Options

**Official** Bourbon thread

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I tried my very first taste of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old. Very pricey for 2oz. pour, but I was on vacation ,so I said Fuck it!!! Yummy stuff, very, very smooth.

8-)

definalty on my to find list.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Hartydog wrote:
    I tried my very first taste of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old. Very pricey for 2oz. pour, but I was on vacation ,so I said Fuck it!!! Yummy stuff, very, very smooth.

Ahh the Van Winkle. Once had a chance to get some of the 20 myself in a restaurant but it was $30 so I passed. Next time I went back they didn't have any. Definitely diving in the next time I see it.

they have a couple at the local whisky shop for 35 a pop. yikes. for that i'll buy a bottle...but it is tempting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:
    Hartydog wrote:

Ahh the Van Winkle. Once had a chance to get some of the 20 myself in a restaurant but it was $30 so I passed. Next time I went back they didn't have any. Definitely diving in the next time I see it.

they have a couple at the local whisky shop for 35 a pop. yikes. for that i'll buy a bottle...but it is tempting.
    Worth it
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Worth it

i'm sure it is....but i struggle with the cheapness inside. 35 for one pour, or 4-5 times that for 10-15 pours.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:
    Worth it

i'm sure it is....but i struggle with the cheapness inside. 35 for one pour, or 4-5 times that for 10-15 pours.
    PM me your Paypal... First ones on me...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Worth it

PM me your Paypal... First ones on me...

thanks for the generous offer....but i'll wait until i find a bottle. send the cash to OKC or to somebody that really needs it. :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Maker's Mark- love it on the rocks or julep style in the summer. I don't frown on my jim beam (though it is often too sweet for me) and though that bottle of Jefferson recently posted looked divine...I might pass it up for a a nice whiskey... :) Back to my spot in the shadows now :silent:
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    I'm drinking some Makers myself tonight.
  • Options
    time for a quick little splash....before passing out
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    81 wrote:
    I've said those very same words at least 100 times! :lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    I've said those very same words at least 100 times! :lol:

it appears passing out is a relative term. :fp:

back to shitty sleeping
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,045
    I know this is not a bourbon, but Templeton Rye is very tasty. I tried some last night with a couple of ice cubes. I'm really digging some of the Rye Whiskies lately. :thumbup:
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I know this is not a bourbon, but Templeton Rye is very tasty. I tried some last night with a couple of ice cubes. I'm really digging some of the Rye Whiskies lately. :thumbup:

:think: i think truck had that at last years brewers outting. i do not recall much about it... may need to branch out in to whiskey's a bit more.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    picked this up the other day

ndtau.jpg

:mrgreen:

it's officciaiaiiaialllll.

i'm gonna miss this bottle when it's gone :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    for cheap shit, i like Jim Beam black or really cheap.. Jim Beam white.

those are swill...the mich ultra of bourbon....do you self a favor and try something better :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    80244007737.jpg

A very good bourbon, $32 a bottle.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    80244007737.jpg

A very good bourbon, $32 a bottle.

had it..not bad...

almost picked up a bottle of the four rose single barrel small batch...then i was like...fuck...i've spent way to much on bourbon lately and settled for soem beer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    Yes its strange that I would be the one posting this but.....
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ation.html

By Janet Patton

Lexington Herald-Leader Wednesday June 26, 2013 3:37 AM

Comments: 2

Tweet

NEW YORK — In April, the whiskey axis tipped.

“You have just landed on the soil of the home of bourbon, America’s native spirit,” Bill Newlands, North American president of Beam Inc., told international spirits experts at the World Whiskies Conference.

For the first time, the annual global business summit, a gathering of the world’s movers and shakers in the brown-liquor trade, was held in New York — not London, not Scotland. What’s more, the star attraction had the distinct oaky flavor of Kentucky.

Welcome to the Big Bourbon Nation.

The experts came to celebrate the achievements of two Kentucky legends — Jimmy Russell of Wild Turkey and Jim Rutledge of Four Roses, who were inducted into Whisky Magazine’s Icons of Whisky Hall of Fame.

They came to dissect the recent success of American whiskey.

And they came to taste the competition.

The night before the conference, hundreds of enthusiasts gathered to sample more than 300 whiskies — from Indian single-malt to Irish whiskey finished in bourbon barrels, and every permutation in between.

Side by side with the peaty Laphroiag scotch, the sophisticated Johnny Walker and the quirky That Boutique-y Whiskey Co. were Kentucky wares: There was Russell pouring samples of his latest Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel bourbon; Evan Williams’ representatives extolling the virtues of its new Larceny bourbon; and Jim Beam’s mustachioed ambassador beside a whole bar devoted to mixing Maker’s Mark cocktails.

Bourbon was the belle of the ball, and by the end of the night, even the guys in kilts were paying attention.

The reason is clear: American whiskey is winning the world over. Formerly fuddy-duddy brown spirits are starting to look as white-hot as vodka.

In 2012, for the first time in recent memory, whiskey sales increased faster than those of vodka, gin, tequila and other spirits. According to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, the alcohol industry trade group, last year’s 3.6 percent growth in sales of U.S. whiskey was the biggest increase in 30 years. Revenue is climbing even faster — up 6.7 percent in 2012 to $6.4 billion — thanks to the strong sales of high-end and super-premium products, which now account for 80 percent of the gain.

Much of that momentum came from bourbon, which surged 11.9 percent last year, the second year in a row for double-digit gains.

“The bourbon boom is real,” Newlands said in New York. “Today, bourbon is the fastest-growing category in this country. When did you think you would hear that comment? It’s now the No. 3 category within this country, and before this year is over, it will be the second-largest category in our industry in this country.”

Beam Inc. grew 10 percent worldwide last year, Newlands said, moving through a presentation showing Beam’s array of brand extensions — everything from Jim Beam Honey and Red Stag Black Cherry flavored whiskies to Jacob’s Ghost, a nearly white, barely aged bourbon, and Devil’s Cut, a woody-tasting bourbon product purportedly derived by extracting alcohol that soaks into barrels.

Sales growth was even stronger for Beam’s premium brands: Maker’s Mark, up 15 percent; Knob Creek, up 24 percent; and Basil Hayden, up 35 percent.

“We’re the largest bourbon in the world, the second-largest American whiskey, largest individual spirit in Australia, largest American whiskey in Germany,” he said. “Jim Beam alone did over 7 million cases worldwide last year.”

The boom has been building for a long time: For the past decade, revenue of bourbon and its cousin, Tennessee whiskey, have soared, up 28.3 percent since 2003, to more than $2.2 billion last year.

Much of the growth came in Kentucky, where 95 percent of all bourbon is made, and Tennessee, home of Jack Daniel’s, a variation on bourbon.

Then Newlands posed a question: “How big can bourbon be?”

His answer: huge.

“I’m here to tell you today I think this could be the next massive spirit category worldwide for our business,” he said. “We believe it, and we think the consumer believes it, too.”

Kentucky’s bourbon distilleries are banking on it. They (and the state) are investing more than $300 million to capitalize on that growth.

At the rate Kentucky distilleries are turning out bourbon, they will need the capacity. Last year, they filled a million barrels for the first time since 1973. They are likely to fill at least that many this year. Old warehouses that haven’t been used for storage in years are filled to capacity again, distillers say.

It’s all an attempt to keep up with growing demand.

Russell, Wild Turkey’s master distiller, has seen it all in his nearly 60 years in the business.

“We used to do 70 to 80 barrels a day. It’s 560 barrels a day now,” Russell said. Wild Turkey has more than 500,000 barrels in storage and expects to have another 50,000-barrel rickhouse ready by October.

“We’re planning on the future. We’re not making something to sell tomorrow. We’re making bourbon for six or seven years down the road,” Russell said. “And I’m hoping I’m around to sell it.”
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bourbon is on fire right now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    bourbon is on fire right now.

Excellent!!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    picked this up the other day

ndtau.jpg

:mrgreen:

i miss you already :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    pandora wrote:

Jack-Daniels-Tennessee-Honey-Chill-300x200.jpg yum 8-)

I come in here looking at reviews for my upcoming 21st birthday and see this.

I think I'm in the wrong place. :lol:
  • Options

SO smooth and delicious!!!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    A bit bummed that Maker's is being bought out by a Japanese company. Really hope that it doesn't change the flavor of my go to bourbon

courier-journal.com/article/20140113/NEWS01/301130025/Suntory-purchase-Beam-would-create-No-3-global-spirits-business
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Booker's tonight. Not my favorite, but it was a gift, and it's the only bourbon in the house. :ar!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Booker's tonight. Not my favorite, but it was a gift, and it's the only bourbon in the house. :ar!

Good stuff!!

10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    This thread makes me thirsty
  • Options
    …sipping on this:

10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited April 2014
    dankind said:

I love me some Booker's. Much smoother than the 130 proof (depending on the batch) would lead you to believe. Also surprisingly good for something made by Jim Beam
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Bump because there's a stupid vodka thread that is getting way too much attention.

Me, I love a Manhattan and generally like bourbon though a bit too sweet for me. Give me some peaty funky scotch all day