Options

Canadian Politics

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Yup it's a liberal member of parliament...and these inmates will be moved to a new super jail in a Conservative riding.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Yup it's a liberal member of parliament...and these inmates will be moved to a new super jail in a Conservative riding.

this is the same story of the Harris years ... it's the same corrupt stiffs ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Well Harris hasn't been around for 9 years or so...and I am seeing how great things are running in Ontario...that's all we do in this country...this is how its goes anymore...we tire of Rae...we put in Harris...we tire of Harris...we put in McGuinty...no doubt we are tired of McGuinty...no doubt in my mind we want change, no doubt in my mind we don't want any of the current provincial leaders.

Federally same thing...the political system needs change in this country...will that happen not in my lifetime...not a chance!!! exactly why I will never step foot inside a voting booth...all political parties are corrupt.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Well Harris hasn't been around for 9 years or so...and I am seeing how great things are running in Ontario...that's all we do in this country...this is how its goes anymore...we tire of Rae...we put in Harris...we tire of Harris...we put in McGuinty...no doubt we are tired of McGuinty...no doubt in my mind we want change, no doubt in my mind we don't want any of the current provincial leaders.

Federally same thing...the political system needs change in this country...will that happen not in my lifetime...not a chance!!! exactly why I will never step foot inside a voting booth...all political parties are corrupt.

for sure ... i just bring up harris because the guys that were key in his cabinet are the same guys in harper's ... baird, flaherty, clement, etc ... they were corrupt in ontario and they are now corrupt in ottawa ... :twisted:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

for sure ... i just bring up harris because the guys that were key in his cabinet are the same guys in harper's ... baird, flaherty, clement, etc ... they were corrupt in ontario and they are now corrupt in ottawa ... :twisted:

I agree there...but thats part of the problem...we have way to many career politicians...I would not have a problem with limits with how many years you can serve in politics...but once again that would require us expecting politicians to do the right thing...and that will never happen.

• Options
    Ontario budget 2012: McGuinty should meet Horwath half way or we’ll all pay: Cohn

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/poli ... -cohn?bn=1

She'll screw her base by voting for this pathetic budget...

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Ontario budget 2012: McGuinty should meet Horwath half way or we’ll all pay: Cohn

it's brutal here in ontario cuz she is not ready to govern nor do i like her as a leader ... i think she is very weak ... but then we have the fucking conservatives waiting in the wings to get the default vote again ... brutal ...
  • Options
    frig ... you read that article on bev oda? ... this gov't is so two-faced its unbelievable ...

add to that this decision on immigration by jason kenney and what you got is a gov't that has failed to live up to anything except sell the country out to their friends in the oil patch ... :evil:
  • Options
    wow ... haven't these guys figured out that all you have to do is shut up to win!?? ... :?

PC's in alberta dodged a bullet ... but that party's time will come simply because that province is moving further and further to the right ... it's unquestionable support of harper and the rise of this right wing party is proof of this ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

it's brutal here in ontario cuz she is not ready to govern nor do i like her as a leader ... i think she is very weak ... but then we have the fucking conservatives waiting in the wings to get the default vote again ... brutal ...

Yes it's terrible here in Ontario...but for her to support a budget that her base is opposed to is is just silly...and all Ontarions should be opposed to.

They paid Drummond huge amounts of money to do a report. The McGuinty government is only implementing half. From a lot of what I read implementing his report fully would go along way to helping solve the deficit problem and he provided long term solutions to help avoid these problems in the future.

This tax on people making over 500 grand I don't have a problem with even though the threshold should have been lower and corporate taxes should be raised. I just wonder if this tax on those over that threshold will increase revenue or will they just find more tax loopholes...my guess is that this will not increase revenue much and this government has a tremendous spending problem.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    wow ... haven't these guys figured out that all you have to do is shut up to win!?? ... :?

PC's in alberta dodged a bullet ... but that party's time will come simply because that province is moving further and further to the right ... it's unquestionable support of harper and the rise of this right wing party is proof of this ...

Well how many people in Alberta just walk in and vote Conservative? Probably don't even know who the other candidates are or the issues...or don't care.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    frig ... you read that article on bev oda? ... this gov't is so two-faced its unbelievable ...

add to that this decision on immigration by jason kenney and what you got is a gov't that has failed to live up to anything except sell the country out to their friends in the oil patch ... :evil:

Well Bev Oda has been controversial for sometime...but this government is 2 faced...do as I say not as I do.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Well Bev Oda has been controversial for sometime...but this government is 2 faced...do as I say not as I do.

and she has the nerve to say she paid the difference out of her own pocket yesterday!! ... i mean how pathetic is that!?? ... zero accountability ... fucking pathetic ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

and she has the nerve to say she paid the difference out of her own pocket yesterday!! ... i mean how pathetic is that!?? ... zero accountability ... fucking pathetic ...

Exactly...pathetic...

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Where's Canada? :lol:

I kid
  • Options
  • Options
    DocHinchyDocHinchy Posts: 125
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Hung around Harris`s nephew back in the day, Harris is from here, not proud! Only good thing was the house sitting and boxes of booze. Wonder what he`d say if he new a bunch of "hippies" were enjoying some very smooth libations on his dime.
  • Options
    DocHinchy wrote:
    Hung around Harris`s nephew back in the day, Harris is from here, not proud! Only good thing was the house sitting and boxes of booze. Wonder what he`d say if he new a bunch of "hippies" were enjoying some very smooth libations on his dime.

hahaha ...
  • Options
    Ok here's my 2 cents.

Firstly we have to stop calling the Federal Conservative Party the Progressive Conservatives because they ceased being that when they sold their souls to the Reform party (when they merged). They are just The Conservatives or as I call them - the Reform Party incognito or Republican light.

Secondly there is another downside to increasing the retirement age to 67. LESS JOBS. Many Boomers are working well past retirement age to begin with, then add my generation being forced to work till 67, what does that leave for people graduating college and university? The government talks about creating jobs but this dumbass move means far fewer people are leaving the workforce each year so there are fewer voids for the youth to fill.

I don't think there is anything that would make a conservative voter change their vote, especially in Alberta. Sadly its so routine for many out there that it doesn't occur to many to vote any other way. It's like in the US people identify themselves as republican and no matter how SHITTY the Republican candidate is they will still vote for them.

Harper got lucky in the last election because he had this huge anti-Ignatieff wave, plus a decent sized anti-McGuinty wave here in Ontario to capture some key ridings here in Toronto and in other parts of the province.
    It makes me sick what they are getting away with right now. How Peter McKay still has a job I'll never know! (makes me sick). You want to see how BAD Harper himself is..check out this speech that he made back in 1997. This is text only.
    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SpecialEvent7 ... xt_051214/

I'm hoping Mulclair will stay true to the NDP helping working families beliefs while moving the party a little bit more to the right so as to pick up some left leaning Liberal supporters cause we HAVE to get Harper the F out of there in the next election and right now the Liberals aren't doing anything to help their cause. I like Bob Rae but he can never win an election with this Ontario history. (Even though much of that was not his fault. He inherited a deficit from Peterson, and we entered a recession shortly after he took office. It was either mass layoffs like Harris eventually did or force people to take unpaid days. He chose the latter so that people wouldn't lose their jobs and got crucified for it). The Conservatives are already running attack ads...imagine what they will be like if Rae ever because permanent leader??? Scarey. The Liberals need to find a successor who's NOT a university professor lol. (sorry but after Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatieff they just can't go there again).
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... nanos.html

interesting....hope this trend continues. The problem is the Canadian electorate seems to have a short term memory and its going to be a long 3 years.
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/26/pol-ndp-tories-statistically-tied-nanos.html

interesting....hope this trend continues. The problem is the Canadian electorate seems to have a short term memory and its going to be a long 3 years.

Hmm interesting article. The problem is we don't vote our PM's by popular vote so whomever is a head in the popular vote means nothing.

We all know the Conservatives will all but sweep Alberta (save for maybe 2 seats), and get a bunch in the 905 belt of Ontario regardless of what scandal they have or how piss poor they manage the countries finances.

The key is ridings in Quebec (if the BQ gain momentum there again the NDP is screwed) and other places where people got in as a result of a vote AGAINST the ruling party rather than a vote FOR the current party elected in said riding.
    Ie. Anti Ignatieff sentiment in many right leaning ridings you usually go Liberal, Anti BQ sentiment in Quebec.

BTW did you guys see how McGuinty bribed a PC MPP with a cushy appointment to get her to resign her seat, forcing a by-election where the Liberals could gain their majority if they win??? UGH I would hope for an NDP win but sine that riding went conservative before, so that will never happen.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Scott Stinson: Witmer resignation throws wrench in Tim Hudak’s ‘sideline’ strategy

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... -strategy/

I'd be surprised if that riding went liberal...

to me it doesn't matter...Ontario is pretty much screwed anyways...

you can't keep adding 15 billion every year to overall debt and not think that is going to impact future governments...

someday in the future the cuts that future governments are going to make will make Harris cuts look small...

• Options
    Ontario’s tax the rich plan’s problem: who is seriously going to pay it?

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ay-it?bn=1

You don't need a degree in rocket science to know that people making over 500 grand will find loopholes. But to the vast majority of the electorate out their they'll buy this hook, line and sinker.

Ontario budget: Andrea Horwath’s tax-the-rich scheme ‘hugely popular,’ poll suggests

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/poli ... l-suggests

Why don't people use common sense...or at least research it to see if the folks over 500 grand will actually pay much more...it takes like 5 seconds on google...

this is exactly why we get the governments we do...most of the electorate don't know you can use the internet for more than facebook.

• Options
    dignin wrote:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/26/pol-ndp-tories-statistically-tied-nanos.html

I agree...buy three years in politics is a long time.

• Options
    Ok here's my 2 cents.

Firstly we have to stop calling the Federal Conservative Party the Progressive Conservatives because they ceased being that when they sold their souls to the Reform party (when they merged). They are just The Conservatives or as I call them - the Reform Party incognito or Republican light.

Secondly there is another downside to increasing the retirement age to 67. LESS JOBS. Many Boomers are working well past retirement age to begin with, then add my generation being forced to work till 67, what does that leave for people graduating college and university? The government talks about creating jobs but this dumbass move means far fewer people are leaving the workforce each year so there are fewer voids for the youth to fill.

I don't think there is anything that would make a conservative voter change their vote, especially in Alberta. Sadly its so routine for many out there that it doesn't occur to many to vote any other way. It's like in the US people identify themselves as republican and no matter how SHITTY the Republican candidate is they will still vote for them.

Harper got lucky in the last election because he had this huge anti-Ignatieff wave, plus a decent sized anti-McGuinty wave here in Ontario to capture some key ridings here in Toronto and in other parts of the province.
    It makes me sick what they are getting away with right now. How Peter McKay still has a job I'll never know! (makes me sick). You want to see how BAD Harper himself is..check out this speech that he made back in 1997. This is text only.
    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SpecialEvent7 ... xt_051214/

I'm hoping Mulclair will stay true to the NDP helping working families beliefs while moving the party a little bit more to the right so as to pick up some left leaning Liberal supporters cause we HAVE to get Harper the F out of there in the next election and right now the Liberals aren't doing anything to help their cause. I like Bob Rae but he can never win an election with this Ontario history. (Even though much of that was not his fault. He inherited a deficit from Peterson, and we entered a recession shortly after he took office. It was either mass layoffs like Harris eventually did or force people to take unpaid days. He chose the latter so that people wouldn't lose their jobs and got crucified for it). The Conservatives are already running attack ads...imagine what they will be like if Rae ever because permanent leader??? Scarey. The Liberals need to find a successor who's NOT a university professor lol. (sorry but after Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatieff they just can't go there again).

yup ...

:(
  • Options
    Did Canadian banks receive a secret bailout?

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/ ... t-bailout/

• Options
    with each poll that shows the ndp and conservatives tied ... the reality that the ndp could actually form gov't federally is becoming more and more real ... that is pretty crazy ... it's like the perfect storm ... :lol:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    with each poll that shows the ndp and conservatives tied ... the reality that the ndp could actually form gov't federally is becoming more and more real ... that is pretty crazy ... it's like the perfect storm ... :lol:

3 years from the next election is a looooong time...a lot can change...voters have super short memories.

The NDP has a lot of seats in Quebec ... are the voters in Quebec going to stick with the NDP?

The liberals will have a new leader by the next election.

And after the polls were soooooooo wrong about the Alberta election, I don't necessarily trust polls.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    3 years from the next election is a looooong time...a lot can change...voters have super short memories.

The NDP has a lot of seats in Quebec ... are the voters in Quebec going to stick with the NDP?

And after the polls were soooooooo wrong about the Alberta election, I don't necessarily trust polls.

ohhh ... for sure ... my point is really that there is a feeling that the ndp will never form a gov't in canada ... i think that even if the polls are wrong - just even coming close to the conservatives is a statement ... they have obviously benefited the most from the liberal collapse but it's interesting to see it hold ...

i think the ndp have a very good shot in quebec simply because the populace is centre-left ... their only choice is the bloc or the ndp ... and the liberals are going nowhere because bob rae is the most qualified leader they have but his baggage is too much to overcome ... especially amongst your average canadian ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

ohhh ... for sure ... my point is really that there is a feeling that the ndp will never form a gov't in canada ... i think that even if the polls are wrong - just even coming close to the conservatives is a statement ... they have obviously benefited the most from the liberal collapse but it's interesting to see it hold ....

Going to have to correct you on this one, the Cons gained the most from the Libs collapse (in Ontario giving them the majority) and the NDP gained from the collapse of the Bloc in Quebec. The lesson to be learned here...Liberal voters are Assholes ;)
This discussion has been closed.