Options

Heart broken

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,292
    If it's true I'm glad I put effort into seeing some shows last year. I rarely see shows in consecutive years. I usually see a burst every couple of years. Pemberton/Wrigley will keep me going for a while. See as I saw 3 shows last year, no biggie if I have to wait until next year to maybe get another show in Vancouver or Seattle.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    Technically I'll get to see 4-5 songs and maybe will go to Ohana.

I didn't expect much this year, have been assuming we will get a new album in 2018.

That being said I wouldn't take Chelios' comments as bible. If he's right they are of course subject to change. And there was still the rumor of late in the year that could still be in play depending on when he had the conversation. Was really hoping for that because it would be right around my 40th.

My gut says he right but you never know.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921
    edited March 2017

Technically I'll get to see 4-5 songs and maybe will go to Ohana.

I didn't expect much this year, have been assuming we will get a new album in 2018.

That being said I wouldn't take Chelios' comments as bible. If he's right they are of course subject to change. And there was still the rumor of late in the year that could still be in play depending on when he had the conversation. Was really hoping for that because it would be right around my 40th.

My gut says he right but you never know.

I ll be 40 in November and was really hoping for a show this year. Oh well.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I do rarely complain about band decisions. I'm sort of an apologist most times.

That being said my biggest gripe is the communication regarding touring. I don't even mind as much that when they know they are going to tour they usually keep it very close to the vest (although it would be nice to be able to plan trips better). But if they know they aren't touring for sure I just wish they would say it.

I'm not sure I want to hear it from Ed's retired hockey player friend.

Maybe that's why I haven't given up yet
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I'm thinking there's still a chance they play a one off show somewhere later this year...
    Maybe Global Citizen or Bridge School.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    edited March 2017
    derbydave said:

I'm thinking there's still a chance they play a one off show somewhere later this year...
    Maybe Global Citizen or Bridge School.

Could see Bridge School. It's been a while.

Please never again for GC
  • Options
    fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    Hopefully this doesn't mark the beginning of the end. I still have a lot of songs I've yet to hear live.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517

Hopefully this doesn't mark the beginning of the end. I still have a lot of songs I've yet to hear live.

I think there's plenty of gas left in the tank.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

This post easily could have come 17 years prior from the Synergy board when the Binaural track list came out and "Parting Ways" was last.
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,019

This post easily could have come 17 years prior from the Synergy board when the Binaural track list came out and "Parting Ways" was last.
    You mean when Pearl Jam was actually a band that was concerned with creating new music on a regular basis instead of just relying on their past catalogue to continue touring sporadically and to sell a bunch of merch?
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Ryan said:

You mean when Pearl Jam was actually a band that was concerned with creating new music on a regular basis instead of just relying on their past catalogue to continue touring sporadically and to sell a bunch of merch?
    Recording contract pushed that some I'm sure. Perhaps they've said all they care to say new music wise.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    This thread is funny. Been a band for over a quarter century. They decide to take a year off... and it's all of a sudden the beginning of the end! I feel like that are for more active than a lot of older bands, and for that. I'm thankful!
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    Come 2018 all will be right in PJ-verse
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Maybe this gives them time to hang out with family and write some music alone. Then late in the year they will bring all the new music together and record an album that will hit the shelves in march of next year. And April - July will be a massive US tour supporting it
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,835
    riley540 said:

This thread is funny. Been a band for over a quarter century. They decide to take a year off... and it's all of a sudden the beginning of the end! I feel like that are for more active than a lot of older bands, and for that. I'm thankful!

Read for a good laugh.
    https://triplem.com.au/music/news/pearl-jam-hiatus-announced?station=melbourne
  • Options
    PJNB said:

riley540 said:

Read for a good laugh.
    https://triplem.com.au/music/news/pearl-jam-hiatus-announced?station=melbourne
    Eddies HUGE tour!

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited March 2017
    their collective hearts were not in the last album and it was reflected in the final product.
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    If this news is true, maybe this will be a opportune time for them to clear out the closet, say, dropping the PJ20 and Wrigley shows from last year in some form. Or maybe they can do a 2 Vault issues, or do a Vault issue with a companion video, etc etc. At a guess, touring is probably their biggest source of income that they have most control over these days and artists still have to put food on the table. If they are taking time off, getting some of this overdue stuff out to the masses will help bring in some income which they will miss from not touring. It will be a nice way to close the loop on those events and clear the decks for new music and it will keep them in the public's eye after the RNRHOF without them needing to get out and tour behind the releases. Makes perfect sense if you ask me.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,292
    stratmad said:

If this news is true, maybe this will be a opportune time for them to clear out the closet, say, dropping the PJ20 and Wrigley shows from last year in some form. Or maybe they can do a 2 Vault issues, or do a Vault issue with a companion video, etc etc. At a guess, touring is probably their biggest source of income that they have most control over these days and artists still have to put food on the table. If they are taking time off, getting some of this overdue stuff out to the masses will help bring in some income which they will miss from not touring. It will be a nice way to close the loop on those events and clear the decks for new music and it will keep them in the public's eye after the RNRHOF without them needing to get out and tour behind the releases. Makes perfect sense if you ask me.

I'm ok with that. Would love to see stuff like pj20, wrigley and some live blurays :)

I understand everyone else in the thread though. Sometimes PJ prioritizes things that aren't PJ. The upside is that it's probably why they never broke up. It keeps them sane, and keeps them from imploding. The downside is that albums and tour dates aren't quite as frequent as yesteryear. There are in their 50s and I'm not sure what that's like. I supposed like most of us, there's alot of things they want to do, but only so much time.
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    Maybe, as someone mentioned earlier, Chris is just putting up a smokescreen.

Perhaps they can still "close out the Joe" in 2018. I don't know for sure but I don't think it's being taken down within the next 9 months.

If the band is taking the next 9-12 months off, then that's great news. That could then mean that the special Wrigley bootleg/blu ray is right around the corner. It would be a good source of revenue since there is no tour. Heck, maybe we'll even get a PJ20 box set or a No Code or Yield box set. :wink:
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    vaggar99 said:

their collective hearts were not in the last album and it was reflected in the final product.

That's not true at all. If you paid attention to the interviews and promotional work they did, they were really excited. They aren't good enough actors or liars to fake that.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    chriszeechriszee Posts: 107
    What are they taking a break from? I take it as they aren't even going to pretend to want to do something together and straight up said let's leave each other alone entirely for at least a year
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    chriszee said:

What are they taking a break from? I take it as they aren't even going to pretend to want to do something together and straight up said let's leave each other alone entirely for at least a year

That's reading awfully deep into a comment made on a radio interview with a friend of the band.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517

Maybe they're taking a break from presumptuous fans.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    The most important announcements in life are always the ones you let your buddy make in an offhand manner on the radio.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925

Amen. Pearl Jam fans are the worst sometimes. They did like 25 shows last year, which for them, is pretty big. It's been noted that they are not crazy about touring too much. 3/5 of the band has young(ish) kids. And their drummer has commitments to another band (and he has prioritized PJ first before too).

They'll get through the HOF stuff and I would bet they will tour again Spring/Summer of 2018
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    For some reason, Pat Benatar's heartbreaker started playing in my head after reading the title of this thread
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
    I'm so glad that the band decided to hire Chelios as their official spokesman.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011

Exactly
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I smell a new lp before the next tour..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016