Options

DNC Philadelphia 2016

Welcome to Philly. I'll be your eyes and ears on the ground. Let me know if I can get you a cheesesteak, or better yet a roast pork sandwich. Perhaps a Victory Summer Love to wash it down.

Protests have been going on for weeks. Let's hope everything goes well and everyone stays safe.

Some political star power coming through the city of brotherly love this week. Yours truly has about a 5% chance of getting into a Bill Clinton event on Wednesday at WHYY, home of the incredible Terry Gross.

Enjoy the festivities.

Comments

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Lock Him Up!! Lock Him Up!!
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiing.
  • Options
    First time I ever had spinach on pizza was in Philly. True story.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    will there be fearmongering, hyperbole, and a balloon drop? if any of those are lacking, it ain't a proper convention.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It would be awesome if the balloons were filled with nitrous. Do a bunch of whip-it's on convention floor.
    Post edited by CH156378 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Security is tight. As close as I can get to the arena on my bike.

Bernie protesters are already starting to gather at the park across the street.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:

Isn't that the way a political event should be?

Your endorsement of a circus atmosphere seems to be rather low brow for your level of intelligence and information.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Very cool, Cliffy. Thanks for keeping us posted!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Bernie people everywhere!
  • Options
    Nbc setting up shop on independence mall

I'm done. Nap time
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Your post made me think of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Are the Bernie people everywhere for Hillary / the DNC or there in protest of same?

Meaning, are they there for Sanders or in support of the candidates?

• Options
    hedonist said:

Your post made me think of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Are the Bernie people everywhere for Hillary / the DNC or there in protest of same?

Meaning, are they there for Sanders or in support of the candidates?

Hahaha

No clue. Didn't get a chance to chat with anyone. Am sure I will this week. There are definitely some here to protest but I just saw a ton of Bernie shirts around town.

Saw one trump shirt and go figure, it was an old mustachioed white haired white man.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    BS44325 said:

Seriously? Since when was a convention not Boring? The elephants weren't exciting. I fell asleep several times during elephants speeches.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    The DNC is now in disarray. Their own Chairwoman just had her speaking slot taken away.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/politics/dnc-wikileaks-emails/index.html

Watching Bernie Sanders on the Sunday shows this morning should be painful for all those who applauded Cruz's stance at the RNC convention. He is throwing out all his principles even after the email leaks and even after a non-progressive was names to the ticket.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to Sanders speech. I'm sure it's going to draw up a lot of attention considering these new developments.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited July 2016
    All Debbie Wasserman Schultz appearances scrapped from DNC

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz will not speak at or preside over the party's convention this week, a decision reached by party officials Saturday after emails surfaced that raised questions about the committee's impartiality during the Democratic primary...
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    With all the talk of the Republican party nominating an authoritarian in waiting it is amazing which party actually behaved with a more authoritarian bent throughout the primaries.
  • Options
    The protests have begun

https://youtu.be/k28KgDukHPY
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    BS44325 said:

With all the talk of the Republican party nominating an authoritarian in waiting it is amazing which party actually behaved with a more authoritarian bent throughout the primaries.

Oh come on, you are not actually saying that political maneuvers within a party are comparable to "they are rapists, build a wall, nuke Europe, start trade war with China, ban and register a religion" rhetoric, are you? That's ridiculous.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Oh come on, you are not actually saying that political maneuvers within a party are comparable to "they are rapists, build a wall, nuke Europe, start trade war with China, ban and register a religion" rhetoric, are you? That's ridiculous.
    Up until this point one party has behaved with an authoritarian bent while another party hasn't. If a campaign is really supposed to reflect how one might govern then the concerns of authoritarianism are clearly being pointed in the wrong direction. #demexit is trending for a reason.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Up until this point one party has behaved with an authoritarian bent while another party hasn't. If a campaign is really supposed to reflect how one might govern then the concerns of authoritarianism are clearly being pointed in the wrong direction. #demexit is trending for a reason.
    You don't see an authoritarian bent in Trump's rhetoric?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    BS44325 said:

Yes, your posts are boring.
  • Options
    CH156378 said:

First time I ever had spinach on pizza was in Philly. True story.

Not as bad as broccoli. Anger from Inside Out would agree.

I love artichoke as a topping, though.
  • Options
    The DNC's behavior is reprehensible and clearly conspiratorial, but authoritarian seems quite a stretch.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited July 2016
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

BS can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he was comparing exaggerated rhetoric from the Republican party with the political maneuvering of the Democrat party at all. Rather, for all the Democratic rhetoric criticizing Trump and alluding to the fact that he would run the country like an authoritarian regime, it's fairly hypocritical given the way the Democratic party have attempted to stack cards in ways that benefit the continuity of the lucrative status quo they've formed over the years (i.e. the ideals that Clinton represents over the ideals that Sanders represents) which if not classified as authoritarian - are certainly deceptively and sneakily manipulative tactics. And if that's what BS is saying - I don't disagree in the slightest.

This is just my opinion, but from my perspective, both parties have acted in pretty infantile ways this election.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Free said:

All Debbie Wasserman Schultz appearances scrapped from DNC

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz will not speak at or preside over the party's convention this week, a decision reached by party officials Saturday after emails surfaced that raised questions about the committee's impartiality during the Democratic primary...
    Bye Felicia. :joy:
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

The protests have begun

https://youtu.be/k28KgDukHPY

They lost that vote
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say their is zero authoritarian flavor to the Dem's platform but the Republican/Trump rhetoric goes beyond that to something worse than awful.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Like Obama I see a man who sees no problem with governing through executive order. This concerns me. The Obama administration and his supporters normalized this type of governance by eroding the concept of checks and balances under the guise of "obstructionism". My thoughts however is that Clinton would be far more likely to abuse this system compared to Trump. Clinton's behaviour to date speaks far louder then any of Trump's "rhetoric".
  • Options
    benjs said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

BS can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he was comparing exaggerated rhetoric from the Republican party with the political maneuvering of the Democrat party at all. Rather, for all the Democratic rhetoric criticizing Trump and alluding to the fact that he would run the country like an authoritarian regime, it's fairly hypocritical given the way the Democratic party have attempted to stack cards in ways that benefit the continuity of the lucrative status quo they've formed over the years (i.e. the ideals that Clinton represents over the ideals that Sanders represents) which if not classified as authoritarian - are certainly deceptively and sneakily manipulative tactics. And if that's what BS is saying - I don't disagree in the slightest.

This is just my opinion, but from my perspective, both parties have acted in pretty infantile ways this election.
    This exactly. Thank you.