Options

ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    What's a good price for Pappy on the secondary market? I've seen 10 year old for $400 canadian is that decent? The 23 is around $2300.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    one of the more informational and interesting threads on the board. Anyone notice how positive it is?
  • Options

one of the more informational and interesting threads on the board. Anyone notice how positive it is?

Because everyone's drunk!
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2017
    Horse2345 said:

Except me, I don't drink. But I do appreciate the product and its production. :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHUyu-vXdQ&index=2&list=PL_G-rsxXLraYqsFsNDzzs0fnrjglmkamb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loph4xvC9RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7unZ7enYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoB3Sg3EXTg

I can watch these documentaries and read books about the history and process all day.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    Horse2345 said:

What's a good price for Pappy on the secondary market? I've seen 10 year old for $400 canadian is that decent? The 23 is around $2300.

From what I have seen, the 2016 10 year seems to be showing up frequently around $300-325 US. The 2016 23 year has been in the $1750 to $1900 range.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options

Horse2345 said:

From what I have seen, the 2016 10 year seems to be showing up frequently around $300-325 US. The 2016 23 year has been in the $1750 to $1900 range.
    Cool thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Just read some warnings online to people buying Pappy on the secondary market. They said that people are buying empty bottles, filling them with other Bourbon, resealing them and selling them as new. So buyers beware, i guess. They said that is why empty bottles go for so much on eBay and other listings. Empty Pappy 23 year old bottles going to $200+, does seem strange.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    MedozK said:

Just read some warnings online to people buying Pappy on the secondary market. They said that people are buying empty bottles, filling them with other Bourbon, resealing them and selling them as new. So buyers beware, i guess. They said that is why empty bottles go for so much on eBay and other listings. Empty Pappy 23 year old bottles going to $200+, does seem strange.

That's just wrong man.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Thats a shootable offense.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Horse2345 said:

Except me, I don't drink. But I do appreciate the product and its production. :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHUyu-vXdQ&index=2&list=PL_G-rsxXLraYqsFsNDzzs0fnrjglmkamb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loph4xvC9RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7unZ7enYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoB3Sg3EXTg

I can watch these documentaries and read books about the history and process all day.
    Have you read History of the World In 6 Glasses? If not, I recommend if you are into history of libations.
  • Options

Have you read History of the World In 6 Glasses? If not, I recommend if you are into history of libations.

I have not, but will look into it. Thanks
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    There's a great documentary from the Audience Network called Bourbontucky. Highly, highly recommend watching it (with plenty of bourbon, of course).
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    ME68701ME68701 Hershey, PA Posts: 103
    MedozK said:

On another note, anyone who's selling on the secondary market without a license, just be careful. I'm not 100% definite if this applies to every state, but I think it does. I didn't realize it was illegal until this story came out locally where I live. Kinda feel bad for the guy; not only did he not get his money for the sale, he lost his bottle of Pappy in the process and faces legal fees.

http://www.insidehook.com/nation/not-drinking-bottle-of-pappy-leads-to-pennsylvania-mans-demise
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

Agreed. I'm a relative newcomer to the bourbon game, so I'm picking up some good info on here. I just picked up a bottle of Blanton's today, and plan on trying the four roses single barrel next, unless someone has a better suggestion.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    KC2917 said:

Agreed. I'm a relative newcomer to the bourbon game, so I'm picking up some good info on here. I just picked up a bottle of Blanton's today, and plan on trying the four roses single barrel next, unless someone has a better suggestion.
    Those are two really great bourbons to start with. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I was lucky to get the entire line of Van Winkle products in 2014 (after waiting about 48 hours outside the store in a cold November - this year with the bourbon boom, I would have had to camp out for 8 days (no joke, I went 8 days in advance and there were already 30 people in line) - eff that!

But Horse, this goes especially to your comment about the 10 year old "pappy"....my quick Coles notes:

1. The unique thing about Van Winkle bourbons is that they are wheated. As you may know a bourbon must be 51% corn, and the rest can be rye, wheat, or barley. So a wheated bourbon makes it more sweet as opposed to spicy (rye). While there are not many wheated bourbons, Maker's Mark is in fact wheated. I'd start by trying Markers vs Knob Creek and deciding which one you really prefer. After Makers, the most accesible wheated bourbons fall under the Weller Line (ie weller anqique, wl weller special reserve, weller 12 (very hard to find), and William Larue Weller (varies year to year, usually about 15 years, part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection, usually about 137 proof + and EXTREMELY hard to find.

2. Like all of the Wellers, all of the Van Winkle products are now produced at Buffalo Trace (as opposed to Stitzel-Weller as in the past).

3. the 10 year IS NOT Pappy. This is a very common misconception and to me is somewhat of an injustice to those new to bourbon. The 10 is called Old Rip Van Winkle, and is a great bourbon, but in my option is nowhere near worth $400. I feel like many sellers are hoodwinking newbies trying to get "pappy" by selling these bottles for $400+ The msrp on this bottle is about $50-60 usd.

4. the 12 year IS NOT Pappy. It is called Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B. It is phenomenal, but again, not Pappy. Its msrp is about 60-75usd, but if you can find it for $200 Canadian or less (which you won't) I would say in my opinion, that's what it's worth (to me).

5. The 15, 20, and 23 are all Pappy. You will never find them on the shelves, and it takes exceptional drive, time, advance strategy, camping out, and persistence to find any one of them. They are all great bourbons, but again in my opinion, there are many other bourbons out there that take less time to find, are easier on your wallet, and will leave you just as satisfied.

6. if you are new to bourbons, there are so many other stepping stones you should try first than say jumping to a Pappy 20. Try Elijah Craig 12 (still available in Canada, in US the age statement has been removed), try the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, try Stagg Jr., try Woodford Double Oaked, try some of the accessible Wellers, try some of the BTAC (if you can find them at a local bar), decide whether you like rye bourbons or wheaters, decide if you like barrel proof bourbons, decide what age range you like your bourbon (many people find the prefer flavour profile of 8-12 years as opposed to more oaky, tobacco flavours in older bourbon 15 years +.

7. But most importantly HAVE FUN! Enjoy the ride, and dispel the notion that you need to have Pappy to enjoy bourbon.

I hope this helps some that are interested in this thread. These are of course all my own humble opinions.

Cheers and happy new year,
    Matt

1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplum said:

I was lucky to get the entire line of Van Winkle products in 2014 (after waiting about 48 hours outside the store in a cold November - this year with the bourbon boom, I would have had to camp out for 8 days (no joke, I went 8 days in advance and there were already 30 people in line) - eff that!

But Horse, this goes especially to your comment about the 10 year old "pappy"....my quick Coles notes:

1. The unique thing about Van Winkle bourbons is that they are wheated. As you may know a bourbon must be 51% corn, and the rest can be rye, wheat, or barley. So a wheated bourbon makes it more sweet as opposed to spicy (rye). While there are not many wheated bourbons, Maker's Mark is in fact wheated. I'd start by trying Markers vs Knob Creek and deciding which one you really prefer. After Makers, the most accesible wheated bourbons fall under the Weller Line (ie weller anqique, wl weller special reserve, weller 12 (very hard to find), and William Larue Weller (varies year to year, usually about 15 years, part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection, usually about 137 proof + and EXTREMELY hard to find.

2. Like all of the Wellers, all of the Van Winkle products are now produced at Buffalo Trace (as opposed to Stitzel-Weller as in the past).

3. the 10 year IS NOT Pappy. This is a very common misconception and to me is somewhat of an injustice to those new to bourbon. The 10 is called Old Rip Van Winkle, and is a great bourbon, but in my option is nowhere near worth $400. I feel like many sellers are hoodwinking newbies trying to get "pappy" by selling these bottles for $400+ The msrp on this bottle is about $50-60 usd.

4. the 12 year IS NOT Pappy. It is called Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B. It is phenomenal, but again, not Pappy. Its msrp is about 60-75usd, but if you can find it for $200 Canadian or less (which you won't) I would say in my opinion, that's what it's worth (to me).

5. The 15, 20, and 23 are all Pappy. You will never find them on the shelves, and it takes exceptional drive, time, advance strategy, camping out, and persistence to find any one of them. They are all great bourbons, but again in my opinion, there are many other bourbons out there that take less time to find, are easier on your wallet, and will leave you just as satisfied.

6. if you are new to bourbons, there are so many other stepping stones you should try first than say jumping to a Pappy 20. Try Elijah Craig 12 (still available in Canada, in US the age statement has been removed), try the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, try Stagg Jr., try Woodford Double Oaked, try some of the accessible Wellers, try some of the BTAC (if you can find them at a local bar), decide whether you like rye bourbons or wheaters, decide if you like barrel proof bourbons, decide what age range you like your bourbon (many people find the prefer flavour profile of 8-12 years as opposed to more oaky, tobacco flavours in older bourbon 15 years +.

7. But most importantly HAVE FUN! Enjoy the ride, and dispel the notion that you need to have Pappy to enjoy bourbon.

I hope this helps some that are interested in this thread. These are of course all my own humble opinions.

Cheers and happy new year,
    Matt

Thank you for all of this valuable information. I am relatively new to the bourbons and admit i've fallen prey to the Pappy hype. This info helps a lot and gives me a good place to start from. Much appreciated.
    Cheers
  • Options
    KC2917 said:

Wathen's, Eagle Rare 10, and Elijah Craig Small Batch are some other good ones to get you going in the bourbon game. Four Roses Single Barrel is excellent as well. Enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    MedozK said:

On a similar note, I recently watched a documentary about people selling and trading collectible wines that ended up being fakes. Sometimes even unbeknownst to the seller. And many of the folks involved were long time friends, business partners, etc. I'd be very leery of the secondary market when it comes to highly sought after alcohol.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

When you are done with your Pappy bottle you are encouraged to destroy the bottle or make a Lamp out of it. Don't sell it. That goes for ALL your high end cordials and bourbons!

Some things to check for when buying secondary:

1-The sealed cap/foil. Remember that these are put on in a multi million dollar bottling facility so they should be tight. If it looks loose or bubbly most likely it was put on in a bathroom with a hairdryer...

2-Color. Know the color of the juice that you are drinking!

3-Bottling Matrix number. There is a digital printed number at the base of the bottle that tells the year of the bottling. So if someone tells you that they have this Years Pappy and the first two digits are NOT 16 then you have a problem. There have been occurrences where the matrix has rubbed off. Quite possible. Just be careful.

4-Know your source!!! I bought my bottles from my local liquor store and have been hounding them for a year and a half to buy them. I buy wine by the case from them so they see me a few times a year and I also buy single bottles so they have a relationship with me. This year they sold me the 20 last year the 12. I'm hoping they get a 23 for me next year.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm most likely going to trade off my 20y0 Pappy. Let me know if you are interested.
  • Options
    There is some good info and insight floating around in this post of late.

I want to echo the "build a relationship" thing. I feel that, besides some rare good luck, this is the biggie when chasing a unicorn. Become a regular at you local establishment; strike up conversations; spend money on the typical (and often delicious) stuff on the shelves. Don't just go in and expect to walk out with said unicorn without paying your dues. Over time it will pay off.

On a side and sad note, tonight we raise a glass to Mr. Parker Beam - Master Distiller Emeritus at Heaven Hill - who lost his long battle with ALS. He's was (is) a legend in the bourbon game. I have some Elijah Craig waiting on me. Rest easy, sir!
  • Options

There is some good info and insight floating around in this post of late.

I want to echo the "build a relationship" thing. I feel that, besides some rare good luck, this is the biggie when chasing a unicorn. Become a regular at you local establishment; strike up conversations; spend money on the typical (and often delicious) stuff on the shelves. Don't just go in and expect to walk out with said unicorn without paying your dues. Over time it will pay off.

On a side and sad note, tonight we raise a glass to Mr. Parker Beam - Master Distiller Emeritus at Heaven Hill - who lost his long battle with ALS. He's was (is) a legend in the bourbon game. I have some Elijah Craig waiting on me. Rest easy, sir!

Kinda like ISO GA tickets = first post ;)
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    RIP Parker Beam, true legend. Fuck ALS.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    mwplum said:

RIP Parker Beam, true legend. Fuck ALS.

That sucks big time.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    We went a day without bourbon discussion. That was long enough!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I went to the shop yesterday, no luck finding any of the stuff from the thread. I know time to find a new shop.......

Just wanted to condense the list for ease of seach-ability for next time I visit a shop - going on a beer-less diet and need more liquor.........

Wellers
    Elijah Craig
    Four Roses
    Stag Jr.
    Bookers
    Eagle
    Buffalo Trace Antique
    Wild Turkey Spirit
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444

Washed said:

My upstairs collection (about 25 bottles bunkered downstairs).

Bourbon 2 photo IMG_1913_zpsepnzabuf.jpg

photo IMG_1816_zpsatubzrja.jpg

Two underrated bourbons there - the Four Roses single barrel and WL Weller.

We got 6 inches of snow in Charlotte tonight so some bottles are going to be tipped tonight!

Agreed. I can't tell you how many bottles of the Four Roses Single Barrel I have gone thru. It was one of two bourbons that got me into drinking bourbon. Enjoy your drinks tonight (whatcha drinking?).
    DavidD said:

DavidD said:

Has anyone heard of or tasted BIB & TUCKER?

I had some over the holidays at a friend's place for the first time. I thought it was...unique...in an earthy way (leathery and grassy with some hints of vanilla). IMO It was strange, but everyone's palette is different.
    Interesting. Got a bottle for Christmas I'll have to crack it open tonight.
    Cool...let me know your thoughts. I always enjoy a comparison of palettes. If nothing else, gives some insight for other aromas/flavors to look for the next time you try a given bourbon.

Well, my take on bib and tucker is that
    I can get the smell of Caramel and a bit of an earthyness coming through and when it first hit the tongue I can get a hint of caramel But the finish is more on the earthy side with a little hint of liquorice. Not one I would serve to a non whisky/bourbon drinker.
    Definitely a unique flavour that I will enjoy drinking when riding the hills and playing a little pond hockey this winter.

• Options

I went to the shop yesterday, no luck finding any of the stuff from the thread. I know time to find a new shop.......

Just wanted to condense the list for ease of seach-ability for next time I visit a shop - going on a beer-less diet and need more liquor.........

Wellers
    Elijah Craig
    Four Roses
    Stag Jr.
    Bookers
    Eagle
    Buffalo Trace Antique
    Wild Turkey Spirit

If you are newer to the bourbon market, stick to the ones that are 80-90 something proof (but always above 80). Some of the barrel proof ones (ie Bookers) will be at 120 proof or greater. That's just way to "hot" for some peoples palates initially.

If you do get a higher proof one, it's perfectly ok to add a couple drops of water to help "open" it up. That will help release all the aromas and flavors. Actually i recommend a drop or three to any whiskey.

So my recs from list list would be:
    Four Roses Single (100proof)
    Four Rose (80 proof)
    Elijah Craig Small Batch (94)
    Eagle Rare (90)

And I'll add another gem of mine: Michter's Bourbon or the Michters American Whiskey (91 and 83 proof, respectively)

Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Wellers
    Elijah Craig
    Four Roses
    Stag Jr.
    Bookers
    Eagle
    Buffalo Trace Antique
    Wild Turkey Spirit

FWIW, The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection consists of five bourbons/ryes and they are often a tough find (unicorn-esque). Scoring one of these usually involves a good bit of leg work similar to what has been previously discussed. They are well worth it though!

A couple other more common good ones (roughly $30-80 +/- range) that might be worth adding to the list include:

Blanton's
    EH Taylor Small Batch
    EH Taylor Single Barrel
    Elmer T Lee
    Old Forester 1920 - Prohibition Style
    Basil Hayden's
    McKenna 10
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Wathen's (a recent favorite of mine)
  • Options
    Looking to enjoy some 25yro El Dorado rum this weekend. It tastes like a cognac. A very, very good cognac. If you ever have the opportunity to sample this make sure you do.
This discussion has been closed.