclub.org

Thank you
    -Dave and Deb Silver

Edit: Update, I did a full review found later in this thread

The highlight of the 2 shows by far...Im so happy for your guys.
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    thanks ten club
    row bbb, just off to the right-Perfect!

great time, good show
    I even enjoyed the waterford, some west philly flava right there

Musically, I liked NJPAC better, but this was a great time and a great show.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    petrocs wrote:

Thank you
    -Dave and Deb Silver

Edit: Update, I did a full review found later in this thread

The highlight of the 2 shows by far...Im so happy for your guys.

Thanks big guy! I am glad you got to enjoy the 2nd night as well and everything came together for us and everyone. www.yellowribbonclub.org has had over 65,000 web hits just this weekend! Thank you PJ fans! Keep on hitting the site. If you arent able to make a financial or item donation, please check out the upcoming schedule on the site for a homecoming near you and make an effort to attend and let our US Troops know how PJ fans can welcome someone home!
  • Options
    Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    thanks everyone for your very touching comments especially when it comes to the Yellow Ribbon Club. I have been reading them back to the wifey today and its making the dream that occurred last night continue. We haven't come back down yet and frankly, I dont want to

What a great story! I'm a big believer in karma, and I think that the good that you do comes back to you tenfold. You obviously are doing a lot of good! Thanks for not only sharing this incredible story, but for your volunteerism.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    kg1982kg1982 Posts: 74
    edited June 2009
    night 2 in Philadelphia was a phenomenal show. I had the pleasure of seeing Ed solo last tour, and while not on his best night (Boston night 1), it was a good show--one easily trumped by Friday night. we ended up making what turned out to be a markedly painful 8 hour journey from Boston to PA on Friday to venture into upper darby for the show. his voice was spot on, his head was in it and the crowd was relatively well behaved, which is high praise in for the genre of gig. I think we (I?) can easily overestimate the esteem of any given group of a few thousand 20-40 somethings in this setting. but with that said, very few hecklers and it seems the absolute asshats of the bunch (it appears I am looking at the poor souls in the QQ realm) were fairly isolated! 11 years after my first 10c show, it was the first I personally didn't want to stab someone in proximate rows. and as always, the 10c seats were great.

north country and picture were done remarkably well, very Ed but also paid good tributes to the originals, something he's proven capable of but was well highlighted. ITW was solid, best version of Rise I'd heard. Guaranteed was beautiful and, given former misgivings, impeccable. Small town isn't necessarily one of my favorites, but I always forget it's one best played, appreciated and executed solo. Arc is always a bit of a tease for me--indicative that he knows he can dabble in looping, but underselling his full potential. for a man who can be of very few (or no) words, Ed was (dare I say) enchanting at points and came into his own, becoming more talkative than I'd seen him in a long while. I am elated that these amazing fans are able to inspire someone who is so socially and politically engaged, and thrilled both you and your causes had the floor and an incredibly captive audience. kudos to you for for your spirit and efforts. it's these moments in shows that I am reminded that being a fan of this band is so much more than the songs, shows and shirts. I adore this community.

long story (albeit slightly) short, I am floored by how far Ed has come as a solo performer. He began it engaging audiences and I now stand in awe. I'm elated to have had the experience.

should you have the stomach for it and get there before it's taken down, there's an attempt at a Hard Sun video from the evening available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gJNycfKF9I. let it be known that when Mr. Vedder states his preference is for no cameras--they are militant (fair enough). every other performance recording attempt throughout the night was foiled by a fairly surly security guard who came about 2 seconds away from landing me on the curb a couple songs into the set, and then again in 2-3 song increments for the rest of the night (ps--thanks for not). the first 10-15 seconds are shit, so unfortunately the ridiculously cute little girl kicking off the track is a wash, and then my aforementioned man in uniform tried to get the camera, but the last 5 minutes are decent (albeit motion-sickness inducing). youtube has significantly downgraded the quality, but you get the gist.

thanks to everyone who made this show what it was. less, perhaps, the livenation employee who wanted to end me--but even he had a soft spot for a fan.
    Post edited by kg1982 on
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    ED: This song is ... [ed mumbles something]
    You got that, right? I'll say it again...
    [ed mumbles something again to great laughter]

Girl from North Country begins....

SHAZAM! I can't even begin to write up how wonderful this show was, songs I wanted, songs I needed to hear. And so many wonderful people in Philly!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    shuttdownshuttdown Posts: 81
    I thought this show was amazing. It was my first show with Eddie or PJ and I was blown away. Even the bootlegs don't do the performances justice. Thank you for an amazing night.
  • Options
    Just got back from my philly weekend. went to show #2. it was amazing. i actually thought the crowd was good.
    This is my 4th eddie solo, 3rd city, i thought he sounded the best in philly.

btw,,,,that "unknown song" was incredible. breath taking. im dying to know what it was. is it rumored to be a new PJ song???
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    some more points I missed in my previous post

uhm, question-

whats wwith the 2 gigantic feet on the sidestage . ? ? :| :?:

is this " Hanging Ten " or some other reference that this guy must've missed ?

I don't know what the meaning is, about the feet, but it is a chair, he sat in it for Story Time with Uncle Eddie night 1!