Options

Michael Brown Shooting

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

The question is whether Brown was killed illegally by the officer. Whether or not he robbed the store is irrelevant. Stealing cigars is not punishable by death.

No, stealing isn't punishable by death. But the robbery is relevant. Even if the cop doesn't know he robbed the store, Brown doesn't know that. The fact that he robbed a store and minutes later there's a cop around had to have an impact on Brown's decision making process.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    CNN reporting another man shot 23 yr old brandishing knife refused to put it down ...I'm not sure what people expect the cops to do if your not going to comply and walk around with weapons ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Ruh Roh
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

CNN reporting another man shot 23 yr old brandishing knife refused to put it down ...I'm not sure what people expect the cops to do if your not going to comply and walk around with weapons ..

That has nothing to do with this topic.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    brown robbed the store & is clutching those cigars. he & his little partner decide to calmly take a stroll down the fucking street, not the sidewalk. let's just be obvious, defiant & show everyone we are runnin the show around here. when asked to take the walk to the sidewalk by a policeman we will be as we are... runnin the show around here

good ideas these folks had

strong arming a shopkeeper & walking down the damn street. asking for trouble anyone? if you are gonna be a thug ass criminal why not use your damn brain? petty crime, yes. stupid ass bullshit
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    a good tool kit has more than just a hammer!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969

The question is whether Brown was killed illegally by the officer. Whether or not he robbed the store is irrelevant. Stealing cigars is not punishable by death.

No, stealing isn't punishable by death. But the robbery is relevant. Even if the cop doesn't know he robbed the store, Brown doesn't know that. The fact that he robbed a store and minutes later there's a cop around had to have an impact on Brown's decision making process.
    Still not punishable by death. Hell murder isn't punishable by death in some states. Worst case this kid was a punk. That warrants two head shots?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dignin said:

it don't? oh ok

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    chadwick said:

brown robbed the store & is clutching those cigars. he & his little partner decide to calmly take a stroll down the fucking street, not the sidewalk. let's just be obvious, defiant & show everyone we are runnin the show around here. when asked to take the walk to the sidewalk by a policeman we will be as we are... runnin the show around here

strong arming a shopkeeper & walking down the damn street. asking for trouble anyone? if you are gonna be a thug ass criminal why not use your damn brain? petty crime, yes. stupid ass bullshit

Had same thoughts. Dudes a dick and he likely contributed to his own demise.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    correct, callen. it is as simple as that.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

I don't think you are a racist, but the word thug is being adopted in a racist manner.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/richard-sherman-is-right-thug-is-the-new-n-world.html

• Options
    chadwick said:

dignin said:

it don't? oh ok

No weapon was found on Brown and we don't know if he was trying to comply. Trying to confuse the two incidents is just what it is.....trying to confuse the two.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    dignin said:

Yes it does - it happened close to wear MB was killed.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    dignin said:

chadwick said:

I don't think you are a racist, but the word thug is being adopted in a racist manner.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/richard-sherman-is-right-thug-is-the-new-n-world.html

We're all racist, and as soon as people start getting right with that - we can cut through some real bullshit.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    you're right i am far from a racist

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Asking for trouble or asking to be killed?
  • Options

dignin said:

chadwick said:

We're all racist, and as soon as people start getting right with that - we can cut through some real bullshit.
    Can you explain further?

• Options

Still not punishable by death. Hell murder isn't punishable by death in some states. Worst case this kid was a punk. That warrants two head shots?

He wasn't killed for stealing. We don't know the facts of the case. My assumption is that he was killed for somehow threatening the police officer. You are very quick to call the police officer a murderer when none of us knows the facts of the case.
  • Options

He wasn't killed for stealing. We don't know the facts of the case. My assumption is that he was killed for somehow threatening the police officer. You are very quick to call the police officer a murderer when none of us knows the facts of the case.
    There is a lot of contradiction here.

You are right, we don't know the facts. So why are you going on assumptions?
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    The most disturbing part of this is the militarization of the police. Between the War on Drugs and "Terrorism" the local Law Enforcement has gotten out of hand.

We've lost something when you see police officers in full combat gear sitting on top of armored personnel carriers looking through semi automatic assault weapon scopes at Americans. After all these days they are still pointing weapons at people... WTF?....

When Amnesty International has to dispatch inspectors to an American city, something needs to change.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited August 2014

and one other thing, can you imagine being a cop in a high crime and violence area ? I'm not saying cops are perfect there are some bad cops but but they do get death threats just because they're cops,they get shot at just because they're cops and they get killed just because they're cops.....that would make a person a little more cautious don't ya think ?

Godfather.

Sure it would....but how does that justify killing Michael Brown when he's got his hands up, he's on the ground, and he's already been shot 2 times?

Im not trying to justify anything Im pointing out that people get killed everyday and some by cops but soon as a black person gets killed by a cop or a white person all hell breaks loose,the larger percentage of blacks killed in violent crimes are by other blacks but you don't see looting and arson in that case do you.

Godfather.
    You're just passing on a stereotype...that's total BS... not helpful

Please show some Justice Department stats that show black on black crime is higher than white on white....

This is about a community that has basically lived under police occupation since segregation. Keep taking away opportunities and keep making the economic equality wider and cities will begin to burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:

The most disturbing part of this is the militarization of the police. Between the War on Drugs and "Terrorism" the local Law Enforcement has gotten out of hand.

We've lost something when you see police officers in full combat gear sitting on top of armored personnel carriers looking through semi automatic assault weapon scopes at Americans. After all these days they are still pointing weapons at people... WTF?....

When Amnesty International has to dispatch inspectors to an American city, something needs to change.

It is a sad state.

• Options
    I'm not contradicting myself. I have an opinion based on nothing more than what I've read in the papers and seen on tv. I haven't presented anything as fact or said the cop was a murderer or said that Brown had it coming.

My opinion is just that. I'm not ready to declare the cop a murderer or innocent. That doesn't mean that I am contradicting myself for having an opinion.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:

and one other thing, can you imagine being a cop in a high crime and violence area ? I'm not saying cops are perfect there are some bad cops but but they do get death threats just because they're cops,they get shot at just because they're cops and they get killed just because they're cops.....that would make a person a little more cautious don't ya think ?

Godfather.

Sure it would....but how does that justify killing Michael Brown when he's got his hands up, he's on the ground, and he's already been shot 2 times?

Im not trying to justify anything Im pointing out that people get killed everyday and some by cops but soon as a black person gets killed by a cop or a white person all hell breaks loose,the larger percentage of blacks killed in violent crimes are by other blacks but you don't see looting and arson in that case do you.

Godfather.
    You're just passing on a stereotype...that's total BS... not helpful

Please show some Justice Department stats that show black on black crime is higher than white on white....

This is about a community that has basically lived under police occupation since segregation. Keep taking away opportunities and keep making the economic equality wider and cities will begin to burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A
    A community that has basically lived under police occupation since segregation?

Would you expand on that please? PM me if you like. Im not being a smart ass, I would.like to know what you are referencing.
  • Options
    very sad stuff going on here & around the world. law enforcement probably doesn't like rocks, molotov cocktails & whatever else thrown at them. didn't i read that some are shooting at law enforcement too? good ideas

burn down shops, loot, riot & act the fool. this gets you everywhere

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Keep in mind that the store owner made it clear that he did NOT call 911 to report anything at the sto

If I turn out to be wrong I'll admit it. Based on the witnesses and the way the cops are acting I think the kid was murdered.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

chadwick said:

Without knowing the full story that seems to change every day... I'm not blaming the officer for what occurred quite yet.

What we do know is this guy had committed a crime, strutted down the middle of the street- essentially telling the world to go fuck themselves- defied police orders, and- likely thinking he was being detained for the robbery he just committed- resisted arrest (apparently lunging for a weapon as well).

On that note... if it is proven he lunged for the officer's weapon... what was he going to do with it? If he had shot the cop... everyone would be saying, "Why didn't the cop use his gun? What type of cop allows the detained to grab his gun and use it against him?"

From everything I have read, this case must determine exactly what threat Brown presented to the officer handling the situation. If it is established that Brown- a massive human being by all accounts- presented himself as a formidable threat that could easily overpower the officer and that he made an effort to do so... then I don't know if we should be the ones to judge whether or not excessive force was used or not. A cop, upholding the law and in a life or death situation against a criminal gets my support. Sorry.

Brown was in control of the situation to start with:
    1. He didn't have to rob the store.
    2. He didn't have to walk down the middle of the street demanding attention.
    3. He didn't have to ignore the cops demands which were reasonable to start with.
    4. He didn't have to resist arrest and lunge for a weapon.

Better judgement at any one of those moments and he likely would still be alive. In hindsight and from afar, it's easy to say what the cop should have done; but given the cop was forced to deal with the moment and make instantaneous decisions that might have cost him his life... I'm inclined to exercise a bare minimum of understanding... at least until the full story comes out.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

chadwick said:

Without knowing the full story that seems to change every day... I'm not blaming the officer for what occurred quite yet.

What we do know is this guy had committed a crime, strutted down the middle of the street- essentially telling the world to go fuck themselves- defied police orders, and- likely thinking he was being detained for the robbery he just committed- resisted arrest (apparently lunging for a weapon as well).

On that note... if it is proven he lunged for the officer's weapon... what was he going to do with it? If he had shot the cop... everyone would be saying, "Why didn't the cop use his gun? What type of cop allows the detained to grab his gun and use it against him?"

From everything I have read, this case must determine exactly what threat Brown presented to the officer handling the situation. If it is established that Brown- a massive human being by all accounts- presented himself as a formidable threat that could easily overpower the officer and that he made an effort to do so... then I don't know if we should be the ones to judge whether or not excessive force was used or not. A cop, upholding the law and in a life or death situation against a criminal gets my support. Sorry.

Brown was in control of the situation to start with:
    1. He didn't have to rob the store.
    2. He didn't have to walk down the middle of the street demanding attention.
    3. He didn't have to ignore the cops demands which were reasonable to start with.
    4. He didn't have to resist arrest and lunge for a weapon.

Better judgement at any one of those moments and he likely would still be alive. In hindsight and from afar, it's easy to say what the cop should have done; but given the cop was forced to deal with the moment and make instantaneous decisions that might have cost him his life... I'm inclined to exercise a bare minimum of understanding... at least until the full story comes out.
    I don't disagree at all. The story has to come out. We will see if it does. But to basically say the guy deserves what he got because he was asking for trouble is insane.

The fact is an unarmed 18 year old is dead, regardless of race. People have every reason to be angry and want answers.

Everyone has handled the situation terribly

• Options
    Gern, fair enough. (To much to quote).
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

But to basically say the guy deserves what he got because he was asking for trouble is insane.

The fact is an unarmed 18 year old is dead, regardless of race. People have every reason to be angry and want answers.

Everyone has handled the situation terribly