Options

Video on race responsibility in America

This was posted on FB today, don't get jaded by the first few minutes, it's totally not what you'd expect. Give it a chance, he's very well-spoken. Please, no jabs, and listen to what he's saying. Maybe this can be just an informative thread.

A call for white folks to take responsibility racially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJt0JXX05M

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps this video is misplaced and belongs in the police abuse threads...
  • Options

This was posted on FB today, don't get jaded by the first few minutes, it's totally not what you'd expect. Give it a chance, he's very well-spoken. Please, no jabs, and listen to what he's saying. Maybe this can be just an informative thread.

A call for white folks to take responsibility racially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJt0JXX05M

All credibility of this guy was lost at 4:49 of the video as soon as god was brought into his ramblings.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    While watching this, I was thinking about this great essay Edward Abbey wrote called "In Defense of the Redneck".

Uncle Ed would have liked this guy. I like this guy. Good show, redneck dude.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hey Brian, I have no idea if Chadwick's avatar is really a pic of him (yet really has nothing to do with looks or the fact he's a redneck, that's besides the point) but knowing him from his posts, this guy sort of reminds me of him. In very much a good way.

He doesn't come around here anymore. I wonder why. :frowning:
  • Options
    Chadwick had major knee surgery which he posted about on AET. I think he's having a rough go of getting back on his feet, dealing with pain, etc. He's a bit of a red neck I suppose and yes, one heck of a good guy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Is the onus to change entirely on white people or do other races have to change as well?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    How about watching the video there. The answer is there.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    uh
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    chadwick said:

uh

Hope you're doing okay Chadwick!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Chads not a redneck,he's a country boy.Big difference.

Rednecks are not Alice in Chains junkies.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

uh

Hope you're doing okay Chadwick!
    thanks. im doing better than i was.
    rr165892 said:

Chads not a redneck,he's a country boy.Big difference.

Rednecks are not Alice in Chains junkies.

yeah im not much of a redneck

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I never meant to imply you were Chad. Just that you can see past the exterior in some of your posts, kinda like this guy. And, is (was) that an actual pic of you in your old avatar?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    yes my old avatar is me. for shits & giggles i went & found it. i want my next upcoming avatar to be a picture that was taken of my knees after surgery. 34 staples each knee. good shit

& i agree a redneck & a country boy are not at all the same

i also have a image taken (you know the test (i forget the name) women have of their stomachs/babies when pregnant) of my testicles. maybe could avatar that as well

ULTRASOUND
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

Is the onus to change entirely on white people or do other races have to change as well?

Good question.
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

Good question.
    Again, did you watch the video? Because in the video it is clear who the onus is on.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    chadwick said:

yes my old avatar is me. for shits & giggles i went & found it. i want my next upcoming avatar to be a picture that was taken of my knees after surgery. 34 staples each knee. good shit

& i agree a redneck & a country boy are not at all the same

i also have a image taken (you know the test (i forget the name) women have of their stomachs/babies when pregnant) of my testicles. maybe could avatar that as well

ULTRASOUND

I miss putting those staples in, that was up there with my favorite OR duties.
    Hope you are healing well!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348

i_lov_it said:

Good question.
    Again, did you watch the video? Because in the video it is clear who the onus is on.
    I am asking what you think not what the author of the video thinks.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    But there is no discussion about the video, let's discuss that first and then I'll put my two cents in. What do you take away from the video? Did anyone watch the video?? (besides pjfan)
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Chad,a ultra sound of your testicles sounds just delightful.3D I hope.Lol
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Takes courage to come to terms. Love this guy.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Thanks for checking it out, Callen. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thought about this bit more and upon reflection if I would of seen this guy on the street and heard him talk would of stereotyped him. Preconceived and UNFAIR.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I know! That's why I posted it, not only for the message but for how we see each other and classify each other, without a second thought. It's too bad that this video and thread doesn't get more replies...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Makes people uncomfortable. There are so many, I feel, instinctual and learned behaviors that support our want to separate and divide.

Why it's so great for people with differences to meet face to face and share a meal. Why the Cuba embargo was wrong path and why negotiations with Iran is great. The more humans from both sides meeting and working together the better. AND why the profiteers of division don't want it.

Ahhhhhh. Humans.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015
    callen said:

Makes people uncomfortable. There are so many, I feel, instinctual and learned behaviors that support our want to separate and divide.

Why it's so great for people with differences to meet face to face and share a meal. Why the Cuba embargo was wrong path and why negotiations with Iran is great. The more humans from both sides meeting and working together the better. AND why the profiteers of division don't want it.

Ahhhhhh. Humans.

I know it makes people uncomfortable, it's an interesting thing about behavior, is that when we get uncomfortable with something, we avoid it. Rather than talk about the real issue in that video, because of who is speaking possibly, or even just the message itself, it doesn't get a chance here. I think the silence says more about the topic, race responsibility in America, more than anything… But honestly, I don't understand the fear around it. The more we talk - and connect - the less fearful anything is. So why is there no conversation? As long as we don't talk, the longer we stay divided.

As for your second paragraph, right on. We're all connected, but it's voodoo sometimes to say so.

Thanks for replying btw.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    It says a lot about AMT if no one can talk about the racial issues in this country like this man did in the video.
  • Options
    Bump because we have a problem with race in the U.S.
  • Options
    http://www.takepart.com/video/2015/04/24/grad-students-speak-out-walking-line-blackness?cmpid=tpdaily-eml-2015-04-24

What It’s Really Like for Black Students Who Face Police Bullying
    A student-made video explores the diversity, pain, and hope of the black American experience.
  • Options
    Spoke to black coworker and she's scared due to having a teenage son going to college and he and friends being in car driving through central tx. The local cops in small towns, white republican Obama haters. Got to suck.
  • Options
    Here is an excellent outspoken article a friend sent me on the silence by and lack of responsibility many whites refuse to take in acknowledging the ongoing suppression of minorities (in this case, blacks) in America. I've seen some progress this way in my life and at one time thought we had made some great strides in ending white supremacy but recent events (Charleston, obviously) indicate to me that we are far from where we could and aught to be. It fairly blows my mind that we haven't made better progress by now.

http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2015/06/white-fragility-silence-and-supremacy-why-all-of-your-hands-are-bloody/