Options

Police shooting in North Charleston

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848

Are you kidding. Everyone's actions change when they know they're being filmed vs. not being filmed. Hence the 8 shots in the back.

obviously. I know that, but in the heat of the moment? I sincerely doubt he was able to think "ok, now I'm out of video range.....now I can shoot him!". especially in this day and age of everyone having a cell phone, not to mention the potential for witnesses (broad daylight). if he was able to "turn off" his professionalism when he thought he was out of range of his dashcam, do you think he was that stupid as to tune out the potential for being seen?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Are you kidding. Everyone's actions change when they know they're being filmed vs. not being filmed. Hence the 8 shots in the back.

Yes and add that he was probably pissed off after he had to chase the guy down. I think it boils down to allowing his anger to take over completely. Something like 4% of the population are sociopaths.
    I don't think the cop was hoping the victim ran out of view of his dash cam so he can shoot him. There is another witness no one is talking about and has not been heard from. The passenger in the Benz. What did he see?

I noticed that in the dash cam video. there was a passenger in the car. why is no one (meaning media) mentioning this?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

obviously. I know that, but in the heat of the moment? I sincerely doubt he was able to think "ok, now I'm out of video range.....now I can shoot him!". especially in this day and age of everyone having a cell phone, not to mention the potential for witnesses (broad daylight). if he was able to "turn off" his professionalism when he thought he was out of range of his dashcam, do you think he was that stupid as to tune out the potential for being seen?

You sincerely doubt? Who is anyone to speak for this guy, assumption is just that, and no one knows a thing but him. NO ONE KNOWS. But we sure like to speculate we know.
  • Options

You sincerely doubt? Who is anyone to speak for this guy, assumption is just that, and no one knows a thing but him. NO ONE KNOWS. But we sure like to speculate we know.
    yes, I doubt. that's not the same as claiming knowledge.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

But it's still claiming to know what's inside his mind.
  • Options

not in the slightest. it's having an opinion on general human behaviour.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I also doubt that this cop considered the dash cam when he made the decision to shoot him. That is my opinion. He obviously was not thinking about anything rationally. I've talked with hundreds of people that went through the police academy and not one of them ever said they had training on where to shoot people when their backs are turned to you. This guy fucked up and it cost a man his life and his freedom.
  • Options

We sure like to speculate we know what the guy was thinking.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    what was he thinking?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

I'm not speculating that I KNOW anything.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Isn't that the basis of debate? What we think about other....everything. Whether it's thoughts, interpretations, beliefs.

You are right BSL, nobody but him knows 100% what he was thinking. Why does that mean we can't have an opinion about it?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Isn't that the basis of debate? What we think about other....everything. Whether it's thoughts, interpretations, beliefs.

You are right BSL, nobody but him knows 100% what he was thinking. Why does that mean we can't have an opinion about it?

:i_dunno:
  • Options

He went as far as making up a story to go with the shooting but because he was filmed without his knowing he was caught. Which blows away your assumptions.
  • Options

He went as far as making up a story to go with the shooting but because he was filmed without his knowing he was caught. Which blows away your assumptions.
    So you know that the officer's intent was to kill the guy once he was off camera?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

What was false about his original statement? I've read it. The media is chomping at the bit to find discrepencies, but what are they? Someone said that cpr was given when it wasnt? The cop said Scott grabbed his taser? Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that he thought Scott was grabbing it?
  • Options

So you know that the officer's intent was to kill the guy once he was off camera?
    No, I can admit I don't know what he is thinking... But that's what he did, now didn't he.
  • Options

No, I can admit I don't know what he is thinking... But that's what he did, now didn't he.
    Why not come back and blow away the other guy too then. Fuck it he is a witness, you have to take care of him too.

96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

You can have the opinions you want, but assuming we know or doubt about his actions doesn't make anything more factual.
  • Options

watching the dashcam vid, and then the cell phone vid, they seem like two completely different scenarios, situations. the cop in the dash cam vid seemed calm, nice, professional. then in the cell phone one, a completely incompetent fuck. totally bizarre.

Not really bizarre; he knows his dash cam is on, and when he leaves he thinks he's not being filmed.
    this is claiming to know what he was thinking. saying that I have doubt (i.e: not knowing for sure either way), does not.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

What was false about his original statement? I've read it. The media is chomping at the bit to find discrepencies, but what are they? Someone said that cpr was given when it wasnt? The cop said Scott grabbed his taser? Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that he thought Scott was grabbing it?
    his original statement said something about scott being shot during a struggle for the taser, did it not? maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

no, that goes to his state of mind after the shooting ocurred. not during. and I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying I have doubt that ANY human would be able to think in the terms you are suggesting during this incident ("the camera is on, I'd better act properly....the camera is out of range, now I can shoot!").

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

his original statement said something about scott being shot during a struggle for the taser, did it not? maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Yes, the big problem was what the cop left out of the statement. The whole he was running away thing. Ya know, the minor details.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

Yes and add that he was probably pissed off after he had to chase the guy down. I think it boils down to allowing his anger to take over completely. Something like 4% of the population are sociopaths.
    I don't think the cop was hoping the victim ran out of view of his dash cam so he can shoot him. There is another witness no one is talking about and has not been heard from. The passenger in the Benz. What did he see?

I noticed that in the dash cam video. there was a passenger in the car. why is no one (meaning media) mentioning this?

CNN stated the passenger never left the vehicle.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

CNN stated the passenger never left the vehicle.
    Thanks.

He must have been questioned/interviewed by now

96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If I was a cop, I would assume that someone is video taping me if I'm making a public arrest.

Also, shooting someone in the back is the ultimate dick move. Well, besides handcuffing someone after you shoot them in the back ... that is even worse.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

If I was a cop, I would assume that someone is video taping me if I'm making a public arrest.

Also, shooting someone in the back is the ultimate dick move. Well, besides handcuffing someone after you shoot them in the back ... that is even worse.

That is national protocol. You cant assume, even after shooting someone, that he's not armed and won't try and shoot you. As cold as it seems, it has to be done. Had the wounds scott suffered not een life threatening, he would have ridden in the ambulance cuffed.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Jason P said:

That is national protocol. You cant assume, even after shooting someone, that he's not armed and won't try and shoot you. As cold as it seems, it has to be done. Had the wounds scott suffered not een life threatening, he would have ridden in the ambulance cuffed.
    It's protocol but it's a shitty one. The likelihood of that happening is astronomical.
    Whether being away from the dashcam factored into shooting or not, I'm pretty sure it was a factor in retrieving the taser and dropping it at the body (if in fact that is what he does, which it seems pretty cclear)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    CNN

- the passenger has been detained and questioned he is insisting his name not be released
    - there is another witness female but she has inconsistent statements
    - 2 new cop dash cam vids are out
    - apparently one video shows when he gets up to run you can see one of the tazer strings on the vic apparently the other one is wrapped around the officers arm
    - the officer is in isolation at the jail - he's being monitored for his mental health - no confirmations of suicide or threats from other inmates.
    - they talked about how professional he was @ the stop before the vic initial ran - but then how calm and not stressed he looked later when using his gun
    - the officers attorney is not happy that the media has gotten more cooperation than he has with his requests
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

CNN

- the passenger has been detained and questioned he is insisting his name not be released
    - there is another witness female but she has inconsistent statements
    - 2 new cop dash cam vids are out
    - apparently one video shows when he gets up to run you can see one of the tazer strings on the vic apparently the other one is wrapped around the officers arm
    - the officer is in isolation at the jail - he's being monitored for his mental health - no confirmations of suicide or threats from other inmates.
    - they talked about how professional he was @ the stop before the vic initial ran - but then how calm and not stressed he looked later when using his gun
    - the officers attorney is not happy that the media has gotten more cooperation than he has with his requests

With each passing day and the information that comes out, the more I think that manslaughter will be what this cop is on trial for.

The interviews on CNN are making me sick. Let's get as many people that have nothing o do with the case as possible and ask them questions they are not qualified to answer.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    For someone who was acting so irrational he looked pretty cool, calm and collected as he shot 8 times at a man running away from him. Then pretty calm as he walked to the victim and handcuffed him. He looked a little more hurried when he went back to grab an object to then later throw it beside the victim. Then he looked pretty calm as he stood over the victim as he died. I don't think I would have my shit together like that, but I'm not him.