Options

Ticket pricing

Now i've always been in the camp that admires PJ for their stance on ticket pricing. Even when they had to revert to using ticketmaster, they still worked hard to keep the prices as low as possible for everyone.
I understand that EV solo is a different proposition, but surely the same ideology and factors should be applied.

The pricing for his solo shows in Europe this year (not festival) is outrageous and frankly greedy

Is there any reason at all for an almost 40/50% hike on prices from the solo tour 5 years ago.
£100.00 per ticket is disgusting and really goes against everything this band has ever stood for.

I feel so sorry for any young people who may not have had a chance to see him play before as that pricing will no doubt put them off. Unless they are rich, in which case please lend me £100 for a ticket =)

I am being courteous and respectful before any mods decide to delete this.
I would love an answer on this.

If a huge portion of proceeds are going to charity then I will shut up.
Otherwise how can this be justified????
Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
1996 Wmbly London
2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
2007 Wmbly London
2009 SBE London / O2 London
2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2

Comments

• Options
    wozza77wozza77 Posts: 274
    I will be going no matter what, but then I am late thirties and can afford it. The shame is that I would like to take my 20 yr old nephews to each London night and they just cannot afford it.
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • Options
    wozza77 said:

I will be going no matter what, but then I am late thirties and can afford it. The shame is that I would like to take my 20 yr old nephews to each London night and they just cannot afford it.

I can afford it as well, also in my thirties. It's more the principle over anything else.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,694
    I would go to both irish shows regardless of cost but cant go cause im away on holidays. When comparing the UK & irish pirces, its the same as the GNR shows with the UK option being more expensive which rarely happened before
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    It didn't take long for one of these threads to pop up.

Have you been to a show lately? Ticket prices are very high. I'd assume the costs associated with labour, venue, travel, insurance, and all those other items have risen since 1991.

OP... what service do you provide that works hard to keep prices as low as possible so the consumer can keep their money for themselves?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    What did everyone expect? You think ed sits around with Bruce and POTUS and talk about music?? They talk about ways to make money..its all part of the process..the band is great..cash in. I don't need to spend that kind of dough every time anymore..it would have been nice for them to keeps prices low (er) since they pushed for it..but oh well.

"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    I expected around the £70 area for the uk shows but we're seriously upping the level here.

Paid £85 for the black sabbath farewell shows a few weeks ago and thought that was high.

Considering I only paid $60 for the fenway shows last august this does sting a little.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options

Have you been to a show lately? Ticket prices are very high. I'd assume the costs associated with labour, venue, travel, insurance, and all those other items have risen since 1991.

OP... what service do you provide that works hard to keep prices as low as possible so the consumer can keep their money for themselves?

Been to loads of shows lately, thanks.
    Last time he was here it £50.
    I'm paying £95 to see GNR which will be a full band in a stadium for 3 hours.
    Last time Pearl Jam played it was about £65

How can you tell me that EV solo for £100 is not totally greedy

New to the band are we??
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I could maybe afford it, after a fashion (it's a month worth of bills!), but I refuse on principle. It's pure greed.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,938
    Wonder if these means that merch prices will go up to? :|
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    It's not just the ridiculously high ticket price but once again they ignore the rest of the Uk when this would have been an ideal opportunity to go to the places in the UK PJ neglect. As it is I'd be shelling out over £200 just to travel to the shows and accommodation etc. Not much change out of £500 all in for two shows.

I don't think so.

This smacks of greed pure and simple. Which is kind of sad. He's not even touring with a band so his costs aren't exactly going to huge compared to other bands.
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    The prices don't bother me. I'd rather the band get the money than after market ticket scalpers. This is no more than you'd spend (or not spend) on Stubhub.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    When the increased prices are still half the price of some other major acts out there, it's hard to be too mad about it
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options

New to the band are we??
    Tom Petty, GnR, U2, Red Hot Chilis, and Metallica have dug deep into my wallet and I don't even have great seats.

If you think only a full band in a stadium is worth big money then only go see full bands from the nosebleeds in big stadiums.

New to the band? Lol. Nice feeble little jab as you avoid the question.

Have a nice day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,938
    Agreed. Just spent $250 per ticket for Metallica a couple weeks ago for their Unforigiven ticket package. Spent $100+ each on Chili Peppers, Tom Petty, and Roger Waters too.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    TC282314TC282314 Posts: 380
    These are all much smaller venues.
  • Options

New to the band are we??
    Tom Petty, GnR, U2, Red Hot Chilis, and Metallica have dug deep into my wallet and I don't even have great seats.

If you think only a full band in a stadium is worth big money then only go see full bands from the nosebleeds in big stadiums.

New to the band? Lol. Nice feeble little jab as you avoid the question.

Have a nice day.
    It wasnt even a jab but a fair question as if you knew the history of the band then you'd understand why the huge price hike goes against everything that they have ever stood for. Thats why I asked if you were new?

Asking me if I've been to a show lately and thats it's not 1991 anymore is an underhanded comment but whatever.

It's clear you are happy being ripped off, you paid money to see U2 so that answers that.

bye now

1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,880
    Ticket prices are pretty high. Just avoid buying any food or beverages (10 dollars for bottle of water) at these places. :p
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I'm willing to pay more to see a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder/Glen Hansard show than I am to see most other bands. I'm not being ripped off when I do that. Not sure how some of you get to deciding a ticket price is "greedy" simply because it is more than you are willing to pay.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    JimmyV said:

I'm willing to pay more to see a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder/Glen Hansard show than I am to see most other bands. I'm not being ripped off when I do that. Not sure how some of you get to deciding a ticket price is "greedy" simply because it is more than you are willing to pay.

Sounds like the main complaint is the huge increase in price from when last time EV played solo shows in Europe.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Three hours with EV is well worth $150 a person.
    Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922

JimmyV said:

Sounds like the main complaint is the huge increase in price from when last time EV played solo shows in Europe.
    And that might be a fair criticism. I'm not sure the comparisons to bands playing stadium shows is as fair.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

JimmyV said:

That is exactly the issue.
    It's double the price.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

And that might be a fair criticism. I'm not sure the comparisons to bands playing stadium shows is as fair.
    Stadiums have got nothing to do with this. Dunno why that was used as a comparison.
    It's a club show. So £100 for a club show when it was £50 last time is a very fair criticism.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

If he only charged 50 Euro the last time around, and PJ only charged 65, I can see someone getting upset with this price hike.

With that being said however, I think you may have been getting away with less expensive tickets in the past, as opposed to the tickets being ridiculously overpriced now.

At the current exchange rate, 100 Euro converts to 105.99 USD. This is pretty consistent w/ PJ ticket prices nowadays. ($10-20 cheaper if you’re lucky enough to get 10c tickets, but not much less)

I also understand the thought process that Ed should charge less than Pearl Jam, but he doesn’t. Call it greed if you want, but he’s an established musician who can’t do this forever and has a family to support. The ticket prices don’t bother me. (I believe the prices I paid in 2011 to see Ed solo in Boston & Hartford were comparable to ticket prices for PJ shows, so this isn’t anything new)

I typically expect to pay upwards of $100 now to see an artist of this caliber, so in my opinion this is priced accordingly with the current market.

If anything, you can make the argument it’s underpriced, especially when I see Coldplay selling lousy seats at a 67K capacity arena for $180. All of a sudden $106 for a show at an intimate theater seems like a steal.

PS – lol at the idea of Ed, Bruce & POTUS sitting around talking about their concert ticket prices, I’m sure that’s at the top of their agenda when they get together.
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    JimmyV said:

Because it almost double the last time he played. Because he's a singer in a band doing some solo shows not a solo act like some other acts that charge extortionate tickets prices. He's not even got a band with him.

That's why I think it's greed. Same as you have decided you aren't being ripped off. It's all subjective. To me it look like profiteering on what will probably be two sold out shows. Just because you can charge such a high price doesn't mean you should, Like the opening poster stated i always had some respect for PJ not charging a high price when they know they could probably get it. This just flies in the face of a lot of things PJ and Vedder looked to stand for. He's charging more than GNR, Iron Maiden, AC/DC etc. all much bigger acts.

The question is do PJ now charge something like £150 next time they come to these shores as they are the bigger act?
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    edited March 2017
    demetrios said:

Ticket prices are pretty high. Just avoid buying any food or beverages (10 dollars for bottle of water) at these places. :p

And don't eat or drink for the week before and after.

:wink:

Kidding. I'd pay it without question to see EV and glen in small venues esp when the money is going to the artists and not scalpers. These shows will be special. I'm not wealthy. I have 3 kids. 2 need braces, just bought new glasses for 2 of them. 1 has a great education opportunity for the summer but it's pricey. That same one will go to college in 18 months. Id make sacrifices and go to some shows if it didn't involve Europe too. Please come to the east coast EV!!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    The prices are still less than the market would allow for. Can't fault the artists for understanding that the tickets never go to the real fans but go to scalpers and flippers.

$120 for a concert is not that much money. A concert isn't a right.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    yes its high, but then it'll sell out in an iinstant, and maybe the touts earn a little less.

The way I look at it is this.

I was a manchester united season ticket holder for a very long time. Even now i like to attend a good few games a year - ultimately that will cost generally £60. An Arsenal fan may be expected to pay £120 for a saturday afternoon match of 90 minutes.

I can tell you I have left Old Trafford more times than i care to remember utterly depressed and wondering what on earth I just paid good money to see. Ive left the place on euphoric highs too, but there is no guarantee football will entertain me as i hope it will. It always seems a gamble.

I can spend £100 going to see Ed solo, and I know 100% now that I'll leave that venue on a high, blown away, and on cloud nine. There is no gamble, it will be one of the best nights of my year. So I can justify that cost, albeit it might hurt the pocket a little
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    Get_Right said:

Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)

seriously considering your offer, where are you ? hahahahaah
  • Options
    rock4everrock4ever Posts: 237
    rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

seriously considering your offer, where are you ? hahahahaah
    be very interesting to see what the price is though when on general sale on Friday - USD rate is shit at the moment - remember the good old days when the $ was closer to 2 - Im hoping that they will be closer to the £65 mark when on GS
This discussion has been closed.