Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:
    igotid88 said:
    Have any of you purchased the song? I did
    No way. It's in my downloads and I can stream it on Google Play. I rarely buy a single, even with Pearl Jam. I know I'll buy the album at some point so I can wait to skip it then, which always happens with the lead single and overplay by the time I get the album :).
    i guess this is why most of their singles never go gold or platinum. Just know that if you streamed it 1500 times that's equal to 1 sale.
    Yeah Pearl Jam is the only band in the world whose fans stream, as opposed to buy, their music. 
    Where did I say that? I was just pointing out the fact that 150 streams of a song or 1500 of an album is equal to 1 sale.

Well you said most of "their" singles as if this is a problem that doesn't affect anyone else.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    That's not what I meant. I was trying to say if you stream a song 150* times not 1500 that's equal to 1 sale. 1500 is for an album. So a combination of 10 songs from an album streamed 150 times
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Can't Deny Me will debut on the
    Rock Airplay Chart at #21
    Rock Songs #32
    Rock Digital Song Sales #21
    Alternative Songs #36
    Mainstream Rock #24 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    That's not what I meant. I was trying to say if you stream a song 150* times not 1500 that's equal to 1 sale. 1500 is for an album. So a combination of 10 songs from an album streamed 150 times

Do you think people are streaming a certain amount of times to boost their numbers or something? I just don't see why this matters.

Personally, I haven't streamed it in days because I don't think the songs is that good.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Yikes....for the sake of comparison, here's Mind Your Manners' debuts. Don't have a stat on digital song sales but do have Mainstream Rock (not sure if that chart is still active though)

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited March 2018
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Yikes....for the sake of comparison, here's Mind Your Manners' debuts. Don't have a stat on digital song sales but do have Mainstream Rock (not sure if that chart is still active though)

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    mainstream chart doesnt exist anymore.  plus the song was sent to radio on the 12th so didn't have a full week of rotation at stations.  Also, today is the day that the label is trying to get stations to add the track. some stations havent even played the song yet.  on top of all of that, the alternative and rock formats are a totally different animal now then they were 5 years ago.   its about the end of the singles life not the start
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    It isn't a radio friendly song, which is kind of going back to the path they started in the 90's. They've been more friendly and poppy the last 2 albums with accessible songs for the general public. It's just not a song that is going to be even moderately popular, especially to non-fans. This is something I last cared about around the Binaural era when I wanted everyone else to like my favorite band. Now, It doesn't matter and they obviously don't care either. I just want them to put out quality music. Their albums aren't what keep them in business, it's their live shows. Writing new music allows them to change it up and play with fresh music, but it's definitely not something they can survive on as a major rock band in this era.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    I think the lack of an impending album probably isn't helping them generate any kind of excitement. I mean, yeah they said forthcoming album. But that could be in 10 months for all we know. They haven't even given us an album name, which makes one wonder if if it's not really that close.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Do you think people are streaming a certain amount of times to boost their numbers or something? I just don't see why this matters.

Personally, I haven't streamed it in days because I don't think the songs is that good.

No. A lot people stream Kendrick, Drake, Ed
    Sheeran, and those types 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    i listened to it on repeat for a couple hours this morning. I often do that with a new song by a favourite band. And I dig it still. I also find I'm less picky than other PJ fans, though. I like most of their songs. Only a few notables I don't like. 
    I did the same today and i like it more than when i first heard it. I dislike the hand clap part. But i love the anger. Thats what i love in my pearl jam. I think most do. Im gladly from England and the back and forth political stuff is ok with me. Its someone having their say. It obviously rocks live. I will let you know in June!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    What songs do you dislike @Hugh Freaking Dillon just to see  if  im the same
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    What songs do you dislike @Hugh Freaking Dillon just to see  the same
    Future Days, Sirens, PJ's version of Sleeping By Myself, Betterman (the latter most likely only because radio killed it, and back then I listened to radio all day long). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Agreed. I do like betterman though especially live.  Thinking now. But there aren't many on my list. Oh ive disliked lightning bolt and the set killers like the end and just breathe. Im into the punchier ones but i also love nais and some more atmospheric ones. Oh unthought known is another i can't stomach
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,868
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    I feel like MYM had a lot more build up. It came out during one of my non-Ten Club stretches, and I knew from various other sources that the song was about to be released well ahead of time; a local radio station promoted that it would be playing it every hour on the hour the day it was released. I feel like CDM was just dropped out of the blue. Not saying it's as good as MYM, just that this might account some for the slower sales.

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Sheeran, and those types 

I don't know these blokes, but I'm guessing they're popular and sell more albums than PJ despite all the streaming.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    Those are peaks for MYM I believe.

Mainstream Rock #24 for Can't Deny Me

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    MP59559 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2
    I feel like MYM had a lot more build up. It came out during one of my non-Ten Club stretches, and I knew from various other sources that the song was about to be released well ahead of time; a local radio station promoted that it would be playing it every hour on the hour the day it was released. I feel like CDM was just dropped out of the blue. Not saying it's as good as MYM, just that this might account some for the slower sales.

This is all correct.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Sheeran, and those types 

I don't know these blokes, but I'm guessing they're popular and sell more albums than PJ despite all the streaming.
    mostly through streams. But yes obviously.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited March 2018
    MP59559 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2

Mind Your Manners is just a way better song all around and I think that is why it ranked better. Simple.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2

They are, but I just kind of assumed that they peaked when they debuted because that was how it always went in the 90's and early 2000's. But I could be wrong that it still happens like that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2

They are, but I just kind of assumed that they peaked when they debuted because that was how it always went in the 90's and early 2000's. But I could be wrong that it still happens like that.

Fuzzy math.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Fuck maths. Its not about numbers. Like... don't like there are the 2 choices
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    There’s some really shitty phone recordings of this the 2nd time they played it at lollapolooza Chile. Recordings are terrible but damn the crowd looked INSANE during the song. 
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    edited March 2018
    My 6 year old asked my wife to turn it up in the car after school today cause she likes this song.
    Post edited by adamg5 on
  • Options
    GrimblissGrimbliss Posts: 32
    edited March 2018

Like so many on here, I've been a fan of the band since the beginning. And like many on here, l feel that the best music they've ever put out was during their first 5 albums. Of course, they've had tons of great songs since then, but the difference is, we've had to sift through some filler to find the great songs, when before, EVERY song on the album used to be great. 

This is ok, as it's part of the natural process for a band that has stayed together as long as PJ has. NO BAND can be on top of its game for as long as PJ has been together, and NO BAND ever has. It brings up the old question of if "it's better to burn out than fade away." 

Pearl Jam is our favorite band, and somehow they're still together, after all these years. This is an absolute blessing, but it's also a curse. It's a curse because even the greatest of bands, (if they don't burn out) do fade away, eventually. That's just the way it is. 

Now, this has just been a very long-winded monologue, of which the only intention was to say that no, I don't care for this new song, but that's ok. Since Binaural, PJ songs have been pretty much hit or miss. If you disagree with that, then you're probably one of the select few who could listen to Eddie fart into a mic, and declare it a masterpiece. If that's the case, I guess you're more of a fan than me. 

I hope this song is just a 10Club single, like I believe it is. Though, it seems to be being promoted as more than that. Who knows? All I know is that the song seems to be very "forced", and void of any depth musically and lyrically. But the same can be said for a lot of PJ's songs over the last decade or so, especially the ones where Ed is seemingly trying to push this "punk rock" vibe onto a band that NEVER was that. 

Now, if 'Cant Deny Me' is somehow intended to be the first single on the new album, it would be the least excited I've ever been for a new record. As one of the biggest PJ fans on this planet (like we all are), it pains me to say that this song is just not very good.  

Post edited by Grimbliss on
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    MP59559 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Rock Songs #32
    Alternative Songs #36

Rock Airplay Chart at #6
    Rock Songs #17
    Alternative Songs #12
    Mainstream Rock #2

Mind Your Manners is just a way better song all around and I think that is why it ranked better. Simple.
    Narp.  It is never that simple.  The mainstream marketing for MYM was HUGE by their standards. You can't just ignore that.

And as far as being better... they are pretty close to the same caliber of song as far as PJs catalog goes.  I give CDM the edge because it doesn't sound like PJ By Numbers like MYM does as well as a lot of the last 2 albums
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Grimbliss said:

Like so many on here, I've been a fan of the band since the beginning. And like many on here, l feel that the best music they've ever put out was during their first 5 albums. Of course, they've had tons of great songs since then, but the difference is, we've had to sift through some filler to find the great songs, when before, EVERY song on the album used to be great. 

This is ok, as it's part of the natural process for a band that has stayed together as long as PJ has. NO BAND can be on top of its game for as long as PJ has been together, and NO BAND ever has. It brings up the old question of if "it's better to burn out than fade away." 

Pearl Jam is our favorite band, and somehow they're still together, after all these years. This is an absolute blessing, but it's also a curse. It's a curse because even the greatest of bands, (if they don't burn out) do fade away, eventually. That's just the way it is. 

Now, this has just been a very long-winded monologue, of which the only intention was to say that no, I don't care for this new song, but that's ok. Since Binaural, PJ songs have been pretty much hit or miss. If you disagree with that, then you're probably one of the select few who could listen to Eddie fart into a mic, and declare it a masterpiece. If that's the case, I guess you're more of a fan than me. 

I hope this song is just a 10Club single, like I believe it is. Though, it seems to be being promoted as more than that. Who knows? All I know is that the song seems to be very "forced", and void of any depth musically and lyrically. But the same can be said for a lot of PJ's songs over the last decade or so, especially the ones where Ed is seemingly trying to push this "punk rock" vibe onto a band that NEVER was that. 

Now, if 'Cant Deny Me' is somehow intended to be the first single on the new album, it would be the least excited I've ever been for a new record. As one of the biggest PJ fans on this planet (like we all are), it pains me to say that this song is just not very good.  

well said and I 100% agree with everything you said.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    It’s still being debated if this is the first single from the album? 

It has been confirmed. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    I love the bass so much. Although i am a jeff lover .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mcgruff10 said:
    Grimbliss said:

well said and I 100% agree with everything you said.
    Why is it that you guys think Ed is pushing some kind of punk rock vibe? It would make sense that the band as a whole would be on the same page and if they weren't all comfortable with it then it wouldn't ever be an official track on a new album. Mike and Ed wrote this song so maybe it's Mike who's responsible for that sound.
    It's a hopeless situation...