Options

I Hate Self-Promotion. But Please Buy My Book. Updated - Book Signing in LA.

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516

Thanks for using the word 'sucky' in your writer's digest post. I find that this word is not used enough in our modern day lexicon.
    Sucky.
    It says so many things, so easily.

:))

(No sarcasm here. I am a sucky writer that this is not clear and I feel compelled to point this out in a postscript.)

it's sucky to quote your own posts ;)

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,653
    :))
    nice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    did anybody find out if the book is any good...I know it must be but just checking with you...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,653
    Yes, I enjoyed it very much and the subject matter was not my normal read. Great writing, great flow, and lots of humor injected throughout!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,831
    It's getting 4.5 stars out of 5 on Amazon, with 25 reviews.

By why, oh why, in her Amazon bio does she not mention that she's a 10C member??? ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    JWPearl said:

did anybody find out if the book is any good...I know it must be but just checking with you...

I think the book is genius. Oh wait, I wrote it.

It's funny. And sad. If you go on my website you can read the intro. It's about switched sperm - how is sperm not funny?

And oftenreading is right - why didn't I mention I'm a 10C member? That would have driven up book sales by the 1000s.
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

JWPearl said:

I think the book is genius. Oh wait, I wrote it.

It's funny. And sad. If you go on my website you can read the intro. It's about switched sperm - how is sperm not funny?

And oftenreading is right - why didn't I mention I'm a 10C member? That would have driven up book sales by the 1000s.
    If you came out against Crowd Sources Concerts, ones in Queens specifically, you would undoubtedly receive some additional press.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    oh thanks for review..
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Enkidu said:

Don't be put off by the pink cover - it's not really chick lit.

OK, my wife does a monthly book club. They decided to make December a couples meeting. Honestly now, am I going to get my ass kicked (figuratively) if we go with this book? If so, she can just hang onto it for one of the upcoming meetings where it will be all women.

It's not like any of the guys are neanderthals, but we'd all probably prefer to get together to play cards or watch a hockey game rather than discuss literature.
  • Options
    Hahaha. Tough question. I think there are certainly more 'manly' books but it is funny and everyone likes funny. As I already admitted the topic is not something I normally would buy....but it was written by one of the Faithful and I ended up laughing a lot. There are many items here that will spur interesting discourse as well.
    I would say go for it with the club --- hey, at worst it will double the sales associated with the club's reading of this book, and that is a good thing for the author. :)

• Options
    geez - couples book club.....that is some radical shit.....shudder.

that said, it would be good for couples ((((shudder)))) book club....the guy characters are pretty typical guys but not to the point of parody.....Jack and Alan are OK.....the women won't hate them...they're probably better than you :)) ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

Yeah, if you'll notice, I said THEY decided -- not WE decided.

But hey, whatever. I'm a team player. As long as there's plenty of beer, I'll be happy. Or wine, I suppose.

I ain't drinking no caramel-tinis, though.
  • Options
    Look a the prologue on my website - you'll see the tone of the book. And I can send you a chapter if you'd like. I got a good review today, but I won't post it because it's from "Chick Lit Central."

(I wouldn't drink a caramel-tini either. Ugh.)
  • Options
    couples book club might DRIVE you to caramel-tinis :))

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Any 'tini' in a storm!

If I had to do a book club with my wife and her friends I would drink windex given the opportunity.
  • Options

Any 'tini' in a storm!

If I had to do a book club with my wife and her friends I would drink windex given the opportunity.

If she reads this, you may be given the opportunity.
  • Options
    JTH said:

imalive said:

Yeah, if you'll notice, I said THEY decided -- not WE decided.

But hey, whatever. I'm a team player. As long as there's plenty of beer, I'll be happy. Or wine, I suppose.

I ain't drinking no caramel-tinis, though.
    Wine coolers?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Is there such a thing as a caramel-tini? I go for drinks sometimes with a friend and he gets a green apple martini and I get a G & T and every time the waiter puts the green apple martini in front of me.
  • Options
    Enkidu, I'm curious - do you get the same amount of money from a Kindle sale as from a physical book sale?
  • Options
    You mean ten cents versus twelve cents? (This book was definitely written for love and not for money.) I really don't know the answer. I'll ask my agent. I don't know about the audio book either - I haven't bought it yet. It would be interesting to hear somebody read it.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Who would you have read...? Hunter Pence would be a good place to start! Haha!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options

Any 'tini' in a storm!

If she reads this, you may be given the opportunity.
    Lol yeah that didn't sound right. More about the group than my lovely bride. Oh well just being real.
  • Options

Enkidu, I'm curious - do you get the same amount of money from a Kindle sale as from a physical book sale?

Read an interesting article about how big bad Amazon is basically trying to make physical books obsolete with this kindle BS.

Ann - if you read your agreement, you'll see your agent makes more off each book than you :))

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Enkidu said:

If you're in the LA area - Book Signing and Launch at Book Soup Tuesday night August 5th at 7. It'll be fun. (I hope.)

photo a3db077a-7c2c-4076-8e01-59063ab1ea06_zps52d725b7.jpg

photo e39a29fc-21d9-4b22-8d89-cab10f537dd0_zps9ef62f57.jpg

So I wrote a book. Actually it's my second book. The first one, Can't Keep, about a middle-aged woman obsessed with Pearl Jam - that one didn't sell. (Because they said women wouldn't want to read a book about Pearl Jam. Really?) But my second book sold to a small publisher and it's coming out July 1st. So I need all the help I can get. Don't be put off by the pink cover - it's not really chick lit. It's a book about a couple trying to get pregnant and sperm gets switched around. It's funny, I promise. You can read the prologue on my website. The book is available on Amazon (link below), Barnes and Noble, and IndieBound.org, among others.

And if you're interested the the excellent t-shirt made by a friend, let me know. I've got a bunch.

Thanks. And I really do hate self-promotion. (But my agent says if this book does okay there's a chance for the Pearl Jam book. And that would be fantastic.)

photo 73fa4806-b29f-402b-b79d-358f0256ef9c_zps960402a0.jpg

photo d6dd9104-de7f-4c43-abf8-ef59678966e7_zpsd5a1cd48.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-A-Novel-Ann-Hamilton/dp/1402295057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403478767&sr=8-1&keywords=ann+lewis+hamilton

http://annlewishamilton.com/

Self-promotion is hard isn't it? People who read my work really like it, I'm just terrible at promoting myself.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    you could almost say this thread is "trending" :))

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

Read an interesting article about how big bad Amazon is basically trying to make physical books obsolete with this kindle BS.

Ann - if you read your agreement, you'll see your agent makes more off each book than you :))
    Don't you dare insult my Kindle! I love books in all forms, including my Kindle, which allows me to instantly download new releases from my favourite authors without having to wait for a weekend when I can get to a book store (what can I say, I have a busy life). I can also download a bunch of stuff that never gets published in physical format, such as short stories, novellas, collaborations, etc. And you would not believe how helpful it is when I travel - I can pack one Kindle with multiple books on it, rather than filling up half my suitcase with heavy books and still getting anxious that I'll run out in a non-English speaking country. I still buy paper books, too, of course.
  • Options
    I like having a Kindle - it's perfect for things like Stephen King. I wish I'd gotten all the Game of Thrones books on my Kindle cause they take up a lot of space. I agree about being able to get books instantly - that's fantastic.

But I still prefer paper books for non-fiction though, for maps and photos.
  • Options
    Yes, I have an older kindle and it isn't great for graphics. Of course, I don't get much with graphics anyway, so that's okay. I don't have colour, nor do I want a colour display; my kindle's battery power can last for a three week trip with a lot of reading without needing to be charged, but a colour display would run through the battery in no time.
  • Options

imalive said:

Don't you dare insult my Kindle! I love books in all forms, including my Kindle, which allows me to instantly download new releases from my favourite authors without having to wait for a weekend when I can get to a book store (what can I say, I have a busy life). I can also download a bunch of stuff that never gets published in physical format, such as short stories, novellas, collaborations, etc. And you would not believe how helpful it is when I travel - I can pack one Kindle with multiple books on it, rather than filling up half my suitcase with heavy books and still getting anxious that I'll run out in a non-English speaking country. I still buy paper books, too, of course.
    The kindle definitely has its merits, but Amazon and e-books are spelling doom for publishing houses......I guess it's "progress," but not all progress is good.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16