Options

BIlly Corgan talks shit on PJ on Howard Stern show..

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2015
    As a fan i wish Corgan would've disappeared for 15 years after the real Pumpkins broke up. They could've made up, got back together in 2015 and be playing large festivals on the nostalgia wave. He'd have the audience today that he's so bitter about not having. Instead it's been 15 years of embarrassment. He's even lost the rock audience. Its just leftover grunge fans who debate this stuff now.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    cp3iverson wrote: »
    As a fan i wish Corgan would've disappeared for 15 years after the real Pumpkins broke up. They could've made up, got back together in 2015 and be playing large festivals on the nostalgia wave. He'd have the audience today that he's so bitter about not having. Instead it's been 15 years of embarrassment. He's even lost the rock audience. Its just leftover grunge fans who debate this stuff now.

• Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Why's this thread still alive?
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

The pumpkins were never "grunge". They were alternative rock. They got lumped into that with every other heavy non-metal band of those years.

his band situation is no different than that of queens of the stone age or nine inch nails. Both those bands are controlled by one guy, with an ever-revolving door of musicians. He wrote and even recorded everything. Iha and darcy were nothing but touring musicians masked as a band. Iha wrote one song of their entire catalogue. Darcy barely wrote a note.

what is embarassing about it? The music? Or his personality? If its the latter, id be inclined to agree. But he has loads of fans, judging by the 15,000 seat arenas he filled on the oceania tour. And he even had those crowds when they knew going in that they were playing the new album front to back. How many current bands can garner that kind of interest with their current material? Not many. If pj announced they were going to play backspacer front to back plus some hits, i dont think the reception would have been very warm.

As much of an insecure dick that he seems to be, I gotta give the guy props for believing in his music and taking some risks.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    paulonious wrote: »

The pumpkins were never "grunge". They were alternative rock. They got lumped into that with every other heavy non-metal band of those years.

his band situation is no different than that of queens of the stone age or nine inch nails. Both those bands are controlled by one guy, with an ever-revolving door of musicians. He wrote and even recorded everything. Iha and darcy were nothing but touring musicians masked as a band. Iha wrote one song of their entire catalogue. Darcy barely wrote a note.

what is embarassing about it? The music? Or his personality? If its the latter, id be inclined to agree. But he has loads of fans, judging by the 15,000 seat arenas he filled on the oceania tour. And he even had those crowds when they knew going in that they were playing the new album front to back. How many current bands can garner that kind of interest with their current material? Not many. If pj announced they were going to play backspacer front to back plus some hits, i dont think the reception would have been very warm.

As much of an insecure dick that he seems to be, I gotta give the guy props for believing in his music and taking some risks.

Just because a guy feels his music is better than others certainly doesn't mean he's right. I agree with Hugh. It would have been nice for SP to pack it in in 2000. Who knows, they could be opening for pearl jam by now!
  • Options

If pj announced they were going to play backspacer front to back plus some hits, i dont think the reception would have been very warm.

Totally disagree. In fact, this whole Backspacer hate (not singling you out paulonious) has to stop.
    Sure it has some songs that some like and others don't. It is no different than any other PJ album.
  • Options
    I like backspacer, actually. I still listen to it occasionally. I was just referencing the fact that it is probably the least liked PJ album of all of them, or at least that's my perception. the reception to it on here was pretty luke warm at best.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Good thing Billy didn't recognize who the zombies on my shirt were when I met him...
    Corgan.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Am I the only one here that likes the fact that Billy is very opinionated and comfortable speaking his mind even if I don't agree with it? And maybe he doesn't do it for attention but because he doesn't give a fuck. And maybe it's really lame and immature to pass judgements on him for making statements on pop culture and rock music and musicians he knows personally that you happen to worship?
    Get over here!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Am I the only one here that likes the fact that Billy is very opinionated and comfortable speaking his mind even if I don't agree with it? And maybe he doesn't do it for attention but because he doesn't give a fuck. And maybe it's really lame and immature to pass judgements on him for making statements on pop culture and rock music and musicians he knows personally that you happen to worship?

No you're not. He's got every right to speak his mind and good for him. But we've also got every right to disagree with what he's saying. It's not lame at all. It's the basis for debate.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    One small comment and Billy Corgan's name is still relevant...lol. Can't say Billy wasn't genius for making this comment whether he believes it or not...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    For me it's about the music. Period. I don't really care about musicians personalities, what they look like, who they're fkn.

There are very few artists that can get me to that music nirvana and with all the corporate manufactured crap they call music, nice to find something that I want to crank up.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Poncier wrote: »
    Good thing Billy didn't recognize who the zombies on my shirt were when I met him...
    Corgan.jpg

Now THAT'S funny.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options

I respect people who speak their minds. But I don't respect people who trash talk others. And it has zero to do with who he speaks of. Case in point: Matthew Good started a heated rivalry with Nickelback when they first burst on the scene, calling them all sorts of names in interviews on Much Music. Did I agree with him? Absolutely. Did I still think he was a dick for publicly trash talking another band? Absolutely.

Most respectable folks, when asked in a public forum, will just say "no comment" or something like that. I hate the band Extreme. But I also though it was tasteless when Nirvana slammed them repeatedly in an interview. They could have easily gotten their point across without naming them. I liken doing that to acting like a keyboard warrior. People might know who you are, but you aren't saying it to the person's face. it's cowardly.

I also find it strange that he is insulting grunge bands and then turns around saying he loved Motley Crue. Really? You respect a band who sang about nothing but banging sluts and snorting lines?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296
    I didn't get the impression he was "trash talking" much at all. He was asked a question and he gave an honest answer (while also saying he thought PJ was a great band). That's refreshing.

Think of how boring the world would be if all people would say is "no comment" when asked specific questions...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't get the impression he was "trash talking" much at all. He was asked a question and he gave an honest answer (while also saying he thought PJ was a great band). That's refreshing.

Think of how boring the world would be if all people would say is "no comment" when asked specific questions...

but he has repeatedly also gone after every other band he sees as his "competition", like Soundgarden for instance. who have largely ignored his rhetoric. which I respect more than BC giving his opinion. the only reason BC is asked those kinds of quesitons is because people know he loves to beat others down to push himself up.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296

but he has repeatedly also gone after every other band he sees as his "competition", like Soundgarden for instance. who have largely ignored his rhetoric. which I respect more than BC giving his opinion. the only reason BC is asked those kinds of quesitons is because people know he loves to beat others down to push himself up.

I just don't see it as "beating others down." I just think he's honest, maybe to a fault and isn't afraid to voice his opinions. And "going after other bands?" I don't know. Interviewers just know he speaks his mind so they ask him these questions and he just answers them.

The guy's always entertaining. Gotta give him that!
    chinese-happy.jpg