Options

Police shooting in North Charleston

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Ha i knew sooner or later some of you would start with . well the guy did do this & that and so it starts the blame starts to shift to the dead guy and one ? i have to ask all of you here when was the last time a video of a cop shooting a white guy surfaced where it's cristal clear that an unarmed man running away from a cop has happened ....

I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for the cop, but I think it underscores the importance of not resisting arrest. There is no excuse in this case for the cop to kill the individual, but the individual is probably alive today if didn't resist arrest or run.
    Really? Given how that officer behaved in the video, I don't think it is at all a sure thing that he would be alive if he didn't run.
    Yeah, I was just going to say this same thing. Maybe the vic ran as he feared for his life? We will likely never know.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    And here we go with the victim blaming again........
  • Options
    dignin said:

There's no victim blaming going on. Come on, man.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Honest question with no intention to be inflammatory - did this officer have a history of racial issues? Is it a given this was borne of Scott's race, or that his killer was an incompetent asshole?
  • Options

dignin said:

To be fair, stating the vic would be alive had it not been for his own actions does imply onus of the result of the incident on the vic, does it not? If not, it is a slippery slope to be sure.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

Honest question with no intention to be inflammatory - did this officer have a history of racial issues? Is it a given this was borne of Scott's race, or that his killer was an incompetent asshole?

Also, did the black officer second on the scene witness anything? Didnt look to me like he was in any special hurry to help the vic either.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    You know what this just sucks specially for the victims fa

dignin said:

Ha i knew sooner or later some of you would start with . well the guy did do this & that and so it starts the blame starts to shift to the dead guy and one ? i have to ask all of you here when was the last time a video of a cop shooting a white guy surfaced where it's cristal clear that an unarmed man running away from a cop has happened ....

I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for the cop, but I think it underscores the importance of not resisting arrest. There is no excuse in this case for the cop to kill the individual, but the individual is probably alive today if didn't resist arrest or run.
    The black community's are completely frightened of the police it's been like that for decades ....their first instincts are to get away from cops ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

hedonist said:

Is there a history with this particular officer? I have no idea. Is there a history of white cops disproportionately shooting unarmed black men? Yes.

There is a pattern here. We have to get beyond the point of looking at this on a case by case basis. It's systematic, cultural.
  • Options

dignin said:

To be fair, stating the vic would be alive had it not been for his own actions does imply onus of the result of the incident on the vic, does it not? If not, it is a slippery slope to be sure.
    Exactly.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

Really? Given how that officer behaved in the video, I don't think it is at all a sure thing that he would be alive if he didn't run.
    I am talking more about what happened from the beginning. I don't know how it got from the initial pullover of the vehicle to the field where the video starts, but I am guessing 99.9% of the time if the person in the car answers the cops questions respectfully and does not resist arrest they will live to see another day. The guy in Ferguson likely would be alive too if he just listened to the police officer instead of going for the gun.

Again, not making excuses but more pointing out the chances of getting hurt via cop logically increase when you run or become aggressive. That is just common sense. I doubt there are many cops that pull people over with the thought of killing them.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

dignin said:

No, if I go out driving at 1am on New Years and get killed by a drunk driver it is not my fault, but it probably would be a good decision to not be on the roads at peak drunk driving time if I don't have to.
  • Options

dignin said:

Saying "Here we go again..." implies quite a bit too.

I haven't seen one comment that hasn't expressed shock for the incident. And if we are being honest, there was a level of non-compliance that contributed to the escalation of the situation. Now there may have been a very good reason for this, but I'm not sure what that might have been.

Of course it doesn't justify what happened, but it did place the victim at the mercy of the cop who obviously wasn't willing to tender any and I thought this is what you had suggested: don't place yourself at risk... do not assume the person dealing with you will deal with you as he should.

Hardly victim blaming in my mind.

To try and draw a comparison... if I go see the Seahawks play in Oakland, I'm not going to wear my Seahawks jersey. Of course I should be able to without incident, but I'm not going to because that might place me in harm's way. Why tempt fate when I can exercise an element of control?
  • Options
    dignin said:

hedonist said:

Is there a history with this particular officer? I have no idea. Is there a history of white cops disproportionately shooting unarmed black men? Yes.

There is a pattern here. We have to get beyond the point of looking at this on a case by case basis. It's systematic, cultural.
    Your comments are contradictory - no knowledge of history, but let's toss it in the mix, regardless?

That's no better than saying anyone who fits X description should be painted as well.

I think it should be looked at individually. I want that for myself and my fellow men and women.

There may be a pattern but automatically tossing some into that tapestry is unfair and sweeping.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243597/video-on-race-responsibility-in-america#latest

This is a systemic problem, White America.

That video has no proof of resisting arrest, of anything other than murder. To imply otherwise, based on no proof at all, is nothing but guessing at straws. But the fact that he's a black man killed by yet ANOTHER cop? SYSTEMIC.

And ya know what? I want it to be looked at systemically for myself and fellow brothers and sisters. Why? Because it has gotten out of hand, the police brutality incidents are multiplying and they're getting worse. And they all involve race. Racism in America is a systemic problem, not an individual problem.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

Your comments are contradictory - no knowledge of history, but let's toss it in the mix, regardless?

That's no better than saying anyone who fits X description should be painted as well.

I think it should be looked at individually. I want that for myself and my fellow men and women.

There may be a pattern but automatically tossing some into that tapestry is unfair and sweeping.
    I think it's a good aspiration, but I don't think it is representative of the broader patterns of human psychology.
    There are a ton of behaviors like racial bias that are easily applied to 99% of the human species.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    CNN reported this am that the other officer to the scene confirmed cpr was administered that in fact they assisted with first aid and cpr - which we know is not seen in the video.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Just heard the dashcam footage will be released sometime soon.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

CNN reported this am that the other officer to the scene confirmed cpr was administered that in fact they assisted with first aid and cpr - which we know is not seen in the video.

The other officer did administer "aid"...if you can call it that.
    There were ABSOLUTELY no chest compressions, making that a total lie.
    They didn't attempt to stop bleeding or treat him for shock, which amounts to simply letting him die, though he may have had little chance of survival anywyas.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    I asked similar questions on a local news facebook account. I was called a racist, that I am lucky to be white in America. I prefaced my comments with I know what the cop did was wrong but why run? Why were they in a field? Someone read the victim was shot with a taser prior to the video being recorded. While video is going to help convict this former officer, it leads to more questions.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

I think it's a good aspiration, but I don't think it is representative of the broader patterns of human psychology.
    There are a ton of behaviors like racial bias that are easily applied to 99% of the human species.
    I don't deny its existence, but question what's involved in this particular situation, this particular cop.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

My comments are in no way contradictory. Both statements are true, the first my knowledge of this mans previous history which I have none and the second is factual backed by evidence.

May be a pattern? If you can't look at the evidence given to you over and over and over again that to me shows an unwillingness to come to a conclusion.....and shows your bias.
  • Options
    dignin said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

My comments are in no way contradictory. Both statements are true, the first my knowledge of this mans previous history which I have none and the second is factual backed by evidence.

May be a pattern? If you can't look at the evidence given to you over and over and over again that to me shows an unwillingness to come to a conclusion.....and shows your bias.
    My bias? Did you read my previous post?

Talk about coming to conclusions...
  • Options
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

I don't deny its existence, but question what's involved in this particular situation, this particular cop.
    I think that's entirely fair, as long as those broader patterns are factored in as a point of information.
  • Options
    dignin said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

There are several people in this thread, including Hedo, who have defended some officers on the MT... and, such as now, condemned other officers based on circumstances.

There are several people in this thread who have always condemned the officer regardless of circumstances.

Who's biased?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

dignin said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

There are several people in this thread, including Hedo, who have defended some officers on the MT... and, such as now, condemned other officers based on circumstances.

There are several people in this thread who have always condemned the officer regardless of circumstances.

Who's biased?
    The same people who believe these are isolated incidents given the evidence to the contrary.

• Options
    I'm starting to wonder how many unarmed black men have to be killed by police officers before some here will think there is a problem. What number?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

My bias? Did you read my previous post?

Talk about coming to conclusions...
    No I did not. Glad to see you are coming around.

• Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

dignin said:

hedonist said:

Who's biased?
    The same people who believe these are isolated incidents given the evidence to the contrary.

All I want to know, right now, is what is known of this incident. Obviously, it's fucking murder. Was it a racial thing? Don't know. Do you, without a doubt?

I don't "believe" anything, I'm asking questions.

The nerve of me!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited April 2015

The running didn't cause him to die. Bullets did.

Was the officers life in danger as the guy was running away. Of course not. Case closed.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG