Options

I have a question about guns

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think anyone here has ever tried to suggest that the majority of gun owners are irresponsible.
    I have a hard time getting a pro-gun person define what responsible gun ownersip and handling means. 
    Are these people friends and family?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think anyone here has ever tried to suggest that the majority of gun owners are irresponsible.
    I didn't say that, I said the majority of people here on the boards like to show gun owners being irresponsible.  
    Well no, you did say that (your last sentence), but if that's not what you meant, fair enough. So yeah, many of us like to point out how devastating irresponsible gun owners can be, if that's what you mean. Obviously the entire problem is about safety, so pro-gun regulation folks are of course going to bring up how it is that over 100,000 people per year are hurt or injured by guns in America. That is the whole point. (Yours is not a stat I can believe btw, just on the mathematical level, because there would necessarily be plenty of irresponsible gun owners who are simply lucky enough for their lack of responsibility to not have terrible consequences. The number of gun deaths and injuries doesn't actually tell us how many irresponsible gun owners there are. It only tells us how many irresponsible gun owners managed to injure or kill someone, give or take because of multiple deaths from one gun).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Let's say there are 50 million gun owners in the usa (which I think is low but whatever) and there are 100,000 "injuries" per year (whatever an injury constitutes)....do the math and that equates to .002%.  
    25 million gun owners and it is .004%.  So If anything I exaggerated.  

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    KC138045 said:
    If you're against guns, surely you must be against anything that has to do with guns including video games etc. 
    Sure, because people are killed by video games every day. 
    Basically, it's training them. Guns aren't killing people everyday. People are. 
    I really hope you don't believe video games are training people.  If that was true I'd be playing in the NFL because of all the Madden I've played.  I also played Mortal Combat as a kid and it didn't train me to become a Ninja  and rip out peoples spines. Violent video games do not turn kids into murderers.  

If a child believes they can take what happens in a video game out into the real world then there are bigger issues there than what video games they're playing.

KC138045 said:
    If you're against guns, surely you must be against anything that has to do with guns including video games etc. 
    I really hope you don't believe video games are training people.  If that was true I'd be playing in the NFL because of all the Madden I've played.  I also played Mortal Combat as a kid and it didn't train me to become a Ninja  and rip out peoples spines. Violent video games do not turn kids into murderers.  

If a child believes they can take what happens in a video game out into the real world then there are bigger issues there than what video games they're playing.
    There are bigger issues for some. That's what I and someone else said in previous posts. Everyone that has a gun isnt going out and killing people. Everyone thats playing violent video games and watching violence on tv isn't going out and killing people but people are desensitized  to violence from it.
    From my guess about 12 ar-15's out of 3,000,000 were used in mass shootings yet everyone wants to ban them.  We are talking about 0.000004% of all ar-15's in circulation.  I really think 99.99% of gun owners are responsible but for some reason the majority of people on this forum like to constantly bring up examples showing the opposite.
    It does seem a bit like overkill; however, there are 87,000 flights per day in the USA (31,755,000 per year). The USA had one major incident and sweeping reform for airport security and individual privacy were introduced and somewhat embraced.

I guess the US needs to figure out whether or not they wish to live with the occasional mass shooting to maintain ownership rights or not.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    mcgruff10 said:
    Let's say there are 50 million gun owners in the usa (which I think is low but whatever) and there are 100,000 "injuries" per year (whatever an injury constitutes)....do the math and that equates to .002%.  
    25 million gun owners and it is .004%.  So If anything I exaggerated.  

Again, I'm saying that's not relevant. That doesn't show how many irresponsible gun owners there are. It only shows how many unlucky ones there are.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

There are bigger issues for some. That's what I and someone else said in previous posts. Everyone that has a gun isnt going out and killing people. Everyone thats playing violent video games and watching violence on tv isn't going out and killing people but people are desensitized  to violence from it.
    From my guess about 12 ar-15's out of 3,000,000 were used in mass shootings yet everyone wants to ban them.  We are talking about 0.000004% of all ar-15's in circulation.  I really think 99.99% of gun owners are responsible but for some reason the majority of people on this forum like to constantly bring up examples showing the opposite.
    It does seem a bit like overkill; however, there are 87,000 flights per day in the USA (31,755,000 per year). The USA had one major incident and sweeping reform for airport security and individual privacy were introduced and somewhat embraced.

I guess the US needs to figure out whether or not they wish to live with the occasional mass shooting to maintain ownership rights or not.
    I guess one of the major reasons is one is a constitutional right and the other isnt. I get what you are saying , tough call. If one student gets in a fight do you cancel prom?  I don’t know what the right answer is del. I do know that the pizza guy just delivered some pizza at my door!!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

I guess one of the major reasons is one is a constitutional right and the other isnt. I get what you are saying , tough call. If one student gets in a fight do you cancel prom?  I don’t know what the right answer is del. I do know that the pizza guy just delivered some pizza at my door!!

haha!

Lucky bastard. Enjoy!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Anyone following the Laura Ingraham story over the last couple of weeks will know the American right doesn't understand the first amendment, so why do you assume they get the second correct?

Also America 'deserving' guns ain't working out for you, try changing that?
  • Options
    Anyone following the Laura Ingraham story over the last couple of weeks will know the American right doesn't understand the first amendment, so why do you assume they get the second correct?

Nice broad stroke right there.  
    Who says America is “deserving” of guns?  It is a constitutional right. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have a hard time getting a pro-gun person define what responsible gun ownersip and handling means. 

I have a gun nut brother who will talk about responsible gun handling. I’ve seen things with him and my nephew that I would call irresponsible, though. It seems like there’s a lot of individual variation, as well as supporting irresponsible gun handling in the name of 2nd A pride. The common human flaw applies where we think other people are the problem and not ourselves. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have a gun nut brother who will talk about responsible gun handling. I’ve seen things with him and my nephew that I would call irresponsible, though. It seems like there’s a lot of individual variation, as well as supporting irresponsible gun handling in the name of 2nd A pride. The common human flaw applies where we think other people are the problem and not ourselves. 
    That sucks bud. What exactly are they doing?  You every say anything to him or is it his way or the highway?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    This literally takes five seconds for me to put on and take off. I never understood why people don’t lock up their firearms or put them in safes. 
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    mcgruff10 said:

That was my point. American people are allowed guns just by being American.
    Why are you living your lives so threatened by things? 
    In the rest of the world we worry about grey hairs and putting on a few pounds, not people killing us all the time.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

That was my point. American people are allowed guns just by being American.
    Why are you living your lives so threatened by things? 
    In the rest of the world we worry about grey hairs and putting on a few pounds, not people killing us all the time.
    I don't live in a war zone so I'm hardly thinking about being killed all the time but I do like to hunt and target shoot and have a few firearms  just in case.  Nothing wrong with being prepared in my eyes.  
    Do any americans actually think they might be killed all the time or are we generalizing?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    Is it “responsible” for a “responsible” gun owner and NRA board member, Ted Shithead Nugent, to openly advocate for the shooting of dems onsite like rabid coyotes? Is that fucking “responsible” advocacy for gun rights? Further, where are all the “responsible” repubes and gun owners condemning such talk, on a mass media platform no less? Where are the “responsible” ones? The gun rights crowd and the NRA are the most irresponsible advocates out there. “Responsible” my fucking ass.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Is it “responsible” for a “responsible” gun owner and NRA board member, Ted Shithead Nugent, to openly advocate for the shooting of dems onsite like rabid coyotes? Is that fucking “responsible” advocacy for gun rights? Further, where are all the “responsible” repubes and gun owners condemning such talk, on a mass media platform no less? Where are the “responsible” ones? The gun rights crowd and the NRA are the most irresponsible advocates out there. “Responsible” my fucking ass.
    He's one asshole that ran his mouth.  I' m not sure how he represents the masses.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    He's one asshole that ran his mouth.  I' m not sure how he represents the masses.
    Where are the “responsible” masses condemning his “responsible” advocacy?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    He’s not just an asshole, he’s a fucking sitting board member of the NRA. It’s amazing how far you “responsible” gun owners will go to defend the insanity.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    He’s not just an asshole, he’s a fucking sitting board member of the NRA. It’s amazing how far you “responsible” gun owners will go to defend the insanity.
    Who exactly defended him?  I think he s a piece of shit. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It’s not that anyone defended him, it’s that the “responsible” gun owners, pro gun politicians and pro gun advocacy groups have been silent and it’s deafening. But a deranged dem shoots up a repube baseball game and my god the outrage, by both sides. If a “responsible” gun owner acts on Shithead Ted’s advocacy, you’ll have blood on your hands.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Defended him by minimizing the importance of his words. As an NRA board member, he invited people to shoot liberals, and no one is really batting an eye. Are the responsible NRA members calling for his censure? Calling for the NRA to repudiate his words? Calling for him to lost his board position. 

In a word, no. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Someone should ask patriotic Shithead Ted how he feels about this:

NRA got more money from Russia-linked sources than earlier reported - POLITICO https://apple.news/APxC0RUInQwaU8mXgIdbc2Q

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014

I don’t follow her story because I don’t like her. But what makes you think she’s the spokeswoman for the right?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I don’t follow her story because I don’t like her. But what makes you think she’s the spokeswoman for the right?
    Do you think that she’s not? 

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited April 2018
    mace1229 said:

It's like when people say 'why don't Muslim leaders speak out against terrorism more and stand up to crazy fundamentalists'.  The entire right wing mouthpieces are crazies at fox, breitbart, infowars and so much more psycho sources, but they won't speak out against them because that is actually what they watch and where they get their 'news'.  Or internet memes.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    edited April 2018
    Going back to the "responsible gun owners" discussion a little way back, I have a question or two.  Why does America need so many gun owners in the first place, responsible or not?  Seriously?  Or three.  Why are there so many gun owners in America when so many other countries get along fine without them?
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Smellyman said:
    mace1229 said:

It's like when people say 'why don't Muslim leaders speak out against terrorism more and stand up to crazy fundamentalists'.  The entire right wing mouthpieces are crazies at fox, breitbart, infowars and so much more psycho sources, but they won't speak out against them because that is actually what they watch and where they get their 'news'.  Or internet memes.
    So now your comparing Laura Ingraham to Muslim Terrorists? Why do we need to speak out against her? Does the left speak out against anything crazy they talk about on The View?   They’ve said some weird stuff on that show, but t I don’t consider them spokeswomen for anyone.
    funny how you think all conservatives watch only fox and bow down to anyone on that channel. Not really accurate, when you consider that 3 million views is a big night for that program and roughly half the country is conservative.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mace1229 said:

So now your comparing Laura Ingraham to Muslim Terrorists? Why do we need to speak out against her? Does the left speak out against anything crazy they talk about on The View?   They’ve said some weird stuff on that show, but t I don’t consider them spokeswomen for anyone.
    funny how you think all conservatives watch only fox and bow down to anyone on that channel. Not really accurate, when you consider that 3 million views is a big night for that program and roughly half the country is conservative.
    Yeah, she’s a spokesperson for the right. Has been for a long time. Her television show is by no means her only area of influence, and probably not the largest one. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/lifestyle/style/laura-ingraham-was-trump-before-trump-but-is-she-made-for-tv/2017/10/24/d1481916-b50e-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

Not all gun ownership is protected by the 2A... Connecticut successfully banned sales of all AR 15 style weapons after Sandy Hook and it was held up and passed over by the SCOTUS... 

I don't think this is talked about enough
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

The GOP is currently putting forward an amendment to the Constitution. This one requires that the budget be balanced, a particularly amusing irony, given the budget they just passed. 

If if they can make one amendment, they could make another. In fact, once the Constitution had the first amendment, you completely lost the argument that the document is inviolable.