Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I listened to it on AM radio, so I couldn't see their bodily acrions and reactions but the real indicator of this debate is the transcript.

When Trumps bumbling stream of consciousness is written out it looks really, really bad. Clinton speaks in controlled, concise sentences that make perfect sense, Trump speaks in the rhetorical equivalent of a drunken stagger through a field of manure.

Before yesterday I thought trump was the frat guy that just wanted to win, he still has that frat mentality, brags allot, but I believe he is sincere and believes his convictions about making America great (drop the again). He seemed genuinely passionate about the issues.
    I'm not saying he articulated it well or has the right solutions.
    I guess the question is what motivates him to become president? (If not to make America great)
    A giant ego that requires a permanent spotlight.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I listened to it on AM radio, so I couldn't see their bodily acrions and reactions but the real indicator of this debate is the transcript.

When Trumps bumbling stream of consciousness is written out it looks really, really bad. Clinton speaks in controlled, concise sentences that make perfect sense, Trump speaks in the rhetorical equivalent of a drunken stagger through a field of manure.

Before yesterday I thought trump was the frat guy that just wanted to win, he still has that frat mentality, brags allot, but I believe he is sincere and believes his convictions about making America great (drop the again). He seemed genuinely passionate about the issues.
    I guess the question is what motivates him to become president? (If not to make America great)
    Ego is the lazy answer, they usually reserve that for someone when there is nothing else to say, that's Nader not Trump.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,729
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

That, and he thinks it will help him build his media empire (which it will).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I would put personal empire building in the Hilliary column.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,097
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

How so? Building a media empire isn't the same as just getting rich through speaking engagements and investments. The word "media" is also a pretty important distinction. If you think anyone who is both rich and becomes President has built an empire, well... okay. That's fine. Perhaps there is something to that, although it doesn't seem to me that Hillary has a conscious goal of building some kind of personal empire outside of growing a powerful political career (and btw, I have no illusions about Hillary. I think 95% of politicians are basically power-hungry dickheads who are inclined towards corruption, to one degree or another, and Hillary is no exception). But I thought we were talking about Trump's motivations? I think building a media empire is one of them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

Ego is the lazy answer, they usually reserve that for someone when there is nothing else to say, that's Nader not Trump.
    Really? Nader?
    The guy who spent his life in public service and saved thousands, if not millions, of lives is a bigger ego than the guy born rich who used his privilege to build a gaudy business network and star on a reality TV show?

You are way out in outer space with that one.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

"THEY"
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

"...nothing else to say.....that's Nader"
  • Options
    I can't make sense of the last 2 posts.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I can't make sense of the last 2 posts.

It's hard to type way out here in the dark without gravity.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

How so? Building a media empire isn't the same as just getting rich through speaking engagements and investments. The word "media" is also a pretty important distinction. If you think anyone who is both rich and becomes President has built an empire, well... okay. That's fine. Perhaps there is something to that, although it doesn't seem to me that Hillary has a conscious goal of building some kind of personal empire outside of growing a powerful political career (and btw, I have no illusions about Hillary. I think 95% of politicians are basically power-hungry dickheads who are inclined towards corruption, to one degree or another, and Hillary is no exception). But I thought we were talking about Trump's motivations? I think building a media empire is one of them.
    Okay...what precludes him from building the media empire while trump? what helps him build the media empire by being potus?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,983
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

Really? Nader?
    The guy who spent his life in public service and saved thousands, if not millions, of lives is a bigger ego than the guy born rich who used his privilege to build a gaudy business network and star on a reality TV show?

You are way out in outer space with that one.
    In fact, Nader was on Democracy Now a few days ago, and couldn't have come across as more genuine or concerned. My favourite was that when he was asked about the difference in Clinton and Trump's policies, it's that Clinton has one, and that Trump simply reacts the way the audience wants him to at the time. There are no cogent, logic-driven positions on topics from Trump - he's nothing more than a parrot designed to offend.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,760
    edited September 2016
    After you have a horrible debate performance, there's only one strategy available to you: GO AFTER MS UNIVERSE, AND FAST. From Fox News this morning...

“That person was a Miss Universe person, and she was the worst we ever had. The worst, the absolute worst. She was impossible, and she was a Miss Universe contestant and ultimately a winner who they had a tremendously difficult time with as Miss Universe,” Trump explained during a Tuesday morning appearance on Fox News’s “Fox and Friends.” “She was the winner, and, you know, she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was a real problem. We had a real problem. Not only that, her attitude, and we had a real problem with her, so Hillary went back into the years and she found this girl. This was many years ago, and found the girl and talked about her like she was Mother Teresa and it wasn't quite that way, but that's okay. Hillary has to do what she has to do.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-miss-universe-alicia-machado-228768#ixzz4LTu14yHq
    Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,983
    mrussel1 said:
    What I love is the sincerity perception. It cracks me up that ultimately Clinton is criticized for not being sincere, and Trump is criticized for being sincere.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Trump's constant use of hyperbole grates on my nerves. Everything is the worst or best, terrible or terrific. He described both NAFTA and the Iran deal as the worst deal ever made.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Question: why doesn't trump say this about Iraq. At the time I was asked if I supported the war, I said yeah I guess, but I was relying on information/lies pushed by the government and media outlets.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

Okay...what precludes him from building the media empire while trump? what helps him build the media empire by being potus?
    He'd have massive political power and access to all the political corruption that goes on, which is extremely useful and very attractive to those who he needs/wants in his corner to facilitate such endeavors, not to mention the political and media legitimacy with the masses (right now he's just a reality TV personality). Were you thinking that being POTUS doesn't provide people with any business perks?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

He'd have massive political power and access to all the political corruption that goes on, which is extremely useful and very attractive to those who he needs/wants in his corner to facilitate such endeavors, not to mention the political and media legitimacy with the masses (right now he's just a reality TV personality). Were you thinking that being POTUS doesn't provide people with any business perks?
    I'm thinking the last thing media moguls want is to get involved in politics. Or at least appear to not be involved.
    How many know who the Hearst's are, Redstone, Ergen, Cox?
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,024
    edited September 2016

So much of what he said just didn't make sense or were outright lies.

right? I love the ads I'm getting today...all caps TRUMP WON , like if you shout it, it becomes true.

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I'm thinking the last thing media moguls want is to get involved in politics. Or at least appear to not be involved.
    Really? The Hearst's did not want to be involved in politics? They used their newspapers completely as organs for their political beliefs. William Hearst is almost personally responsible for weed being illegal in this country, shilling for Dupont and maybe for his own timber holdings.
  • Options
    Rupert Murdoch, hello?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,800
    I found him, the busiest guy on the internets. Makes a daily/weekly chart of Trump's lies:
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

Really? The Hearst's did not want to be involved in politics? They used their newspapers completely as organs for their political beliefs. William Hearst is almost personally responsible for weed being illegal in this country, shilling for Dupont and maybe for his own timber holdings.
    Whats their involvement? Personal involvement?
  • Options

Rupert Murdoch, hello?

You gave the easy answer but what's RM personal involvement?
    So you think Hearst, Redstone, Ergen, Cox are household names?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

Yellow Journalism? You don't remember learning that in high school or college? http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/ Just do a ctrl-F on Hearst for his involvement. He was also very instrumental in leading America into the Spanish-American war, trumping up the charge of the sinking of the Maine. http://www.spanamwar.com/Hearst.htm

Newspapers have always been the arms of either political parties, politicians or businessmen. This is why I don't rant and rave about bias in the media. We've never had unbiased media and I have no expectation of it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

Yellow Journalism? You don't remember learning that in high school or college? http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/ Just do a ctrl-F on Hearst for his involvement. He was also very instrumental in leading America into the Spanish-American war, trumping up the charge of the sinking of the Maine. http://www.spanamwar.com/Hearst.htm

Newspapers have always been the arms of either political parties, politicians or businessmen. This is why I don't rant and rave about bias in the media. We've never had unbiased media and I have no expectation of it.
    I don't remember much from high school or college.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

I don't remember much from high school or college.
    Fair enough. But I didn't make any of that shit up. Newspapers are owned by people. Those people are wealthy and those wealthy people want to advance their interests. They did it through the most effective way available, mass communication. As the brilliant poet David Byrne said... Same as it ever was...
  • Options
    Wasn't Hearst very heavily involved in the red scare in Hollywood?
This discussion has been closed.