PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I listened to it on AM radio, so I couldn't see their bodily acrions and reactions but the real indicator of this debate is the transcript.

When Trumps bumbling stream of consciousness is written out it looks really, really bad. Clinton speaks in controlled, concise sentences that make perfect sense, Trump speaks in the rhetorical equivalent of a drunken stagger through a field of manure.

Before yesterday I thought trump was the frat guy that just wanted to win, he still has that frat mentality, brags allot, but I believe he is sincere and believes his convictions about making America great (drop the again). He seemed genuinely passionate about the issues.
    I'm not saying he articulated it well or has the right solutions.
    I guess the question is what motivates him to become president? (If not to make America great)
    A giant ego that requires a permanent spotlight.
    That, and he thinks it will help him build his media empire (which it will).
    I would put personal empire building in the Hilliary column.
    How so? Building a media empire isn't the same as just getting rich through speaking engagements and investments. The word "media" is also a pretty important distinction. If you think anyone who is both rich and becomes President has built an empire, well... okay. That's fine. Perhaps there is something to that, although it doesn't seem to me that Hillary has a conscious goal of building some kind of personal empire outside of growing a powerful political career (and btw, I have no illusions about Hillary. I think 95% of politicians are basically power-hungry dickheads who are inclined towards corruption, to one degree or another, and Hillary is no exception). But I thought we were talking about Trump's motivations? I think building a media empire is one of them.
    Okay...what precludes him from building the media empire while trump? what helps him build the media empire by being potus?
    He'd have massive political power and access to all the political corruption that goes on, which is extremely useful and very attractive to those who he needs/wants in his corner to facilitate such endeavors, not to mention the political and media legitimacy with the masses (right now he's just a reality TV personality). Were you thinking that being POTUS doesn't provide people with any business perks?
    I'm thinking the last thing media moguls want is to get involved in politics. Or at least appear to not be involved.
    How many know who the Hearst's are, Redstone, Ergen, Cox?
    Really? The Hearst's did not want to be involved in politics? They used their newspapers completely as organs for their political beliefs. William Hearst is almost personally responsible for weed being illegal in this country, shilling for Dupont and maybe for his own timber holdings.
    Whats their involvement? Personal involvement?
    Yellow Journalism? You don't remember learning that in high school or college? http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/ Just do a ctrl-F on Hearst for his involvement. He was also very instrumental in leading America into the Spanish-American war, trumping up the charge of the sinking of the Maine. http://www.spanamwar.com/Hearst.htm

Newspapers have always been the arms of either political parties, politicians or businessmen. This is why I don't rant and rave about bias in the media. We've never had unbiased media and I have no expectation of it.
    I don't remember much from high school or college.
    ~shocked~
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Rupert Murdoch, hello?

You gave the easy answer but what's RM personal involvement?
    So you think Hearst, Redstone, Ergen, Cox are household names?
    They are in educated households with a certain age demographic. You don't think that RM and more likely now his son doesn't personally dictate the message for his editorial boards and that politicians or their representatives or folks who are considering jumping into the political fray don't meet with RM or his representatives seeking endorsements? Media empires are built for a reason. And it's not because folks like RM have a fondness for the smell of newsprint.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709

Wasn't Hearst very heavily involved in the red scare in Hollywood?

Possible, but I don't recall that. He was born in 1860's, so would have been almost 90 during that post war period.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Good answers good answers
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Let's make it stiff again too, dammit.

(much as I'd like to post Puscifer's Cuntry Boner, I shall not)
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,574
    Just watched a piece on CNN where they interviewed drumpf supporters waiting in line to see him speak in Melbourne, Fl.

They ALL came across as ignorant crackers

:dizzy:
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359

Just watched a piece on CNN where they interviewed drumpf supporters waiting in line to see him speak in Melbourne, Fl.

Saw that. Scary stuff
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    Let this soak in for a minute....

"So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare.

It is a, it is a huge problem.

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable.

The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough.

And maybe it's hardly do-able.

But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society.

We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester and certainly cyber is one of them."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

Melbourne FL the birthplace of JiM Morrison anyway......

So the debate night out of the blue asked one of my coworkers what does he think of Trump? He says, I think of him like toilet paper. I said, how so? He says, he's good for one thing to wipe my ass. I said man that's harsh. He says, yeah, damn right even if it was sand paper. Ouch, I was sorry I asked but it made me laugh later in the night though.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Saw that too. The old woman with the dog who is patiently waiting for the POTUS to release his birth certificate was the best! And then there was the bat shit crazy lady yelling about something.

Trivia Time: Why are they called Florida crackers? Northern FL is cattle country and the old hicks that used to drive the cattle were called 'crackers'. Eventually became a derogatory white term... like whiskey tango.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Saw that too. The old woman with the dog who is patiently waiting for the POTUS to release his birth certificate was the best! And then there was the bat shit crazy lady yelling about something.

Trivia Time: Why are they called Florida crackers? Northern FL is cattle country and the old hicks that used to drive the cattle were called 'crackers'. Eventually became a derogatory white term... like whiskey tango.
    Man, where did you get that question?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

mrussel1 said:

Peace
    One of the few useful things that came out of my ten years living in Tampa.

Kidding, Tampa was actually pretty cool in my 20's. But FL is one fucked up state.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

g under p said:

mrussel1 said:

Peace
    One of the few useful things that came out of my ten years living in Tampa.

Kidding, Tampa was actually pretty cool in my 20's. But FL is one fucked up state.
    Well I'll say this.....this state does have its problems for sure from one end to the other but I really do like living here even though I'm a northerner. You can't beat being three miles from the ocean, later today I'm going for a another bicycle ride just hope I don't get another leg cramp attack.

Peace

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society.

We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester and certainly cyber is one of them."

Don't forget his rambling denial about supporting the Iraq war where he tried to phone a friend:

LESTER HOLT: Mr. Trump, with a lot of these are judgment questions. You had supported the war in Iraq before the invasion. What makes your --

TRUMP: I did not support the war in Iraq.

HOLT: 2002

TRUMP: That is a mainstream media nonsense put out by her because she frankly I think the best person in her campaign is mainstream media.

HOLT: My question --

TRUMP: Would you like to hear? I was against -- wait a minute. I was against the war in Iraq. Just so you put it out.

HOLT: The record shows otherwise.

TRUMP: The record does not show that.

HOLT: Why is your judgment any --

TRUMP: The record shows that I'm right. When I did an interview with Howard Stern, very lightly, first time anyone's asked me that, I said, very lightly, I don't know, maybe, who knows, essentially. I then did an interview with Neil Cavuto, we talked about the economy is more important. I then spoke to Sean Hannity, which everybody refuses to call Sean Hannity. I had numerous conversations with Sean Hannity at Fox [News] and Sean Hannity said, and he called me the other day, and I spoke to him about it. He said, "You were totally against the war." Because he was for the war.

HOLT: Why is your judgment better --

TRUMP: Excuse me. And that was before the war started. Sean Hannity said, very strongly, to me and other people, he's willing to say, but nobody wants to call him. I was against the war. He said, "you used to have fights with me" because Sean was in favor of the war. And I understand that side also. Not very much, because we should have never been there. But nobody calls Sean Hannity. And then they did an article in a major magazine shortly after the war started I think in '04, but they did an article which had me totally against the war in Iraq. And one of your compatriots said, you know, whether it was before or right after, Trump was definite because if you read this article, there's no doubt. But if somebody, and I'll ask the press, if somebody would call up Sean Hannity, this was before the war started, he and I used to have arguments about the war. I said it's a terrible and a stupid thing. It's going to destabilize the Middle East and that's exactly what it's done.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/298213-clinton-supporters-more-likely-to-think-women-minorities

hmmmmm.....
    Nearly 40 percent of Donald Trump's supporters think minorities have too much influence in society, according to a new poll released Wednesday

In contrast, the majority of Hillary Clinton supporters think minorities and women don't have enough influence in American society.
    The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows 58 percent of Clinton supporters think women have too little influence in society, while only 21 percent of Trump supporters say the same.

And 50 percent of Clinton backers say men have too much influence, while 53 percent say the same about whites.

Among Trump supporters, only 20 percent feel men have too much influence and eight percent say whites have too much influence.

The poll also found divisions based on education level.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

Don't forget his rambling denial about supporting the Iraq war where he tried to phone a friend:

LESTER HOLT: Mr. Trump, with a lot of these are judgment questions. You had supported the war in Iraq before the invasion. What makes your --

TRUMP: That is a mainstream media nonsense put out by her because she frankly I think the best person in her campaign is mainstream media.

TRUMP: Would you like to hear? I was against -- wait a minute. I was against the war in Iraq. Just so you put it out.

TRUMP: The record shows that I'm right. When I did an interview with Howard Stern, very lightly, first time anyone's asked me that, I said, very lightly, I don't know, maybe, who knows, essentially. I then did an interview with Neil Cavuto, we talked about the economy is more important. I then spoke to Sean Hannity, which everybody refuses to call Sean Hannity. I had numerous conversations with Sean Hannity at Fox [News] and Sean Hannity said, and he called me the other day, and I spoke to him about it. He said, "You were totally against the war." Because he was for the war.

TRUMP: Excuse me. And that was before the war started. Sean Hannity said, very strongly, to me and other people, he's willing to say, but nobody wants to call him. I was against the war. He said, "you used to have fights with me" because Sean was in favor of the war. And I understand that side also. Not very much, because we should have never been there. But nobody calls Sean Hannity. And then they did an article in a major magazine shortly after the war started I think in '04, but they did an article which had me totally against the war in Iraq. And one of your compatriots said, you know, whether it was before or right after, Trump was definite because if you read this article, there's no doubt. But if somebody, and I'll ask the press, if somebody would call up Sean Hannity, this was before the war started, he and I used to have arguments about the war. I said it's a terrible and a stupid thing. It's going to destabilize the Middle East and that's exactly what it's done.
    This is one of those topics that I find interesting in regards to Trump. Essentially, why does it matter in the least bit if he did or did not support the war? Why is it even a topic of conversation for someone that had no government seat. He was a citizen, with no access to classified material or any information to make an informed decision. If he had voting power or was holding a seat like *caugh* senator or something then it might be somewhat relevant. I'm by no means a Trump "supporter", but in the words of Hillary Clinton, "What difference does it make?"
    Seems like there are plenty of other real issues in the bucket to choose from other than ones that didn't effect anyone what so ever. Hillary's support for the war had way greater impact than Trump's would have at that point in history...and she WAS informed.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

This is one of those topics that I find interesting in regards to Trump. Essentially, why does it matter in the least bit if he did or did not support the war? Why is it even a topic of conversation for someone that had no government seat. He was a citizen, with no access to classified material or any information to make an informed decision. If he had voting power or was holding a seat like *caugh* senator or something then it might be somewhat relevant. I'm by no means a Trump "supporter", but in the words of Hillary Clinton, "What difference does it make?"
    Seems like there are plenty of other real issues in the bucket to choose from other than ones that didn't effect anyone what so ever. Hillary's support for the war had way greater impact than Trump's would have at that point in history...and she WAS informed.
    It would not be relevant if he wasn't using it as an example of his superior judgment. He has been saying that he as excellent judgment because he was against the war from the beginning. Your point would be right if it wasn't one of his talking points.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

It would not be relevant if he wasn't using it as an example of his superior judgment. He has been saying that he as excellent judgment because he was against the war from the beginning. Your point would be right if it wasn't one of his talking points.
    Maybe so, but I would ask him the same question I guess. "Who cares if you supported or did not support the war, you had no power and very little information". It seems like a weird thing to lean on from either side. Much more of a detrimental talking point for someone that held a senate seat at that time.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/09/27/experts-react-trump-talking-absolute-garbage-economy-debate/213378
    Economist Justin Wolfers: “Basically No Serious Economist Believes That The Problem Is That The US Hasn't Struck Tough Trade Deals.” University of Michigan economist and New York Times columnist Justin Wolfers slammed Trump’s claim during the debate that the United States has not done enough to negotiate “tough trade deals.” Wolfers cited a March 2016 survey of 42 academic economists from the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, in which the overwhelming majority disagreed with the claim that workers “have lost jobs in recent years” because presidential administrations “have not been tough enough in trade negotiations”:
    Lots of good examples at the link.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

Maybe so, but I would ask him the same question I guess. "Who cares if you supported or did not support the war, you had no power and very little information". It seems like a weird thing to lean on from either side. Much more of a detrimental talking point for someone that held a senate seat at that time.
    Certainly there is more accountability, but she's not campaigning on it. Either way, ultimately it's the commander in chief and his staff that manipulated the evidence. The vote was also held in October of an election year to maximize political pressure. By contrast, Bush's dad specifically held off on the vote for the 1990 war to ensure it was NOT politicized. Shows you how times and people changed (thanks Karl Rove!).
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,678
    edited September 2016
    CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

Well at least it seems that literally everyone acknowledges that the Iraq War was complete bullshit I guess. TBH, I'm not really sure what point people are finding most important about this. Is it that many years ago Trump said that he supported the Iraq war, and that brings his judgment into question? If so, that's a pretty shitty argument against him if he changed his mind shortly after, which it seems he did. He was hardly the only one who supported the call to war while Bush was lying to everyone about the circumstances surrounding it. Or is the issue simply that he is refusing to admit that at some point he said he supports it, which means he's just a liar, or maybe delusional? Well, that is a valid point for sure... but Trump denies a TON of stuff he's said in the past. Why the focus on that particular lie, which is actually a pretty damn small one in Trump terms? If people want to really call him out on being a liar or in total denial or delusional, I think there are way better examples than this particular one about a comment he made in 2002 about his thoughts on the Iraq war.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

• Options
    The way he decorated his Trump Tower apartment makes him appear somewhat insane, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

If he was smarter and had a manageable ego he would say just that...
    "What difference does it make? I was just a regular citizen who did not have access to the information needed to make such a difficult decision. The burden of that decision lies with the government officials who made it."
    But, no, his ego can't handle the admission of being wrong about anything ever. His campaign, his life, is based on the ridiculous notion that he is right about everything, all the time.

Wow, I reread that and realized Trump isn't capable of making a statement that good. He certainly never has in his campaign.
    What an embarrassment he is to our nation.
    Honestly, shouldn't the ability to create and deliver a proper sentence be a requirement for POTUS??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,574
    PJ_Soul said:

The way he decorated his Trump Tower apartment makes him appear somewhat insane, lol.

Yup

Now imagine what he would do to the White House!! :dizzy:
  • Options
    :lol:

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    PJ_Soul said:

CM189191 said:

I have a son.

He's 10 years old.

He has computers.

Well at least it seems that literally everyone acknowledges that the Iraq War was complete bullshit I guess. TBH, I'm not really sure what point people are finding most important about this. Is it that many years ago Trump said that he supported the Iraq war, and that brings his judgment into question? If so, that's a pretty shitty argument against him if he changed his mind shortly after, which it seems he did. He was hardly the only one who supported the call to war while Bush was lying to everyone about the circumstances surrounding it. Or is the issue simply that he is refusing to admit that at some point he said he supports it, which means he's just a liar, or maybe delusional? Well, that is a valid point for sure... but Trump denies a TON of stuff he's said in the past. Why the focus on that particular lie, which is actually a pretty damn small one in Trump terms? If people want to really call him out on being a liar or in total denial or delusional, I think there are way better examples than this particular one about a comment he made in 2002 about his thoughts on the Iraq war.
    I think the point is to try to guage whether, even in hindsight, would he still say the war needed to happen (since he's always talking about bombing the shit out of everybody). of course he's backpeddling. that's all he knows how to do.

unless he's talking about Rosie O'Donnell.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

I'm okay with stiffing a few lousy subcontractors from time to time, and accenting your bathroom in gold with the proceeds, it's business, works both ways, I get stiffed you get stiffed. Now speaking of stiffing, I'm not okay with turning Lincoln's bedroom into a red light room nor am I okay with stealing white house furniture and wall decor. Who does that?
This discussion has been closed.