Options

BIlly Corgan talks shit on PJ on Howard Stern show..

RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
edited December 2014 in The Porch
Billy apparently thinks he's some combination of John Lennon and Jesus...

When asked about great contemporaries Robin suggested PJ
Billy "NO, not even close"
Howard "Why, would you say they're derivative?"
Billy "Absolutely, the work speaks for itself... I don't think they have the songs"
Howard "How have they lasted so long if they don't have the songs?"
Billy "That's a mystery to me, I don't get it."

When asked about Ed
Billy "We were friends at one point... A lot of people are transformed by fame. I knew one person, now there's another person"

he also went on to talk shit on Dave Grohl and the FF's
Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    He thinks he's wrestler. He sounds bitter on Howard right now.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Not sure if he is unbalanced, delusional or just craving attention.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    elenelen Milan, Italy Posts: 188
    Some days ago it was this

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-interview-hanging-on-in-this-dirty-pop-business-9905267.html?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

in particular here's what he said:

Life was very different in the early Nineties, the last gasp to date of American rock as a generationally binding, transformative force. Corgan, whose on-off (now very off) relationship with Courtney Love preceded Kurt Cobain’s, was there for all grunge’s grubby glory years, which Cobain’s 1994 suicide ended. Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder once told me he felt survivor’s guilt afterwards.

“That would be Eddie Vedder,” Corgan snorts. “Somehow he makes it about him even when it’s about somebody else! I had a much more personal perspective, because I’d been in contact with Courtney through a lot of the setting up of that period, and afterwards. I found it devastating because, whether we wanted to admit it or not, he was quarterback of the football team, leading the aesthetic and integrity charge. He knew how to navigate those things.
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • Options
    Yeah, He was great last time on the show, this one I wasn't crazy about.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    He's so full of himself its crazy to listen to, does he really not hear what hes saying?
    I have to say, the band does sound good on the show.. Fame was a cool cover, and the new song wasn't bad.
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

• Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I am pissed! I know that's ridiculous. The Stern show reaches millions of people ... and I hate that the "dummies" now think Pearl Jam is derivative. I love the show ... and Howard, but he has an agenda when it comes to Eddie/PJ because he/they have rejected any interest on being guests. Sadly, Billy (who is very talented) has become more wrestler than musician.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I don't think Howard has an agenda, he was just setting Billy up to say something that might get some press.

• Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    RS151862 said:

I don't think Howard has an agenda, he was just setting Billy up to say something that might get some press.

I respectfully disagree. He's always prodding them when he gets a chance. He tried bating Uncle Neil into an Eddie discussion ... but Neil glossed over the comment. He has a "hard on" for Eddie IMO. Can't understand the non-interest.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    I always thought Howard was a fan of Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,121
    Cue Ball/Powder doesnt get the whole speak softly and carry a big stick...this isnt the NFL u idiot its music and who the fuck are you the gatekeeper of whats good and what sucks...maybe Jessica Simpson is more on the level to Billy douchboy

and im not just calling him names cause he said shit about my favorite band...the guy is such a fool on every god damn subject you throw at him

constant revolving door in his band.....yea Fame was cool cover a lil while ago until someone opened their mouth and began singing...terrible
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Do you really think that people give a damn about what the fuck Billy Corgan says? Pumpkins were great in the 90's. That's it. Hope the new album gets back to some roots. Otherwise it's going to be melow crap music or scream shit.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Yeah this guy is so irrelevant it's pathetic to have to talk about someone else instead of your own accomplishments ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I have never heard of this guy but he sounds like a tragic figure.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    Clearly he has some butthurt over PJ maintaining their popularity over the years while the SP have floundered for the past decade and a half and now just play mid to large theaters. Also he is definitely mad over Ed writing the Cubs song and not him. He's just a bitter dude. but hes kinda always been. It was better when he was young and bitter, now hes old and bitter.

That being said, I do think its a fair assessment that PJ can be derivative. Its not like they have really pushed themselves or their sound in the past decade.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited December 2014
    I don't care what Billy Corgan thinks about anything, and neither should you. If people are going to form their opinion of anything based on an interview someone did on Howard Stern, we have bigger problems with humanity than a bunch of people being misinformed about Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited December 2014
    Howard's not the problem, he asks questions that will get the guests talking; that's just a good interviewer. He asked Cornell about Eddie too, obviously Chris had good things to say. Billy Corgan is honestly a mad man, thinking everytjing he does is genius and important. Check out his poetry book for evidence. His lyrics were/are awful to begin with, no need for an entire book of that silliness.
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    PP193448 said:

Do you really think that people give a damn about what the fuck Billy Corgan says? Pumpkins were great in the 90's. That's it. Hope the new album gets back to some roots. Otherwise it's going to be melow crap music or scream shit.

Its 30 minutes long and safe. Not worth the 30 minutes it takes to get through.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Who cares what Corgan thinks about Vedder? Equally, who cares what Vedder thinks about Corgan?

So Corgan is trashtalking, it's not like Ed hasn't trashtalked artists before!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    This is nothing new. Corgan has publicly stated this for years. To stir the pot a little too, Cobain was openly critical of PJ and Vedder too.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,185
    edited December 2014
    you guys crack me up.
    Corgan has always been this way.....
    just fishing for attention and reactions....
    I do love his music however.
    and I have always found him to be very accessible and nice to the fans.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    yeah the "not even close" thing is pretty stupid. I like a few pumpkins tunes (zero, cherub rock) but to say their catalog is better than PJ is insane.

Remember the "Tonight Tonight" video? abysmal
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,409

I always thought Howard was a fan of Pearl Jam.

He's actually a big fan and praises them a lot. He listens to them a lot as well. He's not always up to date with all their recent music, but anytime he hears them he also praises them.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 579
    RS151862 said:

Billy apparently thinks he's some combination of John Lennon and Jesus...

When asked about great contemporaries Robin suggested PJ
    Billy "NO, not even close"
    Howard "Why, would you say they're derivative?"
    Billy "Absolutely, the work speaks for itself... I don't think they have the songs"
    Howard "How have they lasted so long if they don't have the songs?"
    Billy "That's a mystery to me, I don't get it."

When asked about Ed
    Billy "We were friends at one point... A lot of people are transformed by fame. I knew one person, now there's another person"

he also went on to talk shit on Dave Grohl and the FF's

I must have just missed the Pearl Jam conversation, but right when I tuned in, Howard and Corgan were talking about Eddie. To be fair with the Eddie segment, he said Eddie was on Time magazine and that Eddie got to a much higher level of fame than himself, so maybe that does something to a person. Yes, still dickish... but what do we expect from this guy?

I'm sure his PJ views would have pissed me off... but to play devil's advocate, even PJ has said that they try to write really simple songs these days, especially with the last two albums, because they are easier to perform live. His Foo Fighters slams had to do with that band not evolving or changing their sound. I don't see how anybody could say that's the case with PJ, but from the limited Foo Fighters I've heard I can see where people think they're a one-style pony. During the time I was listening to Stern this morning, seems like Cobain was the only guy Corgan gave any props to.

Overall, from the little bit I heard on Howard today, Corgan does seem like a douche who thinks he deserves more street cred because he was banging Courtney Love prior to Cobain coming along... weird.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2014

Howard's not the problem, he asks questions that will get the guests talking; that's just a good interviewer. He asked Cornell about Eddie too, obviously Chris had good things to say. Billy Corgan is honestly a mad man, thinking everytjing he does is genius and important. Check out his poetry book for evidence. His lyrics were/are awful to begin with, no need for an entire book of that silliness.

^^^This.

Howard doesn't always ask the "Eddie Questions." They come up naturally. I highly doubt he's got a "thing out" for him.
    Post edited by JV130312 on
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    I can do without Howard, always thought he was an ass. Billy as someone who really dug your music in the 90's I have to say you are now irrelevant.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Billy is such a bitter douchebag.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878

This is nothing new. Corgan has publicly stated this for years. To stir the pot a little too, Cobain was openly critical of PJ and Vedder too.

Its funny because I really do believe that had Cobain not committed suicide today he would have a career similar to Corgan's. The music wouldn't be remembered as being legendary - some of it would still be considered good, but it wouldn't have the iconic stature it does today. Gotta believe Dave would have left for bigger things. Cobain would have been left with a band similar in stature to the Smashing Pumpkins. Every time Corgan opens his mouth with one of these controversial/publicity seeking statements I think of Cobain.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    totallr disagree....but the guy is entitled to his opinion
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,354
    Poor guy, it has had to be tough playing second fiddle to EV and PJ all these years, even in his own hometown. This is such a pathetic ploy to get into the news so people can know that he has a new album. Pure desperation. Dude's a rubber.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    It looks as though Corgan has pretty much managed to break up every relationship he's had with everyone at some point. He's so much about himself, and delusional enough to believe he's so far above everyone else. Usually those who criticize others, or those who are only able to focus on other peoples flaws, are usually those who are most unhappy within themselves. Misery looking for a companion..

But, I guess if I were Corgan and I had to rename my solo album after my old band, just to get exposure, just to watch it flop... I'd be somewhat angry at the world too..