Options

ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Alright, this thread has got my mouth watering. Time to go out and find some good bourbon.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Picked up a bottle of BAISIL HAYDEN'S. nice stuff and not to exspensive. About $70 Canadian.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    Someone compare Blanton's to Booker's for me. I've had Booker's and thought it was outstanding. Is it worth the extra $30 for a bottle of Blanton's?
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    KC2917 said:

Someone compare Blanton's to Booker's for me. I've had Booker's and thought it was outstanding. Is it worth the extra $30 for a bottle of Blanton's?

Depends on how strong you like your bourbon. Bookers is bottled straight from the barrel, always a high proof 120+. A regular bottle of Blanton's is cut to a normal proof around 90. Blanton's is excellent, but it's just gonna keep getting more and more expensive for awhile.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    See what happens when we have no shows to follow. We all get blitzed on bourbon.
    Where's the birdie...we need a tour!!!!
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    KC2917 said:

You're seeing Blanton's priced $30 more than Bookers? Are you talking about Blanton's Original Single Barrel? I ask because the Bookers and Blanton's OSB are similarly priced around here (I just saw Bookers at $62; bought Blanton's OSB last week for $58). All this before the hyped MSRP increase of Bookers (2017 MSRP is supposed to be $70, down from the previously announced and hyped increase to $100).

If you're question pertains to either Blanton's Gold, Straight from the Barrel, or Special Reserve (as opposed to the OSB), I would say grab them, particularly the SFTB.

Personally, I'd go any of Blanton's over Bookers, regardless of price (unless it is Bookers Rye). Blanton's is damn good drinking (IMO).
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    The Booker's Rye13yr won whiskey of the year from Jim Murray. Impossible to find ...if you find one, you buy it.
  • Options
    I tried Jameson Black Barrel and it was delicious!
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    branscop said:

See what happens when we have no shows to follow. We all get blitzed on bourbon.
    Where's the birdie...we need a tour!!!!

I agree....let's go birdie.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

KC2917 said:

You're seeing Blanton's priced $30 more than Bookers? Are you talking about Blanton's Original Single Barrel? I ask because the Bookers and Blanton's OSB are similarly priced around here (I just saw Bookers at $62; bought Blanton's OSB last week for $58). All this before the hyped MSRP increase of Bookers (2017 MSRP is supposed to be $70, down from the previously announced and hyped increase to $100).

If you're question pertains to either Blanton's Gold, Straight from the Barrel, or Special Reserve (as opposed to the OSB), I would say grab them, particularly the SFTB.

Personally, I'd go any of Blanton's over Bookers, regardless of price (unless it is Bookers Rye). Blanton's is damn good drinking (IMO).
    I was mistaken, turns out they're pretty close pricewise. Apparently you gotta act quick at the local bevmo because they're gone within a few hours after they get their weekly shipment. Fingers crossed for this Friday! Can't wait to try this stuff!
  • Options
    KC2917 said:

I was mistaken, turns out they're pretty close pricewise. Apparently you gotta act quick at the local bevmo because they're gone within a few hours after they get their weekly shipment. Fingers crossed for this Friday! Can't wait to try this stuff!

Gotcha. I was going to suggest the idea of a bourbon swap. Enjoy the Blanton's!
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I picked up some more Booker's tonight and also got the inside track on some Blanton's. I also really like Eagle Rare and it's becoming harder and harder to find too. Bought the only two bottles I could find over Christmas break
  • Options
    Has anyone heard of or tasted BIB & TUCKER?
  • Options
    DavidD said:

I had some over the holidays at a friend's place for the first time. I thought it was...unique...in an earthy way (leathery and grassy with some hints of vanilla). IMO It was strange, but everyone's palette is different.
  • Options
    My upstairs collection (about 25 bottles bunkered downstairs).

Bourbon 2 photo IMG_1913_zpsepnzabuf.jpg

photo IMG_1816_zpsatubzrja.jpg
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    ISO Pappy Van too!

No really, I is so happy van
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Looks very nice!
  • Options

Try Jameson Caskmates. Aged in stout barrels. Great finish on it.
  • Options

I really like the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Feel like they don't get much love down over there.

Hopefully some people made a little pit stop at WT before the Lexington show this past year. I know I did!

See what I did there? That's how we keep the thread PJ related, folks. :smiley:
  • Options

DavidD said:

I had some over the holidays at a friend's place for the first time. I thought it was...unique...in an earthy way (leathery and grassy with some hints of vanilla). IMO It was strange, but everyone's palette is different.
    Interesting. Got a bottle for Christmas I'll have to crack it open tonight.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

Try Jameson Caskmates. Aged in stout barrels. Great finish on it.
    I liked that
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736

Two underrated bourbons there - the Four Roses single barrel and WL Weller.

We got 6 inches of snow in Charlotte tonight so some bottles are going to be tipped tonight!

this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Washed said:

We got 6 inches of snow in Charlotte tonight so some bottles are going to be tipped tonight!

Agreed. I can't tell you how many bottles of the Four Roses Single Barrel I have gone thru. It was one of two bourbons that got me into drinking bourbon. Enjoy your drinks tonight (whatcha drinking?).
    DavidD said:

DavidD said:

Interesting. Got a bottle for Christmas I'll have to crack it open tonight.
    Cool...let me know your thoughts. I always enjoy a comparison of palettes. If nothing else, gives some insight for other aromas/flavors to look for the next time you try a given bourbon.

• Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736

Agreed. I can't tell you how many bottles of the Four Roses Single Barrel I have gone thru. It was one of two bourbons that got me into drinking bourbon. Enjoy your drinks tonight (whatcha drinking?).

Tried a bottle called Willett Pot. Absolutely stunning bottle - and the bourbon wasn't bad, either!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    Washed said:

Tried a bottle called Willett Pot. Absolutely stunning bottle - and the bourbon wasn't bad, either!
    Definitely a nice bottle! Probably would be good for repurposing...into a small lamp, perhaps? Too bad I suck at repurposing.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    For those still following this thread from Vancouver (or BC), the BCL got a massive shipment of the Weller Special Reserve in the fall. For some reason people here don't get what a great buy it is for $39 Canadian dollars, there is still a glut of it on the shelves (something you wouldn't see in most US States)
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Washed said:

And if we really want to come full circle, WL Weller was a product of the Stitzel-Weller distillery, who was the original producer of...you guessed it Old Rip Van Winkle/Pappy Van Winkle.

Proof positive that there are many widely available bourbons that you can buy without the Van Winkle price tag.
  • Options
    mwplum said:

For those still following this thread from Vancouver (or BC), the BCL got a massive shipment of the Weller Special Reserve in the fall. For some reason people here don't get what a great buy it is for $39 Canadian dollars, there is still a glut of it on the shelves (something you wouldn't see in most US States)

True. Many stores around here have gotten to the point of not even putting it on the shelves - a $20-30 bottle - you have to ask or know someone...or sweet talk one of the workers...to land a bottle. (FWIW: They are going to be revamping their bottle for a more "fancy" look...haven't heard if this will effect MSRP, but I wouldn't be surprised)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    mwplum said:

Thanks, theres a shit tonne in Victoria i'll have to go grab a bottle.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434
    In the new Amazon original series Sneaky Pete there's a scene in the pilot where two of the characters share a bottle of Pappy. It would have went right over my head if not for this thread.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

This discussion has been closed.