Options

Brussels Belgium attacks.

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    BS44325 said:

So...the guy arrested Friday was tied to today's attack

http://www.politico.eu/article/salah-abdeslam-was-part-of-brussels-bomb-plot/

Curious to the type of interrogation techniques that were employed over the weekend?

Now I have my answer...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3508389/Abdeslam-questioned-ONE-HOUR-four-days-attacks-TIRED.html

They barely questioned the guy.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited March 2016
    Shawshank said:

You people wanting to blame this on past are utterly lost. There is no excuse for any of this...none! What the hell did the people of Belgium do? The country hardly has a reputation for being an invading, murderous, empire of any sort. Blaming past events is essentially your ignorance of the fact that Islam has a serious problem with violence, and that has been shown over and over and over and over and over again.

I'm getting tired of seeing this idiotic remark around here. Why do you think we're unable to hold bad people accountable for their actions, while at the same time attempting to reverse engineer the premises that led them to act as they did to ensure that that set of circumstances don't once again arise? Especially when those set of circumstances were avoidable and shouldn't have been accepted in the first place? It is possible to have a guilty party AND an underlying cause.

In a talk I listened to with Glenn Greenwald, he stated that our foreign policy with regards to terror attacks is not unlike a hypothetical scenario where with each car crash, the government gave no half measures nor preventative situations, and unequivocally committed to greater budgets for road signs. Death sucks, but death through interventionism to potentially prevent death through terror attacks when history shows it doesn't work? Now there's something I don't understand.

The reason that the underlying causes are so important to discuss compared to the actions of reprehensible people, is that any reprehensible person with half a brain can avoid being found, which therefore seriously limits the return on investment of finding "the rest of them". Rather, it's more useful to analyze trends catalyzing the creation of these radicalized groups, and stop spoon feeding reasons for joining them through perpetuating unjust inequalities unto other nations, international law be damned: something which few countries (if any) have been better at than the USA.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Tom Cotton was on MSNBC this morning talking about how weak Obama has been toward ISIS and how there are so many restrictions on our military that they can't do their jobs.

Now it comes out that the US killed ISIS 2nd in command yesterday....Commando's stopped his car and attempted to capture him but ended up killing him.

Weak?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited March 2016

Tom Cotton was on MSNBC this morning talking about how weak Obama has been toward ISIS and how there are so many restrictions on our military that they can't do their jobs.

Now it comes out that the US killed ISIS 2nd in command yesterday....Commando's stopped his car and attempted to capture him but ended up killing him.

Weak?

Typical military asshole, my buddy says the same bullshit, when you press him on what restrictions tie their hands, each example is a simple application of Geneva Convention rules of engagement or an exercise of basic human rights and decency.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    edited March 2016

How do people explain the 'terrorist attacks nobody cares about'?

Is the west at the root of the bloodlust in these attacks too?

This is a very good thought provoking question. I'd love to hear opinions on it.
    Post edited by ckravitz on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Weak?

Typical military asshole, my buddy says the same bullshit, when you press him on what restrictions tie their hands, each example is a simple application of Geneva Convention rules of engagement or an exercise of basic human rights and decency.
    I was pissed that the reporter didn't press him on specifics..."what situations are you referring to?" type questions.

I still can't get over how the GOP is somehow making Obama responsible for the attack in a foreign country.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    The Republicans sound more and more ridiculous. They need to come up with solutions that don't involve "carpet bombing" to this issue. They can't just bash Obama. They sound so immature and stupid right now.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Weak?

I was pissed that the reporter didn't press him on specifics..."what situations are you referring to?" type questions.

I still can't get over how the GOP is somehow making Obama responsible for the attack in a foreign country.
    How could they not? They have backed themselves into a tea party nightmare for 7 years and reality hasn't been important to them for decades.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

How could they not? They have backed themselves into a tea party nightmare for 7 years and reality hasn't been important to them for decades.
    This displays a lack of understanding on the "tea party". It is unrelated to foreign policy. Keep up the narrative though if it helps.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Weak?

Nobody is saying that Obama is responsible for the attack in a foreign country but his policies have only resulted in a stronger ISIS and not a weaker one. Plus while Americans were dying in Brussels he was busy doing the wave with Raul. He is not leading, he is not a leader and the world is taking notice.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited March 2016
    benjs said:

Shawshank said:

You people wanting to blame this on past are utterly lost. There is no excuse for any of this...none! What the hell did the people of Belgium do? The country hardly has a reputation for being an invading, murderous, empire of any sort. Blaming past events is essentially your ignorance of the fact that Islam has a serious problem with violence, and that has been shown over and over and over and over and over again.

I'm getting tired of seeing this idiotic remark around here. Why do you think we're unable to hold bad people accountable for their actions, while at the same time attempting to reverse engineer the premises that led them to act as they did to ensure that that set of circumstances don't once again arise? Especially when those set of circumstances were avoidable and shouldn't have been accepted in the first place? It is possible to have a guilty party AND an underlying cause.

In a talk I listened to with Glenn Greenwald, he stated that our foreign policy with regards to terror attacks is not unlike a hypothetical scenario where with each car crash, the government gave no half measures nor preventative situations, and unequivocally committed to greater budgets for road signs. Death sucks, but death through interventionism to potentially prevent death through terror attacks when history shows it doesn't work? Now there's something I don't understand.

The reason that the underlying causes are so important to discuss compared to the actions of reprehensible people, is that any reprehensible person with half a brain can avoid being found, which therefore seriously limits the return on investment of finding "the rest of them". Rather, it's more useful to analyze trends catalyzing the creation of these radicalized groups, and stop spoon feeding reasons for joining them through perpetuating unjust inequalities unto other nations, international law be damned: something which few countries (if any) have been better at than the USA.
    Good Morning Ben,
    I think you are correct that you cannot seek answers without the cause of the events.We must see the underlying causes,so we can determine where and when shit went south.That said,there is a huge difference to understanding the "why" and leaning on it,using it as an excuse.That is where many of us differ.
    I get our involvement in that region helped as a catalyst,but we are becoming further and further from the root cause and the reasons now are strictly Hate and Murder.Maybe the feeling of inclusion by some who feel like outsiders.I mean what do 20 something kids born in Belgium really have to show for atrocities that happened in the first gulf war?? To big of a disconnect.
    Also some of that dosent hold water because the target of some of the terror is the other sect of Islam.Suni/Shite violence has zero to do with the west or Israel(I don't buy the Palestinian cause to this either).

It would be like you or I hating and blowing up Germans,because of what happened during the Holocust.Or blowing up the Spanish because of the inquisition,or the Russians because of their treatment and killing of Jews.
    They cannot explain away or use any of the past as a crutch.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

This displays a lack of understanding on the "tea party". It is unrelated to foreign policy. Keep up the narrative though if it helps.
    I respect your contributions here because you back them up and you don't view the facts of a situation with scorn, two traits that conservatives largely lack on this forum. The conclusions you draw from the facts give me heartburn, but you start with the facts.
    In this case, you stepped out of your expertise in a big way.
    I consume tea party media, here in America, in the form of newsletters and talk radio, and I can tell you for certain they concern themselves very much with foreign policy, particularly radical Islamism.
    It is not my narrative, it is the reality. I doubt very much that you get any real tea party materials in Canada. You cite conservative media often, but that is intellectual conservatism.
    The tea party is the rubes on the ground like Tom Zawistowski.
  • Options

I think that if our governments, (and societies for that matter) aren't going to recognise that their policies and laws of exclusion are in part responsible for the rise of extremism then nothing will change. when our young become so disenfranchised that theyre able to be swayed into extreme ways of thinking and the abhorrent actions that come from that thinking something has to change. our leaders need to step up and lead instead of just continually condemning actions.

While a portion of this is true... it is also incomplete.

This post doesn't speak to the lack of engagement on the part of the 'disenfranchised' to assimilate. The shitheads in question bear some responsibility as well.

Take the Syrian refugees for example: they are likely going to be the happiest, most grateful people towards their countries and countrymen. What happens with the following generation if things don't become easy?

Older families have more money and an easier time. New families starting with nothing must build. Does this inequity create tension and anger in subsequent generations? Does it spark anti-western (establishment) attitudes? Does it germinate extremist sentiments?

I offer the following to try and provide my perspective: my parents are first generation Canadians after their parents left Ukraine to seek a better life. I never knew my grandfather- he died on the Saskatchewan farm working his ass off. They lived in a one bedroom farm house and the kids left home, with nothing in their pockets, for the city and opportunity. Most did okay- my dad worked his ass off and became successful enough to provide a good life for my sister and I who have benefitted greatly.

I've never heard any of my father's family complain about anything. In fact, it was about 15 years ago when we all learned that after my grandfather had died... when things were really tough... social services took the family's youngest child away.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

I respect your contributions here because you back them up and you don't view the facts of a situation with scorn, two traits that conservatives largely lack on this forum. The conclusions you draw from the facts give me heartburn, but you start with the facts.
    I consume tea party media, here in America, in the form of newsletters and talk radio, and I can tell you for certain they concern themselves very much with foreign policy, particularly radical Islamism.
    It is not my narrative, it is the reality. I doubt very much that you get any real tea party materials in Canada. You cite conservative media often, but that is intellectual conservatism.
    Lol

Good morning RG!
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

Nobody is saying that Obama is responsible for the attack in a foreign country but his policies have only resulted in a stronger ISIS and not a weaker one. Plus while Americans were dying in Brussels he was busy doing the wave with Raul. He is not leading, he is not a leader and the world is taking notice.
    You are delusional. The "world" thinks Obama is great and Trump is an asshole. The GOP is the laughingstock of the world right now.

• Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Getting tired of Ted Cruz complaining about the way Obama handles the war on terror.

Looks like during the war on terror Cruz was busy with five women.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

You are delusional. The "world" thinks Obama is great and Trump is an asshole. The GOP is the laughingstock of the world right now.
    The world does not think Obama is great and bringing up Trump and the GOP is a dodge of the issue at hand.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

Yah. Sorry... but it's pretty much exactly this.

Seriously.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

I get all the Tea Party media. The tea party began as a response to the spending of George W Bush and took off after the bailout, stimulus and the lead up to the passing of Obamacare. The movement was largely credited to the speech CNBC analyst Rick Santelli gave on the floor of the stock exchange

http://youtu.be/bEZB4taSEoA

This movement was, is and will always be about spending, debt etc. and has nothing to do with foreign policy other then on issues of trade. "Tea party" have vastly different views on foreign policy...this includes Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio...all tea party generation with very different views.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

I get all the Tea Party media. The tea party began as a response to the spending of George W Bush and took off after the bailout, stimulus and the lead up to the passing of Obamacare. The movement was largely credited to the speech CNBC analyst Rick Santelli gave on the floor of the stock exchange

This movement was, is and will always be about spending, debt etc. and has nothing to do with foreign policy other then on issues of trade. "Tea party" have vastly different views on foreign policy...this includes Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio...all tea party generation with very different views.
    Rick Santelli's speech lol
    That's some mighty strong koolaid!
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

This is a very good thought provoking question. I'd love to hear opinions on it.
    I was kind of hoping to hear an opinion or two on the questions as well (How do people explain the 'terrorist attacks nobody cares about'? Is the west at the root of the bloodlust in these attacks too?).

I think brutal cases such as the most recent ones in Iraq and the Ivory Coast speak to 'other' causal factors than categorically attributing all actions, ultimately, to the US (as dirty as its hands are in the matter).
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

Koolaid? That's the history. Again...lack of understanding.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

Good thing he isnt YOUR president.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

My current prime minister might be the only thing worse then your president when it comes to ISIS.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

Again, I live deep behind tea party lines and I have perspective on this group that your research will never provide.
    Rick Santelli's speech has a lot less to do with the tea party than the Koch brothers' money! That's a fact Jack.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

ckravitz said:

I was kind of hoping to hear an opinion or two on the questions as well (How do people explain the 'terrorist attacks nobody cares about'? Is the west at the root of the bloodlust in these attacks too?).

I think brutal cases such as the most recent ones in Iraq and the Ivory Coast speak to 'other' causal factors than categorically attributing all actions, ultimately, to the US (as dirty as its hands are in the matter).
    100% agree. The list of terrorist activity is endless so it's beyond lazy to go with the old "because Murica" line on all the world's ills.

I didn't think you'd get many responses.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

Again, I live deep behind tea party lines and I have perspective on this group that your research will never provide.
    Rick Santelli's speech has a lot less to do with the tea party than the Koch brothers' money! That's a fact Jack.
    This is incoherent.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

My current prime minister might be the only thing worse then your president when it comes to ISIS.
    Huh?

If you could... could you please elaborate here?
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

This is incoherent.
    Incoherent?
    I don't know what you mean, it makes perfect sense to me, the wording could be better, but it works...
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Weak?

This is incoherent.
    Incoherent?
    I don't know what you mean, it makes perfect sense to me, the wording could be better, but it works...
    Explain this teaparty stuff because