Options

TIME TO MOW THE LAWN

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178

I don’t have a fresh one of the lawn, but manscaped all the trees and plants out back, which is way more work. I hate doing it so much. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    Add mookie to the 1%er club.

Juggler - I have the same railing (leading down your steps) on our front porch. It’s Trex and has been “weathering” for the past 13 years aka looking like shit. I painted it last week. Looks stellar, if I do say so myself.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

I don’t have a fresh one of the lawn, but manscaped all the trees and plants out back, which is way more work. I hate doing it so much. 
    Wow that is beautiful. I like the boxwoods in the planters there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Juggler - I have the same railing (leading down your steps) on our front porch. It’s Trex and has been “weathering” for the past 13 years aka looking like shit. I painted it last week. Looks stellar, if I do say so myself.
    We had the deck revamped when we got the pool last year and replaced the trex with fiberon. The trex was probably close to 20 years old (there when we moved in) and it was showing it's age. The fiberon is great but it gets so damn hot. I didn't realize you could paint that stuff? How about a picture, you jackass?

And fme, no it's not a AS. It's a local company. Only issue with that net is there's a hill behind it so we're always getting out to chase my wife's air balls lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    Wobbie said:

We had the deck revamped when we got the pool last year and replaced the trex with fiberon. The trex was probably close to 20 years old (there when we moved in) and it was showing it's age. The fiberon is great but it gets so damn hot. I didn't realize you could paint that stuff? How about a picture, you jackass?

And fme, no it's not a AS. It's a local company. Only issue with that net is there's a hill behind it so we're always getting out to chase my wife's air balls lol
    Yes, I have the 9 year old to get out and get the ones we miss.  When he says no I just want until he wants to play again and goes to get them

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Before and after. Painted all the trim, too (jackass). YOU have air balls!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wob that looks great. Good work!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

• Options

beautiful yard
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    I use my sprinklers all the time , fertilized but every year I continue to get these white patches. Any ideas what they are?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

• Options
    McGruff, has it been like this for a while now? My first thought was voles, but I don’t see tunnels, but if it’s been a while, the tunnels would’ve filled in and you’d be left with something like you have. 

It would probably be worth it to consult with a fertilizing/landscaping company who specializes in this, if you haven’t already. They can do a soil test and the cost would be minimal. 
  • Options

beautiful yard
    Thanks man. I give full credit to the non-stop rain. Haven’t run my sprinkler system in like 6 weeks.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I use my sprinklers all the time , fertilized but every year I continue to get these white patches. Any ideas what they are?

Actually, the more I look at it, it does like you can see old tunnels. You may have had voles at some point prior and they dug up the root system underneath your lawn. Sometimes it happens late fall and you may not notice it before growing season ends. 
  • Options
    I used to have voles but haven't seen the raised dirt that indicates their presence in a few years.  So there's tunnels under my grass and the grass dies because the roots don't have anywhere to go?  How do you fix this?  Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I used to have voles but haven't seen the raised dirt that indicates their presence in a few years.  So there's tunnels under my grass and the grass dies because the roots don't have anywhere to go?  How do you fix this?  Thanks for the feedback.
    You typically only have raised dirt with moles, with voles the damage is underneath. I had them really bad at my old house. Just have someone assess the exact chemicals you need and you should be able to get up and running in no time. It honestly will be worth the money. A couple hundred maybe. The white patches are because there is no grass growing underneath (I think). In the fall, septemberish. Have them do an over seeding and that will help replenish root system even more. 

Once your lawn gets re-established, peppermint spray is a safe and easy way to keep them away.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    I don't have sprinklers.  Only guy on my block not to.  Sometimes it looks ok.  Other times, not.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    If it’s not voles, it’s either grubs or fungus.
  • Options
    I just walked outside and it's definitely spongy under the bare spots.  So voles it is!  ugh.
  • Options
    So what do you do with the voles then?

My first thought was that it was a fungus or something...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    With voles, they will go away when you remove their feeding source (usually grubs). You can also try to trap them, but it’s expensive and that isn’t an option if you have pets. Peppermint spray is a good deterrent to use on the perimeter of your yard. 
  • Options
    Time to rake the leaves! It’s kind of Zen but I also kind of hate it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Time to rake the leaves! It’s kind of Zen but I also kind of hate it.
    I like blowing them all underneath the tree like so. Gonna have to dispose of them soon but I like this look. 
    (The grass, that's another story. I think there's a fungus or something happening down there)

chinese-happy.jpg