Terrorist Shooting In Orlando, FL

Comments

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    You'll see.
    Just wait for it.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Don't know which post was supposed to be offensive (none seemed offensive to me).
    Him, a Trump supporter, being against anything "offensive" is rich coming from him. They scream "Why are you libs so PC?" yet cry "Why are you so un PC against me and my support for Trump" believing they can have it both ways. If you dish it out, don't play the victim card when you take it. Anything that is even remotely to the left of Trump offends them.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    You'll see.
    Just wait for it.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Don't know which post was supposed to be offensive (none seemed offensive to me).
    Him, a Trump supporter, being against anything "offensive" is rich coming from him. They scream "Why are you libs so PC?" yet cry "Why are you so un PC against me and my support for Trump" believing they can have it both ways. If you dish it out, don't play the victim card when you take it. Anything that is even remotely to the left of Trump offends them.
    IH80 we are of the same mind it's incredible.
    I have found my twin in this world.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

It's pathetic seeing republicans who hate gays just like the Muslims bashing liberals as Muslim lovers after this. What do you bigots care other than scoring political points?

It is this comment that is pathetic and you are off base in referring to people such as myself as bigots. Republicans do not hate gays. That is a caricature that you have created in your mind. There are some, who I happen to disagree with, who would prefer not to be forced to bake a cake out of their own religious beliefs but that is a far cry from hatred. Try to understand the difference between that belief and those of radical Islam. Second, nobody is calling liberals "muslim lovers" either. What is being said is that your progressive need to respect the cultural sensitivities of radical muslims is in direct contradiction to our collective need of protecting the rights of women and the LGBT community. You excuse the beliefs of one community at the expense of the other and in doing so it put us all at greater risk of attack. Smarten up.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Even with a metal detector, at that point, I'm not sure what good it would have done.

My heart goes out to those people who were fucking ambushed, and those mourning them this morning.

from what I've read an officer engaged him outside the club; the shooter then went into the club.
    what the hell kind of device did he have? are there know suicide bombers active in the u.s.?! fuck
    Early reports are calling that "device" an assault weapon.
    Early reports also list Omar Mir Seddique Mateen as a registered Democrat.
    Oh boy.
    OMFG. All Dems are terrorists? I'm a terrorist? Holy shit.
    BS44325 said:

More details on the case...

Info on the killers father:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/12/orlando-shooting-suspects-father-hosted-a-political-tv-show-and-even-tried-to-run-for-the-afghan-presidency/

And this from a co-worker:

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/crime/2016/06/12/who-omar-mateen/85791280/

Like previous Islamic attacks this is starting to look like law enforcement failing to connect dots OR connecting them but failing to do anything about it.

A lot of things point to him being homophobic more so than ant-West.
    A lot of things point to him being a known radical...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/12/orlando-gunman-tied-to-radical-imam-released-from-prison-last-year-say-law-enforcement-sources.html
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Even with a metal detector, at that point, I'm not sure what good it would have done.

My heart goes out to those people who were fucking ambushed, and those mourning them this morning.

from what I've read an officer engaged him outside the club; the shooter then went into the club.
    what the hell kind of device did he have? are there know suicide bombers active in the u.s.?! fuck
    Oh boy.
    BS44325 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/12/orlando-shooting-suspects-father-hosted-a-political-tv-show-and-even-tried-to-run-for-the-afghan-presidency/

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/crime/2016/06/12/who-omar-mateen/85791280/

Like previous Islamic attacks this is starting to look like law enforcement failing to connect dots OR connecting them but failing to do anything about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/12/orlando-gunman-tied-to-radical-imam-released-from-prison-last-year-say-law-enforcement-sources.html
    That guy just sounds like a common criminal. And the shooter seems deranged, unhinged, confused and aimless. His father appears to be a goof as well, although he claims his son wasn't religious at all, but hated gay people. Unfortunately an assault rifle was available to him.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,671
    One unnamed source may not qualify as "a lot". At this point, people have concluded he's a terrorist, although no one in law enforcement has come out with evidence of a connection (unless I missed those articles) or if he was acting alone.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

It's pathetic seeing republicans who hate gays just like the Muslims bashing liberals as Muslim lovers after this. What do you bigots care other than scoring political points?

It is this comment that is pathetic and you are off base in referring to people such as myself as bigots. Republicans do not hate gays. That is a caricature that you have created in your mind. There are some, who I happen to disagree with, who would prefer not to be forced to bake a cake out of their own religious beliefs but that is a far cry from hatred. Try to understand the difference between that belief and those of radical Islam. Second, nobody is calling liberals "muslim lovers" either. What is being said is that your progressive need to respect the cultural sensitivities of radical muslims is in direct contradiction to our collective need of protecting the rights of women and the LGBT community. You excuse the beliefs of one community at the expense of the other and in doing so it put us all at greater risk of attack. Smarten up.
    If someone wants to refuse services to someone based on the fact that they're gay, please explain the thinking behind that belief that somehow doesn't fit the definition of hate.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

If someone wants to refuse services to someone based on the fact that they're gay, please explain the thinking behind that belief that somehow doesn't fit the definition of hate.
    It has been explained on other threads. Again...I don't agree or support the belief but I don't think a religious person who says "if you want to get married fine but please don't make me participate in it" is far different from an Imam who says "all gays must die". I'm sure you can distinguish between the two. You can right? Maybe not. Hard to tell anymore. People have seem to have lost all sense of perspective.
  • Options
    There's differences and similarities, but you're changing the subject. Peel back the layers of a so called Christian who is anti-gay, and what you get at is fear & ignorance, manifesting as hate. I don't minimize it, like you may be inclined to.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Oh boy.
    BS44325 said:

That guy just sounds like a common criminal. And the shooter seems deranged, unhinged, confused and aimless. His father appears to be a goof as well, although he claims his son wasn't religious at all, but hated gay people. Unfortunately an assault rifle was available to him.
    A common criminal? For real?
  • Options
    He may have acted alone, or he may have been tied to a terrorist group, we don't yet. Why try to force a narrative?
  • Options

He may have acted alone, or he may have been tied to a terrorist group, we don't yet. Why try to force a narrative?

Forcing a narrative? Did you even read any of this from the link above:

"Omar Mateen, whose bloody siege inside a packed Orlando gay nightclub ended when SWAT teams stormed the building and killed him, was a radical Muslim who followed Marcus Dwayne Robertson, a law enforcement source said.

“It is no coincidence that this happened in Orlando,” said a law enforcement source familiar with Robertson’s history of recruiting terrorists and inciting violence. “Mateen was enrolled in [Robertson’s online] Fundamental Islamic Knowledge Seminary.”

Robertson's school may not have been the only source of Mateen's spiritual guidance. The gunman was at the Islamic Center of Fort Pierce with Imam Shafiq Rahman two days before the nightclub attack, according to The Washington Post. That mosque was frequented by American-born suicide bomber Monar abu Salha, who blew himself up in Syria in 2014, and the two knew each other..."

Whether he acted on his own is completely irrelevant to the narrative that already exists!

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,896
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Source. And follow up.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

callen said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Oh boy.
    BS44325 said:

A common criminal? For real?
    I'm talking about the guy who was just released from jail. He sounds like a criminal who uses religion to justify his illegal activity. Look at the stuff he has done, it appears to be all related to personal enrichment. I have no idea what's in his heart, but religion just seems like his excuse.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    My thoughts goes to the victims of this meaningless hate crime.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    It doesn't really matter if this guy was acting alone, acting on behalf of a group, or connected with a terrorist organization. This guy is a terrorist and this was a terrorist attack. Hate crimes and terrorism go hand in hand.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Source. And follow up.

http://voters.findthedata.com/d/b/Omar-Mateen

No word yet on whether he was for Hillary or for Bernie.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,169

rgambs said:

The firearms were legally purchased recently

Off course it's really a dog chasing his tail syndrome in this country , what do we do ban all Muslims from entering the country and rounding up the ones that are already here , but still keep the same laws in place where any one even people on watch list can walk into gun shop and purchase any weapon that's there for sale ?? We are fucked !!
    what jose said
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    his father said "he got angry when he saw two men kissing" islamaphobia ......
    also reports of threats on Florida prior to the killing.....time to wake up kiddies.

Godfather.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,896

also reports of threats on Florida prior to the killing.....time to wake up kiddies.

Godfather.

wake up to what?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

wake up to what?
    you have to ask ? islam has waged war against the American people and pretending that only a small part of islam is responsible or radical is a mistake..but you folks believe as you wish and keep blaming these killings on guns and gun laws (bullshit).....only on the train..

Godfather.

• Options
    The gunman who killed at least 50 people at an Orlando nightclub early Sunday was described by a former colleague as an "unhinged and unstable" person who repeatedly made racist, misogynist and homophobic remarks.

Daniel Gilroy, a former police officer, worked as a security officer with G4S Security at the PGA Village complex in Port St. Lucie. Pulse nightclub shooter Omar Mateen worked the shift right after Gilroy at the complex's south gate.

Gilroy described Mateen as a devout Muslim who brought a prayer mat to work and prayed several times a day.

"There was never a moment where he didn't have anger and rage," Gilroy told "The Kelly File". "And he was always loud and cursing. And anytime a female or a black person came by, he would use horrible words."

On one occasion, Gilroy said, Mateen told him, "I would just like to kill all those [n-words]" after a conversation between Mateen and a black man. "A few times he mentioned homosexuals and Jewish people," Gilroy said, "but we didn't deal with them quite as often, so it was mostly women and blacks, because those were the people in front of us."

Gilroy told Florida Today that he complained to his superiors several times about Mateen, but they refused to take action because, Gilroy claimed, Mateen was Muslim. Gilroy said he quit G4S in 2015 after Mateen began sending him dozens of harassing text and phone messages per day.

"Everything he said was toxic," Gilroy told the paper, "and the company wouldn't do anything. This guy was unhinged and unstable. He talked of killing people."

PGA Village resident Eleanora Dori, however, described Mateen to Florida Today as "very polite" and "always a gentleman."

"You would never ever think that he would have done anything like this," she told the paper. "Scary, scary. Very scary."

In a statement late Sunday, G4S said Mateen had worked for the company since 2007 and had passed a company screening and background check twice, once when he was hired and again in 2013.

"In 2013, we learned that Mateen had been questioned by the FBI but that the inquiries were subsequently closed," the statement read in part. "We were not made aware of any alleged connections between Mateen and terrorist activities, and were unaware of any further FBI investigations."

Meanwhile, it emerged late Sunday that Mateen had sent a Facebook friend request to the owner of another gay club last week, raising the possibility that he may have considered targeting other LGBT nightspots in the area.

Micah Bass, the owner of the M Hotel and the Revere nightclub, told the East Orlando Post that Mateen sent him the friend request late last week.

Bass told The New York Times that he recognized Mateen's picture after he had been identified as the shooter at the Pulse nightclub early Sunday.

"I saw the picture and said ‘That guy tried to friend me," Bass said.

Bass said he deleted Mateen's friend request after noticing that his friends had Arabic writing on their Facebook pages. Bass said that because there are not many Arabic speakers in the gay subculture, he believed the friend request to have been a mistake.

Bass and his business partner had closed Revere Thursday, and planned to only make it available for private events.

"I feel terrible," Bass told the Times. “I’m hoping that my staff didn’t end up at Pulse."

"If we had not closed for restructuring ... We very well could have been the target this weekend," Bass said. He added that he had notified the FBI about Mateen's social media activity and was examining video footage to determine whether the gunman or any possible accomplices visited the club in recent weeks.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited June 2016
    What don't you understand? If the fucking guy is not able to legally purchase a fucking illegally modified machine gun, he doesn't kill nearly as many people. To say the gun problem in this nation isn't part of this problem is narrow minded and quite ignorant.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

wake up to what?
    you have to ask ? islam has waged war against the American people and pretending that only a small part of islam is responsible or radical is a mistake..but you folks believe as you wish and keep blaming these killings on guns and gun laws (bullshit).....only on the train..

Godfather.

This is about as deep as an episode of Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    seems I'm surrounded by.....carry on misguided folks ! and have a nice day, that should be easy when your living in a dream world.

Godfather.
  • Options

seems I'm surrounded by.....carry on misguided folks ! and have a nice day, that should be easy when your living in a dream world.

Godfather.

You should be more careful with whom you surround yourself.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

hedonist said:

Was it the democrat membership that allowed him to murder 50 plus people?

Assault weapon defenders have blood on their hands again today.
    All weapons can technically be described as an assault weapon. It hasn't been reported as of yet what the make and model of the gun was or how it was purchased. Important details to know before we claim who has blood on their hands.
    Maybe it was a knife? Maybe he killed 50 plus people with his bare hands? We don't really know yet do we?
    Not sure if sarcasm, but Occam's razor.

mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

wake up to what?

Godfather.

So GF what percentage of Islam do you think is radical and what should be done with that particular group?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,216
    Saying that banning all muslims is by no means a solution. But there needs to be a more thorough background check on who is wanting to come here? Would you allow any given person off the street to come and babysit your children? Hell no you wouldn't. And by the way,none of this going on today would have happened if the US government wasn't meddling with affairs in the middle east that was none of thier business to begin with. What were rebels we supported yesterday,are now called ISIS today. Or did you forget already? We created a cancer that as of right now has no cure. All we can really do is accept our trivial differences,and love one another as human beings. Love WILL overcome hate.
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

Saying that banning all muslims is by no means a solution. But there needs to be a more thorough background check on who is wanting to come here? Would you allow any given person off the street to come and babysit your children? Hell no you wouldn't. And by the way,none of this going on today would have happened if the US government wasn't meddling with affairs in the middle east that was none of thier business to begin with. What were rebels we supported yesterday,are now called ISIS today. Or did you forget already? We created a cancer that as of right now has no cure. All we can really do is accept our trivial differences,and love one another as human beings. Love WILL overcome hate.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with doing more extensive background checks on people that could be considered higher risk. Of course that would not have stopped what happened yesterday. I know there are checks I'm just not sure the extent and whether it varies by risk factor. Anyone know?