crickets
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    edited June 2017

I will start some speculation........ U2 just announced more US dates for the Joshua Tree tour. Sept thru early Oct.

special guest to be announced later???   could it be PJ as openers?

highly unlikely. :lol:

https://www.pollstar.com/article/u2-hits-north-and-south-america-131958

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    I would see it as unlikely.   I could see a one off, but not a whole leg of a tour.   PJ likes to tour in small doses and they seem to like to maximize revenue and play for as many people as they can with the fewest # of actual shows.    If they're going to spend a month on the road they don't seem like the kind of guys to do it as the opening band.   Besides, they'd just make u2 look bad :)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    Zod said:
    I would see it as unlikely.   I could see a one off, but not a whole leg of a tour.   PJ likes to tour in small doses and they seem to like to maximize revenue and play for as many people as they can with the fewest # of actual shows.    If they're going to spend a month on the road they don't seem like the kind of guys to do it as the opening band.   Besides, they'd just make u2 look bad :)

that they would............

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Still holding out hope for Joe Louis arena....
    I believe in miracles ;)

https://youtu.be/GJuilgWKp1s
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I don't lol
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,062
    I don't think the U2 could happen given EV solo festival appearances in Sept. and anyways PJ wouldn't be an opening act for anyone.  As for JLA in August it continues to be possible but seems less and less likely as they usually announce three months prior.  It's looking a lot like we will have to wait for 2018 at this point.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I probably wouldn't go if they were the opening band. I remember them opening for Petty in 2006 and was bummed each night after their 80 minutes were up. One night I left right after because how do you follow Pearl Jam?
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,250
    leaving a petty show early is just super weird to me
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,484
    lolobugg said:
    Zod said:

that they would............
    After seeing what the JT tour looks like looking bad is not plausible. U2 fan or not they are very good live and the visuals are on another level. Of course I think PJ is a better band but these things are subjective, no?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459

This is a Pearl Jam thread but U2 puts on an amazing show and have so many great songs.  I think U2 would be fine following Pearl Jam.  Let's not kid ourselves.

• tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    Still holding out hope for Joe Louis arena....
    I believe in miracles ;)

https://youtu.be/GJuilgWKp1s
    It's ok to dream a little. I believed in this for so long. Hopefully it happens. 
    leaving a petty show early is just super weird to me
    When you see 4 in a row and it's the same setlist, it doesn't seem weird to me! It didn't then and doesn't looking back either. Zero regrets on that one, and I'm a Petty fan.

That was a while ago, but I'm fairly certain quite a few people left after PJ. Not a lot, but enough to be noticeable. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    I've only ever left one show early.   Jerry Cantrell had a solo bar show the same night AC/DC was playing.   AC/DC's setlists/encores at the time were somewhat short (about two songs).   We skipped the encore to catch most of Cantrell's show (arrived about 5 songs in).     I felt guilty about leaving a concert early.  The horrible looks you get from people... lol.    I made up for it by seeing AC/DC again a few years later.

If I'm so bored of the setlists/band that I would want to leave early (which out the reason of there being another show to go to), then I wouldn't buy the tickets.   I like concerts so much I stop drinking before the show so I don't need any breaks :)   Ducking out early seems like blasphemy to me :)

In regards to U2.  I've seen them 5 times.   3/5 were pretty solid.  2/5 were just ok.   They can be great live, but I'm not sure they make my top 5.  They sometimes lack consistency (even though they play similar sets every night).    The last tour (the one 2 years ago) where the played a big chunk of the show in metal cage.   We couldn't seem them playing (nor could a large part of the audience).   After that one I decided maybe 5's enough, and I'd take a break from the U2 live show for while.
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I left in the middle of a Bob Dylan set...

It was one of the Americanarama shows & we went to see My Morning Jacket & Wilco!!

Stayed until Tangled Up In Blues, but couldn't handle his mumbling anymore!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    I once left a who show early.  the second set was all tommy and I got bored.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,498
    2014 was the first time I was really able to follow PJ on multiple consecutive dates. I was shocked to see people leaving for Yellow Led, Baba, or RITFW. I get that people may have seen those songs many many times, and I'm not judging those people, but I would never leave a PJ show early. There's so much down time now between tours (where I spend countless hours in threads like this hoping/wishing for more shows) that any chance to see even one more song is (to me) so precious. I just don't get the impulse to try and save a few more minutes by "beating the crowd" out of the building. 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
    Not at all trying to speak ill of the dead, but I left Soundgarden early at Northern Invasion this year. Quite a lot of people left early, maybe half? Cornell was just really off that night.

I also fell asleep during Marcy Playground back in '98. :)

And there have been a LOT of shows where I left after the opening band because that's who I went to see and didn't give a crap about the headliner.
  • mwplum said:
    2014 was the first time I was really able to follow PJ on multiple consecutive dates. I was shocked to see people leaving for Yellow Led, Baba, or RITFW. I get that people may have seen those songs many many times, and I'm not judging those people, but I would never leave a PJ show early. There's so much down time now between tours (where I spend countless hours in threads like this hoping/wishing for more shows) that any chance to see even one more song is (to me) so precious. I just don't get the impulse to try and save a few more minutes by "beating the crowd" out of the building. 
    There's only one venue I've been to that I leave early. Xfinity Center in Mansfield. Parking lot is an absolute nightmare there.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    mwplum said:
    I left Fenway 2 during the last song because I needed to get a cab back to the hotel.  Otherwise I've never left early.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

mwplum said:
    I've left a pj show during the last song several times in order to avoid traffic.  
    I've left a few Pearl Jam shows early to save 30-60 minutes in a parking lot or cab line.    From the moment that the first notes to Alive are struck I'm mentally ready to go anyway because I have heard what comes next about 80-100 times now (unfortunate downside to seeing lots of shows). 
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Well At least Mike answered what we already know.   Whats going on with PJ music right now?  Nothing.......
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,889
    mcgruff10 said:
    mwplum said:
    I've left a pj show during the last song several times in order to avoid traffic.  
    Yeah, I don't think you can criticize that.  Especially at the aforementioned venue in Mansfield.  Literally, depending on where you park, you sit in the lot for a minimum 2 hours.  After tailgating for 3-4 hours and rocking out for another 3hrs, that's the last thing you want to do.  We started to pony up for the VIP parking after a few episodes of that.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    i saw 25 new posts on here and was skeptical but hopeful of something

ugh, please rename the thread "u2 and when to leave a show early discussion" ;) 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    mcgruff10 said:
    mwplum said:
    Yeah, I don't think you can criticize that.  Especially at the aforementioned venue in Mansfield.  Literally, depending on where you park, you sit in the lot for a minimum 2 hours.  After tailgating for 3-4 hours and rocking out for another 3hrs, that's the last thing you want to do.  We started to pony up for the VIP parking after a few episodes of that.
    I've left msg a few times in order to catch a train back  home.  Nothing like missing your train by two minutes and then sitting in penn for the next hour.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    edited June 2017

very very interesting:

Meanwhile, it’s understood Pearl Jam is at the top of the queue to play at the NRL grand final on October 1.

The iconic grunge band, which was formed in Seattle 27 years ago, was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by comedian David Letterman.

edited June 2017
    Can't read Australian.

would book this Aussie trip in a heartbeat.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I'd imagine surfing would be good in Australia during the fall season....