Options

Ticket pricing

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    If the venue sells out it is not overpriced. It might be expensive, yes, but not overpriced.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,178
    JimmyV said:

If the venue sells out it is not overpriced. It might be expensive, yes, but not overpriced.

Exactly. If tickets were priced at their value there would be no opportunity for scalpers to resell them. IE if someones willing to pay $200 for a ticket, and the band only charges $100, you create the black market for that item. Bands don't want to look bad and charge $$$'s for tickets, but on the other hand they see scalpers (and websites like stubhub that earn transaction fees from them) making money off their work.

I also think we've seen an overall surge in ticket prices the last two years. It's not just EV. IF you've bought tickets to see any big bands last year this year, it seems like there was a real spike in prices. Maybe it's the promoters bands trying to close the gap between what they sell at and what it's actually worth.

It makes it expensive though. I've said no to more concerts this year than I ever have before. Bands like u2 or metallica that I go see ever tour. Meh (allthough to be fair to U2 they still do that thing where the floor is decently prices, but the seats are insanely expensive, so all you do is buy floor tickets).
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262

In London £100 gig tickets are very rare, I think this is the part that people are overlooking.
    Big artists in big venues, big artists in small venues, mid level bands in mid levels venues, it's very very rare that £100 is the norm.
    Sting is playing the same venue as EV and it's £60.00

so sting and ed are playing the exact same venue the price is 40 pounds/euros different. i see that as a major point that's hard to get behind ed and his promoter on.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2017
    JimmyV said:

Absolutely fair enough...

But how far does the artist push it? Do you charge the absolute maximum you can every time and milk every cent you can? It is certainly the artists right, I don't usually care what any event cost, because I feel there is no gun to my head and have no issue voting with my wallet. Not saying that EV is doing that, just asking.

I feel Pearl Jam is BY FAR the best deal on the planet at still under $100, and is a reason I will always love them. I feel they keep their tickets very reasonable and put out 100% effort every time on stage. Best bang for the buck!!!

I'm staying out of the EV euro ticket debate because I have no frame of reference for European concerts, I will leave that to the euros from those countries. Hopefully he plays the USA soon and I can chime in! :)
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

But I will say $385 for a pair of EV tix seems pretty crazy to me.

I do agree with an earlier post that said the cost of all live events has gone up in recent years and is getting a little silly.

which show costs $385 per pair? that's f'n nutty!
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Haven't had time to read the whole thread but don't forget you get glen too! He's such a great performer and worth at least half the ticket price imo
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited March 2017
    kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.

A great point, indeed.

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.
    This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
    Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
    Iron Maiden, U2, GNR. Dave Matthews band are playing Hammersmith at around £60 a ticket. U2 and GNR are bigger acts than PJ and EV, Iron maiden probably are as well. Dave Matthews band i included as they are playing the same venue and have a whole band to account for along with associated costs. They are certainly on a par with EV at least although imagine they are probably a bigger act. Not sure how they would compare to PJ though.

Ed Sheeran one of the biggest tours to sell in recent times is only £77 a ticket. i could go on but you get the picture.

And PJ, as yet, haven't ripped off their UK fans.
    Wow, 60 euro for that festival is amazing, and you folks are paying better prices than we are. I just paid $119 after fees for a single night at Boston Calling.

What are U2 & GnR charging for their solo shows? Last year GnR prices in the US were insane to start, but when sales faltered they started dropping.

Based on your post though, it looks like Euro concerts are cheaper than in the US.
    UK concerts are way cheaper than the US but the gap is closing as you can see. Some acts are forcing the prices up and others are following them. Too many people are now being priced out. Even some of the smaller gigs that were £25/30 a few years ago are now hitting the £50/60 mark.

U2 is £78 standing. Seated tickets go from £40 up to £187. i think the upper prices are a rip off but at least you have other options.
    GNR is £85 up to £95.
    Maiden is about £65 from memory.
    Dave Matthews as has been pointed out is not the band but 2 band members and it's £52.
    Hold on now, if GnR is 85 - 95, and U2's average price is over 100, then Eddie isn't out of line with the 100 price tag, especially not for a 3-5K seat theater.

I misread your earlier post & thought you were paying around 60 Euro for those acts.

Sounds to me like Eddie's shows are priced fairly for the market over there.
    Think you're missing the point. Those bands are established high end acts. vedder on his own isn't anywhere close to the size of those bands and U2 and GNR are stadiums gigs. Even though it now appears sites have changed the ticket band pricing for Vedder his top price ticket is still way over priced.
    Smaller venues SHOULD cost more - would you rather see him in a 3K seat venue or a 50K seat venue?

We'll find out in a week or two if it's overpriced. If it is, the tickets won't sell.

If it's not, it will sell out quickly.
    Why should smaller venues cost more? All the costs are lower. Way way lower than the cost for Wembley or Twickenham. I'd prefer to see any band in a 3k venue rather than a 50k. The point is those other bands can sell out 50k venues or bigger. Eddie can't.

I don't doubt the venue will sell out but it doesn't mean it is not overpriced IMO. At the top level ticket price.
    Smaller venues should have higher ticket prices because there are fewer tickets to sell and it's a much more intimate & rewarding experience for the consumer. You can argue he wouldn't sell out a bigger venue, and you may be right, but I think most of us would prefer the intimate old timey theaters. (Maybe some would prefer cheaper tickets in a larger venue, which I could understand, I just wouldn't share that preference)

The price hike is a kick in the pants, I can't argue that. But the drastic markup notwithstanding, I don't think the final cost is all that outrageous for 2017, at least not when considering the demand for these shows.

IMO, something is only overpriced if people don't buy it. It may be too expensive for some, but that doesn't mean it's overpriced, not when there are other people willing to pay the price.

Buyers dictate the market, not sellers.

Edit: in fairness, like my2hands, I have no experience w/ the market in the U.K., and the price tag is hard to justify seeing the prices for Sting, but I stick by what I said above...... the buyer dictates the market, not the seller
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    The tickets may be a lot more than last tour in the UK, but the ticket cost is not a lot of money. Sorry to be a jerk, but it just isn't. It may be a lot of money to a family of 5 on a budget with one working parent, but that is a lifestyle choice and not Ed's problem.
  • Options
    $376 for a pair of tickets is expensive
  • Options

What concert costs $376 for a pair of tickets?
  • Options

Picked the Sicily show as an outlier. Most are $150 or less which plenty of concerts have those prices.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I think that is the Tier 1 price for the last show of the tour in Sicily at the ancient Greek theater
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I think that is the Tier 1 price for the last show of the tour in Sicily at the ancient Greek theater
    Damn that's a lot, but that place is amazing. I would be bummed if that was my only chance to see him, but that's life.
  • Options
    Ghost solo at the Greek theater for @dimitrispearljam?
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I would be more than happy to pay $376 for a pair of tickets to see Ed & Glen at The Gorge or Red Rocks...
    Wouldn't even have to think twice!! :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    I will say this... I think $376 is very expensive for any solo EV show, in any venue... that's pretty obvious... but like I said I don't have a point of reference... and I know it's not cheap to get everything/crew to Sicily... let alone the cost of playing that venue... and I'm sure he is making sure Glen is well taken care of (he's worth every penny, whatever he bis getting)...

But if I was going to Europe, I would pay the $376 in a heartbeat to see him in that venue in Sicily. That's bucket list shit right there and would PRAY to win the 10c lotto and see the $376 charge. Missing this one might hurt a little lol
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760

Here is the image for reference. As far as I can tell with the research I have done the $376 seats are the ones that are on the flat at the very front. I would definitely pay for that price for these tickets but with no incline and the chance of a giant infront of you would it really be worth it? By the looks of things the stage is very very low. The next set of tickets which they call price level 2 skips the first set of seats that are on the incline in this image. They imo are the best seats in the house unless you are first two rows on the floor. Why they skipped these seats is beyond me. I am half tempted to skip the tenclub draw all together and try to get a set of these in the general sale for a cheaper price then the floor seats.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    high prices keep the riff raff out - just kidding but not really
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2017

That's cold man.
    Some fans have to save and save for years to experience their magical night be it EV solo or PJ as a band.
    As the prices get higher that savings goal is always out of reach.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Wait 5 more years and then come back to this thread. 100 bucks won't seem that bad.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302

See the losers in the best bars...meet the winners in the dives
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Did someone say it equals $125 USD? IF he ends up doing a US tour, it'll be a tough decision pulling the trigger on those. $250 (assuming you win lottery) for just tickets is pretty crazy. I wouldn't hesitate paying that for the band, but for just Ed, I'm not so sure. I've seen him 4 times and there's not really any new material (although he did start mixing up sets pretty good back in 2012ish).

For those going to Europe, have a blast!
  • Options

That's cold man.
    Some fans have to save and save for years to experience their magical night be it EV solo or PJ as a band.
    And most go to work on Monday and at the end of the day have enough money to pay for the ticket.
  • Options

That's cold man.
    And most go to work on Monday and at the end of the day have enough money to pay for the ticket.
    I tried.
    The people that strike and march over everything are the ones that can't attend.
    I tried.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    my2hands said:

Ghost solo at the Greek theater for @dimitrispearljam?

epic!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    ll try as short i can to put something in the table..how deals made in music intustry...
    ill say one scenario
    an artist has a manager..he mades the deal...
    lets say an artist has fee 100k to play ..
    3 producers wants to book them..so,one offers 100k..second 120k..third.150k...and that the guy gets the deal obviously
    now the producer pays 150k to the artist manager..
    the manager pays the artist,the crew,the personal security,"the accomontation,-transportation,gear(that last ones,depence the deal) etc
    producer lets say pays 30k to book the venue to book ,,pays 20k for promotion..ticket vendor etc..
    we have a total 200k cost,,its his money...he put them upfront...what he has to do now?
    get his money back with profit..u know how??
    by selling tix..
    lets say the venue is 2000 seats,,u know how much is the cost of tix just to get his money back?
    100 per ticket..now add he has to pay taxis to that...and make a profit...
    so the ticket price goes up...and depence the taxes...
    well..thats why he will not do a show in greece..for exable..
    cos need to pay 24% vat..same time in poland will pay 8%
    so a tix at same type of venue ,with say capacity, blah blah in greece for the producer just to take money back will cost 124 euros..at poland 108!!!
    now add at the price.....his profit..cos he works for money.......
    and a fan sees a prices of 150 euros for a concert tix./and goes nuts..its normal....
    and no need to mention the risk,,cos if he doesnt sell out the venue..he is fucked..how u secure that??
    well..u put even more up the ticket price..so in case u doint sell out,,u will not lose money...
    thats oine siple exable how things works..
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    I've not posted for some time on here but the ticket prices for this have enraged me. I for one am not going to be going to this. On principle £100x2 is a heck of a lot of money in one quick hit. I understand you have to pay security, the venue, the crew, accommodation, etc. I am fine with that. I understand he's not doing this out of the goodness of his heart and he has to make a living, again, it's his job. It will be a great show, it was last time, but a 100% increase in ticket prices from exactly the same show five years ago is taking the piss. When you add on money for food, beer and transport, you are looking at a £300 night out - more if you don't have the luxury of living in London already like I do. I can get a weekend away with my wife in a top hotel with flights for that.

I have wanted to see Ed/PJ again in London for a long time and was delighted to hear he was touring. But I simply can't justify a £300 night out. Yes, it will be amazing, but I am glad I saw the show a few years ago. It's a shame as Pearl Jam and Eddie have long been advocates of making prices fair for genuine fans. All that shouting now seems a little hypocritical to me now.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    icemanap said:

I've not posted for some time on here but the ticket prices for this have enraged me. I for one am not going to be going to this. On principle £100x2 is a heck of a lot of money in one quick hit. I understand you have to pay security, the venue, the crew, accommodation, etc. I am fine with that. I understand he's not doing this out of the goodness of his heart and he has to make a living, again, it's his job. It will be a great show, it was last time, but a 100% increase in ticket prices from exactly the same show five years ago is taking the piss. When you add on money for food, beer and transport, you are looking at a £300 night out - more if you don't have the luxury of living in London already like I do. I can get a weekend away with my wife in a top hotel with flights for that.

I have wanted to see Ed/PJ again in London for a long time and was delighted to hear he was touring. But I simply can't justify a £300 night out. Yes, it will be amazing, but I am glad I saw the show a few years ago. It's a shame as Pearl Jam and Eddie have long been advocates of making prices fair for genuine fans. All that shouting now seems a little hypocritical to me now.

good i read this to say something simple...
    2012 in my country hotels vat was 6% ,,now its 13%
    concert tix was 12%..now its 24%
    its how it is..5 years ago a piece of bread was 60 cent of euro,..now its 1 euro
    all are up..all cost of life..it sucks..
  • Options
    henchmanhenchman Posts: 172

No excuses dimi. Chris Cornell played beautiful theatres all around Europe last year and tickets were half the price or less.

EV is playing in arenas with a cheap production, for the price of Tom Waits o Neil Young (on a theatre!).

The prices for this tour are a joke. 11 shows in 30 days is a joke. Skipping Spain (and France, and Portugal) once again is a joke,
    1996: San Sebastian
    2000: San Sebastian
    2006: Barcelona, Vitoria, Lisbon I & II, Madrid, Verona, Milan
    2007: Lisbon, Madrid, London, Dusseldorf
    2009: Rotterdam, Manchester, London
    2010: Berlin, Lisbon
    2014: Amsterdam I & II, Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2018: Amsterdam I & II, Barcelona, Madrid
    2022: Frankfurt, London I & II, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    henchman said:

No excuses dimi. Chris Cornell played beautiful theatres all around Europe last year and tickets were half the price or less.

EV is playing in arenas with a cheap production, for the price of Tom Waits o Neil Young (on a theatre!).

The prices for this tour are a joke. 11 shows in 30 days is a joke. Skipping Spain (and France, and Portugal) once again is a joke,

well..if u think eddie vedder is the same value as cornel..then i have nothing more to add
    if pj plays at the same venue as soundgarden prices will be double..if u2 plays in the same venue will be triple
    i believe the shows will be 13 in the end.if some things happens
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
This discussion has been closed.