Options

I Hate Self-Promotion. But Please Buy My Book. Updated - Book Signing in LA.

EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
edited July 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
If you're in the LA area - Book Signing and Launch at Book Soup Tuesday night August 5th at 7. It'll be fun. (I hope.)

photo a3db077a-7c2c-4076-8e01-59063ab1ea06_zps52d725b7.jpg

photo e39a29fc-21d9-4b22-8d89-cab10f537dd0_zps9ef62f57.jpg

So I wrote a book. Actually it's my second book. The first one, Can't Keep, about a middle-aged woman obsessed with Pearl Jam - that one didn't sell. (Because they said women wouldn't want to read a book about Pearl Jam. Really?) But my second book sold to a small publisher and it's coming out July 1st. So I need all the help I can get. Don't be put off by the pink cover - it's not really chick lit. It's a book about a couple trying to get pregnant and sperm gets switched around. It's funny, I promise. You can read the prologue on my website. The book is available on Amazon (link below), Barnes and Noble, and IndieBound.org, among others.

And if you're interested the the excellent t-shirt made by a friend, let me know. I've got a bunch.

Thanks. And I really do hate self-promotion. (But my agent says if this book does okay there's a chance for the Pearl Jam book. And that would be fantastic.)

photo 73fa4806-b29f-402b-b79d-358f0256ef9c_zps960402a0.jpg

photo d6dd9104-de7f-4c43-abf8-ef59678966e7_zpsd5a1cd48.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-A-Novel-Ann-Hamilton/dp/1402295057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403478767&sr=8-1&keywords=ann+lewis+hamilton

http://annlewishamilton.com/
Post edited by Enkidu on

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,472
    we are on the advance order list!!

This book will be good, i'm sure. Ann has got a wicked sense of humor, as evidenced by the slightly disturbing christmas cards she sends out. :))

Help a great fan, a good person and a GIANTS fan stuck in the cesspool of LA!

I would absolutely love to see this book do well and lead to the publication of the PJ book. Oprah is no longer able to pimp this, but maybe Anderson Cooper could!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Enkidu,
    That is awesome. Congrats!
    I just pre-ordered your book from Amazon. Cannot wait to read it.

Best of luck to you on getting your Pearl Jam book published as well. Who are "they" who said women wouldn't want to read a book about Pearl Jam? Pffft!
  • Options
    Thanks, Rob. I swear it's a really funny book. Kind of Nick Hornby and Helen Fielding and Tina Fey-ish.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm looking forward to reading this! I always enjoy your writing. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

Thanks, Rob. I swear it's a really funny book. Kind of Nick Hornby and Helen Fielding and Tina Fey-ish.

I love nick hornby! I hated what hollywood did to fever pitch. As a book, it was an apt description of my Giants fandom.

True story....awhile back, after googling, my wife asks "you know your friend from the message pit? She's kind of a big deal." :)) yes, enkidu is kind of a big deal!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    poor taste in baseball teams does not affect one's writing ability :P :D

congrats, ann...i'm off to order now :)
  • Options
    norm said:

sorry about the "LA cesspool" comment, but you know...

Arcadia is actually quite nice

<:-P

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    norm said:

I think you'll like it, Norm. It's set in Sherman Oaks and has a UCLA student in it - oops, don't want to give too much away. Oh, and there's a Dodgers/Giants game in it, too. No Pearl Jam references - the original title was Wishlist but my agent hated that.
  • Options

Enkidu,

Best of luck to you on getting your Pearl Jam book published as well. Who are "they" who said women wouldn't want to read a book about Pearl Jam? Pffft!

Publishers. They all had the same note. "What yuppie woman would suddenly get obsessed with Pearl Jam? We would understand if she got obsessed with Michael Buble." Really. That's what they said. I don't think I could write that book.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Enkidu said:

Enkidu,

Publishers. They all had the same note. "What yuppie woman would suddenly get obsessed with Pearl Jam? We would understand if she got obsessed with Michael Buble." Really. That's what they said. I don't think I could write that book.
    show her the eddie hot pics thread...if that doesn't convince her she should get out of the business :))
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Congratulations!
    Both sound great. I'll spread the word. :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Time to do some shopping.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    I can't wait to order a signed copy! Really looking forward to reading this awesome novel!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Enkidu said:

I agree! I read the excerpt and thought your sense of humor was similar, yet more original! Looking forward to this book too! :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Looks like I know what I will be reading on my flight to the UK next month!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    but i want a signred copy!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I think I can sign book plates and send them to people. I keep waiting for a box of books to arrive from the publisher. I think I might be waiting a long long time.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    I've been packing a few books around for a long time but I guarantee I will be grabbing this and reading it before I even attempt to try finishing my standbys.

I will also be using that other form of social media to get the word out. I'm sure I have a few girls that will be spreading the word too!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    norm said:

:))
    Sounds good.. .will be ordering.... Congrats!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Enkidu says we all get a "cut" if the book is a success! :)>-

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Sure, everyone can get a cut. (If you knew how little they paid for the book in the first place - I could buy everyone on the Forum a latte from Starbucks. Or maybe not.) I just want the Pearl Jam book to sell.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    hey, she could have us help her write the 'about the author' blurb on the back of the book...eyed did that!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

hey, she could have us help her write the 'about the author' blurb on the back of the book...eyed did that!

who?

I kid...I remember him (and snakeduck)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    I'm going to order this book, it sounds like an awesome read, but I can't wait to read the Can't Keep book. I wish you all the best with this book and I hope your dream comes true of publishing Can't Keep....the publishers don't know what they were saying all of us Pearl Jam ladies would love to read about your obsession, as we are all obsessed!!!!! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Just pre ordered it, can't wait for it to arrive :)
  • Options

I'm going to order this book, it sounds like an awesome read, but I can't wait to read the Can't Keep book. I wish you all the best with this book and I hope your dream comes true of publishing Can't Keep....the publishers don't know what they were saying all of us Pearl Jam ladies would love to read about your obsession, as we are all obsessed!!!!! Good luck :)

Thank you. I don't want a book about a woman obsessed with Michael Buble. Boring. Some people ask me - Oh, is it because you think Eddie Vedder is cute? And I say, No, it's because I really like the band. Duh.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Enkidu said:

Thank you. I don't want a book about a woman obsessed with Michael Buble. Boring. Some people ask me - Oh, is it because you think Eddie Vedder is cute? And itI say, No, it's because I really like the band. Duh.
    LOL so many people don't get the obsession, but this community does, I love reading about other peoples Pearl Jam experiences, so i really hope your book gets published, I'll be buying it, congratulations on writing both books =D>
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

Thank you. I don't want a book about a woman obsessed with Michael Buble. Boring. Some people ask me - Oh, is it because you think Eddie Vedder is cute? And I say, No, it's because I really like the band. Duh.
    If you want to write a book about a woman obsessed with The Who, I can probably offer a few suggestions. \m/ :P
  • Options

Enkidu said:

I'm going to order this book, it sounds like I an awesome read, but I can't wait to read the Can't Keep book. I wish you all the best with this book and I hope your dream comes true of publishing Can't Keep....the publishers don't know what they were saying all of us Pearl Jam ladies would love to read about your obsession, as we are all obsessed!!!!! Good luck :)

If you want to write a book about a woman obsessed with The Who, I can probably offer a few suggestions. \m/ :P
    Ha ha. I bet the publishers would say the same thing. "What women would want to read a book about a woman obsessed with The Who? Michael Buble or Justin Biber - now people would buy that book."

Gack. (I would buy a book about a woman obsessed with The Who in a heartbeat.)
  • Options
    I know one or two women obsessed with The Who. =))

Looking forward to reading your book!