Options

Am I overreacting by being upset at this Seinfeld joke?

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    I know I posted the quote earlier in this thread -- but since I read something Mark Twain shared back when I was in high school I always believed in it --- "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand"
    It is different for everyone - but for me I typically laugh when I'm angry, sad, confused, lost, happy, etc --- it truly is my best medicine. 

Clearly you do not share this feeling and should never watch Seinfeld, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. 
    Stick with kid comedy or something that you know will stay in the strike zone so that you can get the laughter that will make you feel better.
    Accept that what many find funny, you will never.
    Who cares what Mark Twain said. Is it dogma now?
    I care.  And I appreciate its context and sentiment.

Well, I don't
    I don't despise you, but I don't get your rudeness - especially in light of all of the times you've reached out to people here in times of trouble, and they reached in to you in kindness.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I didn't think sharing the Mark Twain quote would offend you.  I'm sorry for commenting in your thread.  Disagreement is clearly an offense causing activity.  
    :anguished:
    Where did I say the Twain quote offended me?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    I know I posted the quote earlier in this thread -- but since I read something Mark Twain shared back when I was in high school I always believed in it --- "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand"
    It is different for everyone - but for me I typically laugh when I'm angry, sad, confused, lost, happy, etc --- it truly is my best medicine. 

Clearly you do not share this feeling and should never watch Seinfeld, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. 
    Stick with kid comedy or something that you know will stay in the strike zone so that you can get the laughter that will make you feel better.
    Accept that what many find funny, you will never.
    Who cares what Mark Twain said. Is it dogma now?
    I care.  And I appreciate its context and sentiment.

Well, I don't
    I don't despise you, but I don't get your rudeness - especially in light of all of the times you've reached out to people here in times of trouble, and they reached in to you in kindness.
    WTH, how am I being rude?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    And what is that meant to mean?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Let's everybody rip one sip one slip one, and listen to some Pearl Jam.

Funniest Pearl Jam song??
    What is it?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    rgambs said:

What is it?
    Olympic Platinum
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Soon Forget?

Don't say Dirty Frank.
    Don't even do it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    And what is that meant to mean?
    It’s a gif about nothing. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    rgambs said:

What is it?
    Olympic Platinum
    I have a second cousin who’s dream of becoming an Olympic race walker was ruined by an odd set of circumstances involving a horse, a pair of scissors, and a bottle of whiskey. I’ve always been offended by this song. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Also, found this offensive. Making fun of a distressed mother whose baby got taken and killed by a dingo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTIGXvc88Y

Actually, just quit on Seinfeld. It's not for you. Never thought I'd say those words. But if this dingo gag offends you, then I just don't think this relationship (between you and the show) is going to work. 
    Wait a minute....the "dingo ate your baby" thing offended you too? What?

Thoughts Arrive! Come on man......jeez, the more I read through this thread the more your lack of a sense of humor offends me.
    Yep it sure did. What if your child went missing and your cry for help was made fun of by someone?

I have a sense of humor thank you very much.
    I hate to ruin the Simpsons for you again but....go to 1:10, Bart says "Hey you're Australian. I think I hear a dingo eating your baby." You should return your Simpsons box set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FGVh1dj0A
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Also, found this offensive. Making fun of a distressed mother whose baby got taken and killed by a dingo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTIGXvc88Y

Actually, just quit on Seinfeld. It's not for you. Never thought I'd say those words. But if this dingo gag offends you, then I just don't think this relationship (between you and the show) is going to work. 
    Wait a minute....the "dingo ate your baby" thing offended you too? What?

Thoughts Arrive! Come on man......jeez, the more I read through this thread the more your lack of a sense of humor offends me.
    Yep it sure did. What if your child went missing and your cry for help was made fun of by someone?

I have a sense of humor thank you very much.
    I hate to ruin the Simpsons for you again but....go to 1:10, Bart says "Hey you're Australian. I think I hear a dingo eating your baby." You should return your Simpsons box set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FGVh1dj0A
    Yeah well that's not funny. The Seinfeld suicide joke was more offensive as it's something personal with me.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ridicule me all you like. It only makes you people look like unkind individuals. If something is offensive to someone then that should be respected instead of trying to tear someone apart. I was close to not renewing my membership here this month now I regret renewing. This community isn't what it makes itself out to be. More bad here than good.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    edited December 2017

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off but this this discussion is a bit judgmental.  I didn’t get the impression from the OP that Thoughts Arrive was asking for approval of his sense of humor—he’d bought a box set and was wondering if he’d wasted his money and should try to sell it.  Instead the comments have been about his supposed lack of taste in comedy.  To each his own.  When it comes to comedy, there’s something for everybody.  Millions of people still watch I Love Lucy.  (Never was a fan.)

For years I’ve heard that comedy is being toned down to be PC and keep from offending people, which I don’t believe.  I still see comics pushing boundaries.  Yes, the late Don Rickles was the master of putdowns.  But his shtick was insulting individuals, not taking on social issues. 

I’ve seen this example given before, but a few years ago Chris Rock told a joke on SNL about 9/11.  As a native New Yorker, I think he has more license than I do.  I thought the joke was funny; my husband thought it crossed a line.  About 20 years ago, I heard Rock do a routine on sexual harassment.  It was offensive as hell but it was also pretty damn ass funny.  OTOH I like a lot of dark humor.  

Ya’ll are saying no subject should be off limits, but I think even comics observe some boundaries.  I remember reading an article about Joan Rivers years ago.  She gave an example of a joke she made about Karen Carpenter shortly after her death.  She told it 3 times and each audience gasped rather than laughed.  She filed the joke away and said it would be funny someday, just not then.

As far as “the dingo ate my baby” jokes, I thought that got explained.  TA said if you’re making fun of how Meryl Streep said it in the movie, that’s funny.  If you’re making fun of the actual mother whose baby was killed by a dingo and then she was falsely convicted of murder, that’s not so funny.  I think half the problem for Americans is the fact that the damn critters are called dingoes.  “A coyote killed my baby” just doesn’t have the same effect, although I’m sure Streep could give the right inflection.

I realize it’s the internet but sheesh, enough with razzing people because they don’t share your sense of humor.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ridicule me all you like. It only makes you people look like unkind individuals. If something is offensive to someone then that should be respected instead of trying to tear someone apart. I was close to not renewing my membership here this month now I regret renewing. This community isn't what it makes itself out to be. More bad here than good.
    You really need to relax and not take life so seriously. I’m not trying to ridicule. I’m just trying to point out that you seem inconsistent based off of which show is making the, relatively, same kind of joke. 

Regarding the suicide joke and it being personal to you: my brother had an eating disorder and was suicidal at times when he was in high school and, irony of ironies for this particular thread, I had to talk him out of slitting his wrist on the night of the Seinfeld series finale back in 1998. He also tried to overdose on pills so after I got the knife away from him, we got him to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. It was a surreal, emotional night but, yada yada yada, he’s fine now. But I can’t help but think of that night every time I watch that episode. Even so I’ve never felt offended by this joke. My brother has even joked about his struggles back then from time to time. 

I just find it odd that you’re willing to overlook The Simpsons making the same kinds of jokes—that’s what doesn’t make sense to me and I was hoping that by pointing out that if your favorite show did the same kind of thing and it didn’t bother you; then perhaps you’d realize you were overreacting and maybe you won’t end up depriving yourself of the best comedy in television history. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off but this this discussion is a bit judgmental.  I didn’t get the impression from the OP that Thoughts Arrive was asking for approval of his sense of humor—he’d bought a box set and was wondering if he’d wasted his money and should try to sell it.  Instead the comments have been about his supposed lack of taste in comedy.  To each his own.  When it comes to comedy, there’s something for everybody.  Millions of people still watch I Love Lucy.  (Never was a fan.)

For years I’ve heard that comedy is being toned down to be PC and keep from offending people, which I don’t believe.  I still see comics pushing boundaries.  Yes, the late Don Rickles was the master of putdowns.  But his shtick was insulting individuals, not taking on social issues. 

I’ve seen this example given before, but a few years ago Chris Rock told a joke on SNL about 9/11.  As a native New Yorker, I think he has more license than I do.  I thought the joke was funny; my husband thought it crossed a line.  About 20 years ago, I heard Rock do a routine on sexual harassment.  It was offensive as hell but it was also pretty damn ass funny.  OTOH I like a lot of dark humor.  

Ya’ll are saying no subject should be off limits, but I think even comics observe some boundaries.  I remember reading an article about Joan Rivers years ago.  She gave an example of a joke she made about Karen Carpenter shortly after her death.  She told it 3 times and each audience gasped rather than laughed.  She filed the joke away and said it would be funny someday, just not then.

As far as “the dingo ate my baby” jokes, I thought that got explained.  TA said if you’re making fun of how Meryl Streep said it in the movie, that’s funny.  If you’re making fun of the actual mother whose baby was killed by a dingo and then she was falsely convicted of murder, that’s not so funny.  I think half the problem for Americans is the fact that the damn critters are called dingoes.  “A coyote killed my baby” just doesn’t have the same effect, although I’m sure Streep could give the right inflection.

I realize it’s the internet but sheesh, enough with razzing people because they don’t share your sense of humor.
    Read the thread title. The Seinfeld joke was a secondary topic to the original question. “Am I over reacting by being offended”? While the thread was derailed at times it was mostly on point. 

Im going to derail since it already is. Nothing against OP, he did not do this. This is a general statement. Trump partially was elected because too many people get offended by things and want that thing taken away from the rest of us. For god sake there is a movement to have Sleeping Beauty removed from school libraries because the Prince didn’t have her consent to kiss her. What’s next, no more humpty dumpy as a nursery rhyme because it makes fun of him for being rotund? Some of us that love the South Parks and Chapelle shows are now on the defensive to protect what we love. So OP now knows this show is not for him. Sell the DVD’s or give them away. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Read the thread title. The Seinfeld joke was a secondary topic to the original question. “Am I over reacting by being offended”? While the thread was derailed at times it was mostly on point. 

Im going to derail since it already is. Nothing against OP, he did not do this. This is a general statement. Trump partially was elected because too many people get offended by things and want that thing taken away from the rest of us. For god sake there is a movement to have Sleeping Beauty removed from school libraries because the Prince didn’t have her consent to kiss her. What’s next, no more humpty dumpy as a nursery rhyme because it makes fun of him for being rotund? Some of us that love the South Parks and Chapelle shows are now on the defensive to protect what we love. So OP now knows this show is not for him. Sell the DVD’s or give them away. 
    I read the thread title.  I just think people have been giving him kind of a hard time because his sense of humor is different from theirs.  I like edgy humor and I have a feeling that I can tell more warped jokes than most of the people I know.  The reason I know that is because sometimes people don't get my sense of humor at all.  But I don't need to defend what I do or don't find funny.  I just don't make those jokes when I see that it bothers some people.

I can't draw a line between editing Sleeping Beauty and taking Chapelle off the air.  There have always been small minded people who want to shelter kids from things they perceive as harmful, usually to children's detriment.  I still see comics pushing boundaries of humor and I don't think that will change.  For the most part I enjoy it, although there are some comics that I aren't to my tastes. 

And don't think the Trump crowd doesn't appreciate crude humor.  My sister and her husband listen to a comedy channel on Sirius called Blue Collar Radio or something like that.  Redneck Radio would be the best name for it.  I can't stand to ride in the car with them because they're laughing at the most god awful jokes, a lot of them fairly explicit.  It's like the fact they can get away with talking about sex makes them hilarious, no matter how stupid the joke is.

There's plenty to be said about what is or isn't appropriate humor.  Disagreement is fine; we're all different people. Just saying there's no need to make fun of somebody because they don't share the same sense of humor.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Well said Who P and thank you for being able to read what was written by the OP and register their true intentions.
    The UG hive mind that keeps bubbling to the surface around here is what keeps me away much of the time. People are allowed to have different view points, without having to be hammered repeatedly until they agree or go away just it will stop. 
    Very poor form on a few around here.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I guess I’m overlooking some offensive undertones. The way I’ve read it, a lot of people have told op to try not to be offended so easily or that they aren’t offended in the slightest by the Seinfeld joke and other things as/more offensive. OP didn’t get the answer he was wanting or expecting and what always happens(people on different sides going to extremes) happened. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    @The Juggler
    I hope that your second cousin is OK with how things turned out.  Life can be cruel.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    @The Juggler
    I hope that your second cousin is OK with how things turned out.  Life can be cruel.
    Thanks for asking. He's much better now. This is Gary on the left doing his morning routine at the KOP Mall

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Great to see/hear!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Well said Who P and thank you for being able to read what was written by the OP and register their true intentions.
    The UG hive mind that keeps bubbling to the surface around here is what keeps me away much of the time. People are allowed to have different view points, without having to be hammered repeatedly until they agree or go away just it will stop. 
    It's an open forum. Unfortunately, reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

Having said that, more than a few folks did specifically answer the OP's questions -- basically, yes, there are more distasteful jokes, so do yourself a favor and stop watching -- in the beginning of this thread.

But apparently, true to his form of asking for advice and then not taking it, he kept watching anyway until there was another joke to offend him that he could bring up here to get even more attention, which he then took as ridicule -- and maybe one or two comments were of that nature but certainly not a whole hive.

You're not despised, @Thoughts_Arrive . If you were, people wouldn't keep trying to help you. You're just annoying at times. So am I. So is everyone who has posted in this thread. Some especially so. But we're all in this thing together. We all have to live with ourselves and each other if we so choose. If we can change the traits about us that lead to continued conflict without losing too much of ourselves along the way, then that's part of the journey. If we can't, then tolerance is also part of the journey. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    dankind said:
    It's an open forum. Unfortunately, reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

Having said that, more than a few folks did specifically answer the OP's questions -- basically, yes, there are more distasteful jokes, so do yourself a favor and stop watching -- in the beginning of this thread.

But apparently, true to his form of asking for advice and then not taking it, he kept watching anyway until there was another joke to offend him that he could bring up here to get even more attention, which he then took as ridicule -- and maybe one or two comments were of that nature but certainly not a whole hive.

You're not despised, @Thoughts_Arrive . If you were, people wouldn't keep trying to help you. You're just annoying at times. So am I. So is everyone who has posted in this thread. Some especially so. But we're all in this thing together. We all have to live with ourselves and each other if we so choose. If we can change the traits about us that lead to continued conflict without losing too much ourselves along the way, then that's part of the journey. If we can't, then tolerance is also part of the journey. 
    YOU'RE part of the journey.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Can't go wrong with insight plus humor.

I :heart: DK and Juggs.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    dankind said:

You're not despised, @Thoughts_Arrive . If you were, people wouldn't keep trying to help you. You're just annoying at times. So am I. So is everyone who has posted in this thread. Some especially so. But we're all in this thing together. We all have to live with ourselves and each other if we so choose. If we can change the traits about us that lead to continued conflict without losing too much ourselves along the way, then that's part of the journey. If we can't, then tolerance is also part of the journey. 

As long as DK is not the destination, I'm okay with that ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dankind said:

As long as DK is not the destination, I'm okay with that ;)

I SAW PEARL JAM