Options

Ticket pricing

Comments

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    thanks Irving. Former ticketbastard CEO
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/irving-azoff-threatens-yank-20000-748631
    Zod said:

I thought ticket prices couldn't get anymore expensive, but the last couple of years there's been a real big spike in ticket prices again.

Saw Metallica in 2012, GA Floor Tickets: 125 cdn before fees (which I thought was pretty high). 2017 - It's $180 - A 44% increase in only 5 years. GNR Tickets are $250 for the decent ones (floor, and the first half of the lower bowl wings). You can buy cheaper tickets, but the good/ok ones are really expensive. I'm going to Elton John next weekend. Those were $200. I paid $150 (after fees) to see the Tragically Hip last year. Even Chris Cornell solo tickets were almost $120 last year.

I think PJ at Wrigley, and ToTD were by far the cheapest tickets I bought last year. All the other artists are spiking them up high. Maybe they're getting tired of bots/scalpers. Why bother selling tickets for under $100 if they all get bought up by scalpers, and the scalpers make all the money on them instead of the fans.

Maybe ticket prices are drifting towards actual market price.

I spent a lot on concerts last year but this year I've made conscious choices to skip Metallica, U2, GNR, and Tom Petty.

The other thing that gets me is that alot of these bands are shifting to stadiums. I'm paying way more money to watch them play way bigger venues.

ugh... I'm glad I've seen most of my favourite bands multiple times bit disheartens me knowing this is the first time i've decided to start skipping shows because of cost. I'm now thinking. Which bands haven't I seen that I should direct these funds too (rather than see the same ones over and over again). I hope the stones tour once more. I've never seen them. I know it'll be expensive. But I'll gladly give up four $200 concerts to see them once :)

• Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133

kevtic said:

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.

A great point, indeed.

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.
    This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
    Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
    Iron Maiden, U2, GNR. Dave Matthews band are playing Hammersmith at around £60 a ticket. U2 and GNR are bigger acts than PJ and EV, Iron maiden probably are as well. Dave Matthews band i included as they are playing the same venue and have a whole band to account for along with associated costs. They are certainly on a par with EV at least although imagine they are probably a bigger act. Not sure how they would compare to PJ though.

Ed Sheeran one of the biggest tours to sell in recent times is only £77 a ticket. i could go on but you get the picture.

And PJ, as yet, haven't ripped off their UK fans.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Pretty sure Dave Matthews Band is not playing Europe this year. That is Dave and Tim which is far from the same experience.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Pretty sure Dave Matthews Band is not playing Europe this year. That is Dave and Tim which is far from the same experience.

Probably even more relevant then as it's a couple of members of a bigger band playing like Vedder is.

What about the others who were mentioned?

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited March 2017
    kevtic said:

kevtic said:

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.

A great point, indeed.

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.
    This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
    Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
    Iron Maiden, U2, GNR. Dave Matthews band are playing Hammersmith at around £60 a ticket. U2 and GNR are bigger acts than PJ and EV, Iron maiden probably are as well. Dave Matthews band i included as they are playing the same venue and have a whole band to account for along with associated costs. They are certainly on a par with EV at least although imagine they are probably a bigger act. Not sure how they would compare to PJ though.

Ed Sheeran one of the biggest tours to sell in recent times is only £77 a ticket. i could go on but you get the picture.

Wow, 60 euro for that festival is amazing, and you folks are paying better prices than we are. I just paid $119 after fees for a single night at Boston Calling.

What are U2 & GnR charging for their solo shows? Last year GnR prices in the US were insane to start, but when sales faltered they started dropping.

Based on your post though, it looks like Euro concerts are cheaper than in the US.

EDIT: I misread...... I thought Hammersmith was a festival, not a venue.

Damn, those prices are great for acts like U2 & GnR.

I concede, the EV prices by comparison ARE insane.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    kevtic said:

JimmyV said:

Probably even more relevant then as it's a couple of members of a bigger band playing like Vedder is.

Is it? I've always heard DMB didn't have nearly the following in Europe as it does in the US. The same can't be said for Pearl Jam or Eddie.

As for the others...what is your point? Which of them are playing small venues similar to the ones announced today? Certainly not Guns n' Roses or U2.

• Options
    kevtic said:

JimmyV said:

DMB and Dave Matthews have been very accessible. If they haven't been on tour every year for the past decade or more... you could bet their prices would be higher.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

Like whom?

Wow, 60 euro for that festival is amazing, and you folks are paying better prices than we are. I just paid $119 after fees for a single night at Boston Calling.

What are U2 & GnR charging for their solo shows? Last year GnR prices in the US were insane to start, but when sales faltered they started dropping.

Based on your post though, it looks like Euro concerts are cheaper than in the US.
    UK concerts are way cheaper than the US but the gap is closing as you can see. Some acts are forcing the prices up and others are following them. Too many people are now being priced out. Even some of the smaller gigs that were £25/30 a few years ago are now hitting the £50/60 mark.

U2 is £78 standing. Seated tickets go from £40 up to £187. i think the upper prices are a rip off but at least you have other options.
    GNR is £85 up to £95.
    Maiden is about £65 from memory.
    Dave Matthews as has been pointed out is not the band but 2 band members and it's £52.
  • Options
    Artists are tired of seeing the ticket scalpers buy up all the tickets and raise prices to market value and pocket all the money. EV is charging market rates and trying to keep the money in his pockets vs the scalpers. If the shows don't sell out, then he priced too high, but we know these shows will sell out at these prices and there will be less room for scalpers to profit.
    Gorge
  • Options
    I posted this in the other thread but appropriate for here.

Okay ticketmaster have now got price ranges from £61 to £95. And i feel like a bit of a div.

Although maybe the complaints about the ticket prices have seen a change of heart.

£95 as a top price is still too much though in my eyes.
  • Options
    kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

Like whom?

UK concerts are way cheaper than the US but the gap is closing as you can see. Some acts are forcing the prices up and others are following them. Too many people are now being priced out. Even some of the smaller gigs that were £25/30 a few years ago are now hitting the £50/60 mark.

U2 is £78 standing. Seated tickets go from £40 up to £187. i think the upper prices are a rip off but at least you have other options.
    GNR is £85 up to £95.
    Dave Matthews as has been pointed out is not the band but 2 band members and it's £52.
    Hold on now, if GnR is 85 - 95, and U2's average price is over 100, then Eddie isn't out of line with the 100 price tag, especially not for a 3-5K seat theater.

I misread your earlier post & thought you were paying around 60 Euro for those acts.

Sounds to me like Eddie's shows are priced fairly for the market over there.
  • Options

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

Like whom?

GNR is £85 up to £95.
    Hold on now, if GnR is 85 - 95, and U2's average price is over 100, then Eddie isn't out of line with the 100 price tag, especially not for a 3-5K seat theater.

I misread your earlier post & thought you were paying around 60 Euro for those acts.

Sounds to me like Eddie's shows are priced fairly for the market over there.
    It does.

• Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138

Artists are tired of seeing the ticket scalpers buy up all the tickets and raise prices to market value and pocket all the money. EV is charging market rates and trying to keep the money in his pockets vs the scalpers. If the shows don't sell out, then he priced too high, but we know these shows will sell out at these prices and there will be less room for scalpers to profit.

If all artists were tired of it they'd all do what Maiden just did for their UK tour Apr/May and go paperless and very few tix ended up on secondary market.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Get_Right said:

Three hours with EV is well worth $150 a person.
    Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)

sounds like you're more overpriced than EV lol
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    IamTom said:

If all artists were tired of it they'd all do what Maiden just did for their UK tour Apr/May and go paperless and very few tix ended up on secondary market.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    VillagePJ said:

I expected around the £70 area for the uk shows but we're seriously upping the level here.

Paid £85 for the black sabbath farewell shows a few weeks ago and thought that was high.

Considering I only paid $60 for the fenway shows last august this does sting a little.

I was hoping for the about £70/75.. Tis very pricey but I hope to go to one of the shows
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    £100 is spendy for a one man show. Don't care what the secondary market is doing, if we go to that as a barometer we are all f*cked.
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    #SHITCOSTMONEYYO
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Tiki said:

#SHITCOSTMONEYYO

:lol:

• Options
    Isn't Hansard the supporting act? There's a price he commands as well no?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    #SCMY
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    The ticket with the worst odds so far is the most expensive ticket on sale.
  • Options

Isn't Hansard the supporting act? There's a price he commands as well no?

hes got sales.

#heneedsmoneytoo
  • Options

VillagePJ said:

I expected around the £70 area for the uk shows but we're seriously upping the level here.

Paid £85 for the black sabbath farewell shows a few weeks ago and thought that was high.

Considering I only paid $60 for the fenway shows last august this does sting a little.

I was hoping for the about £70/75.. Tis very pricey but I hope to go to one of the shows
    Fenway Concerts can hold over 30K - you can't overlook that aspect.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    eddiec said:

The ticket with the worst odds so far is the most expensive ticket on sale.

True but I am guessing that the number of tickets for that section are far less then the cheaper seats.
  • Options
    chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 290

kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

Like whom?

Just did a quick check and it looks like quite a few dates on the Green Day euro tour are around the £60/60Euro price bracket.
    I would assume they are playing much larger venues, and probably a lot more dates, yes / no?
    The Green Day tour has 111 dates. They played twelve smaller venues last fall. The remaining shows are being played in arena's, shed's, Wrigley Field and the Rose Bowl. So yes this is an apples to oranges comparison.
    2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    IamTom said:

BINGO
    i just don't get why more artists aren't doing the paperless ticket thing. there is good reason why hardly any u2 GA tickets are on sale in the secondary markets. springsteen has used paperless for over 10 years. not every section needs to be paperless even.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    My guess is last time Glen got a smaller % of the money. This time, you are seeing 2 acts, not just one.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options

IamTom said:

BINGO
    i just don't get why more artists aren't doing the paperless ticket thing. there is good reason why hardly any u2 GA tickets are on sale in the secondary markets. springsteen has used paperless for over 10 years. not every section needs to be paperless even.
    Do Springsteen & U2 use paperless tickets for the public sale too, or just their fan clubs?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my2hands said:

Get_Right said:

Three hours with EV is well worth $150 a person.
    Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)

sounds like you're more overpriced than EV lol
    LOL You definitely get what you pay for with EV. Me? Maybe not so much. =)
This discussion has been closed.