Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Yeah, I'd say if anyone is pushing any kind of punk rock thing, it's Mike. He wrote Can't Deny Me and Mind Your Manners.
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    It is a suprisingly simple song for PJ but i still dig it. After a couple weeks of listening to it hear and there. Although the clicking cash register sound is pretty terrible...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    It is a suprisingly simple song for PJ but i still dig it. After a couple weeks of listening to it hear and there. Although the clicking cash register sound is pretty terrible...
    I dig that sound...I don’t know what exactly it isn’t but it’s sounds cool to me.  

I hear it in the live show so not sure how they get a cash register on the stage lol
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I've changed my tune on this song. Listened to it several times a day at first and it didn't click with me. I revisited today and I'm feeling it more. I won't say it's close to a favorite, but I can at least say I like it now.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Always gotta love the "if eddie farted into a mic for two hours you would love it" shit that started with thom yorke/radiohead fans and now PJ complainers have co opted it as their own. Seriously? If i enjoyed their albums as a whole since 2000 (which i do with a few exceptions) then i am somehow incapable of discerning good music from garbage? Maybe, i dont know, my tastes have evolved over the years just as their music has? Or maybe yours has and it no longer aligns with the bands? Either way, just because someone likes most or all of theur wirk does not make them sheep or pj apologist or whatever buzzphrase you choose to use today. It just means they like the music. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i vaguely remember thinking to myself sometime around the No Code days.."what will I do when/if Pearl Jam starts to suck".....well here I am bitching away. that's what i do now.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    vaggar99 said:
    i vaguely remember thinking to myself sometime around the No Code days.."what will I do when/if Pearl Jam starts to suck".....well here I am bitching away. that's what i do now.
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    I love how all there albums have a unique sound and not all are like “ten” or oooh another Yield”. I would have moved on if this groups albums all sounded like ten.  
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    I was just ok with it on first listen. I’ve heard it a bunch on the radio on 92.3 out of New York City and I’m firmly in the “like it” camp.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited March 2018
    I just want to point out that some of the lack of sales with No Code can also be attributed to Vitalogy. It’s an equally divisive record when you sit back and compare them. I think Vitalogy got rid of a lot the “must buy this band’s new album no questions asked”. 

Always gotta love the "if eddie farted into a mic for two hours you would love it" shit that started with thom yorke/radiohead fans and now PJ complainers have co opted it as their own. Seriously? If i enjoyed their albums as a whole since 2000 (which i do with a few exceptions) then i am somehow incapable of discerning good music from garbage? Maybe, i dont know, my tastes have evolved over the years just as their music has? Or maybe yours has and it no longer aligns with the bands? Either way, just because someone likes most or all of theur wirk does not make them sheep or pj apologist or whatever buzzphrase you choose to use today. It just means they like the music. 

There’s plenty of handwringing when it comes to fans of this band. I’m sure there are people that actually like the song, but I don’t get some of the reasoning and justifications that fans have mentioned....I mean, listening to a song that’s couple weeks old 50-100x. That seems weird to me. I listen to a lot of music and I don’t think there’s a song less than a decade old I’ve listened to 100x. No skin off my back what methods people use for their choices, just seems odd to me.

Personally, I just don’t think the song and performance is any good. 

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    I just want to point out that some of the lack of sales with No Code can also be attributed to Vitalogy. It’s an equally divisive record when you sit back and compare them. I think Vitalogy got rid of a lot the “must buy this band’s new album no questions asked”. 

There’s plenty of handwringing when it comes to fans of this band. I’m sure there are people that actually like the song, but I don’t get some of the reasoning and justifications that fans have mentioned....I mean, listening to a song that’s couple weeks old 50-100x. That seems weird to me. I listen to a lot of music and I don’t think there’s a song less than a decade old I’ve listened to 100x. No skin off my back what methods people use for their choices, just seems odd to me.

eh, i do that a lot with my favourite artists. ed, pj, headstones, watchmen, foo, qotsa (my god is the sun-i had it on repeat for days!). then eventually i move on. but new music by my fave bands excite me to that point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    DewieCox said:

eh, i do that a lot with my favourite artists. ed, pj, headstones, watchmen, foo, qotsa (my god is the sun-i had it on repeat for days!). then eventually i move on. but new music by my fave bands excite me to that point. 
    Yeah, I definitely get in a groove when an artist I like releases a new album and can probably listen to the whole thing a few times a day for a couple weeks. The difference being that there's no way I can do that with just 1 song, no matter howgood it is. I've maybe listened to CDM 20 times and still only every other day because I don't want it to become a song that annoys me. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    It is amazing how much a song like Sometimes when I hear it I am still in awe after all of these years.  The older albums are just so much more interesting than the new stuff.  I don’t think it is nostalgia.  

I think the production has been off.  I think josh Homme producing the next album would rival the older stuff.  
  • Options
    GrimblissGrimbliss Posts: 32
    edited March 2018

"Maybe, i dont know, my tastes have evolved over the years just as their music has?"

I know you wrote this as nothing more than a possible explanation, and not your steadfast opinion. But still, it's hard to believe that a song like 'Can't Deny Me' could ever be used as an example of a band "evolving." It would be very difficult to say that with a straight face, even if you love the song. 

It's ok to admit that the band isn't what it used to be. This doesn't make you any less of a fan, it just makes you honest. As I've said before, NO band has ever gotten better this late in the game. And again, that's OK. They're no longer a bunch of kids with no priorities other than creating music. They're no longer in their early 20's, when they wrote so many songs so fast, they couldn't even fit them all onto the albums, despite releasing a new album every year in the '90s, or at least, every other year.

Much like an athlete, bands also have a prime. This doesn't mean that athletes can't have great seasons later in their careers (past their prime), just like PJ has written some great songs later in their career. But the band will never be able recreate those "prime" years of youthful energy and seemingly endless creativity. It's not a "hot take" to say that the band's best material came from the time when they were at their creative peak. It's just common sense. The guys are older now, with families, and other priorities. 

I still love Pearl Jam, and still love a good portion of the new material they put out. But trust me, bands that have their creative juices brimming don't go 5 or 6 years between new albums. I hate to use the word "obligation." But I think it's safe to say that making new albums is truly more of an obligation, at this point, than it is a necessity. In their prime, putting out albums was a necessity - they were in a creative frenzy, and couldn't release their art fast enough. 

Post edited by Grimbliss on
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Grimbliss said:

Like so many on here, I've been a fan of the band since the beginning. And like many on here, l feel that the best music they've ever put out was during their first 5 albums. Of course, they've had tons of great songs since then, but the difference is, we've had to sift through some filler to find the great songs, when before, EVERY song on the album used to be great. 

This is ok, as it's part of the natural process for a band that has stayed together as long as PJ has. NO BAND can be on top of its game for as long as PJ has been together, and NO BAND ever has. It brings up the old question of if "it's better to burn out than fade away." 

Pearl Jam is our favorite band, and somehow they're still together, after all these years. This is an absolute blessing, but it's also a curse. It's a curse because even the greatest of bands, (if they don't burn out) do fade away, eventually. That's just the way it is. 

Now, this has just been a very long-winded monologue, of which the only intention was to say that no, I don't care for this new song, but that's ok. Since Binaural, PJ songs have been pretty much hit or miss. If you disagree with that, then you're probably one of the select few who could listen to Eddie fart into a mic, and declare it a masterpiece. If that's the case, I guess you're more of a fan than me. 

I hope this song is just a 10Club single, like I believe it is. Though, it seems to be being promoted as more than that. Who knows? All I know is that the song seems to be very "forced", and void of any depth musically and lyrically. But the same can be said for a lot of PJ's songs over the last decade or so, especially the ones where Ed is seemingly trying to push this "punk rock" vibe onto a band that NEVER was that. 

Now, if 'Cant Deny Me' is somehow intended to be the first single on the new album, it would be the least excited I've ever been for a new record. As one of the biggest PJ fans on this planet (like we all are), it pains me to say that this song is just not very good.  

well said and I 100% agree with everything you said.
    Why is it that you guys think Ed is pushing some kind of punk rock vibe? It would make sense that the band as a whole would be on the same page and if they weren't all comfortable with it then it wouldn't ever be an official track on a new album. Mike and Ed wrote this song so maybe it's Mike who's responsible for that sound.
    I'm sorry to disappoint you but "Can't Deny Me" is for sure the 1st single of the new album!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    jtr101jtr101 Posts: 260
    Grimbliss said:

"Maybe, i dont know, my tastes have evolved over the years just as their music has?"

I know you wrote this as nothing more than a possible explanation, and not your steadfast opinion. But still, it's hard to believe that a song like 'Can't Deny Me' could ever be used as an example of a band "evolving." It would be very difficult to say that with a straight face, even if you love the song. 

It's ok to admit that the band isn't what it used to be. This doesn't make you any less of a fan, it just makes you honest. As I've said before, NO band has ever gotten better this late in the game. And again, that's OK. They're no longer a bunch of kids with no priorities other than creating music. They're no longer in their early 20's, when they wrote so many songs so fast, they couldn't even fit them all onto the albums, despite releasing a new album every year in the '90s, or at least, every other year.

Much like an athlete, bands also have a prime. This doesn't mean that athletes can't have great seasons later in their careers (past their prime), just like PJ has written some great songs later in their career. But the band will never be able recreate those "prime" years of youthful energy and seemingly endless creativity. It's not a "hot take" to say that the band's best material came from the time when they were at their creative peak. It's just common sense. The guys are older now, with families, and other priorities. 

I still love Pearl Jam, and still love a good portion of the new material they put out. But trust me, bands that have their creative juices brimming don't go 5 or 6 years between new albums. I hate to use the word "obligation." But I think it's safe to say that making new albums is truly more of an obligation, at this point, than it is a necessity. In their prime, putting out albums was a necessity - they were in a creative frenzy, and couldn't release their art fast enough. 

Great post right here!!! 
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Grimbliss said:

Like so many on here, I've been a fan of the band since the beginning. And like many on here, l feel that the best music they've ever put out was during their first 5 albums. Of course, they've had tons of great songs since then, but the difference is, we've had to sift through some filler to find the great songs, when before, EVERY song on the album used to be great. 

This is ok, as it's part of the natural process for a band that has stayed together as long as PJ has. NO BAND can be on top of its game for as long as PJ has been together, and NO BAND ever has. It brings up the old question of if "it's better to burn out than fade away." 

Pearl Jam is our favorite band, and somehow they're still together, after all these years. This is an absolute blessing, but it's also a curse. It's a curse because even the greatest of bands, (if they don't burn out) do fade away, eventually. That's just the way it is. 

Now, this has just been a very long-winded monologue, of which the only intention was to say that no, I don't care for this new song, but that's ok. Since Binaural, PJ songs have been pretty much hit or miss. If you disagree with that, then you're probably one of the select few who could listen to Eddie fart into a mic, and declare it a masterpiece. If that's the case, I guess you're more of a fan than me. 

I hope this song is just a 10Club single, like I believe it is. Though, it seems to be being promoted as more than that. Who knows? All I know is that the song seems to be very "forced", and void of any depth musically and lyrically. But the same can be said for a lot of PJ's songs over the last decade or so, especially the ones where Ed is seemingly trying to push this "punk rock" vibe onto a band that NEVER was that. 

Now, if 'Cant Deny Me' is somehow intended to be the first single on the new album, it would be the least excited I've ever been for a new record. As one of the biggest PJ fans on this planet (like we all are), it pains me to say that this song is just not very good.  

well said and I 100% agree with everything you said.
    Why is it that you guys think Ed is pushing some kind of punk rock vibe? It would make sense that the band as a whole would be on the same page and if they weren't all comfortable with it then it wouldn't ever be an official track on a new album. Mike and Ed wrote this song so maybe it's Mike who's responsible for that sound.
    I'm sorry to disappoint you but "Can't Deny Me" is for sure the 1st single of the new album!
    I know it is and I never said I was disappointed. What about my post indicates otherwise? I don't care which direction they go with their sound.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Grimbliss said:

Great post.  
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Grimbliss said:

I shouldn't have used the word "evolve", since that actually means "progress". I meant "changed". that might have negated the need for pretty much your entire post. LOL

I like the song. All I was saying was i can't stand people who, as soon as you say you like the new PJ song/album, you are automatically a "sheep" who likes everything the band puts out. "only a true fan knows that Binaural was their best work" type of bullshit. same as people who like the song and shit all over someone who doesn't and paints them as someone who hasn't liked the band since Vitalogy. 

the rest you are just preaching to the choir. this is all stuff we all already know. especially as a musician myself, I know that my creativity was at a fever pitch in my 20's, sometimes writing several songs simultaneously. Now, not so much. it helped that my band jammed 3-5 a week back then. 

except the last bit. You think that a band who can barely get their shit together for their annual single "obligation" puts out a whole record out of that feeling? highly doubtful. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I know this was for Porch and not CDM but.this had to be funny last night:

18. Porch  (during Porch the new globes come down from the light rigging.  They are sturdier and larger than the old globes so the band doesn’t destroy them.  During the instrumental break Ed puts on a Trump mask with a red clown nose and dances around.  He pulls it off to finish the song.  Audience member throws up a sign that Ed waves a bit.  The song ends with Ed slamming the mic stand)
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074
    I really like the song.  Thats it.  Its one song and I like the vibe and energy of it.  Cant wait to hear some more new stuff.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Sarava said:
    Yeah, I'd say if anyone is pushing any kind of punk rock thing, it's Mike. He wrote Can't Deny Me and Mind Your Manners.
    And Sirens...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    adamg5 said:
    I love how all there albums have a unique sound and not all are like “ten” or oooh another Yield”. I would have moved on if this groups albums all sounded like ten.  
    I don't get this comment (people say this kind of thing a lot). Who in the hell actually things all their albums should sound like Ten? (I certainly don't, since albums 4 - 8 are their best ones, lol ;) ). Just because some people don't like what they're doing now, it doesn't mean they want them to make albums that sound like albums they already did. I just want their new albums to be totally new... and totally good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i miss the band's sense of melody.  but at least they aren't doing Kelly Clarkson knockoffs like Green Day...Or, is that next?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Where is the punk rock sound in this song? I keep seeing this mentioned but I'm not hearing it. Sounds just like another mellow PJ rock song, which is fine, not complaining. What am I missing? Where is the punk rock sound? I love music and I listen to every variety of it, I just can't find where the punk rock comparison comes from....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    Where is the punk rock sound in this song? I keep seeing this mentioned but I'm not hearing it. Sounds just like another mellow PJ rock song, which is fine, not complaining. What am I missing? Where is the punk rock sound? I love music and I listen to every variety of it, I just can't find where the punk rock comparison comes from....
    It’s a way to justify Ed sounding rough.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,422
    DewieCox said:
    Attaway77 said:
    It’s a way to justify Ed sounding rough.
    Ed sounds fine
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Sounds like he’s trying to shit razor blades.