Options

Canadian Politics

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    What's not waste? What Harper is doing? Every government waste money! That's the problem they waste taxpayers money, and when they do it there is no accountability.

Every political party pays off its supporters when elected. The difference this time is Harpers supporters are from business and the west.

McGuinty when elected has spent the last 8 years sweetening the pot of the teachers and other public sector unions.

I suspect if a green party formed government they would funnel grants and tax breaks toward environmental causes.

This is exactly why I don't vote...they all want to form government and tell us they want to represent all Canadians, but when elected they only really represent their supporters.

I know I'll never see a day when a party represents all voters...whether they voted for them or not.

The politics of this country is broken and has been for decades.

Waste denotes inefficient spending - which is subject to opinion. You may consider a particular expenditure waste while others do not.

At the end of the day - we need honest and transparent gov't.

I think its normal to consider all parties to be the same but I like to think that is not the case. Obviously, the Liberals and Conservatives are very similar and I really don't know about the NDP. They've never been given the chance. I do think that if the Green Party was in power and they did give out huge tax breaks to certain agencies - the motive would be to enact positive change on that front. As opposed to the liberals/conservatives who do it just to give these groups profit and money.

I think it's easy to be disenfranchised with the process but I don't think it's fair right now to lump all the parties as the same.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    What's not waste? What Harper is doing? Every government waste money! That's the problem they waste taxpayers money, and when they do it there is no accountability.

Every political party pays off its supporters when elected. The difference this time is Harpers supporters are from business and the west.

McGuinty when elected has spent the last 8 years sweetening the pot of the teachers and other public sector unions.

I suspect if a green party formed government they would funnel grants and tax breaks toward environmental causes.

This is exactly why I don't vote...they all want to form government and tell us they want to represent all Canadians, but when elected they only really represent their supporters.

I know I'll never see a day when a party represents all voters...whether they voted for them or not.

While I understand what your saying, i think we also have to agree that it is impossible for a party to represent all voters and I don't know how that would look like if we tried.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

While I understand what your saying, i think we also have to agree that it is impossible for a party to represent all voters and I don't know how that would look like if we tried.

so you don't think anyone can be elected who offers a fair and balanced approach to government? you may be right. I however, would like to still think its possible. As of now under our political system, this is not possible. First thing I'd like to see is all lobbying banned. Next I would love to an independent agency set up that must approve all political advertising before it airs (getting rid of attack ads), this would also include government in power ads paid by the taxpayer...of course i've made it no secret that I believe all major items should be decided via a referendum. just as a start. Politics need to start evolving, the system needs to change, what we have in this country is far from a democracy...I don't consider the right to decide the lesser of 4-5-6 evils a real democracy.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Waste denotes inefficient spending - which is subject to opinion. You may consider a particular expenditure waste while others do not.

At the end of the day - we need honest and transparent gov't.

I think its normal to consider all parties to be the same but I like to think that is not the case. Obviously, the Liberals and Conservatives are very similar and I really don't know about the NDP. They've never been given the chance. I do think that if the Green Party was in power and they did give out huge tax breaks to certain agencies - the motive would be to enact positive change on that front. As opposed to the liberals/conservatives who do it just to give these groups profit and money.

I think it's easy to be disenfranchised with the process but I don't think it's fair right now to lump all the parties as the same.

This is true...but to tell me we can't afford OAS and GIS until people turn 67 is BS when they want to spend 25 billion on jets without an open bidding process, spend how many billions on a crime bill and more prisons...etc.

Your right about the NDP...but i asked my local NDP MP 2 questions..."if you form a government in the future will you return the age to 65"? and "why is it all alright to attack others pensions and not address MP's gold plated pension"? the response I got was more or less a standard "I'm disappointed in the budget letter". My 2 questions were not answered...this is exactly why i will continue to lump all parties together.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

so you don't think anyone can be elected who offers a fair and balanced approach to government? you may be right. I however, would like to still think its possible. As of now under our political system, this is not possible. First thing I'd like to see is all lobbying banned. Next I would love to an independent agency set up that must approve all political advertising before it airs (getting rid of attack ads), this would also include government in power ads paid by the taxpayer...of course i've made it no secret that I believe all major items should be decided via a referendum. just as a start. Politics need to start evolving, the system needs to change, what we have in this country is far from a democracy...I don't consider the right to decide the lesser of 4-5-6 evils a real democracy.

I think voters have a different view of what is fair and balanced. I remember having a debate with a friend about the mayor of Toronto and he was telling me that he can't understand how anyone could have voted for him. I told him that the reason he won was because he was able to get the anger of people who have felt that they have not been listen to.

2nd, when you say ban lobbying, what do you mean? I work for a non profit charity who helsp people living with HIV and i can tell you that we do lobby and the reason is that we feel that the government doesn't know about the issues that we are dealing with. I would hate to see what would happen if we were not able to lobby.

I agree about the attack ads but then you might have an issue around who is going to judge what is an attack ad and what is not.

as for the referendum, i would love to see that but I think that Canadians have to become more involved in the political process and I don't think we are. the greatest threat to democracy is voter apathy.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:

I think voters have a different view of what is fair and balanced. I remember having a debate with a friend about the mayor of Toronto and he was telling me that he can't understand how anyone could have voted for him. I told him that the reason he won was because he was able to get the anger of people who have felt that they have not been listen to.

2nd, when you say ban lobbying, what do you mean? I work for a non profit charity who helsp people living with HIV and i can tell you that we do lobby and the reason is that we feel that the government doesn't know about the issues that we are dealing with. I would hate to see what would happen if we were not able to lobby.

I agree about the attack ads but then you might have an issue around who is going to judge what is an attack ad and what is not.

as for the referendum, i would love to see that but I think that Canadians have to become more involved in the political process and I don't think we are. the greatest threat to democracy is voter apathy.

Canadians would be more involved if they had more say...

Ban all lobbying...absolutely...sorry lobbying is corrupting the government from making the right choice's.

and when you guys lobby do you fill the politicians pockets to get them to support your view?

thats the lobbying i'm talking about.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    This is true...but to tell me we can't afford OAS and GIS until people turn 67 is BS when they want to spend 25 billion on jets without an open bidding process, spend how many billions on a crime bill and more prisons...etc.

Your right about the NDP...but i asked my local NDP MP 2 questions..."if you form a government in the future will you return the age to 65"? and "why is it all alright to attack others pensions and not address MP's gold plated pension"? the response I got was more or less a standard "I'm disappointed in the budget letter". My 2 questions were not answered...this is exactly why i will continue to lump all parties together.

oh ... i agree that the budgeting is fucked ...

also, that was a piss-poor response ... and i'm not trying to say it will be better for sure ... but i do feel that there is more integrity in certain parties over others ...
  • Options

as for the referendum, i would love to see that but I think that Canadians have to become more involved in the political process and I don't think we are. the greatest threat to democracy is voter apathy.[/quote]

Canadians would be more involved if they had more say...

Ban all lobbying...absolutely...sorry lobbying is corrupting the government from making the right choice's.

and when you guys lobby do you fill the politicians pockets to get them to support your view?

thats the lobbying i'm talking about.[/quote]

I think we will have to agree to disgaree about your first point. I just don't see Canadians being very political.

as for point 2 and 4. i think there is a difference between lobbying and bribing. bribing should be stopped and people arrested for it. lobbying doesn't always corrupt the government from making the right choices. sometimes it helps the government in making a better choice
  • Options
    it's all about open, honest and transparent gov't ... i have no problem with lobbyists as long as our elected officials are making informed decisions in the interests of the people ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

oh ... i agree that the budgeting is fucked ...

also, that was a piss-poor response ... and i'm not trying to say it will be better for sure ... but i do feel that there is more integrity in certain parties over others ...

well maybe the green party is the solution or maybe its time we have proportional representation...I dunno, I do know this, the current system is not working.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    well maybe the green party is the solution or maybe its time we have proportional representation...I dunno, I do know this, the current system is not working.

agreed ... definitely in favour of proportional representation ... but the single biggest thing we need is what you are: a critically thinking engaged citizen ...

obviously, we would never find 100% consensus but the reality is that so many people a) don't vote or b) vote based strictly on partisanship ... we do not hold politicians accountable and i'm sorry but conservatives are the worst at that ... look what WE did to the liberal gov't based on an Ad Scandal ... we hold the power and it's time we exercised it ... i
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    it's all about open, honest and transparent gov't ... i have no problem with lobbyists as long as our elected officials are making informed decisions in the interests of the people ...

I support this post 100%
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

agreed ... definitely in favour of proportional representation ... but the single biggest thing we need is what you are: a critically thinking engaged citizen ...

obviously, we would never find 100% consensus but the reality is that so many people a) don't vote or b) vote based strictly on partisanship ... we do not hold politicians accountable and i'm sorry but conservatives are the worst at that ... look what WE did to the liberal gov't based on an Ad Scandal ... we hold the power and it's time we exercised it ... i

Thank you...yes I agree we need more people engaged in whats going on in politics...I am 1 who admits to not voting but was seriously considering putting my support behind the NDP until I couldn't get my question answered...I may email Elizabeth May and see what her responses are...never thought I would consider the green party but their platform is far more diverse than I realized...and it is time to move on from the liberal/consercatives who have run this country for far to long.

As for the partisanship...I know people who voted for the conservatives because they were getting rid of the gun registry...1 issue seems like a silly reason to support a party.

• Options
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I support this post 100%

Just for the record...what your organizations lobbies for is not a problem with me...I commend you and your organization for speaking up for people living with HIV...that must be one tough job.

I have more of a problem with unions, oil companies, corporations...I think you get the picture...they are in it more for greed...where as your organization seems to be more in it for trying to obtain necessary funding to help people living with a terrible disease...hope I got that right and don't come across as ignorant.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    agreed ... definitely in favour of proportional representation

I think proportional representation is the only way we'll move ahead. I'm not so sure anyone other than liberals and conservatives will form a government...the problem is that the liberals or conservatives have to make that change or put it to referendum...unfortunately I do not see that happening.

It was put to referendum in Ontario a few years back and was defeated. I'm not so sure people understood it. Probably not enough education before the vote.

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    agreed ... definitely in favour of proportional representation

I think proportional representation is the only way we'll move ahead. I'm not so sure anyone other than liberals and conservatives will form a government...the problem is that the liberals or conservatives have to make that change or put it to referendum...unfortunately I do not see that happening.

It was put to referendum in Ontario a few years back and was defeated. I'm not so sure people understood it. Probably not enough education before the vote.

I am not sure how proportional representation helps anyone. I mean my understanding is that if say we had proportional representation in Canada, my riding would get bigger as there would be less seats for actual ridings. And then there would be more seats created for like floater MPs based on the percentage of votes each party gets. Except the floater MPs would just be politicians appointed by each party's leadership. And if they are appointed politicians they are going to be the most loyal party hacks ever (worse than the senate probably). And tell me now, if these people are appointed and the most loyal party followers ever, how are they going to help represent people more, when they don't specifically answer to anyone?
  • Options
    I am not sure how proportional representation helps anyone. I mean my understanding is that if say we had proportional representation in Canada, my riding would get bigger as there would be less seats for actual ridings. And then there would be more seats created for like floater MPs based on the percentage of votes each party gets. Except the floater MPs would just be politicians appointed by each party's leadership. And if they are appointed politicians they are going to be the most loyal party hacks ever (worse than the senate probably). And tell me now, if these people are appointed and the most loyal party followers ever, how are they going to help represent people more, when they don't specifically answer to anyone?

yeah ... that would be the main flaw of the PR voting system ... even tho we would elect about 2/3 of the mps - the rest would be filled based on the party nomination list ... but overall tho, PR voting systems are most widely used in democracies and they work out pretty good ... so, more pros than cons ...

i'd be interested in the single transferable vote (stv) ... it would basically eliminate the vote splitting that happens which gives the conservatives a majority despite only 33% of the vote ...
  • Options
    Conservatives’ ‘in-and-out’ scandal investigation cost taxpayers $2.3-million

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/10 ... yers-2-3m/

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I support this post 100%

Just for the record...what your organizations lobbies for is not a problem with me...I commend you and your organization for speaking up for people living with HIV...that must be one tough job.

I have more of a problem with unions, oil companies, corporations...I think you get the picture...they are in it more for greed...where as your organization seems to be more in it for trying to obtain necessary funding to help people living with a terrible disease...hope I got that right and don't come across as ignorant.

Don't worry i wasn't think you were ignorant at all. I completely understand where your coming from. the same part is that with the conservatives trying to remove public funding for political parties, i have a feeling that lobbying will become much worse and that our system will become more American than it is already.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

brutal ... yet ... as usual ... crickets from the conservatives ...
  • Options
    Chretien disappointed charter anniversary went largely unnoticed — again

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Chretien+dis ... z1rhcsL0cE

Found this and totally agree with Jean Chretien on this but not totally surprised....Harper has no respect for other political parties and what they accomplished and this was/is a big deal.

• Options
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:
    I support this post 100%

Don't worry i wasn't think you were ignorant at all. I completely understand where your coming from. the same part is that with the conservatives trying to remove public funding for political parties, i have a feeling that lobbying will become much worse and that our system will become more American than it is already.

I'm afraid your right we are headed toward a much more American system...I can see lobbying that is good, like the lobbying your organization does...I doubt any good comes from the oil lobbyist, union lobbyist, corporations lobbying, insurance lobbyist etc.

Unfortunately we are stuck with him for a while and if the opposition don't get their act together we may be stuck with him far longer than we can imagine... :( :(

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

brutal ... yet ... as usual ... crickets from the conservatives ...

The fine should be at least the cost of the investigation...whats a 52000 fine to these guys... :( :(

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Found this and totally agree with Jean Chretien on this but not totally surprised....Harper has no respect for other political parties and what they accomplished and this was/is a big deal.

he doesn't believe in the charter ... he just doesn't have the balls right now to challenge it ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

he doesn't believe in the charter ... he just doesn't have the balls right now to challenge it ...

That's true...how can people continue to support this guy?

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The fine should be at least the cost of the investigation...whats a 52000 fine to these guys... :( :(

no kidding ... they cheated in the elections ... then they lied about it ... then they obstructed the investigation .. and it's costs us millions ...

pretty much every thing i said about the conservatives have come to fruition ... it's brutal we continue to allow these people to fuck us over ...
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    That's true...how can people continue to support this guy?

i'm telling you ... a lot conservatives can't think critically ... all they are good at doing is shifting attention to the liberals ... these folks can recite every friggin' liberal mismanagement but will not hold the conservatives accountable ... then there's the people that just aren't engaged ... they think it's out of their control and the only thing they seem to care about are taxes ... the cons will always be able to buy votes by promising lower taxes regardless of what the consequences of that are ...
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

no kidding ... they cheated in the elections ... then they lied about it ... then they obstructed the investigation .. and it's costs us millions ...

pretty much every thing i said about the conservatives have come to fruition ... it's brutal we continue to allow these people to fuck us over ...

More election cheating:
    http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politi ... t?page=0,2

Tories may have broken 2011 election rules with US Republican campaigners in Ontario
    U.S. directors from Front Porch Strategies worked “in the trenches” for Tory candidates in 2011, going door to door and openly campaigning for Conservative candidates, the firm's Canadian liason said.

from the govt complaining about foreign environmental groups intervening in the pipeline debates.....:roll:
  • Options
    More election cheating:
    http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politi ... t?page=0,2

Tories may have broken 2011 election rules with US Republican campaigners in Ontario
    U.S. directors from Front Porch Strategies worked “in the trenches” for Tory candidates in 2011, going door to door and openly campaigning for Conservative candidates, the firm's Canadian liason said.

from the govt complaining about foreign environmental groups intervening in the pipeline debates.....:roll:

it's brutal ... all these cuts from this gov't are totally targeted at groups they are opposed to ... mainly environment and such ... anyone who dares oppose big oil like say our scientists ... cut cut cut ...
  • Options
    Canada won't fight to save murderer Ronald Smith from execution in Montana

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Canada+fight ... z1rtV3ffgv

This discussion has been closed.