Options

Heart broken

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Part time band
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    this sounds like we'll see how we feel in a year. remember young families , these guys don't want to tour and i'm still not sold that they really like each other. it may e the idea of touring is not great but when they do it comes together. the problem or obstacle is getting them together.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    foodboy said:

this sounds like we'll see how we feel in a year. remember young families , these guys don't want to tour and i'm still not sold that they really like each other. it may e the idea of touring is not great but when they do it comes together. the problem or obstacle is getting them together.

Jeff has stated that he hates touring, so there's that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    rgambs said:

vaggar99 said:

their collective hearts were not in the last album and it was reflected in the final product.

That's not true at all. If you paid attention to the interviews and promotional work they did, they were really excited. They aren't good enough actors or liars to fake that.

i understand the point and I probably shouldn't say their hearts were not in it. It just seems like recording has gotten to be too painful for them. And of course, it's painful for probably just about anyone except the Beyonces and Biebers of the world. When you look at the time and money invested into albums, it may seem not worth all the arguments/fights that come with the process. I'm sure it's the kind of thing that makes bands want to stop all together (e.g. REM).
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    foodboy said:

Now they don't like each other?? Jesus

They'll be together for a few days next month for a pretty huge occasion. Ed's touring this summer, as is Matt. I don't imagine they wanted to do yet another tour without new music. If anything, hopefully this motivates them to get a new album out and get out on the road in 2018.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited March 2017
    foodboy said:

• Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    So guessing the earliest we could get a new PJ is 2018, that means 5 years in between albums (or longer). That would be the longest wait of their career.
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    Thank you for this, Chris Chellios.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
  • Options

So guessing the earliest we could get a new PJ is 2018, that means 5 years in between albums (or longer). That would be the longest wait of their career.

25+ years in... an album every 5 years is probably best case scenario
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,303
    my2hands said:

25 years in neil released Ragged Glory...just saying ;)
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2017
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

I didn't say they couldn't make great records... i just don't expect them very often any more, unfortunately
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I still want to see a mirrorball show....
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited March 2017
    "Why The Long Gap Between Albums before Lightning Bolt came out?" - Pearl Jam & Surfer Mark Richards Interview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQ7NwyjfOs
    Here's link to "I'm Now: The Story of Mudhoney" that Jeff refers to in this interview. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2izqxa
    Personally, I think Stone is doing damage control here about the album gap. Lightning Bolt is not a top 5 PJ album for me.
    1. Vs.
    2. Ten
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    5. No Code
    6. Binariual
    7. Avocado
    8. Backspacer
    9. Riot Act
    10. Lightning Bolt
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,303
    my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

I didn't say they couldn't make great records... i just don't expect them very often any more, unfortunately
    I hear ya, and I know he's a tough one to compare to. Someone mentioned earlier that the band has become more Stones than Neil, and I was thinking the same thing myself.
    At a certain point the Stones found a formula and they have just been repeating it for around 40 years at this point, with less and less time spent on new music and more spent on tours in larger and larger venues. THis sounds much more like PJ than Neil, who releases an album every year that sounds nothing like the album before it, who will play in either arenas or small venues, and is still taking chances at age 71. When was the last time PJ took major chances? They were barely even political last election cycle, and I'm wondering if it was because they didn't want to turn people off. The fact that Trump was mentioned only in passing at Wrigley let me know that the band is a lot different than it used to be.
    All that being said, I still enjoy Lightening Bolt overall (more than Backspacer), and hope they can get something going sometime in the next 2 years... :|
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Banging head on the Wall
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    edited March 2017
    I felt heartbroken once back in tenth grade. The girl who had liked me when I didn't like her then was dating someone else when I finally decided I liked her :smirk: . So I spent lots of alone time in my room listening to What Do I Have To Do by Stabbing Westward and Swallowed by Bush. Aaah, for it to be 1996 again...of course No Code was on constant rotation every day after school.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    PJ_Soul said:

That's part of what he said.

The other part was... until he's back on stage, then he loves it.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Banging head on the Wall

Don't hold back.
    Tell us how you really feel.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,243

PJ_Soul said:

That's part of what he said.

The other part was... until he's back on stage, then he loves it.
    Which makes sense. The worst part of being on tour is probably being away from home. Living out of hotels, travelling everywhere, and eating catering probably gets old pretty quick. The job would probably be easier if you could just show up and play :)
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Wasnt really expecting anything this year. Fine by me. Whatever preserves longevity.

Playing 20+ epic shows every few years is better than becoming a travelling carnival that plays the same 1.5 hour set... and its much better than extinction
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    They Closed Chicago Stadium, why would they close that dump up north?
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Let's not forget that they just went from Oct 2014 to Nov of 15 without a show or an album. The latter of which being the more important of the two right now.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

I hear ya, and I know he's a tough one to compare to. Someone mentioned earlier that the band has become more Stones than Neil, and I was thinking the same thing myself.
    At a certain point the Stones found a formula and they have just been repeating it for around 40 years at this point, with less and less time spent on new music and more spent on tours in larger and larger venues. THis sounds much more like PJ than Neil, who releases an album every year that sounds nothing like the album before it, who will play in either arenas or small venues, and is still taking chances at age 71. When was the last time PJ took major chances? They were barely even political last election cycle, and I'm wondering if it was because they didn't want to turn people off. The fact that Trump was mentioned only in passing at Wrigley let me know that the band is a lot different than it used to be.
    All that being said, I still enjoy Lightening Bolt overall (more than Backspacer), and hope they can get something going sometime in the next 2 years... :|
    I think this is spot on... I fully expect the next US tour to be a stadium tour

definitely more Rolling Stones than Neil at this point...

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

and NO

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

Blasphemy! The over-reaction is getting out of control. They have toured somewhere every year since 2008 people. They may not have been extensive tours, but they toured. They can take this whole year off, enjoy their induction as a band and dabble in their side projects. They played two stadiums that make a lot of sense last year. They are not going to become a stadium act. Everyone just chill out.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    my2hands said:

and NO

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

Ugh,

If stadiums are the wave of the future, I see myself going to a LOT fewer shows.

To each his own, but I'm all set with 50K+ capacity venues.
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    For those heartbroken, maybe this is the time to start filling your soul with the newer bands...
    #rockisnotdead
  • Options
    Jbarker said:

For those heartbroken, maybe this is the time to start filling your soul with the newer bands...
    #rockisnotdead

+1
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    so now the band doesn't like each other? jesus, I thought I had heard everything on this forum. people have this romantic idea that band members need to hang out and be best friends, even 25 years in. that's just not feasible. people change, circumstances change, passions change; are you best friends with the same 4 people for a quarter century? I'm not. creative outlet or not, the same group of 5 people just don't remain a gang of best friends for that long. I'm sure they still love making music together, but they also love doing other things, and there's nothing wrong with that. And I'd rather them get together every few years to make great music together than get together every year to make sub-par music together that they aren't excited about. The live show would SUCK.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com