Options

TIME TO MOW THE LAWN

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    There is something about going out in my yard, for the 1st time of the season.
    Something about the smell of that fresh cut grass.
    Something about Spring/Summer.

Oh wait, I know what that something is!

I HATE MOWING THE FUCKING LAWN!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228

Ha. Mowed mine for the first time Sunday. My neighbor was doing his as well. Said to him "Beats shoveling snow". Much as I hate mowing the lawn, won't be complaining this summer.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

you un-american sonofabitch
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    no rain in the forecast today, should be a good evening to cut the lawn
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

We haven't mowed yet this year. Today was the first real spring day. I suppose summer weather is right around the corner :grin: Hubs said he wants to make an oasis of wildflowers out of the backyard, which I love! There will be little patches here and there, and there, to attract birds and butterflies and bees. It's gonna look gorgeous and we can add all kinds of fun stuff like shitty looking statues :lol: Later he told me that he loves the idea of not mowing a big lawn. I can live with that, totally. I cannot wait for the beautiful backyard wilderness. Front lawn will still need mowing, but that can be done with the thing that we have, the pusher thingy.

post some pictures of the wildflower oasis!
    I will, but it might be a while. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out a nice way to fight the mosquitoes without killing the birds. I have set up a couple of feeders and love watching the birds coming in. When I set them up, I didn't think about the mosquitoes (the winter was so long and I am not fully accomodated to the weather and seasons in the US yet). We don't have standing water and I think the birds will take care of some of them too. But then we have to find something. Last year, we tried garlic concentrate. But this is more like a barrier and there were too many. Any suggestions?
    Leeze, have you put up a bat house to try to encourage bats? They, supposedly, eat mosquitos. I was told marigolds are good bug repellants, but I think you would need to plant a few acres of them for any noticeable difference (unlike the 20 plants I planted).
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    my lawn is as brown or more as it normally is in august at this point. we need about a week's worth of rain over here....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Odd, mine looks better than it usually does. Really happy with it right now and I didn't do anything special.
    You got a bit of rain yesterday at least.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228

my lawn is as brown or more as it normally is in august at this point. we need about a week's worth of rain over here....

Mine is basically hay.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    SD48277 said:

We haven't mowed yet this year. Today was the first real spring day. I suppose summer weather is right around the corner :grin: Hubs said he wants to make an oasis of wildflowers out of the backyard, which I love! There will be little patches here and there, and there, to attract birds and butterflies and bees. It's gonna look gorgeous and we can add all kinds of fun stuff like shitty looking statues :lol: Later he told me that he loves the idea of not mowing a big lawn. I can live with that, totally. I cannot wait for the beautiful backyard wilderness. Front lawn will still need mowing, but that can be done with the thing that we have, the pusher thingy.

post some pictures of the wildflower oasis!
    I will, but it might be a while. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out a nice way to fight the mosquitoes without killing the birds. I have set up a couple of feeders and love watching the birds coming in. When I set them up, I didn't think about the mosquitoes (the winter was so long and I am not fully accomodated to the weather and seasons in the US yet). We don't have standing water and I think the birds will take care of some of them too. But then we have to find something. Last year, we tried garlic concentrate. But this is more like a barrier and there were too many. Any suggestions?
    Leeze, have you put up a bat house to try to encourage bats? They, supposedly, eat mosquitos. I was told marigolds are good bug repellants, but I think you would need to plant a few acres of them for any noticeable difference (unlike the 20 plants I planted).
    We have not set up a bat house, but I think we have a wren family in our bird nest box and I see the robin is super busy eating all kinds of things on the lawn. Also, we have a ton of toads. So far, I am surviving :lol:
  • Options

Odd, mine looks better than it usually does. Really happy with it right now and I didn't do anything special.
    You got a bit of rain yesterday at least.

Mine was in great shape up until about a week ago. Yeah yesterday helped but need a lot more. I haven't watered it yet strictly out of principle--it's not even June yet!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Just finished the first mow of the season. The yard looks beautiful. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I wish the neighbors would take care of their dandelions...my yard is free of them...for now.

Keep your puffy dandelion floaties to yourself...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    finally a few days worth of rain. my lawn is being brought back to life.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think there is any saving the lawn...probably will have to re-seed in the fall.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I don't think there is any saving the lawn...probably will have to re-seed in the fall.

Aren't you in Seattle? Not getting enough rain up there?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That time of year again.....I have the undocumenteds coming on Monday!

Should be due for my first MOW in a week or two perhaps.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Also--my damn dog. She tends to piss in one 4ft by 4ft area in the yard. Sounds good, right? No brown/yellow spots all over the place, right? No, this one spot is right off the deck. Right next to our garden. Worst possible spot. I hate it. Why can't she just go out in the back part of the yard to do her business? Same thing happened at our last house. So frustrating.

Planted grass there in the Fall. Totally brown again (this was a yearly thing at the last house too, except I laid sod instead of planting. Every year I'd do this and she'd piss all over it shortly after. Rinse and repeat!). I should've kept it fenced off from her over the winter.

So do I plant grass there again, or do I concede defeat?
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    If your dog insists on urinating there all the time, I would concede defeat. When we had a dog, she would urinate alongside our fence. Just meant less work with the weedeater for me!

There are supposed to be spot guard solutions (I've seen them in home improvement stores), but I don't know how effective they are.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Looks like I'll need to get out there next weekend to do some mowing. Not very enthusiastic about that :perturbed:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    our first dog went to "the rocks" everytime and then came back to the back door. our last two dogs, not so much.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    and, juggler? female pee is the worst.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

and, juggler? female pee is the worst.

I've only had female dogs. Is this right? I never knew there was a difference.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Company came last week for an estimate, should have dates soon. Keeps raining like this and the first mow will be before they get the yard in shape. Need to have some earth moved and a stump taken care of this year as well. Going to cost!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited March 2016
    green out there
    quite emerald
    cutting it will smell up all the lands here in a bit
    as will slowly grilling & smoking meats over apple, mesquite, cherry & hickory woods

life's a real bastard
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    mowed this weekend, re-seeded.

Some days I swear I want the fake grass turf.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Lawn culture is pretty nutty, the amount of money people spend on grass is nuttier than squirrel shit.
    If it isn't wackygrass it can do it's own thing. Be green, grow...that's about it. Lawns are weak ass ecosystems where people squeeze out every wild flower for an outdoor carpet.
    The only thing more American would be if people paved their back yards over lol

I have 2 acres of lawn which is an impediment to my time spent growing plants which provide sustenance for my family. Every year I squeeze more lawn out for perennials, brambles, and wildflowers to draw and sustain pollinators. Mow time goes down, food stores go up, and ecosystem thrives.

All that said, the smell of fresh cut grass and the mosquito reduction are two joys of mowing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    My house is bigger than my lawn...I spent so much time making sure the weeds were gone the first year we moved in...but the neighbors don't weed. So now I have weeds in the lawn.

I found a good natural solution to kill the weeds since there are too many to hand pull.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    rgambs said:

Lawn culture is pretty nutty, the amount of money people spend on grass is nuttier than squirrel shit.
    If it isn't wackygrass it can do it's own thing. Be green, grow...that's about it. Lawns are weak ass ecosystems where people squeeze out every wild flower for an outdoor carpet.

I have 2 acres of lawn which is an impediment to my time spent growing plants which provide sustenance for my family. Every year I squeeze more lawn out for perennials, brambles, and wildflowers to draw and sustain pollinators. Mow time goes down, food stores go up, and ecosystem thrives.

All that said, the smell of fresh cut grass and the mosquito reduction are two joys of mowing.

it appears 'penn & teller's' show 'bullshit' is not free on the old youtube. they did a episode on lawns. every year america spends as much as the entire national product of vietnam on lawns.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

rgambs said:

it appears 'penn & teller's' show 'bullshit' is not free on the old youtube. they did a episode on lawns. every year america spends as much as the entire national product of vietnam on lawns.
    Yowza!!! My neighbor goes nuts...fertilizer, herbicide, mow twice a week with the roller on the back to flatten patterns into the grass, repeat over and over...
    It's just grass. His meticulously cared for lawn just looks like a lawn.
    It's like a metaphor for American life, caring more for the appearance of a happy life than actually living a happy life...

I want to tell at him, USE YOUR FUCKING TIME AND ENERGY ON SOMETHING WORTHWHILE AND GROW SOME GODDAMN FOOD!
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

My house is bigger than my lawn...I spent so much time making sure the weeds were gone the first year we moved in...but the neighbors don't weed. So now I have weeds in the lawn.

I found a good natural solution to kill the weeds since there are too many to hand pull.

I don't get it, when I mow the weeds get mowed down with the grass...why do they need removed? 90% of them produce lovely flowers which feed the bugs of you let them get high enough, which doesn't happen if you mow.