Options

Police shooting in North Charleston

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    dignin said:

Walter Scott shooting: Michael Slager subject of prior excessive force complaint
    Officer accused of Tasering unarmed man in 2013 but police report said he was 'exonerated'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/walter-scott-shooting-michael-slager-subject-of-prior-excessive-force-complaint-1.3026054

More evidence of a systematic problem.

sickening.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

FoxyRedLa said:

A question I would like to see answered is would the cop have pulled this guy over with the busted tail light if he knew the driver was white? That would answer many of the racial questions being asked. Obviously, there's no way that will ever be answered honestly, IMO.

I still haven't learned why they were almost 2 blocks away from the car when the shooting occured. I've heard unconfirmed reports that Scott had a warrant out on him and he took off.

I just in general asked earlier - does the police not run anymore? I guess I wasn't paying attention - apparently this cop did chase the man. I wonder why he didn't just continue to chase him? Wouldn't the man already have been weak and slow anyway if he had been tazered?
    He wasn't running all that fast before he was getting shot. It looks as if he was still hurting/tired from whatever happened before the video started.
    Then the cop could have easily chased him down rather than stand there and shoot him 8 times. Did he even yell "Stop!"? I don't recall. Did he yell, "Stop or I'll shoot!"? Was there even a warning of what was about to come to the man? No, I don't believe so. If anything, that video almost looks fake, it was so hastily executed (pun). It almost doesn't look real, with the guy stumbling off and the cop resorting only to shooting the daylights out of him, then slaps handcuffs on him not caring to see if he was alive or dead.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:

Walter Scott shooting: Michael Slager subject of prior excessive force complaint
    Officer accused of Tasering unarmed man in 2013 but police report said he was 'exonerated'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/walter-scott-shooting-michael-slager-subject-of-prior-excessive-force-complaint-1.3026054

More evidence of a systematic problem.

Yeah, read about this a bit ago - not too surprising given his actions in this case.

• Options
    callen said:

See I still think the two should be mutually exclusive. Running and resisting should not be trigger points to death.

So the guys action of running away took all threat to officer away ironically. So your point is mute in this case. Totally mute.

This was my point throughout the Wisconsin thread. That regardless of resisting or running or even both, it does not equate "shooting to death".
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

FoxyRedLa said:

A question I would like to see answered is would the cop have pulled this guy over with the busted tail light if he knew the driver was white? That would answer many of the racial questions being asked. Obviously, there's no way that will ever be answered honestly, IMO.

I still haven't learned why they were almost 2 blocks away from the car when the shooting occured. I've heard unconfirmed reports that Scott had a warrant out on him and he took off.

I just in general asked earlier - does the police not run anymore? I guess I wasn't paying attention - apparently this cop did chase the man. I wonder why he didn't just continue to chase him? Wouldn't the man already have been weak and slow anyway if he had been tazered?
    He wasn't running all that fast before he was getting shot. It looks as if he was still hurting/tired from whatever happened before the video started.
    Then the cop could have easily chased him down rather than stand there and shoot him 8 times. Did he even yell "Stop!"? I don't recall. Did he yell, "Stop or I'll shoot!"? Was there even a warning of what was about to come to the man? No, I don't believe so. If anything, that video almost looks fake, it was so hastily executed (pun). It almost doesn't look real, with the guy stumbling off and the cop resorting only to shooting the daylights out of him, then slaps handcuffs on him not caring to see if he was alive or dead.
    That's my point. For all we know the cop was to tired to keep chasing him and thought fuck it, I'm just gonna shoot the bastard.
  • Options
    Eerie watching that video clip knowing what the future held in store.

Why the decision to bolt? How can that possibly go well for a guy?

I'm also curious as to how a cop can go from performing very professionally at the stop- especially since Scott had no registration or insurance- to a guy bent on killing someone that truly never resembled a threat of any sort?

I think, given today's climate, it would be most prudent for all people to be very obediant and cooperative when being detained. Sort things out at the station if things begin to get out of control. I'm not saying this to give police absolute power... I'm saying this so one doesn't find themselves in a situation like some others have in recent times after a conflict of some form manifests itself.

You never truly know who you are dealing with and when dealing with cops... they have guns... and they may not have the skill set one typically assumes they should.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Apparently this guy owed somewhere around $18,000 in child support. He had a warrant out and he knew it. So he takes off. Obviously 5 bullets to the back is not warranted.

I think after seeing this dash cam video this incident goes from a racially motivated, police brutality incident to a cop who was doing his job and made the worst decision of his life. That's not defending him. I don't know him,MI don't know if he's a racist. He's going to sit in jail for a long time, but I think his lawyer can shoot for manslaughter instead of first degree murder.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315

Apparently this guy owed somewhere around $18,000 in child support. He had a warrant out and he knew it. So he takes off. Obviously 5 bullets to the back is not warranted.

I think after seeing this dash cam video this incident goes from a racially motivated, police brutality incident to a cop who was doing his job and made the worst decision of his life. That's not defending him. I don't know him,MI don't know if he's a racist. He's going to sit in jail for a long time, but I think his lawyer can shoot for manslaughter instead of first degree murder.

Agreed , him running from the vehicle puts a different spin on things like bootlegger10 stated if he didn't run he most likely would still be alive in jail but alive I'm sorry but he made the wrong choice , not to excuse 5 shots to the back maybe shoot at his buttocks but still why run ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Agreed , him running from the vehicle puts a different spin on things like bootlegger10 stated if he didn't run he most likely would still be alive in jail but alive I'm sorry but he made the wrong choice , not to excuse 5 shots to the back maybe shoot at his buttocks but still why run ....
    But still why shoot?...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    rgambs said:

But still why shoot?...
    I know it's a fucked up situation I'm not sure & I can't or won't attempt to put my self in the cops place they have a difficult job as it stands ...he made the choice to shoot ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambs said:

But still why shoot?...
    Great question. Horrible decision.
  • Options
    I may be hard on cops, but manslaughter might suffice for me.
    The part that hurts my gut is the activity (and inactivity!) that iccurs as the man passes away facedown in the dirt.
  • Options
    even without the cell phone video, the autopsy would have shown he was shot in the back. why shoot? it's sad, the guy was running so slow too, the cop looked to be in decent shape, really think he could have caught up to him in no time. I definitely 100percent believe the guy did not deserve to be shot in the back, or shot at all for that matter. but that being said, the guy owed 18 g's in child support and apparently spent more than one time in jail for not paying his child support, but he just got a used Mercedes. hehehe, not losing a wink of sleep over this guy....sorry.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

The part that hurts my gut is the activity (and inactivity!) that iccurs as the man passes away facedown in the dirt.

Many departments have a policy that the cop that does the shooting is not allowed to perform any aid on the suspect. I've heard what the witness said, and it appeared that the next cop on scene was identifying the injuries. If he was dead by that point, there is no need for cpr. Plus, nobody is legally required to begin cpr even if you are certified. Once you start, by law you are required to continue to do it until either you can't physically do it anymore, or someone with higher training than you relieves you or tells you to stop.

I understand what you are saying gambs and I doubt I saying anything you don't know already. I'm not faulting the other officers for not performing cpr. The overwhelming odds are that cpr would not have saved this man with the bullets in his back. I know it sucks to hear. I've seen and done cpr many times for traumatic arrests and have only seen it work once. The guy stayed alive for 8 more minutes and crashed again and died.

• Options
    rgambs said:

The first responder after the shooting did right.
    Because there was no media crew it was quite likely that the ambulance that carried him away had the siren off.
    If cameras were there the ambulance would have sirens blazing for show.
    A silent ambulant ride is not desirable
  • Options

even without the cell phone video, the autopsy would have shown he was shot in the back. why shoot? it's sad, the guy was running so slow too, the cop looked to be in decent shape, really think he could have caught up to him in no time. I definitely 100percent believe the guy did not deserve to be shot in the back, or shot at all for that matter. but that being said, the guy owed 18 g's in child support and apparently spent more than one time in jail for not paying his child support, but he just got a used Mercedes. hehehe, not losing a wink of sleep over this guy....sorry.

That seems pretty shitty.

rgambs said:

Many departments have a policy that the cop that does the shooting is not allowed to perform any aid on the suspect. I've heard what the witness said, and it appeared that the next cop on scene was identifying the injuries. If he was dead by that point, there is no need for cpr. Plus, nobody is legally required to begin cpr even if you are certified. Once you start, by law you are required to continue to do it until either you can't physically do it anymore, or someone with higher training than you relieves you or tells you to stop.

I understand what you are saying gambs and I doubt I saying anything you don't know already. I'm not faulting the other officers for not performing cpr. The overwhelming odds are that cpr would not have saved this man with the bullets in his back. I know it sucks to hear. I've seen and done cpr many times for traumatic arrests and have only seen it work once. The guy stayed alive for 8 more minutes and crashed again and died.

Yeah I understand the complicated nature of giving aid, but it still hurts to see. I just feel like compassion would trump protocol, and you would try to do what you could.
    I saw compressions save a man for real once, but it was in the operating room so that's a whole other dealio.
  • Options
    Was he announced dead on the scene or dead at the hospital?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

FoxyRedLa said:

Or could of called for back up or gotten him later on. They had his car and likely easily figured out who he was. Yes sets president that running may work but is it worth it?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

I'm also curious as to how a cop can go from performing very professionally at the stop- especially since Scott had no registration or insurance- to a guy bent on killing someone that truly never resembled a threat of any sort?

I think, given today's climate, it would be most prudent for all people to be very obediant and cooperative when being detained. Sort things out at the station if things begin to get out of control. I'm not saying this to give police absolute power... I'm saying this so one doesn't find themselves in a situation like some others have in recent times after a conflict of some form manifests itself.

You never truly know who you are dealing with and when dealing with cops... they have guns... and they may not have the skill set one typically assumes they should.
    Thought about this and think fleeing is a natural instinct of man.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

That's sad position.
  • Options

that's harsh to put it lightly.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    callen said:

We have many instincts that the slightest dose of common sense and awareness override. 'Fight or flight' is not an excuse for behaving like an idiot when detained. If it is... well a cop's job is impossible.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    callen said:

had it been an instinctual reaction, I believe it would have happened much earlier than it did. It looked to me like he made the decision to run well before he did.....he waited for the exact moment for the cop to be in the car, possibly looking down at his monitor.

watching the dashcam vid, and then the cell phone vid, they seem like two completely different scenarios, situations. the cop in the dash cam vid seemed calm, nice, professional. then in the cell phone one, a completely incompetent fuck. totally bizarre.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

watching the dashcam vid, and then the cell phone vid, they seem like two completely different scenarios, situations. the cop in the dash cam vid seemed calm, nice, professional. then in the cell phone one, a completely incompetent fuck. totally bizarre.

Not really bizarre; he knows his dash cam is on, and when he leaves he thinks he's not being filmed.
  • Options

Not really bizarre; he knows his dash cam is on, and when he leaves he thinks he's not being filmed.
    I find it hard to believe that his actions were that deliberate.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Are you kidding. Everyone's actions change when they know they're being filmed vs. not being filmed. Hence the 8 shots in the back.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Are you kidding. Everyone's actions change when they know they're being filmed vs. not being filmed. Hence the 8 shots in the back.

Yes and add that he was probably pissed off after he had to chase the guy down. I think it boils down to allowing his anger to take over completely. Something like 4% of the population are sociopaths.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348

Yes and add that he was probably pissed off after he had to chase the guy down. I think it boils down to allowing his anger to take over completely. Something like 4% of the population are sociopaths.
    I don't think the cop was hoping the victim ran out of view of his dash cam so he can shoot him. There is another witness no one is talking about and has not been heard from. The passenger in the Benz. What did he see?

96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I don't think the cop was hoping the victim ran out of view of his dash cam so he can shoot him. There is another witness no one is talking about and has not been heard from. The passenger in the Benz. What did he see?

Maybe I misunderstood. I'm not saying the cop hoped for that either. I'm just agreeing that the officer knew he was no longer on the dash cam and there's a good chance it played into his poor decision to open fire unjustly.