Options

Ticket pricing

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934

JimmyV said:

I understand people are upset by the price but if I could afford it and was in close proximity nothing would stop me from seeing Eddie and Glen at a place like this.

where is this venue? is ed playing here?
    Yes. Last show of the tour in Sicily.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,548
    edited March 2017

The pricing for his solo shows in Europe this year (not festival) is outrageous and frankly greedy

If Ed, and by extension management, were greedy they'd have made more of an effort to pad the tail end of the itinerary with several more dates, especially after the festival. Seems like this was a designed around the festivals and makes it easy for the crew to travel by bus and allows Ed to fly in morning of which is not out of the realm of norm for them.

It's not cheap to tour. All those days off at the tail end of the tour aren't generating revenue. Security alone is close to 6 figures/week and having them sat from the 11th to the 19th while Ed relaxes or roams about isn't exactly sound investment unless looking at the big picture. The crew isn't roughing it and are staying at the same 5 star accommodations. Not a lot of room to cut corners if you want to operate on a level of comfort and peace of mind for all involved.

Europe is expensive to begin with. Getting everything over there on the cargo carrier isn't cheap...this isn't a small indie band checking in their guitars and renting amps and such locally. Can only bring over so much merch to generate extra revenue, then paying taxes on top of it all. It's easy to absorb some costs when you're doing it all as a US based artist while in the US or driving over to Canada but the numbers change drastically when you move internationally. When the band crossed the border in 2016 and played the Canadian dates merch was the same cost in CDN$ that it was in US$ the weeks prior except the CDN$ was worth 30% less. A huge gesture.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

CANT FUCKIN WAIT TO SEE EDDIE HERE!!!1IE AT ANCIENT GREEK THEATER..CANT FUCKIN BELIEVE IT..WHAT A DREAM COME TRUE!!

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    rock4ever said:

Pegasus said:

I could maybe afford it, after a fashion (it's a month worth of bills!), but I refuse on principle. It's pure greed.

bloody hell , can I come and live with you if your bills are £100 a month
    If there was a 'like' button I reckon this would have a shot at most liked comment...ever :)
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    wozza77 said:

I will be going no matter what, but then I am late thirties and can afford it. The shame is that I would like to take my 20 yr old nephews to each London night and they just cannot afford it.

I am in my thirties and can afford. But that is not the point. It's a ridiculous price.
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    rock4ever said:

rock4ever said:

Get_Right said:

Three hours with EV is well worth $150 a person.
    Spend three hours with me and it will cost you $1500. And I am nowhere near as talented. And that is with the 10c family discount. =)

seriously considering your offer, where are you ? hahahahaah
    be very interesting to see what the price is though when on general sale on Friday - USD rate is shit at the moment - remember the good old days when the $ was closer to 2 - Im hoping that they will be closer to the £65 mark when on GS
    They are the same price on Ticketmaster...

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    JimmyV said:

I understand people are upset by the price but if I could afford it and was in close proximity nothing would stop me from seeing Eddie and Glen at a place like this.

what a ripoff!!!!
    looks like they just stopped building it in the middle of construction.
    at least he could play a place with air conditioning. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

JimmyV said:

what a ripoff!!!!
    ahhahahaahahhahahhaah
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,244
    I thought ticket prices couldn't get anymore expensive, but the last couple of years there's been a real big spike in ticket prices again.

Saw Metallica in 2012, GA Floor Tickets: 125 cdn before fees (which I thought was pretty high). 2017 - It's $180 - A 44% increase in only 5 years. GNR Tickets are $250 for the decent ones (floor, and the first half of the lower bowl wings). You can buy cheaper tickets, but the good/ok ones are really expensive. I'm going to Elton John next weekend. Those were $200. I paid $150 (after fees) to see the Tragically Hip last year. Even Chris Cornell solo tickets were almost $120 last year.

I think PJ at Wrigley, and ToTD were by far the cheapest tickets I bought last year. All the other artists are spiking them up high. Maybe they're getting tired of bots/scalpers. Why bother selling tickets for under $100 if they all get bought up by scalpers, and the scalpers make all the money on them instead of the fans.

Maybe ticket prices are drifting towards actual market price.

I spent a lot on concerts last year but this year I've made conscious choices to skip Metallica, U2, GNR, and Tom Petty.

The other thing that gets me is that alot of these bands are shifting to stadiums. I'm paying way more money to watch them play way bigger venues.

ugh... I'm glad I've seen most of my favourite bands multiple times bit disheartens me knowing this is the first time i've decided to start skipping shows because of cost. I'm now thinking. Which bands haven't I seen that I should direct these funds too (rather than see the same ones over and over again). I hope the stones tour once more. I've never seen them. I know it'll be expensive. But I'll gladly give up four $200 concerts to see them once :)
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    100 Pacer said:

The pricing for his solo shows in Europe this year (not festival) is outrageous and frankly greedy

If Ed, and by extension management, were greedy they'd have made more of an effort to pad the tail end of the itinerary with several more dates, especially after the festival. Seems like this was a designed around the festivals and makes it easy for the crew to travel by bus and allows Ed to fly in morning of which is not out of the realm of norm for them.

It's not cheap to tour. All those days off at the tail end of the tour aren't generating revenue. Security alone is close to 6 figures/week and having them sat from the 11th to the 19th while Ed relaxes or roams about isn't exactly sound investment unless looking at the big picture. The crew isn't roughing it and are staying at the same 5 star accommodations. Not a lot of room to cut corners if you want to operate on a level of comfort and peace of mind for all involved.

Europe is expensive to begin with. Getting everything over there on the cargo carrier isn't cheap...this isn't a small indie band checking in their guitars and renting amps and such locally. Can only bring over so much merch to generate extra revenue, then paying taxes on top of it all. It's easy to absorb some costs when you're doing it all as a US based artist while in the US or driving over to Canada but the numbers change drastically when you move internationally. When the band crossed the border in 2016 and played the Canadian dates merch was the same cost in CDN$ that it was in US$ the weeks prior except the CDN$ was worth 30% less. A huge gesture.
    Yet other 'bands' with more equipment, therefore more personnel and overheads can do it with a much smaller ticket price. Funny that.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911

Maybe the higher prices will discourage the jackasses that constantly yell out "EDDIIIEEEEE!!!" in between (and often during) every song from going to his shows. Newsflash - no one is there to hear your fuckin mouth!

yes!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Zod said:

I thought ticket prices couldn't get anymore expensive, but the last couple of years there's been a real big spike in ticket prices again.

Saw Metallica in 2012, GA Floor Tickets: 125 cdn before fees (which I thought was pretty high). 2017 - It's $180 - A 44% increase in only 5 years. GNR Tickets are $250 for the decent ones (floor, and the first half of the lower bowl wings). You can buy cheaper tickets, but the good/ok ones are really expensive. I'm going to Elton John next weekend. Those were $200. I paid $150 (after fees) to see the Tragically Hip last year. Even Chris Cornell solo tickets were almost $120 last year.

I think PJ at Wrigley, and ToTD were by far the cheapest tickets I bought last year. All the other artists are spiking them up high. Maybe they're getting tired of bots/scalpers. Why bother selling tickets for under $100 if they all get bought up by scalpers, and the scalpers make all the money on them instead of the fans.

Maybe ticket prices are drifting towards actual market price.

I spent a lot on concerts last year but this year I've made conscious choices to skip Metallica, U2, GNR, and Tom Petty.

The other thing that gets me is that alot of these bands are shifting to stadiums. I'm paying way more money to watch them play way bigger venues.

ugh... I'm glad I've seen most of my favourite bands multiple times bit disheartens me knowing this is the first time i've decided to start skipping shows because of cost. I'm now thinking. Which bands haven't I seen that I should direct these funds too (rather than see the same ones over and over again). I hope the stones tour once more. I've never seen them. I know it'll be expensive. But I'll gladly give up four $200 concerts to see them once :)

I'm the same. I didn't got to Sabbath because they were charging £85 for the 'gold' circle. Years ago I'd have bitten your hand off for a GNR show with Slash and Axel but saw the prices and thought feck that. A stadium gig is a feckin lottery at the best of times but when you factor in travel and accommodation cause they can't be arsed coming anywhere near your home town I just decided it wasn't worth it. in saying that I'm still going to travel down for U2 and maybe see Tom petty at Hyde park the same weekend but both are expensive yet cheaper than Eddie.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited March 2017
    The only 'big' artists I go see regularly are PJ & Tool, and for the last 5 years, I've expected to pay upwards of $100 to see each.

Occasionally something else will come up: last year it was Iggy Pop & TOTD, again..... each of which were over $100 / ticket.

I think I paid $95 to see Tool in 2012. And here we are 5 years later, and they still charge around $100.

Crazy me, I think it's a steal considering acts like Coldplay were charging $180 for crappy seats last time around. (There I go repeating myself again)
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    It's all about perspective and where we are in our own lives.

Is £100 a ticket fair? In the marketplace for an artist of Ed's calibre with GH as support I'd say yes.

Is it a hefty hike since Ed was last here, absolutely yes and quite a shock.

And £100 is a lot of money to a lot of people, to some people it's a drop in the ocean. There will be people who simply can't afford to pay £100 for a ticket. Perhaps they're unable to work because of health issues, perhaps they're single parents doing the best they can on part time hours. Perhaps they're young and only starting their working life. Perhaps you'd like to take your kids, two memberships gets you four tickets but that's £400.

It's simply not a given that everyone has £100 disposable income. Then if you need to travel to the show and don't have a friend to stay with?

So I do think it's a fair price and I also know a helluva lot of people will be priced out through no fault of their own.

If we can afford it we're in a good place. So maybe acknowledge that and maybe spare a thought for those who aren't.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

JimmyV said:

what a ripoff!!!!
    :lol:

• Options
    for the record..taormina public sales tic are more expensive than 10c prtices
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    should have been no more than £70 its gone up a hell of a lot since eds last tour
    danny d
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

I agree entirely. It's not cheap to tour.
    But what I've got most from your post is that what was a £50 ticket 5 years ago is now a £100 because Ed wants a holiday and not to play some more dates to spread the cost.
    And that is the bullshit.

Even if tickets have spiked the past couple of years a fair price would be £70/80.

Other bands are playing that venue for £30/40. Whether they are a draw or are doing a huge tour is irrelevant as it's entirely possible to do it and not rip off your fans*.

*rip-off being entirely subjective as I have not once in 25 years ever felt ripped off by this band
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

CANT FUCKIN WAIT TO SEE EDDIE HERE!!!1IE AT ANCIENT GREEK THEATER..CANT FUCKIN BELIEVE IT..WHAT A DREAM COME TRUE!!

Have a great time, my friend!! That's some bucket list type stuff right there!!! :rock_on:
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    edited March 2017
    I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.
    Therefore higher ticket prices
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

Have a great time, my friend!! That's some bucket list type stuff right there!!! :rock_on:
    explains why the tix are so expensive.....
    that volcano insurance must be $$$$$$$$

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned on here that bands/musicians no longer make any money off of album/music releases.
    The money is made from concert ticket sales, merchandise sales, and licensing for movies, tv, and commercials.

A great point, indeed.

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.
  • Options
    stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    edited March 2017
    It should be noted that ticket prices in general have gone up because album/music sales have permanently plummeted.

Edit: It was noted :)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126

Ummmm....yeah I'd pay a lot more to see him there.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Ummmm....yeah I'd pay a lot more to see him there.
    Right? That picture with the volcano erupting looks like something out of a movie that I can't believe actually exists.

• Options

A great point, indeed.

Let's also not overlook the fact that these guys are in their 50s now and have young kids at home, they don't want to be on the road 6 months out of the year. Who would? The idea of him doing 36 Euro dates isn't realistic anymore.
    This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

This is true but other acts still seem to be able to do it cheaper with the same family situations. PJ haven't spent six months on the road in a very, very long time.
    Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
  • Options
    The suggestion that poor poor Eddie Vedder needs an extra £20 per ticket is laughable.
    My heart bleeds for him.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options

kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

Like whom?

PJ & EV live shows are in high demand, I would be interested to hear of other acts that are as in demand charging less.
    Just did a quick check and it looks like quite a few dates on the Green Day euro tour are around the £60/60Euro price bracket.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options

kevtic said:

A great point, indeed.

Like whom?

Just did a quick check and it looks like quite a few dates on the Green Day euro tour are around the £60/60Euro price bracket.
    I would assume they are playing much larger venues, and probably a lot more dates, yes / no?
This discussion has been closed.