Options

Ticket pricing

Comments

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

yes its high, but then it'll sell out in an iinstant, and maybe the touts earn a little less.

The way I look at it is this.

I was a manchester united season ticket holder for a very long time. Even now i like to attend a good few games a year - ultimately that will cost generally £60. An Arsenal fan may be expected to pay £120 for a saturday afternoon match of 90 minutes.

I can tell you I have left Old Trafford more times than i care to remember utterly depressed and wondering what on earth I just paid good money to see. Ive left the place on euphoric highs too, but there is no guarantee football will entertain me as i hope it will. It always seems a gamble.

I can spend £100 going to see Ed solo, and I know 100% now that I'll leave that venue on a high, blown away, and on cloud nine. There is no gamble, it will be one of the best nights of my year. So I can justify that cost, albeit it might hurt the pocket a little

Great analogy and I agree to a point.

I'm a Spurs fan and go to as many games as I can. Tickets are generally £35-50 except cup games that are always £20/25.
    If from one season to the next these prices suddenly doubled with no reason why, I have no doubt the games would still sell out but there would be a shift in support to the richer end of the scale and i'd be gutted about the price the hike. In the same way I am here.

It has nothing to do with what other bands are doing, stadium prices, anything else. It's a 3 year difference and double price hike which isn't necessary.

I was going to use the Spurs at Wembley analogy to the wally from earlier but couldn't be bothered to argue the toss with him. £5 tickets for a champions league game. Incredible value
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,340
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

I'm willing to pay more to see a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder/Glen Hansard show than I am to see most other bands. I'm not being ripped off when I do that. Not sure how some of you get to deciding a ticket price is "greedy" simply because it is more than you are willing to pay.

Sounds like the main complaint is the huge increase in price from when last time EV played solo shows in Europe.
    And that might be a fair criticism. I'm not sure the comparisons to bands playing stadium shows is as fair.
    I think its a fair comparison. The costs of renting a stadium and putting on a show there are far far greater than renting a small theater and doing a show there. It takes much less people and much less equipment. So the reasoning for expensive tickets in a stadium makes sense because of all the costs involved. Makes zero sense for a theater show. Also remember it is ed solo so no splitting profits with other band members. Its pure greed! People that are defending ed here believe the man is infallible. The have's have not a fucking clue!! Right Ed???????
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    jaxxjaxx Posts: 17
    edited March 2017
    It's pretty harsh to keep calling for the 'TM fight' days. His average fan is now a 40-year-old white male with a full-time job.
    Post edited by jaxx on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

Three hours with EV is well worth $150 a person.
    Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)

seriously considering your offer, where are you ? hahahahaah
    LOL NYC. Where it costs $199 per ticket to take your kid to the lion king-for crappy seats.
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    Pegasus said:

I could maybe afford it, after a fashion (it's a month worth of bills!), but I refuse on principle. It's pure greed.

bloody hell , can I come and live with you if your bills are £100 a month
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    rock4ever said:

Pegasus said:

I could maybe afford it, after a fashion (it's a month worth of bills!), but I refuse on principle. It's pure greed.

elec, gas etc, shared with BF, not food or rent/mortgage.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    edited March 2017
    rock4ever said:

rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)

be very interesting to see what the price is though when on general sale on Friday - USD rate is shit at the moment - remember the good old days when the $ was closer to 2 - Im hoping that they will be closer to the £65 mark when on GS
    Ticketmaster: £85 + 9.75 fee + 5.50 postage
    all seats

• Options
    Get_Right said:

rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

LOL NYC. Where it costs $199 per ticket to take your kid to the lion king-for crappy seats.
    NYC ill buy that - saw Mary Poppins on Broadway once - a women asked where I was from I said near Birmingham , she said Alabama ?you've come a long way, after nearly spitting my drink over her, I said your not fucking kidding I'm England not Alabama so about 2500 miles further hahahahaa
  • Options
    Pegasus said:

rock4ever said:

Pegasus said:

elec, gas etc, shared with BF, not food or rent/mortgage.
    I was only playing you up
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Yeah those do look pricey. I guess we're spoiled with the reasonably priced PJ tickets.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713

pdalowsky said:

yes its high, but then it'll sell out in an iinstant, and maybe the touts earn a little less.

I was a manchester united season ticket holder for a very long time. Even now i like to attend a good few games a year - ultimately that will cost generally £60. An Arsenal fan may be expected to pay £120 for a saturday afternoon match of 90 minutes.

I can tell you I have left Old Trafford more times than i care to remember utterly depressed and wondering what on earth I just paid good money to see. Ive left the place on euphoric highs too, but there is no guarantee football will entertain me as i hope it will. It always seems a gamble.

I can spend £100 going to see Ed solo, and I know 100% now that I'll leave that venue on a high, blown away, and on cloud nine. There is no gamble, it will be one of the best nights of my year. So I can justify that cost, albeit it might hurt the pocket a little

I'm a Spurs fan and go to as many games as I can. Tickets are generally £35-50 except cup games that are always £20/25.
    If from one season to the next these prices suddenly doubled with no reason why, I have no doubt the games would still sell out but there would be a shift in support to the richer end of the scale and i'd be gutted about the price the hike. In the same way I am here.

It has nothing to do with what other bands are doing, stadium prices, anything else. It's a 3 year difference and double price hike which isn't necessary.

I was going to use the Spurs at Wembley analogy to the wally from earlier but couldn't be bothered to argue the toss with him. £5 tickets for a champions league game. Incredible value
    I hear you bud, and it is painful for those who genuinely cannot afford to hits these shows. Im fortunate that I can justify it to myself, and I honestly cannot think of a better night out. the 2012 shows blew my mind, and given your average west end show will easily cost this, i'm fairly comfortable paying it to see my favourite artist in an intimate setting.

I hear you though, but the £ conversion isnt helping at all, who knows the venues cut on this (although granted there will be a lot of buying power with the $ in the sense of their exposure to costs this side of the water), and the varying costs involved in putting a tour on these days, promoters will take a cut etc etc, its that type of industry and the artist probably doesnt do nearly as well as they seem to be.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    I said it in another thread, but it is 2017 and plenty of people can afford these ticket prices and are happy to pay them to see a show. IT is the truth. It isn't 1995, 2005 or even 2010 anymore.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

NYC ill buy that - saw Mary Poppins on Broadway once - a women asked where I was from I said near Birmingham , she said Alabama ?you've come a long way, after nearly spitting my drink over her, I said your not fucking kidding I'm England not Alabama so about 2500 miles further hahahahaa
    Hahaha classic! I am surprised she could not figure that out. I am guessing you dont have a Southern drawl.....:)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    PRICELESS
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

pdalowsky said:

I hear you bud, and it is painful for those who genuinely cannot afford to hits these shows. Im fortunate that I can justify it to myself, and I honestly cannot think of a better night out. the 2012 shows blew my mind, and given your average west end show will easily cost this, i'm fairly comfortable paying it to see my favourite artist in an intimate setting.

I hear you though, but the £ conversion isnt helping at all, who knows the venues cut on this (although granted there will be a lot of buying power with the $ in the sense of their exposure to costs this side of the water), and the varying costs involved in putting a tour on these days, promoters will take a cut etc etc, its that type of industry and the artist probably doesnt do nearly as well as they seem to be.
    £60/70/80 tickets and i'd already have my name in the hat for both London nights.
    Last time was incredible, really incredible.
    I can afford to go I just dislike the pricing and refuse to pay it.

Gutted that i'll miss out but it's the same venue, same line-up and probably the same songs.
    I'm not gonna lose sleep on this.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I understand people are upset by the price but if I could afford it and was in close proximity nothing would stop me from seeing Eddie and Glen at a place like this.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Washed said:

The prices don't bother me. I'd rather the band get the money than after market ticket scalpers. This is no more than you'd spend (or not spend) on Stubhub.

This
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    edited March 2017
    JimmyV said:

I understand people are upset by the price but if I could afford it and was in close proximity nothing would stop me from seeing Eddie and Glen at a place like this.

Me too. And seeing I've spent more on many other acts than Pearl Jam/EV for decent seats, it's not unreasonable for his tour to be priced at those rates.
  • Options
    The criticism is unfair.

I could list countless bands where the criticism might be accurate, but ultimately... people pay the price. So while homeless people might not be able to access... most can with a sacrifice here or there at most.

I could also list countless services- many of them of the essential variety- where the consumers are getting gouged. My guess is many critics here exploit their services in the pursuit of as much profit as they can get, yet feel criticizing Ed for not playing cheaply is okay.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    texasistheSTEVENtexasistheSTEVEN Posts: 1,109
    edited March 2017

The criticism is unfair.

I could list countless bands where the criticism might be accurate, but ultimately... people pay the price. So while homeless people might not be able to access... most can with a sacrifice here or there at most.

I could also list countless services- many of them of the essential variety- where the consumers are getting gouged. My guess is many critics here exploit their services in the pursuit of as much profit as they can get, yet feel criticizing Ed for not playing cheaply is okay.

Noone is expecting EV to play cheaply.
    Noone is against a price rise.

If I sold you a pair of jeans for £50 and you like them and came back a year or two later and they were suddenly £100 would you think that was OK? Same jeans, same material, no difference at all.

I think most people would be fine with a ticket price of £60/70 maybe even £80. Its the double price thats sitting badly with a lot of people. I've never ever paid £100 to see PJ, so paying that to see EV solo is a kick in the teeth.

1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    As long as PJ prices dont jump like this on the next tour im happy. These types of shows you are paying in part for a big name in a small venue.

Lets go back to the happiness of "i cant wait for an announcement!"
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

At the risk of repeating myself, $105.99 USD is not overpriced in 2017.

It sucks it's twice as much as last time, but I think you were getting a better deal back then, as opposed to what's considered market rate now (at least in the US).

Their fanbase isn't poor students anymore, it's 30 & 40 somethings w/ disposable income.

That's life.
  • Options

The criticism is unfair.

Noone is expecting EV to play cheaply.
    Noone is against a price rise.

If I sold you a pair of jeans for £50 and you like them and came back a year or two later and they were suddenly £100 would you think that was OK? Same jeans, same material, no difference at all.

I think most people would be fine with a ticket price of £60/70 maybe even £80. Its the double price thats sitting badly with a lot of people. I've never ever paid £100 to see PJ, so paying that to see EV solo is a kick in the teeth.

I'd decide whether or not I wanted to pay the increase and get the jeans I liked or look for an alternative pair.

Unfortunately, it's the market that has set the price. Comparing him to other performers, he's not outrageous by any stretch. Holding him to a unique standard is unfair and yes... I was there in the formative years and understand what this band was about 25 years ago.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i dont have problem with ticket prices,i know how it works the music intustry especially to book small venues..
    my pro is always i have to travel and pay hotels and flight..i just paid flight for 120 euros plus need bus of 2 hours travel to arive to taormina.. thats more epxencive than concert of taormina tix cost..and 300 euros hotel for 3 days..i would prefer to pay more money to concert tic than all those money in traveling and hotels
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Maybe the higher prices will discourage the jackasses that constantly yell out "EDDIIIEEEEE!!!" in between (and often during) every song from going to his shows. Newsflash - no one is there to hear your fuckin mouth!
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133

Maybe the higher prices will discourage the jackasses that constantly yell out "EDDIIIEEEEE!!!" in between (and often during) every song from going to his shows. Newsflash - no one is there to hear your fuckin mouth!

I generally find they are the ones with more money than sense so it will probably exponentially increase the jackass count.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    kevtic said:

I generally find they are the ones with more money than sense so it will probably exponentially increase the jackass count.
    You're probably right about that, unfortunately. It's a shame that (supposed) adults can't heed the "be quiet" warning at his shows. Those thieves of silence!
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133

kevtic said:

You're probably right about that, unfortunately. It's a shame that (supposed) adults can't heed the "be quiet" warning at his shows. Those thieves of silence!
    Don't get me started on the talkers. :-)
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990

Their fanbase isn't poor students anymore, it's 30 & 40 somethings w/ disposable income.

Yup. It's this.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    JimmyV said:

where is this venue? is ed playing here?
This discussion has been closed.