Options

**Official** Bourbon thread

8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
so as to not derail the secret santa thread more than we already have...i bring you the official (with stars included) bourbon thread....

ready

go

ok...i'll go first....

love me some Single Barrel...

So far...Evan Willams is at the top of my list, followed by the Eagle Rare

might have to try some of this...Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel, which clocks in at an impressive 62%

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Four_Rose ... 92642.html

for cheap shit, i like Jim Beam black or really cheap.. Jim Beam white.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,471
    Jim Beam Black is awesome. Haven't had a lot of single barrel bourbon.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I don't like bourbon...well, ok, I haven't had bourbon that I like

I like a nice Irish Whiskey...like the kind I was carrying around at Alpine

and for you cheap folks, Vanilla flavored alcohol infused whipped cream will do...but only enough cans to compensate for the price of one nice bottle of whiskey.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Maker's Mark.

Enough said.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Jim Beam Black is awesome. Haven't had a lot of single barrel bourbon.

the single barrel stuff is suppose to be the better stuff...ie it typically sits around in the barrel longer and also gets the prime spots in the ageing house....allowing it to soak up more flavor.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Basil Hayden's on Monday
    Hirsch Select on Tuesdays
    Bookers on Wednesdays
    Blanton's on Thursdays
    Gentleman Jack's on Wednesday
    Pappy Van Winkles's On Saturday
    Evan Williams on Sunday

Of course this was before the heart attack...
    Post the Heart Attack, you can replace based on the following Key

Monday = 50th Birthday
    Tuesday = 25th Anniversary
    Wednesday = Birth of first Grandchild
    Thursday = Retirement
    Friday = 50th Anniversary
    Saturday = Saturday :twisted:
    Sunday = Death Bed
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    shouldnt this thread have misspellings, yelling, maybe someone hurling for good measure? Along with completely out of the blue left turns as to where this thing goes? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    shouldnt this thread have misspellings, yelling, maybe someone hurling for good measure? Along with completely out of the blue left turns as to where this thing goes? :mrgreen:

we've just started...check back next week.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Basil Hayden's on Monday
    Hirsch Select on Tuesdays
    Bookers on Wednesdays
    Blanton's on Thursdays
    Gentleman Jack's on Wednesday
    Pappy Van Winkles's On Saturday
    Evan Williams on Sunday

Of course this was before the heart attack...
    Post the Heart Attack, you can replace based on the following Key

Monday = 50th Birthday
    Tuesday = 25th Anniversary
    Wednesday = Birth of first Grandchild
    Thursday = Retirement
    Friday = 50th Anniversary
    Saturday = Saturday :twisted:
    Sunday = Death Bed

what the hell are you doing here....don't you have some getting well to do. :P

i had some Pappy, but it was the lower end stuff....i wouldn't buy it again, although i would be open to trying the older higher aged stuff.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:

i had some Pappy, but it was the lower end stuff....i wouldn't buy it again, although i would be open to trying the older higher aged stuff.
    Bourbon talk is soothing :mrgreen:
    Yeah the aged stuff is better...
    Shall we try a monthly taste test... Everybody get a new bottle and we sip and talk?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

we've just started...check back next week.
    fucking lightweights!!!!! :mrgreen::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    http://www.fourroses.us/

my favorite drink of all times..

c3aac59c4b848e55c40f059cc52f4867.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    oh..and i have a friend..he use to drink Bourbon in the past..
    some Adam something..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr_nhIFVp7c3GC5c3Yny96JpIzAZG8S8zN-kdww0TG3fBUnEO8
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Bourbon talk is soothing :mrgreen:
    Yeah the aged stuff is better...
    Shall we try a monthly taste test... Everybody get a new bottle and we sip and talk?

i'd be down for that...

i agree on Bourbonn being a nice relaxing night cap sort of drink.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:

get your non bourbon booze out of this thread. :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    my favorite drink of all times..

pink lemonade?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Bourbon is a type of American whiskey – a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name of the spirit derives from its historical association with an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky (which, in turn, was named after the French House of Bourbon royal family). It has been produced since the 18th century.[1] While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with Kentucky specifically, and the American South in general.

neener-neener

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Maker's Mark.

Enough said.
    couldn't agree more.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Bourbon is a type of American whiskey – a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name of the spirit derives from its historical association with an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky (which, in turn, was named after the French House of Bourbon royal family). It has been produced since the 18th century.[1] While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with Kentucky specifically, and the American South in general.

neener-neener
    riiiiiiiiight. And what does Scotch have to do with Kentucky Bourbon? Wouldn't the grain used be the detrmining factor? Also does aging the scotch occur in a charred oak barrel?

• Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Mmmmmm.... Bourbon....
    Woodford
    Maker's Mark
    Four Roses
    Papp Van Winkle
    Basil Haydens in an Old Fashioned is the fucking best
    Bulleit RYE
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

neener-neener

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for consumption within the United States[4] must meet these requirements:

Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.[5]
    Bourbon must be made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[6]
    Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.[6]
    Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).[6]
    Bourbon must be entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).[6]
    Bourbon, like other whiskeys, must be bottled at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume).[7]
    Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period, although it must be aged at least briefly.[8] However, the following definitions and requirements apply that relate to aging periods:
    Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and has no added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called Straight bourbon.[9]
    Bourbon that is labeled as Straight that has been aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.[10]
    Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a Bourbon that is labeled as Blended, as neutral grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).[11]
    Bourbon that is labeled as Blended (or as ‘a blend’) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); however, at least 51% of such a product must be Straight Bourbon.[12][13]
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    and IMO...bourbon must come from KY. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Maker's or Weller's.
    yup. :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    knob-creek-bourbon-230.gif

Yum yum yum!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Fuck Knob Creek

sorry..had to do it. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    81 wrote:
    Fuck Knob Creek

sorry..had to do it. :P

:lol: Never gets old, does it?!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    and IMO...bourbon must come from KY. :lol:
    I prefered Jack over Jim. And occasional would toss back Turkey.

• Options
    Bourbon:
    The typical grain mixture for bourbon, known as the mash bill, is 70% corn — with the remainder being wheat and/or rye, and malted barley

Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon

Whiskey:

Under the legislation, “Scotch Whisky” means whisky that has been:

Produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley (to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added)

both are aged in oak barrels, Bourbon being the only one aged in charred barrels to gain color, aging is not determined for bourbon, but whiskey must be aged for a minimum of 3 years to attain a natural coloring.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    knob-creek-bourbon-230.gif

Yum yum yum!

Being the immature 23 year old that I am, everytime I read "knob" on this bottle I laugh a little bit.

:)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    oh, so 'technically' ALL bourbons are whiskey, but not all whiskeys are bourbon.

- Christopher McCandless