Options

Taking Offense - Has It Gone Off The Rails?

Comments

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711

Yea, sure, let's rely on biased think tanks as opposed to non-partisan government agencies. Perhaps you can link to some of that google research that shows it doesn't exist, seeing that you made the claim. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to retire to my library and search for the report that unequivocally proves for you that oppression exists. I'm sure you'll accept it once I find it. And after you've finished linking to your google sources that back your claim, would you mind defining "today" and "it?" My stacks are long and deep and it'll reduce my search time. Thank you.

Cool. I never made any claim. I'm not making the argument for or against it. You keep believing what you want and thinking you are right, I'll continue to educate myself and look for real evidence and facts before I buy into an idea. I also enjoyed your last comment, the attempt to take a higher ground and talk down to me was a classy move, probably out of frustration. Hope you have a good day ;)
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,607
    edited April 2017
    class="Quote" rel="mattsl1983">

Yea, sure, let's rely on biased think tanks as opposed to non-partisan government agencies. Perhaps you can link to some of that google research that shows it doesn't exist, seeing that you made the claim. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to retire to my library and search for the report that unequivocally proves for you that oppression exists. I'm sure you'll accept it once I find it. And after you've finished linking to your google sources that back your claim, would you mind defining "today" and "it?" My stacks are long and deep and it'll reduce my search time. Thank you.

Cool. I never made any claim. I'm not making the argument for or against it. You keep believing what you want and thinking you are right, I'll continue to educate myself and look for real evidence and facts before I buy into an idea. I also enjoyed your last comment, the attempt to take a higher ground and talk down to me was a classy move, probably out of frustration. Hope you have a good day ;)

You ask for evidence and when provided, dismiss it out of hand. You claimed your google search, if you even performed one, pointed to lots of information that oppression doesn't exist. Yet you won't back your argument that you think it doesn't exist or the term is misused because there isn't overwhelming think tank evidence for it that's been presented and unless it is, your smarter than those that claim otherwise. Classy move on your part to run from what you posit.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/01/racial-gender-wage-gaps-persist-in-u-s-despite-some-progress/

http://time.com/4390212/race-wage-gap-pew-analysis/

And who's frantic?
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited April 2017

I'd rather talk down than be a passive agressive mansplaining troll like you. Talking down is politically incorrect. I thought you Trump trolls wanted us to be more like that? Silly trolls. You can't have things both ways! :lol:
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711

I'd rather talk down than be a passive agressive mansplaining troll like you. Talking down is politically incorrect. I thought you Trump trolls wanted us to be more like that? Silly trolls. You can't have things both ways! :lol:
    I hope you feel better! And who said anything about trump?? Why does trump get brought up? At what point did I say anything about trump? You sound angry. And now I'm a troll? Name calling. Classy.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796
    jeffbr said:

The problem is that the left is too pc and the right is too extremist pic. You can be pic without being a Nazi fascist alt right punk and be a civilized person without being a humorless whiny baby. I prefer my anti alt right in the mold of old school r rated humor like Carlin, not today's neolibs.

Agreed!

And universities, once the bastion of free speech and the exploration and free exchange of ideas, have now turned into hyper-sensitive institutions that suppress speech and focus on ensuring that nobody is exposed to anything that may slightly offend even the most sensitive millennial college student. Micro aggressions and triggers everywhere! Professors being reprimanded for challenging ideas, speakers uninvited if anyone makes noise. Idiot college students will unfortunately remain idiots if they are not able to deal with counter-opinions. I'm not sure how they'll even survive the real world outside of the emotional safe space they attempt to create on campus.
    maybe debate should be a required course?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

I hope you feel better! And who said anything about trump?? Why does trump get brought up? At what point did I say anything about trump? You sound angry. And now I'm a troll? Name calling. Classy.
    matts1983 what is this topic called ? LOL ! you don't have to say anything to offend folks around here, just say something kind and they
    get all butt hurt and offensive real quick if you're a President Trump supporter.

Obama and Clinton are their " overlords" HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA !!!!!!!!

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited May 2017
    Deleted by Admin

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629

Denying facts and supporting trump have a strong correlation. That's not a claim for or against, just pointing out a strong relationship. Now if you can point me to real evidence and facts that proves this isn't the case, I'm all ears.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020

Denying facts and supporting trump have a strong correlation. That's not a claim for or against, just pointing out a strong relationship. Now if you can point me to real evidence and facts that proves this isn't the case, I'm all ears.
    Good play on words!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2017
    unsung said:

"Student Union: Use ‘Jazz Hands’ Instead Of Clapping Or Face ‘Consequences’"

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/28/student-union-use-jazz-hands-instead-of-clapping-or-face-consequences/

Jesus. This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Fucking ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/28/student-union-use-jazz-hands-instead-of-clapping-or-face-consequences/

Jesus. This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Fucking ridiculous.
    I know right?!? They should be doing spirit fingers!
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

I know right?!? They should be doing spirit fingers!
    I had to look that up. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTSkvAabm0k
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    tbergs said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

Screw political correctness.

I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

-Neil Gaiman
    Sandman author. Nice.
    Best. Author. Living. Always look forward to something new from him. My bookshelf is adorned with The Sandman masterpieces in the hardcover omnibus edition.
    American Gods' first episode was on last night. Holy shit is all I can say.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    benjs said:

tbergs said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

Screw political correctness.

I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

-Neil Gaiman
    Sandman author. Nice.
    Best. Author. Living. Always look forward to something new from him. My bookshelf is adorned with The Sandman masterpieces in the hardcover omnibus edition.
    American Gods' first episode was on last night. Holy shit is all I can say.
    It was good?!?

Can you start a thread in All Encompassing please @benjs
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited May 2017
    In the realm of political correctness? Or what, I am not sure.

Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited May 2017

Stephen Colbert Responds To The Lazy Right-Wing Conspiracy To Label Him ‘Homophobic’

https://www.good.is/articles/stephen-colbert-homophobic-joke-trump?utm_source=ATTN&utm_medium=FB&utm_campaign=Share
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dignin said:

Stephen Colbert Responds To The Lazy Right-Wing Conspiracy To Label Him ‘Homophobic’

https://www.good.is/articles/stephen-colbert-homophobic-joke-trump?utm_source=ATTN&utm_medium=FB&utm_campaign=Share
    Haha, Colbert nailed it. Fake outrage from the very bigots who would never otherwise speak out against homophobia. Colbert's no homophobe. He's an astute and witty observer. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    unsung said:
    Bald seems like a reasonable, non-offensive description. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    jeffbr said:
    dignin said:

Haha, Colbert nailed it. Fake outrage from the very bigots who would never otherwise speak out against homophobia. Colbert's no homophobe. He's an astute and witty observer. 
    unbelievable. fake outrage is right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsung said:
    I would say that is in the realm of the exact opposite of political correctness. It is also just totally bizarre, lol.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    I would say that is in the realm of the exact opposite of political correctness. It is also just totally bizarre, lol.
    But the million dollar question is, male or female ;) Really though, this just shows how ridiculous descriptions are and how they really don't help anyone identify a suspect. The picture speaks for itself, other than that go ahead and give the vehicle and last known clothing, but again very vague and each on their own is meaningless unless the totality of the description is met with it and rarely do people factor then in. It's more like, oh, I saw a black man driving a Ford, must have been the suspect. I get the intent of the full description, but people end of picking out a few of the descriptors to base their suspicion on and it creates unnecessary fear and a waste of time to police taking calls on false identifications.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unsung said:
    You sure do post a lot of altered photo's
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796
    unsung said:

curious where you found it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    What is the real image?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,607
    He fears elimination of the white race and he's shown his true colors repeatedly on these forums. Why are you surprised?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ChbxMVgGV4

Pearl Jam's classic "Dark White".  For unsung.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    He fears elimination of the white race and he's shown his true colors repeatedly on these forums. Why are you surprised?
    Honestly...

He fears something, but I'm not so convinced it's what you say.

I've had my share of go-rounds with Unsung and, even though we rarely agree, I'm of the opinion he's more decent than the credit he's been given lately.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    rubes gonna rube
    ...what can you do....??
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020