Options

I Hate Self-Promotion. But Please Buy My Book. Updated - Book Signing in LA.

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,831
    imalive said:

imalive said:

Enkidu, I'm curious - do you get the same amount of money from a Kindle sale as from a physical book sale?

Read an interesting article about how big bad Amazon is basically trying to make physical books obsolete with this kindle BS.

Ann - if you read your agreement, you'll see your agent makes more off each book than you :))
    Don't you dare insult my Kindle! I love books in all forms, including my Kindle, which allows me to instantly download new releases from my favourite authors without having to wait for a weekend when I can get to a book store (what can I say, I have a busy life). I can also download a bunch of stuff that never gets published in physical format, such as short stories, novellas, collaborations, etc. And you would not believe how helpful it is when I travel - I can pack one Kindle with multiple books on it, rather than filling up half my suitcase with heavy books and still getting anxious that I'll run out in a non-English speaking country. I still buy paper books, too, of course.
    The kindle definitely has its merits, but Amazon and e-books are spelling doom for publishing houses......I guess it's "progress," but not all progress is good.
    Perhaps we can separate the usefulness of the kindle from the business practices of Amazon, which I agree could be improved. Not all progress is good, but changes in an industry are not necessarily bad, either.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Me again, the queen of self-promotion. (But still hating it.) My novel Expecting would make an excellent Christmas gift or stocking stuffer. Or Hanukkah present. Available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble and possibly other bookstores near you. And it's cheap. Well, cheaper than a Moline poster.

And now that I'm a Huffington Post blogger (anybody have suggestions on what else to blog about?), here's a new post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-lewis-hamilton/and-what-should-i-have-do_b_6318236.html
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    Enkidu said:

Me again, the queen of self-promotion. (But still hating it.) My novel Expecting would make an excellent Christmas gift or stocking stuffer. Or Hanukkah present. Available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble and possibly other bookstores near you. And it's cheap. Well, cheaper than a Moline poster.

l

but not as cheap as some of those $10 clearance posters! damn, there's some shit in there.

buy Expecting.....it's a good read and only marginally more expensive than a bad poster.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Enkidu said:

And now that I'm a Huffington Post blogger (anybody have suggestions on what else to blog about?), here's a new post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-lewis-hamilton/and-what-should-i-have-do_b_6318236.html

Wow I think your relaying on the blog is very personal and scary. As a man I am embarrassed but hardly shocked. I am also glad that you didn't kick him in the balls. Who knows what that could have turned into and you did a good job of getting out of the situation w/o any further damage to yourself.

Is your blog to be on any topic you like or on any certain angle?

Buy this book!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I can blog about anything for HuffPo. Should I blog about Pearl Jam? Green Day in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before PJ? What is that all about?

Handy link to book - check out the reviews. NOT written by me either.

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-Novel-Ann-Hamilton/dp/1402295057/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418750544&sr=8-2&keywords=expecting

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    edited December 2014
    Perhaps you could blog about something from the following list:
    (PJ is not eligible for the R&RHOF yet. I believe it will be 2017 before they will be....)

+The ridiculousness of our country spending 600 Billion Dollars in the 27 days leading up to Christmas when so many Americans are up to their asses in debt.
    +When did it become OK for normal Americans to buy Cars for loved ones at Christmas?
    (Or even $2500 macbook pros?)
    +How much would it take to feed a child for a day in a 3rd world nation?

December is the best month of the year.

Ann's perspective on companion animals going on planes with their owners. (Why stop at small dogs? Where are the voices for Gerbils, Hamsters, and yes....Snakes on a plane?!?!)

Do people say "It is Five O Clock Somewhere!" when they order a drink earlier than 5 PM local time any more? I feel like perhaps the saying needs to be adjusted to "It is Noon Somewhere!" (Maybe this is just the people I know?)

Here is my good friend Chadwick, he is guest blogging for me today: (hilarity ensures)

Goodreads home for the book -- buy it!
    goodreads.com/book/show/18601925-expecting

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

I can blog about anything for HuffPo. Should I blog about Pearl Jam? Green Day in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before PJ? What is that all about?

cue the twilight zone music.....I just put american idiot in my truck CD player yesterday.

better album than backspacer :-$

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    I don't get why people who are creative preface self-promotion with 'I hate self-promotion.' BE FUCKING PROUD OF WHAT YOU DO!! How else will you share what you do with the world? B-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I don't get why people who are creative preface self-promotion with 'I hate self-promotion.' BE FUCKING PROUD OF WHAT YOU DO!! How else will you share what you do with the world? B-)

Us writer folk are people who are used to sitting alone in a room all day. Being out there in the world is scary to us (I'm being only slightly ironic). I'm proud, but shy.

And speaking of ironic, I couldn't reply to this right away because I was doing a podcast with a a man who runs Author Magazine in Seattle (I talked a lot about my first book about Pearl Jam).
  • Options
    Podcasts.....books.....blogging.......how do you find time to train that puppy?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    This is the first time I've clicked on this thread. I'm sure it a good book. But why preface thebthreqd title with "I hate self promotion"?
  • Options
    This is the first time I've clicked on this thread. I'm sure it a good book. But why preface thebthreqd title with "I hate self promotion"?

She doesn't want to brag about writing a great book! I agree after reading, Ann, you should change it to 'Please Buy My Book (you will like it, I swear)'
  • Options
    Perhaps you could blog about something from the following list:<br />
    (PJ is not eligible for the R&RHOF yet. I believe it will be 2017 before they will be....)<br />
    <br />
    +The ridiculousness of our country spending 600 Billion Dollars in the 27 days leading up to Christmas when so many Americans are up to their asses in debt.<br />
    +When did it become OK for normal Americans to buy Cars for loved ones at Christmas?<br />
    (Or even $2500 macbook pros?) <br />
    +How much would it take to feed a child for a day in a 3rd world nation? <br />
    <br />
    December is the best month of the year.<br />
    <br />
    Ann's perspective on companion animals going on planes with their owners. (Why stop at small dogs? Where are the voices for Gerbils, Hamsters, and yes....Snakes on a plane?!?!)<br />
    <br />
    Do people say "It is Five O Clock Somewhere!" when they order a drink earlier than 5 PM local time any more? I feel like perhaps the saying needs to be adjusted to "It is Noon Somewhere!" (Maybe this is just the people I know?)<br />
    <br />
    Here is my good friend Chadwick, he is guest blogging for me today: (hilarity ensures)<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Goodreads home for the book -- buy it!<br />

All excellent suggestions. Look for them in a future Huffington Post. And I'll share the money I get - oh wait, I don't get any money.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Enkidu wrote: »
    Perhaps you could blog about something from the following list:<br />
    (PJ is not eligible for the R&RHOF yet. I believe it will be 2017 before they will be....)<br />
    <br />
    +The ridiculousness of our country spending 600 Billion Dollars in the 27 days leading up to Christmas when so many Americans are up to their asses in debt.<br />
    +When did it become OK for normal Americans to buy Cars for loved ones at Christmas?<br />
    (Or even $2500 macbook pros?) <br />
    +How much would it take to feed a child for a day in a 3rd world nation? <br />
    <br />
    December is the best month of the year.<br />
    <br />
    Ann's perspective on companion animals going on planes with their owners. (Why stop at small dogs? Where are the voices for Gerbils, Hamsters, and yes....Snakes on a plane?!?!)<br />
    <br />
    Do people say "It is Five O Clock Somewhere!" when they order a drink earlier than 5 PM local time any more? I feel like perhaps the saying needs to be adjusted to "It is Noon Somewhere!" (Maybe this is just the people I know?)<br />
    <br />
    Here is my good friend Chadwick, he is guest blogging for me today: (hilarity ensures)<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Goodreads home for the book -- buy it!<br />

All excellent suggestions. Look for them in a future Huffington Post. And I'll share the money I get - oh wait, I don't get any money.

I have three kids. Wouldn't you think that if I wanted to buy the oldest (13) an iPod, I could do this with no worry, right? Wrong, as it turns out, my wife said it would be unfair for Caitlin to have one and .ot her sister Maddy who is 8. And since Maddy is getting an iPod too, Tyler (5) deserves to get a small tablet so be can play his games!

Now some of you see why I get angry and want tthrow the walls of my house in the septic tank.
  • Options
    My daughter broke her iPhone (an old one). "It was an accident." Then she broke her laptop by getting her earphones stuck inside so it won't play music anymore. "It was an accident." What does she want for Christmas? A new guitar. She has two (my old ones). I say she should get a phone or a laptop. She says that's not fair. She should get something "new."

I also would like to throw the walls of my house in a septic tank.
  • Options
    HEXHEX Posts: 221
    Me again, the queen of self-promotion. (But still hating it.) My novel Expecting would make an excellent Christmas gift or stocking stuffer. Or Hanukkah present. Available at Amazon or Barnes and Noble and possibly other bookstores near you. And it's cheap. Well, cheaper than a Moline poster.<br />
    <br />
    And now that I'm a Huffington Post blogger (anybody have suggestions on what else to blog about?), here's a new post. <br />
    <br />

I finally ordered some copies of the book from a Dutch local bookshop. I have not seen the book on the shelves of bookshops here in the Netherlands though. Didn't read it yet (only a few pages) but I know Ann is a great writer !!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I have three kids. Wouldn't you think that if I wanted to buy the oldest (13) an iPod, I could do this with no worry, right? Wrong, as it turns out, my wife said it would be unfair for Caitlin to have one and .ot her sister Maddy who is 8. And since Maddy is getting an iPod too, Tyler (5) deserves to get a small tablet so be can play his games!

Now some of you see why I get angry and want tthrow the walls of my house in the septic tank.

Great time for the young ones to learn that sometimes life just is not fair. Your oldest is 5 and 8 years older than the younger children and with age comes responsibilities and privileges.
    Wait until you go to buy a car -- what are Maddy and Tyler going to get then to be fair? lol.

(This is coming from a guy raising a 10 year old nephew and 6 month old son so I have no perspective of experience with this....just sayin'. :) )

Wanting to throw the walls of your house in the septic tank is a classic Chad-ism and I love it.

Buy the book!
    roundtablereviewsadult.blogspot.com/2014/08/expecting-by-ann-hamilton.html
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    I kinda figured throwing walls in a septic tank came from chad.

It seems this site has bugs again....quoting and smilies....this comes as absolutely no surprise to me.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    How about a blog post detailing how you were contacted by back-channel sources representing the North Korean government requesting that you not sell your book due to the offensive content contained within. In North Korea there are never mix ups at clinics -- hell, there are no clinics, but that is beside the point. Further, a young man dates multiple women and has pre-marital relations with them --- in NK only the great and powerful Oz KJU can pull off that sort of action.

To quote our old pal Chuck Brown: Good Grief!
  • Options
    How about a blog post detailing how you were contacted by back-channel sources representing the North Korean government requesting that you not sell your book due to the offensive content contained within. In North Korea there are never mix ups at clinics -- hell, there are no clinics, but that is beside the point. Further, a young man dates multiple women and has pre-marital relations with them --- in NK only the great and powerful Oz KJU can pull off that sort of action.

To quote our old pal Chuck Brown: Good Grief!

I'm afraid to post anything about NK. Because they're watching us...

However, I did do a blog post today about book suggestions for Christmas. A variety of books (duh, including mine). 3 of the books are by PJ fans. What are the chances of that?

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2014/12/all-i-want-for-christmas-is.html
  • Options
    yours, JL's.....and who is the other PJ peep?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote: »
    yours, JL's.....and who is the other PJ peep?
    The Big Hoot - R. L. McDaniel.
  • Options
    Awesome of you to pimp the other 10C books, I am sure they appreciate it!
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Do you have a kindle version yet, per chance?
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren wrote: »
    Do you have a kindle version yet, per chance?

I do have a Kindle version. There's also an audio version (that I haven't heard yet but friends tell me it's really fun).

http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-Novel-Ann-Lewis-Hamilton-ebook/dp/B00J8QDLS0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1419039522&sr=8-4&keywords=expecting
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    awesome! I will look into getting it on my kindle! :smiley:
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    I'm not going to stay anything about that book (Expecting, still available on Amazon). But I have a piece in Huffington Post today and I think it's really funny. Ladies might appreciate it more than guys. It's about purses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-lewis-hamilton/about-a-purse_b_6439494.html

• Options
    Wow, I am lost (not knowing anything about purses) but I did laugh at the concept and the writing.

I am super excited, however, at the side article I noticed while reading about Fight Club...this lead to a linked article about Fight Club 2! ;)
    tor.com/blogs/2014/07/sdcc-2014-fightclub2
    How did I miss this?

You lost a purse but I found out an old friend is coming back to town. Thanks!
  • Options
    Wow, I am lost (not knowing anything about purses) but I did laugh at the concept and the writing.

I am super excited, however, at the side article I noticed while reading about Fight Club...this lead to a linked article about Fight Club 2! ;)
    tor.com/blogs/2014/07/sdcc-2014-fightclub2
    How did I miss this?

You lost a purse but I found out an old friend is coming back to town. Thanks!

Ha ha! Ah, the power of HuffPo... glad you laughed at the piece. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm not going to stay anything about that book (Expecting, still available on Amazon). But I have a piece in Huffington Post today and I think it's really funny. Ladies might appreciate it more than guys. It's about purses.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-lewis-hamilton/about-a-purse_b_6439494.html

this is awesome!!!!!

awhile ( a while? Ms. Author? ) back, my better half ordered a cool ass leather (supposedly) cover for her iPad. OMG, that thing stank! She still has it.....it is closed around dryer sheets has been stored in the scented candles drawer for probably a year.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16