Options

TIME TO MOW THE LAWN

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    edited August 2014
    So my mower has been sputtering lately. I think I need to clean out the gas lines.
    Then it dies saturday.. yard was half mowed. So I took the whole damned thing apart, cleaned as much as I could. gas tank had some dirt in it. I put it all back together-- nice and shiny-- And...nothing!
    SO I did wha tI should have done FIRST. Got a new spark plug. Started right up. b-( duh.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    lol, that sucks.

I did that with my car one time way back when I had to work on my cars and I had a car old enough that I could work on it with a basic tool box.
    Ended up being a cable that connected to my battery terminal. ~X(
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    I used the sprinklers a bit this summer....about a few weeks it was pretty dry and browning out. yeah the rain we've gotten lately has been much needed. the front yard is a bit more brown than the back.

somewhat related note---been noticing more and more garden snakes in the yard and I keep finding these little snake holes popping up around the side of my house. anyone know if that is anything to be concerned about? I figure probably not, but it freaks me out a little. some of them are right next to the side of the house....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    I have no snakes here -- figure the cats, rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks or racoons must keep them at bay. I am not a snake lover I would try to find a way to get them to live in someone else's yard if they popped up.
    I do see some gopher holes and those could be snake holes now that I think about it. But they would be bigger snakes and I would have seen some by now.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Yikes, snakes would freak me out as well.
    We've got a big groundhog, lots of toads, and apparently a beehive, as Cav painfully discovered yesterday. He was mowing the lawn somewhere away from the house and they must have hated the disturbance and attacked him. He said they even followed him into the house image He got stung a couple of times, but thanksfully nothing else happened. That hive will have to be taken care of somehow. It's good that there are bees, but I don't like if they are that aggressive...

• Options
    ^^ Yes, I like bees but my wife and my brother are both allergic so I try to keep them away.
    Sucks for Cav!
  • Options
    Thank goodness he is not allergic, took it like a trooper. My mom is allergic to wasps, so I am always a little bit more careful around insects like that. The bees will be taken care of somehow. Maybe we can ask a beekeeper from the area to take them.
  • Options
    my neighbor says he has a family of skunks living under his shed right behind my yard. guy has no problem with it either. even says he has had to remove a few from his pool over the years. if that were me, I would have had animal control or someone remove those fuckers years ago. now i'm constantly thinking of my dog coming in contact with them when I let them out tonight. my friend's dog was sprayed once and it was such a horrible experience for them to get the smell out of his fur....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    oh that is the fucking worst. when I was a kid my dog got skunked once and we all paid the price. we tried all sorts of concoctions but she was out all day before we tried to get it out and no matter what we did she still smelled like shit/skunk. Probably was about 6 months before she smelled like good old, funky, dog.

At least this neighbor isnt shitting in your sandwiches at work but it still seems like you have crummy luck. Why would he not care about skunks living in his yard? Did they like going in his pool? (Hell, getting shit in your pool is a nightmare to clean as well.)

I might have to call animal control myself and have them relocate the skunks.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I killed my lawn...well, not on purpose, I just haven't watered it since uhhh...June, no need to now, only had to take out the weeds (how do those fuckers keep growing when it hasn't rained in forever?)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458

my neighbor says he has a family of skunks living under his shed right behind my yard. guy has no problem with it either. even says he has had to remove a few from his pool over the years. if that were me, I would have had animal control or someone remove those fuckers years ago. now i'm constantly thinking of my dog coming in contact with them when I let them out tonight. my friend's dog was sprayed once and it was such a horrible experience for them to get the smell out of his fur....

I work part time at a golf course....a skunk did its thing last Friday.....and the smell still lingers over a couple of holes.
    RKCNDY said:

I killed my lawn...well, not on purpose, I just haven't watered it since uhhh...June, no need to now, only had to take out the weeds (how do those fuckers keep growing when it hasn't rained in forever?)

are you happy with this? (pretty sure they don't have the correct smilie....kinda need the question guy, crossed with shifty and WTF)

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    imalive said:

are you happy with this? (pretty sure they don't have the correct smilie....kinda need the question guy, crossed with shifty and WTF)

Um...kind of. The weeds are easier to pull up as the ground is so dry there is nothing for them to hold on to, the junipers are also a bit easier to handle-I was able to pull out the rest of the dead branches. Also partially sawed into the main branches of another bush. Hopefully the weather will help kill it off. Then I can plant something prettier next spring-yay!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Um...kind of. The weeds are easier to pull up as the ground is so dry there is nothing for them to hold on to, the junipers are also a bit easier to handle-I was able to pull out the rest of the dead branches. Also partially sawed into the main branches of another bush. Hopefully the weather will help kill it off. Then I can plant something prettier next spring-yay!
    YAY!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Mowed the lawn today was careless and added a 30 minute pool cleaning to clean the grass out the ended up in the pool. Over mowing lol but it beats shoveling!
  • Options

Mowed the lawn today was careless and added a 30 minute pool cleaning to clean the grass out the ended up in the pool. Over mowing lol but it beats shoveling!

my wife and i were saying this would be the perfect kind of day to have a pool.....if you don't mind me asking, how much do you think you spend on it per month with the added electricity cost, water, cleaning shit, etc etc etc? do you have someone open and close it for you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Monthly cost it tough to total given the central ac runs the same months as the pool is in use. I would estimate probably $400 per month with weekly maintenance visits increased power and gas when we heat the pool and the water. Opening and closing is a separate cost and is probably about the same amount as a monthly spend. So 400 each.
    We keep open for 6 months so estimated 2400 plus opening/closing of 800 for yearly total of 3200. Really for how much we used it last year it was very much worth it....this year with us having a baby we used it much less but next year I'm sure we will be back to using it daily again.
    You could really reduce those costs if you learn to open/close/maintain yourselves.
    The woman who sold us the house has her paperwork for everything that she did and we were stunned to look through after we bought the house and see that they spent almost 50,000 to build the pool and make the landscape /fencing around it. Totally crazy costs and while we love having the pool I would never cough up that lump sum to build. Sure you can also get this much cheaper....they went high end on everything they added to this place
    Family loves it more than we do ....every holidayapril through September we have 20 people over here.
  • Options

my wife and i were saying this would be the perfect kind of day to have a pool.....if you don't mind me asking, how much do you think you spend on it per month with the added electricity cost, water, cleaning shit, etc etc etc? do you have someone open and close it for you?
    Dude......much like a boat owner.....two happiest days? Day the pool was finished and day I sold the house with the fucking pool.

They gouge you so fucking bad at pool stores. My wife went to replace the auto fill float....they had taken a six dollar toilet float out of the box, thrown away some parts, put in in their own plastic bag and marked it up to $89.95. When I called them on it, the fuckers gave me a "yeah, so?" look.

stick with perfecting your mowing.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Agree that if shit breaks it is expensive. Added it to my home warranty for an additional $100 this year and repairs cost enough that I was comfortable adding that money as a potential 'piss away' of funds in the event something major happened.
    If you have some extra scratch I say 'Yes' to the pool.
    When we looked for homes I didnt want and my wife and nephew did. Found the home we all loved and it happened to have a pool.
    I absolutely loved it and used it 5 days a week last year when it was open and if I was in town.

Makes me sad to look in my back yard during the winter and see the giant pool cover taking up the center of the yard and all of the leaves off the many trees/bushes.

I changed my mind -- happy to mow the lawn -- stay away winter!!
  • Options

Monthly cost it tough to total given the central ac runs the same months as the pool is in use. I would estimate probably $400 per month with weekly maintenance visits increased power and gas when we heat the pool and the water. Opening and closing is a separate cost and is probably about the same amount as a monthly spend. So 400 each.
    We keep open for 6 months so estimated 2400 plus opening/closing of 800 for yearly total of 3200. Really for how much we used it last year it was very much worth it....this year with us having a baby we used it much less but next year I'm sure we will be back to using it daily again.
    You could really reduce those costs if you learn to open/close/maintain yourselves.
    The woman who sold us the house has her paperwork for everything that she did and we were stunned to look through after we bought the house and see that they spent almost 50,000 to build the pool and make the landscape /fencing around it. Totally crazy costs and while we love having the pool I would never cough up that lump sum to build. Sure you can also get this much cheaper....they went high end on everything they added to this place
    Family loves it more than we do ....every holidayapril through September we have 20 people over here.

jesus man.....that's gotta be some cool ass pool. if we were to get one (we're not, it's basically my wife's fantasy-haha) it would be of the 25k-ish variety.

yeah when we were looking at houses, it was kind of the same situation with my wife really, really wanting one. i didn't really care either way but didn't really want the added expense/workload (i'm also assuming your hoi premium is higher with the pool, too, right?) however if the house we both liked had one, we probably would have gotten it.

actually i wouldn't mind just getting a hot tub but the wife is not a fan of them....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hot Tub is the best part but it is attached to the pool so it is not open year round. Before we found out my wife was pregnant last year we planned on putting another hot tub on the deck coming off from our bedroom upstairs so we would have one to use in the winter...but now the baby is here and that money is spent.
    Drunken hot tub was one of my favorite things last year -- I am sure it was one of my neighbors' least favorite things however. You get in there and with the bubbles going you cant hear shit so the music was cranking.
    The crazy part of the pool build out was the extra costs.
    $35k for the pool, almost $15k for associated shit. The city permit in Cherry Hill to do the construction was over $700.
    The pool isnt that cool, it is a nice pool but I have seen less and I have seen more.
    No diving board and now that I wanted to add one it is against code. Bastards.
  • Options
    $3200??????

In Vegas, there was no opening or closing....it just sat all winter.....I changed the water twice in 16 years....acid washed it once, myself....basically just paid a bit higher electric bill for the pump and paid for chemicals.

my dog used it daily. :))

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There was a hottub in the house when we purchased it. It looks pretty rad. There is a room built around it, the Florida room. We decided to keep it. I have never sat in a hottub. It is one for 4 to 5 people and I cannot wait to try it out. The Florida room goes towards the back of the house and at the end of the property there is a cemetery. It's gonna be so cool to sit in that thing with a couple of drinks, spinning old LPs and just ending the day in a relaxed, peaceful manner... If it works. God, I hope it works.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options

There was a hottub in the house when we purchased it. It looks pretty rad. There is a room built around it, the Florida room. We decided to keep it. I have never sat in a hottub. It is one for 4 to 5 people and I cannot wait to try it out. The Florida room goes towards the back of the house and at the end of the property there is a cemetery. It's gonna be so cool to sit in that thing with a couple of drinks, spinning old LPs and just ending the day in a relaxed, peaceful manner... If it works. God, I hope it works.

wait....you have a cemetery on your property?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Awesome, congrats!!
    I have the same reaction as Juggler though.....you have a boneyard in your back yard? Can you sit in the hot tube, get mangled and watch the ghosts come out? Cool!! :)

• Options
    Haha, maybe I described it not correctly. The cemetery is at one end line of our property. It is not on our property, they are our neighbours, so to speak. And I think it is even for sale image We should try to buy it.
  • Options
    You have quiet neighbors!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited September 2014
    http://news.msn.com/videos?videoid=0f990c7d-fcad-6700-606e-3b0b330ae83f&ap=True&ocid=OutP&from=OutP&FORM=BWVOLC

dried up & done
    better paint your land or put up a desert or put up $20,000 fake green plastic or whatever it is in your yards. juggler or anyone have any thoughts?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

http://news.msn.com/videos?videoid=0f990c7d-fcad-6700-606e-3b0b330ae83f&ap=True&ocid=OutP&from=OutP&FORM=BWVOLC

dried up & done
    better paint your land or put up a desert or put up $20,000 fake green plastic or whatever it is in your yards. juggler or anyone have any thoughts?

turf or painting it is stupid....if i live there, i'd go with rocks primarily. that's what people do down the shore here in jersey.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited September 2014
    "gotta go paint the silly ass ground, hunny. talk to you after a bit. hey, by the way, maybe you can whip us up a couple sandwiches & ice teas real quick? love ya, toots" - jugs

for those ppl that actually do have a painted up yards... damn. again im confused as shit.
    i wonder if that stuff is extra flammable? :D
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

and at the end of the property there is a cemetery. It's gonna be so cool to sit in that thing with a couple of drinks,

YEAH BABY! 8-X