Options

Heart broken

Comments

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    If true i'd love to see some EV US shows. I'd expect a lot of merch in the next year too. Gotta keep the train rolling...
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,243
    edited March 2017

Maybe they're taking a break from presumptuous fans.

Amen. Pearl Jam fans are the worst sometimes. They did like 25 shows last year, which for them, is pretty big. It's been noted that they are not crazy about touring too much. 3/5 of the band has young(ish) kids. And their drummer has commitments to another band (and he has prioritized PJ first before too).
    I think the problem is that the new system of playing more frequent smaller tours over less frequent larger tours, is they can repeat the same areas more often (ahem the northeast/midwest US). Given the smaller total of overall shows, and repeated areas, there's load of fans who can't see them unless they travel. I think it's creating a frenzy amongst fans. No shows this year means even more frenzy next year :)

Not that that's good or bad. The band has probably been together as long as it has because they don't push the engine too hard. On the other hand they don't play enough shows to meet the demand of their fans, so it does cause frenzy :) Does any other band have as many people travel to see them as PJ does?
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262

Maybe if we stopped buying all the merch they would play more shows.

like um that is gonna happen! lol
    i've stopped but the rest of ya'll a nucking futs
  • Options

I'm so glad that the band decided to hire Chelios as their official spokesman.

The band doesn't have a spokesperson. They never really been good (directly or through the 10c) at communicating. It's funny though. I completely mock bands who feel the need to announce everything in official press releases. I think official press releases saying "we're on hiatus" (aka we're taking a break) are silly. On the other hand I see the craziness that ensues with the fanbase when that's not done.. lol....

But yah the band really doesn't do the press release announcement for every move they make. Thus you end up hearing about it through leaks and other people.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    in the age of twitter we don't really need a press release.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    It doesn't need to be a press release. They have a monthly newsletter. If there is news (and a decision to take a hiatus is news) then have someone type it up and include it on the tenth.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    edited March 2017

whelp... what in the hell am I supposed to do for my dirty thirty now???

Idk....do something creative

Post edited by Brony on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The merch will not stop. If it did some amongst us may learn to live without it (and end up doing crazy things with the unspent money like buying homes, cars, food that isnt ramen). PJ doesn't want that
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

The merch will not stop. If it did some amongst us may learn to live without it (and end up doing crazy things with the unspent money like buying homes, cars, food that isnt ramen). PJ doesn't want that

Drama queen much?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 589
    edited March 2017
    Ryan said:

Hopefully this doesn't mark the beginning of the end. I still have a lot of songs I've yet to hear live.

This post easily could have come 17 years prior from the Synergy board when the Binaural track list came out and "Parting Ways" was last.
    You mean when Pearl Jam was actually a band that was concerned with creating new music on a regular basis instead of just relying on their past catalogue to continue touring sporadically and to sell a bunch of merch?
    I agree that this is the state of the band. It is what it is. I don't blame them one bit. It's their life. They've provided their fans with a lot. They can do whatever the hell they want. I'll still go to shows. I think they play as well as they ever have. However, it feels like novelty/celebratory territory days, admittedly.

A lot of us would've hoped that this band would've remained hungrier, more productive and more driven, but the facts are the facts. 2 albums in the last decade... hell, the last record was broken up into 2 sessions with a couple years in-between. Maybe questioning hunger isn't completely fair? Let's just say PJ doesn't seem to be a primary focus where a majority of their energy goes. Additionally, comments made by the band (Stone, I believe) about wanting to keep songs simple and therefore easier to perform in concert... that seems like a slippery slope to complacency, not challenging yourself, not trying to grow and break new ground. In your fifties, families, other hobbies/interests/projects, etc... I get it. How many fucking posters did they sell at Wrigley last August? Jesus Christ! They can probably live off that dough for 2 fucking years.

Maybe this is just a slow era for the band? Maybe they'll have a late-in-life resurgence (after the kids are out of the house) like their idol, Neil Young? Hasn't Neil put out like almost an album per year since 2000? Granted, I don't love all Neil's shit, but at the very least he's productive. Not a huge fan of Dylan's most recent stuff either, but he's releasing albums regularly as well. How 'bout a different comparison with a band like Radiohead? They've been around almost as long... they aren't a whole lot more productive than PJ (3 albums in last 10 years), but at least they're still creative, exploring, etc. I thought their most recent album was tremendous. I thought Lightning Bolt was basically Backspacer Pt. 2. Maybe a great album if you combined the best of both? Separately, both ok in my opinion.

Personally, I don't like it when great bands get down to just a sporadic sputter. A topic that comes up on this board is PJ's place as one of the all-time great bands. Ok. Well, I think Zeppelin's legacy (8 albums in 10 years, and then Coda after Bonham's death) is better than the Rolling Stones (50+ years together, rarely anything new, and probably no great album in over 30 years). Is that what we're heading towards? Yeah, they're together, but novelty shit like 20th anniversaries, re-releases, Hall of Fame inductions and merchandising are much more commonplace than new, stellar material and shows with urgency and something to prove. On second thought, I don't think we're heading toward that. I think we're already there.
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Ryan said:

Hopefully this doesn't mark the beginning of the end. I still have a lot of songs I've yet to hear live.

This post easily could have come 17 years prior from the Synergy board when the Binaural track list came out and "Parting Ways" was last.
    You mean when Pearl Jam was actually a band that was concerned with creating new music on a regular basis instead of just relying on their past catalogue to continue touring sporadically and to sell a bunch of merch?
    since when do they do that? the only time I recall them touring without a new record was PJ20. they routinely play their new stuff when they tour, which means they honestly like their new stuff. it's not like they play the one single off the record then play all oldies.

the merch thing they didn't do for years, and fans bitched and moaned. now they do it, and people bitch and moan. I buy very little of theirs if it isn't media related, but I also don't give two shits what they sell.

every single band slows down over time. this is not a new phenomenon. it's just something we'll have to get used to. at least when they play live they are still the best act around, not to mention putting on a show longer than any/most other bands out there.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    wnh1977 said:

Ryan said:

I agree that this is the state of the band. It is what it is. I don't blame them one bit. It's their life. They've provided their fans with a lot. They can do whatever the hell they want. I'll still go to shows. I think they play as well as they ever have. However, it feels like novelty/celebratory territory days, admittedly.

A lot of us would've hoped that this band would've remained hungrier, more productive and more driven, but the facts are the facts. 2 albums in the last decade... hell, the last record was broken up into 2 sessions with a couple years in-between. Comments made by the band (Stone, I believe) about wanting to keep songs simple and therefore easier to perform in concert... that seems like a slippery slope to complacency, not challenging yourself, not trying to grow and break new ground. In your fifties, families, other hobbies/interests/projects, etc... I get it. How many fucking posters did they sell at Wrigley last August? Jesus Christ! They can probably live off that dough for 2 fucking years.

Maybe this is just a slow era for the band? Maybe they'll have a late-in-life resurgence (after the kids are out of the house) like their idol, Neil Young? Hasn't Neil put out like almost an album per year since 2000? Granted, I don't love all Neil's shit, but at the very least he's productive. Not a huge fan of Dylan's most recent stuff either, but he's releasing albums regularly as well. How 'bout a different comparison with a band like Radiohead? They've been around almost as long... they aren't a whole lot more productive than PJ (3 albums in last 10 years), but at least they're still creative, exploring, etc. I thought their most recent album was tremendous. I thought Lightning Bolt was basically Backspacer Pt. 2. Maybe a great album if you combined the best of both? Separately, both ok in my opinion.

Personally, I don't like it when great bands get down to just a sporadic sputter. I think Zeppelin's legacy (8 albums in 10 years, and then Coda after Bonham's death) is better than the Rolling Stones (50+ years together, rarely anything new, and probably no great album in over 30 years). Is that what we're heading towards? Yeah, they're together, but novelty shit like 20th anniversaries, re-releases, Hall of Fame inductions and merchandising are much more commonplace than new, stellar material and shows with urgency and something to prove. On second thought, I don't think we're heading toward that. I think we're already there.
    Definitely some good points here. Bands like The Beatles and Zeppelin burned the midnight oil those first ten years and left behind some amazing music, but then they also burned out as a group because of that too. I sometimes wonder what we would have got from Pearl Jam if they had formed as a group 5 years earlier and been able to really use those early years together and churned out music like young groups do. Maybe they wouldn't be together anymore, which would suck.

We're just lucky they all still get along and want to even tour or make records. They don't really need to do either at this point in their careers. Think about some of those 90's bands who imploded and were still making good music. Sometimes the nostalgia is better than what reality would be if they had stayed together.

Anyone who's a Tool fan probably looks at this possible "hiatus" and just laughs. They've released 1 record in the last 11 years and tour at most about 10 every few years. Talk about deprived fans in waiting who have been told an album is coming for at least the last 7 years.

I look forward to whatever the future of PJ holds, but no longer expect anything groundbreaking or frequent in terms of music releases. I just want them to make tightly written music they feel passionate about and continue to bring that stellar live performance they're known for. That's their legacy at this point.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bring on a new Ed solo record and tour Canada in the summer outdoors!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cweeks1111cweeks1111 Posts: 155

since when do they do that? the only time I recall them touring without a new record was PJ20.

2005 Canadian tour. No new record, as I recall.
    east lansing, mi 1998 / auburn hills, mi 2000 / clarkston, mi 2003 / grand rapids, mi 2004 / toronto, on 2005 / auburn hills, mi 2006 / detroit, mi 2011 (ev) / chicago, il 2013 / detroit, mi 2014 / chicago, il 2016 (wrigley 1) / chicago, il 2018 (wrigley 1 & 2) / louisville, ky 2022 / las vegas, nv 2022 (ev) / noblesville, in 2023
  • Options
    I would also say that there's two facits when it comes to bands. At least the bands most of us like. They are both composers and performers. I've always seen those as two separate things. There's many genres of music where the performers aren't the composers. I guess what I'm saying is if a band (and lots of tentured bands do) struggle with the composing part of it, but they still kickass on the performing part of, should they really stop performing?

I say no! :)

It's sad watching our favourite band get older. It's the thing they never tell you about when your young, or at least I didn't understand. It's not watching yourself get older that's the hardest part. It's watching everyone around you, and the things you like, get older. Our band is now the age, that I relegated classic rock bands too in my youth. PJ doesn't seem entirely immune to the same struggles most other legendary life spanning rock band careers that other bands have had.

I hope they keep delivering kickass shows even if the albums get far and fewer between.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Drama queen much?
    Hey nobody said u had to stop buying ramen. Calm down
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Drama queen much?
    Hey nobody said u had to stop buying ramen. Calm down
    I'm calm, you're the one with the histrionic assertion that the band wants us to be poor and eat ramen.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,820
    I used to eat ramen raw when I was in Jr high. Those were the days man.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Maybe ed didn't like the whole temple of the dog thing happening. Maybe there's some inner conflict? Who knows. I highly doubt it.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934

since when do they do that? the only time I recall them touring without a new record was PJ20.

2008 and 2016 as well. I'm not complaining though. I'll take shows over a new album every time.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    sometimesicringesometimesicringe Vancouver, BC Posts: 85

mcgruff10 said:

They were on the road for 3 years in support of Lightning Bolt. Rest up fellas'! Overdue and much deserved.

2015 - toured 3 out of 52 weeks
    2016 - toured 5 out of 52 weeks

They must be exhausted.
    lol. Exactly! Plus they just had seven months off!! How much time does someone need to rest up?
    I don't think it has much to do with rest. PJ is not their priority right now, and can't imagine the fire is there like it was 20 years ago for it.

I've got my PJ concert streak going since 2003 though so I hope this doesn't mean it ends in 2017.
    I've got the same 2003 streak going - drove 24 hours from/to Vancouver to spend 12 hours in Missoula in 2012, and went to Global Citizen in 2015 to keep that going!
    guess it has to end at some point...
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    JimmyV said:

2008 and 2016 as well. I'm not complaining though. I'll take shows over a new album every time.
    ...Euro 2012 (and 2007)
  • Options
    2015 - toured 3 out of 52 weeks
    2016 - toured 5 out of 52 weeks

Only Vanna White works less....

But good for them. I'll miss the music (studio or live) but maybe I'll have enough money the next time they do tour to afford to see them even more shows...

Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    :lol: U guys are more entertaining than ever. This is better than synergy or usenet or aol. No humor. Lots of worry and agitation. Go take a walk guys. Its not that bad. And avoid NHL podcasts i guess too.
  • Options
    PJNB said:

Hell yes! 25cents! U had to microwave styrofoam half the time but damn that was good.
  • Options

fair enough (funny I didn't recall that, as I was at both Winnipeg 2005 and 2011 shows-LOL), but in 2005 the band was still in a very active cycle, so I wouldn't count that. And they hadn't been across canada in over a decade at that point as well.

if we want to split hairs, the cross canada tour in 93 was also without an album, as the touring cycle for Ten had ended, and VS hadn't yet been released.

Either way, if people want the band to only play shows when they have a record to promote, I certainly hope they DON'T get what they wish for.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,820
    edited March 2017

PJNB said:

Hell yes! 25cents! U had to microwave styrofoam half the time but damn that was good.

Microwave? We just sprinkled the powder on the raw noodles and ate them rock hard. :lol:
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    edited March 2017
    I thought it was already a somewhat safe assumption that PJ wouldn't be touring this year, given the schedule some of the members already have laid out and the total lack of tour rumours .... I'm hoping this break doesn't include work on a new album though. I've been hoping they'd give that another try for a 2018 release. Anyway, I never really expected PJ to tour every single year until they break up or die, so this isn't much of a shocker I guess. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    if your heart gets broken because a band doesn't go on tour it might be time to re-evaluate your life. time to adjust the priorities i'd say. just my opinion :smirk:
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    edited March 2017

This thread is unintentional comedy gold
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...