my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    tbergs said:

my2hands said:

and NO

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

So guessing the earliest we could get a new PJ is 2018, that means 5 years in between albums (or longer). That would be the longest wait of their career.

25+ years in... an album every 5 years is probably best case scenario
    25 years in neil released Ragged Glory...just saying ;)
    I didn't say they couldn't make great records... i just don't expect them very often any more, unfortunately
    I hear ya, and I know he's a tough one to compare to. Someone mentioned earlier that the band has become more Stones than Neil, and I was thinking the same thing myself.
    At a certain point the Stones found a formula and they have just been repeating it for around 40 years at this point, with less and less time spent on new music and more spent on tours in larger and larger venues. THis sounds much more like PJ than Neil, who releases an album every year that sounds nothing like the album before it, who will play in either arenas or small venues, and is still taking chances at age 71. When was the last time PJ took major chances? They were barely even political last election cycle, and I'm wondering if it was because they didn't want to turn people off. The fact that Trump was mentioned only in passing at Wrigley let me know that the band is a lot different than it used to be.
    All that being said, I still enjoy Lightening Bolt overall (more than Backspacer), and hope they can get something going sometime in the next 2 years... :|
    I think this is spot on... I fully expect the next US tour to be a stadium tour

definitely more Rolling Stones than Neil at this point...

Blasphemy! The over-reaction is getting out of control. They have toured somewhere every year since 2008 people. They may not have been extensive tours, but they toured. They can take this whole year off, enjoy their induction as a band and dabble in their side projects. They played two stadiums that make a lot of sense last year. They are not going to become a stadium act. Everyone just chill out.
    why is that over reaction or getting out of control?

they are an iconic band and will most definitely be doing stadium tours in their future... that's the natural progression... that doesn't mean they wont play arena tours in the future, but I definitely expect stadium tours, which are very common now by the way... they played Strangest Tribe & Angel at Fenway last year, two of the quietest songs in their catalog... I feel they wanted to see how that went, and it went well, so now they fell they can take their show into larger stadiums and pull it off without having to stick only to the arena cock rock from Ten

the band is in cruise control for the next 20 years whether people like it or not... and we would all do the same thing... thankfully I live in the northeast so I can see them easily :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    my2hands said:

tbergs said:

my2hands said:

and NO

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

So guessing the earliest we could get a new PJ is 2018, that means 5 years in between albums (or longer). That would be the longest wait of their career.

I didn't say they couldn't make great records... i just don't expect them very often any more, unfortunately
    I hear ya, and I know he's a tough one to compare to. Someone mentioned earlier that the band has become more Stones than Neil, and I was thinking the same thing myself.
    At a certain point the Stones found a formula and they have just been repeating it for around 40 years at this point, with less and less time spent on new music and more spent on tours in larger and larger venues. THis sounds much more like PJ than Neil, who releases an album every year that sounds nothing like the album before it, who will play in either arenas or small venues, and is still taking chances at age 71. When was the last time PJ took major chances? They were barely even political last election cycle, and I'm wondering if it was because they didn't want to turn people off. The fact that Trump was mentioned only in passing at Wrigley let me know that the band is a lot different than it used to be.
    All that being said, I still enjoy Lightening Bolt overall (more than Backspacer), and hope they can get something going sometime in the next 2 years... :|

Blasphemy! The over-reaction is getting out of control. They have toured somewhere every year since 2008 people. They may not have been extensive tours, but they toured. They can take this whole year off, enjoy their induction as a band and dabble in their side projects. They played two stadiums that make a lot of sense last year. They are not going to become a stadium act. Everyone just chill out.

they are an iconic band and will most definitely be doing stadium tours in their future... that's the natural progression... that doesn't mean they wont play arena tours in the future, but I definitely expect stadium tours, which are very common now by the way... they played Strangest Tribe & Angel at Fenway last year, two of the quietest songs in their catalog... I feel they wanted to see how that went, and it went well, so now they fell they can take their show into larger stadiums and pull it off without having to stick only to the arena cock rock from Ten

the band is in cruise control for the next 20 years whether people like it or not... and we would all do the same thing... thankfully I live in the northeast so I can see them easily :)
    I don't call a high energy 3 hour show cruise control.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options

my2hands said:

tbergs said:

my2hands said:

and NO

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

Cruise control career wise... i didn't say anything about the quality of their live shows, more the quantity
  • Options
    Why are people so upset with what's obvious?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    my2hands said:

Why are people so upset with what's obvious?

Idk, it's a weird thing to get upset over,

I'm all in favor of them taking a break if it will mean a better product in the long run.

& if it doesn't? Oh well, it's their lives, their band. The rest of us are just along for the ride.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    I feel like with a year off we will see some higher quality-big ticket merch items to keep money coming in. Wrigley, double vault year, or PJ20 type stuff. And when something big like that happens we will forget all about this little break
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I wish Nirvana was still around.....
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    All this over what Chris Chelios said. Seems odd to me.
  • Options

Me too, Eddie said how the band would love to be invited back to close the Joe.,,.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    edited March 2017

Me too, Eddie said how the band would love to be invited back to close the Joe.,,.
    I always thought they wanted to be invited back to play at the Joe not close it or am I remember that boot incorrectly? Chelios said they tried to get them to close but in so many words said that PJ declined the offer due to taking a year-long break from touring.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 589
    edited March 2017

All what? I don't understand why some people want to come in and say threads are out of control or blown out of proportion. So what? Fans are nerding out, talking about a band they love. Fans are giving their opinions about the current status of the band. This isn't that big of a deal. It's a message board, a fan forum... people should be able to have opinions and declare their likes/dislikes about the band. I don't get posting emojis of banging a head against a wall. And don't dare use the word "heart broken" about this band's inactivity... you'll be called out for your empty life.

I've been a fan since I was 17, right around the time Vitalogy came out. So I'm one of those that feels like I kind of grew up with the band. I'll always buy a new album on the first day of release, even if it takes 5+ years. I've seen them 30+ times, and will continue to. Seems like a number of people in this thread "get it". They're in their 50's, families, they've been on the road a lot for 25+ years, they have a shitload of money... that doesn't mean we can't wish it was different in some way. Since this all started with Chris Chelios, I'll end with a sports analogy. I'm just hoping they don't turn into Wizards-era Jordan ;) I think the band, Ed especially, is aware of legacy and integrity. Hopefully that keeps them from full-on nostalgia mode.
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options

why? Kurt would have cashed in and rode the wave to anonymity 20 years ago.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited March 2017
    NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

Yeah, you can't compare NY and PJ. Neil will release just about anything at this point. He seems to have a new album every few months these days, lol. But the thing about that is, he doesn't really care if people like it or not, whereas PJ obviously does (whether they succeed with that is another story... the last two albums are semi-failures IMHO, but apparently some people like them... though not enough for the band I'm sure). Neil has openly claimed the right to release any piece of crap he feels like releasing, ahahaha. I'd say that only about 50% of what he's released in the past few years is particularly listenable, and I am a HUGE fan. And that's cool. Obviously he has the time and the money to do this, and must be having fun just throwing all that stuff out on the market. But it's just his own deal. His own creative decisions. He doesn't have 4 other men to work with and try to please along with himself, let alone have a particular urge at this point in his life to appeal to the masses. Yeah, he's been working with Promise of the Real some of the time lately, but those guys are like kids compared to Neil, and I get the impression that they are all just joyously following Neil's lead and learning from him rather than negotiating artistic decisions.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

why? Kurt would have cashed in and rode the wave to anonymity 20 years ago.
    It was a joke ;)
  • Options
    Time inbetween albums (in months):
    • Ten to Vs. - 26
    • Vs. to Vitalogy - 13
    • Vitalogy to No Code 20
    • No Code to Yield - 17
    • Yield to Binaural - 27
    • Binaural to Riot Act - 30
    • Riot Act to Pearl Jam -41
    • Pearl Jam to Backspacer - 40
    • Backspacer to Lightning Bolt - 49
    • Lightning Bolt to "Studio Album #11" - 41 and Counting...............
  • Options

Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are probably the least favorite albums amongst most die-hard fans, can we all agree on this? Assuming most of you do agree, then why the F would anyone want them to rush a new album? Is there not enough to bitch about between the merch & the Northeast shows and the RnR HOF drummers etc etc etc?

Let the band do their thing, who cares about the time between the albums? It’s not good enough for you? Tough shit, go make your own album.
    It will happen when it happens, and I would think most people who care about the finished product shouldn’t want it to be rushed.

It’s almost as if everyone forgot about Ole.
  • Options

Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are probably the least favorite albums amongst most die-hard fans, can we all agree on this? Assuming most of you do agree, then why the F would anyone want them to rush a new album? Is there not enough to bitch about between the merch & the Northeast shows and the RnR HOF drummers etc etc etc?

Let the band do their thing, who cares about the time between the albums? It’s not good enough for you? Tough shit, go make your own album.
    It will happen when it happens, and I would think most people who care about the finished product shouldn’t want it to be rushed.

LOL, I still listen to Ole from time to time. If the lyrics were different, that song would be killer.

people are allowed to wish for more music from their favourite band. "go make your own" sounds like it came from Noel Gallagher or Billy Pumpkin.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2017

If Backspacer and Lightning Bolt are among the least favorite, and I agree that they are, then what do we have to show for the last decade? I thought they were very similar, somewhat interchangeable, maybe due to Brendan O'Brien being on board for both. I like them, but they aren't up there with their finest work. That's kind of what I was trying to get to in my earlier posts on this thread. It's taking them longer and longer to put out material that is, arguably, less and less powerful/creative/strong. Admittedly, this is a debatable statement, but I think one worth discussing.

I think comparisons to the Rolling Stones are very justified... they're still making a shitload of money (merch, occasional touring) even though their most productive, flourishing days may be behind them. The PJ machine is still rolling along strong, with less and less effort put into it by the band. That, for me, is a little disappointing.

Eddie loves Springsteen. Maybe he'll get the same later-in-life bug-up-his-ass that the Boss did when he reeled off a few highly-acclaimed albums later in his career. The shows are Springsteen-esque, but the new material... well, we have two ok albums in 10 years.
  • Options
    I think what's missing here is that people keeping saying BS and LB are lackluster albums. I'd argue that, to the band, they aren't at all. I can't imagine they'd put out a product that they don't believe to be up to their standards. Bands evolve. Bands often have a few fan-disappointing albums at some point, only to later put out an album that they declare to be a "back to our roots" record. But I think, musically, where they are now is exactly where they want to be. Mike said that Sirens was his finest musical achievement. I don't know many fans that would agree with him, but it's HIS music, so if he thinks that, that's it. Ed obviously loves those types of songs too. He's mellowing out musically, save for a few "Mind Your Manners" here and there.

The band is evolving, some like it, some don't. I'd rather that then them churning out Vitalogy over and over again just for the sake of it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    we need another "HEYFOXYMOPHANDLEMAMAITSME"
    can I get a +1
    :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2017

I think what's missing here is that people keeping saying BS and LB are lackluster albums. I'd argue that, to the band, they aren't at all. I can't imagine they'd put out a product that they don't believe to be up to their standards. Bands evolve. Bands often have a few fan-disappointing albums at some point, only to later put out an album that they declare to be a "back to our roots" record. But I think, musically, where they are now is exactly where they want to be. Mike said that Sirens was his finest musical achievement. I don't know many fans that would agree with him, but it's HIS music, so if he thinks that, that's it. Ed obviously loves those types of songs too. He's mellowing out musically, save for a few "Mind Your Manners" here and there.

The band is evolving, some like it, some don't. I'd rather that then them churning out Vitalogy over and over again just for the sake of it.

Bands aren't always right about which of their own work is good and isn't good though. I guess it concerns me a little bit as a fan that any members of the band think BS and LB are good albums because it suggests that their musical tastes have devolved (obviously this is a subjective opinion). But yes, it's their music. There is absolutely nothing we can do about them releasing bad albums that they thought were good enough to send to market, aside from not listening to those albums (in whole or in part) and hoping their next one better suits our own individual tastes. C'est la vie! As for not touring this year or when their next album is.... I can't say I care. I totally agree that whatever works for them works for me. There are too many other bands that I can go and see and too many other new albums to enjoy for PJ's lack of activity right now to bother me in the slightest, even though I would be happy to hear they are heading back to the studio to give it the old college try again.

The lucky thing for PJ is that they have a huge enough dedicated fan base to have pretty good modern day sales of their albums even if the album is terrible, lol. I would never not buy a new PJ record, no matter how much I hated it. I can't have that hole in my PJ collection. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Fair rebuttals Hugh & wnh, I see your points, and they are great points.

I guess I took far too many words to make mine(I tend to do that).

Long story short, I would prefer no new music over mediocre or uninspired new music.

I hate the idea of an artist or a band rushing something just because they feel like they have to. This band is at a point where they shouldn't have to do that. Granted the last 10 years haven't been great for PJ albums, which is maybe all the more reason why they SHOULD take some time off.

Go work with some other artists, go do a side project. Get re-inspired. Hopefully there will be time down the road to write another kickass album and tour off of it.

Not unrelated: Bring on more TOTD dates!!! After the one Philly show I saw, I'm starving for more of that action (anyone who was there knows what I'm talking about - that was fresh & exciting stuff, and the musicians themselves seemed to really be into it - let's see some more of that!!)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Bands aren't always right about which of their own work is good and isn't good though. I guess it concerns me a little bit as a fan that any members of the band think BS and LB are good albums because it suggests that their musical tastes have devolved (obviously this is a subjective opinion). But yes, it's their music. There is absolutely nothing we can do about them releasing bad albums that they thought were good enough to send to market, aside from not listening to those albums (in whole or in part) and hoping their next one better suits our own individual tastes. C'est la vie! As for not touring this year or when their next album is.... I can't say I care. I totally agree that whatever works for them works for me. There are too many other bands that I can go and see and too many other new albums to enjoy for PJ's lack of activity right now to bother me in the slightest, even though I would be happy to hear they are heading back to the studio to give it the old college try again.

The lucky thing for PJ is that they have a huge enough dedicated fan base to have pretty good modern day sales of their albums even if the album is terrible, lol. I would never not buy a new PJ record, no matter how much I hated it. I can't have that hole in my PJ collection. :tongue:
    well, I guess it depends on your definition of "right". If people are "right" becuase of historical context of their other work, I would disagree.

I actually liked BS, I hate none of the songs, and I like most of the songs off LB, but I can't stand a few. I think LB was a letdown for many b/c people got all hyped up about MYM; it's political, it's hard driving riff....then.....Sirens and Future Days.

I love it when PJ releases a new album; the buzz in the air around here and in my head in general is palpable. But again, like you said, it doesn't dictate my day.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

tbergs said:

my2hands said:

and NO

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

Cruise control career wise... i didn't say anything about the quality of their live shows, more the quantity
    Definitely been on cruise control since 2007. They figured out the formula. Good for them and good for us traveling fans (we get a small tour every year).
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I agree. Well, except for "Let the Records Play" and "Sleeping By Myself"... those don't qualify as fine musical achievements for anybody. ;) Take those two off Lightning Bolt and insert a killer studio version of "Of the Earth" and it's probably a top 5 PJ album for me. But back to your point, yes, it would be silly to attempt a regurgitation of Vs. and Vitalogy-era angst all the time. I feel like their music has evolved pretty naturally to this place.

I'm not as disappointed with the last two albums as a lot of people are. I'm basically wishing for something that can't be... I wish the 5 members were putting more time and energy into Pearl Jam, maybe churning out an album every 2 years. I loved going on that ride every couple years... maybe new material blows your mind, maybe it confuses, maybe it misses the mark... but you're going on the ride with them. Nowadays, it's a hell of a long time between rides!! My hopes for more regular new material is the exact opposite of what they've said they want to do at this point. They're at a time in life where being comfortable makes a hell of a lot of sense. Ten, Vs., Vitalogy - what most would argue is this band's high-water mark - were anything but comfortable. A lot to prove, band seemed like their only focus, no kids, etc. An us against the world mentality. But hey, they've earned it. They can do what they want to do, when they want to do it. Doesn't mean people can't have an opinion about it.

I thought, with all the band members being fans since they were little, they would always have a hunger for the process. I thought they'd want to jump back into the studio, create, explore, etc. It seems like it's almost a job for them now.
  • Options
    wnh1977 said:

I agree. Well, except for "Let the Records Play" and "Sleeping By Myself"... those don't qualify as fine musical achievements for anybody. ;) Take those two off Lightning Bolt and insert a killer studio version of "Of the Earth" and it's probably a top 5 PJ album for me. But back to your point, yes, it would be silly to attempt a regurgitation of Vs. and Vitalogy-era angst all the time. I feel like their music has evolved pretty naturally to this place.

I'm not as disappointed with the last two albums as a lot of people are. I'm basically wishing for something that can't be... I wish the 5 members were putting more time and energy into Pearl Jam, maybe churning out an album every 2 years. I loved going on that ride every couple years... maybe new material blows your mind, maybe it confuses, maybe it misses the mark... but you're going on the ride with them. Nowadays, it's a hell of a long time between rides!! My hopes for more regular new material is the exact opposite of what they've said they want to do at this point. They're at a time in life where being comfortable makes a hell of a lot of sense. Ten, Vs., Vitalogy - what most would argue is this band's high-water mark - were anything but comfortable. A lot to prove, band seemed like their only focus, no kids, etc. An us against the world mentality. But hey, they've earned it. They can do what they want to do, when they want to do it. Doesn't mean people can't have an opinion about it.

I thought, with all the band members being fans since they were little, they would always have a hunger for the process. I thought they'd want to jump back into the studio, create, explore, etc. It seems like it's almost a job for them now.
    I wouldn't call it a job. they don't need the money, so I"m pretty sure the day it becomes a job to them they'll call it quits. I think they just know they don't NEED to do it, so they do it when time permits.

Ever try to get 5 people in their 40's or 50's together for a night out? it can take my wife and I weeks, even months to find common dates to get our friends together.

how about you put those people living in different states, tell them the night out is 3 months away from friends and family, preceded by a massive project that includes writing and arranging songs, getting artwork done, promotional materials together, starting up THE MACHINE, and it's not as easy as getting a bunch of 5 angry 20 somethings that just want to do SOMETHING because there's nothing else in their lives right now that means anything.

I don't think the band has changed to them. Everything else in life has. Maybe they realize how silly it is to put "being in a rock band" ahead of building skate parks for at-risk youth, or working with Crohn's and Colitis, or being there for your kids, etc etc.

As a 42 year old musician who has never toured, and thinks I would have loved to at 22 but hated to at 42, I can relate to that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ^^^ That's true. People with kids are impossible to wrangle. I don't have any, so I'm always ready to go at the drop of a hat, but all my friends have young children, so even though I've got all the freedom in the world and an open schedule, I still have to make all my social plans at least a month ahead of time, sometimes more, to accommodate all of these people's crazy-ass calendars .... It's one of the reasons I never wanted kids. :lol:
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Don't worry they are playing in 2017. Chelios is just being cute. Year is up in August. You tube has confirmed.