Options

Canadian Politics

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited December 2013 in A Moving Train
Canadian Federal Budget...today

I guess it will be official the retirement age will go from 65 to 67 in order to collect old age security...very sad because this will really only effect low income earners working in labor intensive jobs who really need to retire...imo, even though many of the experts agree the same results can be gained by lowering the threshold from a 100 grand to 60 grand...its ridiculous that someone with retirement income of 100 rand can collect OAS...this program should be for the seniors most in need.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/29 ... face-cuts/
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it depends on when the cut off is ...

interesting time in cdn politics ... robocalls, new ndp leader, federal budget, etc ...
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    I don't know 67 sounds reasonable to me. I mean doing a quick google search the age has been 65 years old since the the late 1960's. And a person today who reaches 65 years old is probably in a lot better shape and a lot healthier than a person at 65 in 1968. So why shouldn't they work a little bit longer?
  • Options
    I don't know 67 sounds reasonable to me. I mean doing a quick google search the age has been 65 years old since the the late 1960's. And a person today who reaches 65 years old is probably in a lot better shape and a lot healthier than a person at 65 in 1968. So why shouldn't they work a little bit longer?

sorry but 67 will only effect the lower middle class and working poor...the exact people that will have a tough time working past 65...many have been in labor intensive jobs most of their lives.

Most experts I saw said lower the threshold...

that's the thing we are living longer...but who is living longer...they've never broken it down into specific categories (or any that I've seen). It would not surprise me if the lower middle class and working poor have a lower life expectancy than those better off.

why doesn't the feds lead by example and get rid of those MP pensions.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    i heard there were cuts to the pension or was it just a pay freeze ... can't remember ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    i heard there were cuts to the pension or was it just a pay freeze ... can't remember ...

MPs' gold-plated pensions untouched by budget, no change before next election

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada ... 57165.html

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

dude ... what would it take to make this gov't fall!? ... i don't want to get into how suck-ass the liberals are now ... but what would make the people that vote for these conservatives change their vote ... i mean they've gone back on basically everything they've said ... there is no doubt they cheated in this election and don't forget that they already admitted to cheating in the previous one ... the negative commercials they are putting on 3 years before any possible election!?? ... and everything else they've done ... if this was any other party - they'd be done for ... yet the conservatives still have a loyal following ... what would it take?
  • Options
    I can't believe the provinces are not getting together.

Many things to be concerned about...

health care funding in the future
    the cost of the crime bill will put on provinces
    retirement age at 67 will force many on to welfare rolls who are unable to work
    the increasing of limits for cross border shopping could hurt small business'
    but the absolute one thing that Harper is doing that Ontario should absolutely be concerned about is entering free trade with Japan...as of now the Japanese Auto Manufacturers pay 6% tariffs to bring cars in...eliminate that tariff and I see their plants in Ontario closing at some point.

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    lukin2006 wrote:

sorry but 67 will only effect the lower middle class and working poor...the exact people that will have a tough time working past 65...many have been in labor intensive jobs most of their lives.

I am not sure but from some quick searching it looks like the new budget only changes OAS, it doesn't touch the Canada Pension Plan, which you can start taking once you turn 60 I think. so if someone wants to retire at 65 they still can and take their CPP money, they just have to wait 2 years before they get their OAS money.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

dude ... what would it take to make this gov't fall!? ... i don't want to get into how suck-ass the liberals are now ... but what would make the people that vote for these conservatives change their vote ... i mean they've gone back on basically everything they've said ... there is no doubt they cheated in this election and don't forget that they already admitted to cheating in the previous one ... the negative commercials they are putting on 3 years before any possible election!?? ... and everything else they've done ... if this was any other party - they'd be done for ... yet the conservatives still have a loyal following ... what would it take?

Great question. I do not not know. Truthfully and maybe I'm crazy but I really started to think that Jack Layton had a real shot in the next election...people really liked Jack...

I have read that it's possible under the NDP's new leader that they could win the next election. He is a former Liberal so I suspect he'll take them more to the center and they'll replace the liberals.

Sometimes I wonder if far to many people take the attitude that "your better off with the devil you know, than the devil you don't know".

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I am not sure but from some quick searching it looks like the new budget only changes OAS, it doesn't touch the Canada Pension Plan, which you can start taking once you turn 60 I think. so if someone wants to retire at 65 they still can and take their CPP money, they just have to wait 2 years before they get their OAS money.

but if you are at the lower end of the income bracket then your CPP is not very good to begin with so that OAS is much needed.

• Options
    I don't like the changes to OAS...I think their are other ways to achieve the goal...why always punish the most vulnerable...where suppose to be advancing as a society...but it seems like we are headed backwards.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Great question. I do not not know. Truthfully and maybe I'm crazy but I really started to think that Jack Layton had a real shot in the next election...people really liked Jack...

I have read that it's possible under the NDP's new leader that they could win the next election. He is a former Liberal so I suspect he'll take them more to the center and they'll replace the liberals.

Sometimes I wonder if far to many people take the attitude that "your better off with the devil you know, than the devil you don't know".

Mulcair....this is concerning to me...the NDP should not be the new Liberal party...they should not be moving more to the centre. The whole political landscape continues to slide to the right.
    from cjpme.org :

Jury still out concerning Mulcair’s social-democrat credentials

Montreal, March 20, 2012 — As revealed in two recent analyses, Thomas Mulcair’s bid for the
    NDP leadership has attracted support from various corporate figures typically hostile to NDP
    policies. In two analyses, one by Canadian Peace Alliance co-chair Derrick O’Keefe, and the other
    by Independent Jewish Voices, it was revealed that prominent corporate leaders had donated
    generously to Mulcair’s leadership campaign. Among those figures are billionaire Gerald Schwartz
    (CEO, Onex Corporation), Anthony Munk (Barrick Gold Corporation, Onex Corporation), Seth
    Mersky (Onex), David Mansell (Onex), Andrew Sheiner (Onex), John Sherrington (VP, Scotia
    Capital), Richard Venn (Executive VP, CIBC World Markets), and Daniel Daviau (Canaccord
    Financial Inc.) Schwartz and other Onex executives are known to have close ties to the
    Conservative Party.
    Although leadership bid donations from the well-heeled are not unheard of even in the NDP, it is
    unusual that such a large cluster of senior figures from Canada’s corporate elite are backing
    Mulcair. Such a phalanx of corporate supporters elicits questions as to Mulcair’s willingness to
    ardently defend social democratic principles and values. Mulcair’s credentials as a social democrat
    were already suspect, following revelations that he had considered joining the Federal
    Conservatives at the same time that he was negotiating his move to the Federal NDP. Former party
    leader Ed Broadbent recently questioned the direction Mulcair will lead the party, including his
    ability to build a cohesive team. Broadbent pointed out that 90 percent of the caucus colleagues
    who worked with Mulcair in the 2008-11 period are supporting other candidates in the current
    leadership race.
    Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East (CJPME) urges NDP members to scrutinize the
    positions of the leadership candidates, not only on the Middle East, but in other areas as well. “On a
    number of issues, the NDP has frequently brought positive pressure on past governments because of
    its foundation of principles. It would be tragic indeed if the new leader – whether Mulcair or
    someone else – chose to depart from those core values,” says CJPME President Thomas Woodley.
    CJPME points out how ironic it would be if the NDP were to be led by a person who seems to have
    won the loyalty of Canada’s wealthiest 1 percent, just as, for the first time in history, a groundswell
    of popular support has put the NDP into the Official Opposition.
    CJPME notes that the NDP has plenty of political room to defend its long-standing policies on the
    Middle East. Polling done in Canada by the BBC, for example, revealed that the percentage of
    Canadians who believe that Canada should support Palestine’s admission to the UN is about twice
    as high as the percentage who would oppose such a move. CJPME believes that the NDP, and
    Canada’s other parties, must insist that all countries—including Israel—respect international law.
  • Options
    The only way they will ever get elected into power is by moving to the center ... I would think now is the time --- the liberals are a mess and the NDP can fill the void ... he can't be worse than what we got right now ... can he?

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

mulclair ran provincially liberal because in quebec there is no ndp party ... the progressive party would be the PQ but they are a separatist party ...
  • Options
    i will reserve judgement on mulclair ... i think the party has strong leadership and members including pretty much all of the leading leadership hopefuls ... they will hopefully keep him in check ...

i definitely do not think the party needs to move to the centre ... the reason why they are at 102 seats or whatever it is is because they are not a centrist party ... quebecers voted for the ndp because of jack and the party's progressive stance on issues ...

155 seats is not that far off ... i think if the ndp can demonstrate that they can lead ... the progressive vote will go to the ndp ... just think about how many people didn't vote for the ndp (even tho they wanted to) because of the stigma that they had no chance of ever winning ... well, they have 3 years to show they can win and that they can govern ... if they show that - they don't need to capitulate to anyone ...

ultimately, our first priority has to be honest gov't ... we haven't had that for a loooong time now ...
  • Options
    I guess it’s the idealist in me that protests the NDP filling a Liberal void. Let the Libs fill their own void…the last election showed that a lot of previous Lib supporters were willing to move further left to NDP ideological ground…voting for largely inexperienced MP’s was a value statement. I don’t think that is only a counter to Con power, but a testament to the fact that the Libs have moved too far right, pandering to the right in order to maintain their boy’s club status. The NDP doing the same only brings us closer to a merger, and essentially a two-party system. We need the NDP as a strong leftist voice to counter the Cons, or we are only doing them a favour…. in the big picture that’s a negative for Canada.
    At the same time…I have to agree that the old ABC (anyone but cons) theory still stands.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    i will reserve judgement on mulclair ... i think the party has strong leadership and members including pretty much all of the leading leadership hopefuls ... they will hopefully keep him in check ...

i definitely do not think the party needs to move to the centre ... the reason why they are at 102 seats or whatever it is is because they are not a centrist party ... quebecers voted for the ndp because of jack and the party's progressive stance on issues ...

155 seats is not that far off ... i think if the ndp can demonstrate that they can lead ... the progressive vote will go to the ndp ... just think about how many people didn't vote for the ndp (even tho they wanted to) because of the stigma that they had no chance of ever winning ... well, they have 3 years to show they can win and that they can govern ... if they show that - they don't need to capitulate to anyone ...

ultimately, our first priority has to be honest gov't ... we haven't had that for a loooong time now ...
    all good points.
  • Options
    Canadians under 54 will have to wait longer to get old age pension: budget

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/29 ... on-budget/

Excellent...discusses some of the points I've already brought and answers those points.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Excellent...discusses some of the points I've already brought and answers those points.

i agree with many of your points that this will affect those blue collar workers ... and what the cuss does it mean that the mp pension plan won't take into affect until the next parliament!? ...

honestly, what i would love to know is if we didn't make those huge cuts, mainly gst, would we be in defecit now and what would the implications have been to the economy? ... all i know is we were running routine $10 billion surpluses while paying down our national debt under the right wing liberals ... now, we have an even further right wing party cutting all kinds of taxes and we are running defecits ... i know the economy took a downturn but that was what our surplus was for ... but we killed that surplus before we got to the financial crisis and now it's pooched ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i agree with many of your points that this will affect those blue collar workers ... and what the cuss does it mean that the mp pension plan won't take into affect until the next parliament!? ...

honestly, what i would love to know is if we didn't make those huge cuts, mainly gst, would we be in defecit now and what would the implications have been to the economy? ... all i know is we were running routine $10 billion surpluses while paying down our national debt under the right wing liberals ... now, we have an even further right wing party cutting all kinds of taxes and we are running defecits ... i know the economy took a downturn but that was what our surplus was for ... but we killed that surplus before we got to the financial crisis and now it's pooched ...

I think if the GST was left alone we'd be fine or at least in much better shape. Really don't see much difference whether it's 5% or 7%, so why not just leave it at 7%...and your right they squandered away a huge surplus.

When he was reform party MP he was griping about MP pensions...now that he can do something about it he does nothing...but has no problem messing with others pensions...what a tool.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I think if the GST was left alone we'd be fine or at least in much better shape. Really don't see much difference whether it's 5% or 7%, so why not just leave it at 7%...and your right they squandered away a huge surplus.

When he was reform party MP he was griping about MP pensions...now that he can do something about it he does nothing...but has no problem messing with others pensions...what a tool.

those fuckers are all two-faced ... senate reform and accountability being the two most egregious acts ... but as long as they spend their time talking shit about people ... their supporters are content ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

those fuckers are all two-faced ... senate reform and accountability being the two most egregious acts ... but as long as they spend their time talking shit about people ... their supporters are content ...

I don't understand their supporters or supporters of any political party...if your party is not doing whats right then why still support it, that just baffles me.

And as far as I'm concerned he did not campaign on raising the age of OAS...so issues like this either should be put to too a referendum or on hold to the next election...I really feel for folks that will be needing to rely on OAS and GIS just have try and have a dignified retirement.

I wrote my local MP Mr. Comartin, NDP expressing my concern and seeing if the NDP would lower it if in power. I wonder if this is the type of issue that could get them over the top...I hope...I really don't like the liberals...I was starting to like the NDP under Jack and I really like our local NDP MP.

Just for the record raising the retirement age to 67 does not effect when I retire but it does effect family members...many who are in labor intensive jobs...just ridiculous.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I don't understand their supporters or supporters of any political party...if your party is not doing whats right then why still support it, that just baffles me.
    Nooooooo shit. Picking a team and sticking with it totally defeats the purpose of democracy imho....our job is to be critical of all of them.

You guys familiar with Democracy Watch? http://www.dwatch.ca
    I think their honesty in politics campaign is something worth getting behind....
    The site has some great information regarding accountability in Canadian politics; it's critical of ALL parties.
    The NDP are no better than the Cons when broken down in an accountability report-card.....of course, the Cons having a majority makes their poor score more damaging.

Party.............Overall Grade.......Dishonesty Downgrade
    Green Party.............B-........................C-
    Bloc Québécois..........C-........................D-
    Cons......................F..........................I
    Liberal Party.............F..........................I
    NDP.......................F..........................I
    * Dishonesty Downgrade applied because past performance of all parties shows that they usually break half their promises, and the lack of an honesty-in-politics law means they can't be held accountable.

Here's the Cons 2011 report card:
    http://dwatch.ca/camp/RelsDec1211.html
    (if you go to the article, each item has a clickable link to more information on how it was graded)

I. Honest, Ethical Government Measures E
    1. Requiring honesty-in-politics F
    2. Strengthening ethics standards . . . and ethics enforcement E
    3. Making the political donations system democratic D-
    4. Closing down the revolving door D-
    II. Open Government Measures E-
    5. Strengthening access-to-information system E-
    6. Exposing behind-closed-door communications E-
    7. Strengthening lobbying disclosure and ethics, and the enforcement system E-
    III. Efficient Government Measures B
    8. Strengthening spending rules, and powers of Auditor General/other enforcement bodies B
    IV. Representative, Citizen-Driven Government Measures E
    9. Increasing meaningful public consultation E-
    10. Restricting power of Cabinet to make appointments E-
    11. Making the Senate democratic or abolish it D
    12. Ensuring free, fair and representative elections D
    V. General Government Accountability Measures E
    13. Facilitating citizen watchdog groups over government I
    14. Ensuring effective whistleblower protection D
    15. Ensuring loophole free laws and strong penalties for wrongdoers C
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    lukin2006 wrote:

Nooooooo shit. Picking a team and sticking with it totally defeats the purpose of democracy imho....our job is to be critical of all of them.

You guys familiar with Democracy Watch? http://www.dwatch.ca
    I think their honesty in politics campaign is something worth getting behind....
    The site has some great information regarding accountability in Canadian politics; it's critical of ALL parties.
    The NDP are no better than the Cons when broken down in an accountability report-card.....of course, the Cons having a majority makes their poor score more damaging.

Party.............Overall Grade.......Dishonesty Downgrade
    Green Party.............B-........................C-
    Bloc Québécois..........C-........................D-
    Cons......................F..........................I
    Liberal Party.............F..........................I
    NDP.......................F..........................I
    * Dishonesty Downgrade applied because past performance of all parties shows that they usually break half their promises, and the lack of an honesty-in-politics law means they can't be held accountable.

Here's the Cons 2011 report card:
    http://dwatch.ca/camp/RelsDec1211.html
    (if you go to the article, each item has a clickable link to more information on how it was graded)

I. Honest, Ethical Government Measures E
    1. Requiring honesty-in-politics F
    2. Strengthening ethics standards . . . and ethics enforcement E
    3. Making the political donations system democratic D-
    4. Closing down the revolving door D-
    II. Open Government Measures E-
    5. Strengthening access-to-information system E-
    6. Exposing behind-closed-door communications E-
    7. Strengthening lobbying disclosure and ethics, and the enforcement system E-
    III. Efficient Government Measures B
    8. Strengthening spending rules, and powers of Auditor General/other enforcement bodies B
    IV. Representative, Citizen-Driven Government Measures E
    9. Increasing meaningful public consultation E-
    10. Restricting power of Cabinet to make appointments E-
    11. Making the Senate democratic or abolish it D
    12. Ensuring free, fair and representative elections D
    V. General Government Accountability Measures E
    13. Facilitating citizen watchdog groups over government I
    14. Ensuring effective whistleblower protection D
    15. Ensuring loophole free laws and strong penalties for wrongdoers C

Curious how the federal NDP and Green party can even get a grade? Neither have ever formed government.
  • Options
    dignin wrote:

Curious how the federal NDP and Green party can even get a grade? Neither have ever formed government.
    The multi-party report card (Report Card on Federal Parties' Good Government Platforms) is based on election platforms. The "Good Government Report Card" is specific to the party in power. They def could have titled the reports differently, and been more clear on the difference between the two.
  • Options
    Well I don't think there is such a thing as good government anymore...politicians today are the perfect example of selfishness...I sent off an email to my local MP who happens to be an NDP, voicing my unhappiness over the raising of OAS to 67 and asked 2 specific questions...

1. if your party can form the next government will you lower the age back to 65?

2. will your party raise the issue in the house of commons as to "why the government feels it's all right to make changes to others pensions but refuses to address the issue of your gold plated pensions"?

no response on either question...

2 pretty simple questions...and would not answer them.

Voting is a complete waste of time...all political parties are scams...only interested in serving themselves and their lobbyist.

It seems to me that maybe the last really good politician was Tommy Douglas...since then I'm not so sure we've had any worthy to mention...sad, very sad.

• Options
    Peter MacKay has known about $25B price tag for F-35s since 2010

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/08 ... er-mackay/

Surprise, Surprise!!!

• Options
    Ottawa killed Katimavik – and missed boat on youth jobs strategy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... nt=2395726

but we'll spend 25 billion on jets and potentially 15 billion on a crime bill. The waste this governments going to commit will likely dwarf anything the previous liberals did.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Ottawa killed Katimavik – and missed boat on youth jobs strategy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... nt=2395726

but we'll spend 25 billion on jets and potentially 15 billion on a crime bill. The waste this governments going to commit will likely dwarf anything the previous liberals did.

the thing is ... it's not "waste" ... it follows the same pattern as what Harris did ... he is paying off his supporters ... the people that got him elected ...
  • Options
    What's not waste? What Harper is doing? Every government waste money! That's the problem they waste taxpayers money, and when they do it there is no accountability.

Every political party pays off its supporters when elected. The difference this time is Harpers supporters are from business and the west.

McGuinty when elected has spent the last 8 years sweetening the pot of the teachers and other public sector unions.

I suspect if a green party formed government they would funnel grants and tax breaks toward environmental causes.

This is exactly why I don't vote...they all want to form government and tell us they want to represent all Canadians, but when elected they only really represent their supporters.

I know I'll never see a day when a party represents all voters...whether they voted for them or not.

The politics of this country is broken and has been for decades.

This discussion has been closed.