Options

The Insomnia Thread - #TeamNoSleep

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Is there such thing as 'heat drunk'? Been sleeping horribly since the heat wave, when I woke up this morning I still felt dopey...made it through most of the day, it finally cooled down to 78° today...as soon as I got home, I passed out on the couch, slept for 5 hours. Of course now I can't sleep.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    i think its called heat exhaustion. You are hydrating and not overexerting yourself right? If its a lot of direct sunlight you need to wear a hat and stay in the shade - when i'm in the sun for a few hours I need a nap too.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    RKCNDY said:

Is there such thing as 'heat drunk'? Been sleeping horribly since the heat wave, when I woke up this morning I still felt dopey...made it through most of the day, it finally cooled down to 78° today...as soon as I got home, I passed out on the couch, slept for 5 hours. Of course now I can't sleep.

Ugh, I hear ya. This heatwave is knocking me out. My brain is running at slow-mo and I feel a little nauseous all the time. :relieved:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

i think its called heat exhaustion. You are hydrating and not overexerting yourself right? If its a lot of direct sunlight you need to wear a hat and stay in the shade - when i'm in the sun for a few hours I need a nap too.

Getting enough water, staying inside or in the shade mist of the time. It's just we PNW'ers are sissies when it comes to heat, above 80℉ and we turn into a bunch of whiners.
    PJ_Soul said:

Ugh, I hear ya. This heatwave is knocking me out. My brain is running at slow-mo and I feel a little nauseous all the time. :relieved:

Is your office air conditioned? Lucky you if it is! But I'm glad you totally understand...some transplants (people not from here), just love it...I'm like melting in a puddle.

The only good thing about the heat, I totally lose my appetite...eat less, lose weight, score!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    No, my office is not air conditioned. :frowning: It does (supposedly) have some kind of air circulation system that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, and never ever works during a heat wave because it's just not effective enough to do any good. So it is FUCKING BROILING in my office right now, despite the two fans I've got going and the open windows.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Been having a little trouble with sleeping due to the heat, but I dunno if that's really insomnia...I just wake up a bunch of times...I have to uncover because I'm too hot, then I get too cool with the fa blowing right on me, and I have to cover up, and I wake up each time you know...it's ridiculous...and the heat has been causing me to have more headaches I think....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    I think I have found something that actually works.
    I've been taking magnesium tablets every day and am sleeping much better. You can just get from the health food shop or pharmacy. As long as it's magnesium phosphate or a magnesium complex. It's really working though, please try some and see!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    ^^^^ I've heard about this but haven't tried it; more to the point, I forgot to try it. I may look it up. I have to say that I started taking Vitamin D a few months back and seem to be sleeping much better, but this is confounded by the fact that I also started doing a lot more exercise.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    RKCNDY said:

you'd sleep better if you quit making fun of me.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

Nah, we sleep the well-deserved sleep of the just after making fun of you....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476

imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

Nah, we sleep the well-deserved sleep of the just after making fun of you....
    I can't sleep cuz I'm plotting my revenge :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Sleep is for pussies,
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

Sleep is for pussies,

That's what I've been saying.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    edited July 2015
    Well I got 4 minutes of forum domination and I cracked 5000 posts, that should be good enough.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I'm next...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Oh god.... I have to be up in 3.5 hours, and i have a VERY busy day at work ahead of me, dealing woth a ton of people and trying to keel chaos at bay. It's going to be awful. :frowning:
  • Options
    I took a nap...now I can't sleep. I couldn't sleep on Friday night, so needed up with 5 hours, then took a nap, out of synch...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    cant remember if this has been posted or not
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I've heard of a medicin called Circadin has anyone tried it?
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

that medication is for blind people. Since they cannot see light, their bodies don't know when 'sleep' time is. That's what that med is for.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

that medication is for blind people. Since they cannot see light, their bodies don't know when 'sleep' time is. That's what that med is for.
    Only for blind people ? Ok
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

Ummm, not exactly although it could probably be used for that. Circadin is just extended release melatonin. Melatonin is a chemical naturally released in our brains that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle. There's been lots of research around using it as a sleep aid but overall it's not that effective for run of the mill insomnia in most people. It is quite helpful in certain circumstances, like for people who do shift work and people who are jet-lagged, both circumstances in which the usual sleep/wake cycle is disrupted. The research for Circadin seems to be mostly in people over 55, which can have a decrease in the natural release of melatonin. Even in the over-55 crowd the effect is described as "modest".

On the bright side, it's probably not going to harm you or cause much in the way of side effects. Can be costly, though.
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

Ummm, not exactly although it could probably be used for that. Circadin is just extended release melatonin. Melatonin is a chemical naturally released in our brains that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle. There's been lots of research around using it as a sleep aid but overall it's not that effective for run of the mill insomnia in most people. It is quite helpful in certain circumstances, like for people who do shift work and people who are jet-lagged, both circumstances in which the usual sleep/wake cycle is disrupted. The research for Circadin seems to be mostly in people over 55, which can have a decrease in the natural release of melatonin. Even in the over-55 crowd the effect is described as "modest".

On the bright side, it's probably not going to harm you or cause much in the way of side effects. Can be costly, though.
    So the commercial lied?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

So the commercial lied?
    I did indeed see an ad where this was marketed for blind people.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

So the commercial lied?
    me too. and I got kinda jealous. They were calling it non-24 or something and I'm like I HAVE THAT!!! but then they made it seem like it was only for blind people.and I got jealous and had to check my privilege.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

So the commercial lied?
    Shocking, I know, but it can happen :smile: .

The majority of their research appears to be in the over-55 crowd. I have no idea why they would specifically be marketing it only for blind people.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Annafalk said:

So the commercial lied?
    me too. and I got kinda jealous. They were calling it non-24 or something and I'm like I HAVE THAT!!! but then they made it seem like it was only for blind people.and I got jealous and had to check my privilege.
    I think it's non-24 h sleep-wake disorder in the blind, according to an article I just read.
  • Options
    :bawling:

I didn't even take a nap today...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

:bawling:

I didn't even take a nap today...

In right there with ya. I'm exhausted but my brain won't shut off
  • Options
    'la di dah...

- Christopher McCandless