Options

Canadian Politics

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Idris wrote:

pretty crazy what these folks have done in the name of liberties from where they originated from ...
  • Options
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-p ... 03143.html

Bill C-38 protest has 13,000 websites going dark across Canada this June
    By Andy Radia | Canada Politics – Sat, 26 May, 2012

Email
    Print

When it comes to politics, Canadians are generally an apathetic bunch. Often, a controversy will brew and within a week or two we forget about it and move on.

It appears Bill C-38 is one issue we're not willing to let go.

Saturday is the one month anniversary of the introduction of the so-called omnibus budget bill, a 425-page bill that amends 60 different acts, repeals a half dozen others and adds three more. Opposition parties have repeatedly said that the bill is too big and includes changes that ought to be broken off and presented as separate legislation. But the Conservatives are forging ahead with it as-is.

While Canadians haven't hit the streets en masse yet, they are showing their dislike for the bill even one month later. On June 4, 13,000 website owners across Canada, including the NDP, PSAC and even Margaret Atwood, will be darkening their websites in protest of Bill C-38 as part of the 'Black Out Speak Out' campaign.

And political analysts also continue to speak-out against the bill.

This week, the National Post's Matt Gurney, who could never be accused of being a left-wing radical, said the bill was "sneaky" and "undemocratic."

Last week, Dennis Drainville, the bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Quebec wrote a scathing piece about the bill and how the Stephen Harper government is minimizing the role of Parliament.

"In the last 12 months I have seen clearly the rise of tyrannical policies and the application of such mind and state control that the people of Canada , unless they soon react, will find themselves not only slaves to a corporate and political domination they never chose but they will experience the extinguishing of any of the hopes and dreams that they once had for a nation firmly based upon the foundations of compassion, justice and peace," he wrote.

"For God's sake, for all of our sakes, wake-up Canada."

And it's not just the pundits who are talking trash about C-38.

Earlier this week, a YouTube video surfaced, showing Conservative MP David Wilks telling constituents that he has some concerns with the omnibus nature of the bill.

frig ... even the national post! ...
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/bill-c-38-protest-13-000-websites-going-212703143.html

Bill C-38 protest has 13,000 websites going dark across Canada this June
    By Andy Radia | Canada Politics – Sat, 26 May, 2012

Email
    Print

When it comes to politics, Canadians are generally an apathetic bunch. Often, a controversy will brew and within a week or two we forget about it and move on.

It appears Bill C-38 is one issue we're not willing to let go.

Saturday is the one month anniversary of the introduction of the so-called omnibus budget bill, a 425-page bill that amends 60 different acts, repeals a half dozen others and adds three more. Opposition parties have repeatedly said that the bill is too big and includes changes that ought to be broken off and presented as separate legislation. But the Conservatives are forging ahead with it as-is.

While Canadians haven't hit the streets en masse yet, they are showing their dislike for the bill even one month later. On June 4, 13,000 website owners across Canada, including the NDP, PSAC and even Margaret Atwood, will be darkening their websites in protest of Bill C-38 as part of the 'Black Out Speak Out' campaign.

And political analysts also continue to speak-out against the bill.

This week, the National Post's Matt Gurney, who could never be accused of being a left-wing radical, said the bill was "sneaky" and "undemocratic."

Last week, Dennis Drainville, the bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Quebec wrote a scathing piece about the bill and how the Stephen Harper government is minimizing the role of Parliament.

"In the last 12 months I have seen clearly the rise of tyrannical policies and the application of such mind and state control that the people of Canada , unless they soon react, will find themselves not only slaves to a corporate and political domination they never chose but they will experience the extinguishing of any of the hopes and dreams that they once had for a nation firmly based upon the foundations of compassion, justice and peace," he wrote.

"For God's sake, for all of our sakes, wake-up Canada."

And it's not just the pundits who are talking trash about C-38.

Earlier this week, a YouTube video surfaced, showing Conservative MP David Wilks telling constituents that he has some concerns with the omnibus nature of the bill.

frig ... even the national post! ...

For me, it started when we had the G/20 here in Toronto, The illusion fell and the reality became manifest regarding just what we are as a city/country.

Even when over a thousand of our people got boxed in, abused and locked up. We were apathetic, and when we did take note, we just pointed the blame, saying things like "Oh, it's all because of the 'blac blok' blah blah blah"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZxkAn-g4Xo

G/20 Doc,
    ---

Our city, our country needs a new 'wake up' call,
  • Options
    Idris wrote:

dude ... we elected rob ford ... we need more than a wake up call ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Idris wrote:

dude ... we elected rob ford ... we need more than a wake up call ...

hhehe, I know riiight!

btw, you check the show Continuum http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/25/continuum-tv-show-showcase-review_n_1545978.html

I just saw the first 15 mins last night, it was alright, anyway, it's about the future, 'Big Brother' etc kinda interesting in that way. It takes place in Canada, lot's of blowing shit up, 'Terrorists/Freedom Fighters,

Perhaps we will only wake up when something like 'Continuum' happens, :ugeek:
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    hhehe, I know riiight!

btw, you check the show Continuum http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/25/continuum-tv-show-showcase-review_n_1545978.html

I just saw the first 15 mins last night, it was alright, anyway, it's about the future, 'Big Brother' etc kinda interesting in that way. It takes place in Canada, lot's of blowing shit up, 'Terrorists/Freedom Fighters,

Perhaps we will only wake up when something like 'Continuum' happens, :ugeek:

my buddy works for shaw and he was throwing out names of this show while we were going for lunch ... can't believe they ended up with that name ... haha

and i don't really watch tv ... outside of the food network ... :lol:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    my buddy works for shaw and he was throwing out names of this show while we were going for lunch ... can't believe they ended up with that name ... haha

and i don't really watch tv ... outside of the food network ... :lol:

True.

What not digging the name? :lol:
    -

Seriously, we need some 'change' here. BTW have you noticed more Police CCTV cameras around Toronto? I'm not sure about your side, but in the city Core/Entertainment District some new ones popped up. I think with 'sound recording ability' but not sure if that's true.

I know some people don't mind all this, I do. Nevertheless, it's just unfortunate and a bit weird when one thinks about it. I mean the moment I leave my condo, I'm recorded. Scratch that, I'm recorded once I step into the elevator, walk in the hall, onto the street, into a building.

The future feels very safe ;)
  • Options
    Idris wrote:
    True.

What not digging the name? :lol:
    -

Seriously, we need some 'change' here. BTW have you noticed more Police CCTV cameras around Toronto? I'm not sure about your side, but in the city Core/Entertainment District some new ones popped up. I think with 'sound recording ability' but not sure if that's true.

I know some people don't mind all this, I do. Nevertheless, it's just unfortunate and a bit weird when one thinks about it. I mean the moment I leave my condo, I'm recorded. Scratch that, I'm recorded once I step into the elevator, walk in the hall, onto the street, into a building.

The future feels very safe ;)

i am kind of torn with those cameras ... i would feel much better about those if they weren't monitored and that if no incidents are reported within a certain time period - say 12 months, they are deleted ... the flip side is that a lot of stupid shit happens in that area ... fueled by alcohol ... and late at night ... its kinda like having cctv at high risk areas ...

but yeah - we need a shake up and it really comes down to this 20-29 generation ... so many of them just don't give a rats ass about anything nor know anything ... hopefully, they will be inspired by the next election so we can get this bozo out of office ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

i am kind of torn with those cameras ... i would feel much better about those if they weren't monitored and that if no incidents are reported within a certain time period - say 12 months, they are deleted ... the flip side is that a lot of stupid shit happens in that area ... fueled by alcohol ... and late at night ... its kinda like having cctv at high risk areas ...

but yeah - we need a shake up and it really comes down to this 20-29 generation ... so many of them just don't give a rats ass about anything nor know anything ... hopefully, they will be inspired by the next election so we can get this bozo out of office ...

I agree with what you say.
    -

Side Note, some kid (last summer) took out a gun and started firing at a group of clubbers, over some kinda dispute. Anyway, it was around 3 am, happened right across from my building, I was awake (smoking) at the time. I called 911 blah blah blah. after about 4-5 mins 30,40,50 cops drive/bike right by the scene! ha! Useless, I had to call 911 again and tell them they jumped the spot.

I also told the 911 operator that this all happened 50M away from a white van, which I think has "government or police agents" occupying the vehicle. :D Just as I said that, The Van starts it's engine, headlight on, and starts to leave the area, and the 911 operator is like "UMMM, the white van that's leaving now?" :lol:

Boom. Talk about 'Big Brother',

She wondered how I knew who was in the van (whatever). My main complaint was that they did nothing to stop the shooting or do anything, as this kid shot about 5-6 bullets. The scene was a mess. People running, cars flying all over the place and this white van doing nothing. I was waiting for someone to jump out, but they remained 'under cover'

Until I blew the cover, and now the white van is gone. No doubt replaced with something else.
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    NDP making huge gains as Canada tilts leftward: poll

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/28 ... ward-poll/

not that polls mean a lot with 3 years before next election.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    NDP making huge gains as Canada tilts leftward: poll

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/28 ... ward-poll/

not that polls mean a lot with 3 years before next election.

i think this is directly related to the fact harper is fucking fascist! ... it's not a move to the left as it is a move away from the fucking asshole that is stephen harper ... :twisted:
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Gotta love Elizabeth May

Opposition aims to disrupt passage of omnibus Tory budget bill

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... nt=2446013

An omnibus budget bill that will affect many aspects of Canadian life faces a rocky ride over the next four weeks as opposition members try to thwart Conservative plans to have it passed into law before Parliament rises for the summer.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May and the Liberals have jointly concocted a plan to delay the passage of the 425-page Bill C-38 and are threatening to put it into action if the government does not agree to make substantial changes.

The strategy would pit Ms. May’s stamina against the desire of MPs of all stripes to return to their home ridings for the extended break.

What do the Greens and the Liberals have planned?

Because the Greens do not have official party status in the House of Commons, Ms. May is not given a seat on parliamentary committees. As a tradeoff, she is permitted to propose an unlimited number of amendments to bills that have come back to the House from committees.

All she needs is the support of five other MPs. And the Liberals have agreed to do that in the case of the budget bill.

“The aim is to create such a substantial logjam that the government will have to negotiate removing the environmental and other non-budgetary matters from Bill C-38,” Ms. May said Monday.

Each vote on an amendment takes 15 minutes, there could be hundreds of amendments, so “you do the math,” she said.

Once the votes start, she will not be able to leave the House. But “I don’t care how I do it,” Ms. May said. “They can take me out of the House on a stretcher.”

Where is the bill now and what steps lie ahead?

The budget legislation is before both the Commons finance committee and the Senate at the same time.

The Conservative-dominated Senate has split the bill, as it is now written, between a number of different committees for study. That means it can quickly be passed by the Red Chamber after it has made its way through the House.

The government has refused to allow the bill to be divided in the Commons, but a subcommittee of the finance committee has been created to look at the changes to environmental-assessment legislation.

The government plans to allow between 50 and 60 hours of debate at the committee level – to be spread between the finance committee and the subcommittee. The legislation will then be returned to the House for a final vote, which is when Ms. May would move her amendments.

What do the New Democrats have planned?

NDP MPs spent the past week holding hearings about the bill in different cities across the country. They say they have heard from hundreds of Canadians in person and thousands more online and will now put forth “constructive” amendments at the finance committee and subcommittee that are based on those consultations.

The Conservatives, who hold a majority on all Commons committees, will be able to dismiss any changes proposed by the opposition.

The New Democrats concede that the Conservatives will use their numbers to get the bill passed, but say their intent is to make sure that the voices of Canadians who oppose it have been heard.

What is at stake?

In addition to the sweeping environmental changes, the bill’s 752 clauses include measures that would, among other things:

- Reform Old Age Security by raising the age of eligibility for the program to 67 from 65 gradually over a six-year period starting in 2023.

- Eliminate the office of the inspector-general of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

- Grant U.S. law-enforcement agents, such as those from the FBI, the same powers as members of the RCMP in cases where they are working together on cross-border operations.

- Split Employment Insurance recipients into three categories based on how often they’ve claimed EI in the past. Frequent users would be given just six weeks of EI to look for work in a similar occupation before they would be expected to take a job not necessarily to their liking.
  • Options
    stick it to the those fuckers ms. may ...
  • Options
    What baffles me is that Quebec students and apparently non students have taken to the streets over tuition increases...yet with the policies coming from the current government barely a whimper (unless you count the moaning and groaning at the coffee shops or the editorials). What's it gonna take to get the population riled up to at least have a day of protest? or are us Canadians way to sheeple like.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    What baffles me is that Quebec students and apparently non students have taken to the streets over tuition increases...yet with the policies coming from the current government barely a whimper (unless you count the moaning and groaning at the coffee shops or the editorials). What's it gonna take to get the population riled up to at least have a day of protest? or are us Canadians way to sheeple like.

i think there is a sense of inevitability and that no matter what we do ... those fuckers are gonna do it anyways ... look at that video from that backbencher ... he knows the bill is bad ... dude got his wrist slapped and now he tows the line ... this is not democracy ... it's fascism
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i think there is a sense of inevitability and that no matter what we do ... those fuckers are gonna do it anyways ... look at that video from that backbencher ... he knows the bill is bad ... dude got his wrist slapped and now he tows the line ... this is not democracy ... it's fascism

I don't like party politics and every vote in the house should be a free vote. It's just unfortunate that so many just except the status quo. To me it's not really frustrating as it is scary.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Student activists target Canadian Grand Prix

Concerns continue to circulate over the possible disruption of the Canadian Grand Prix which takes place on June 10. Protesting students have warned the weekend could be targeted as part of their ongoing dispute with the government.

Local media sources have become increasingly worried that there could be a significant impact to an event which attracts more than 100,000 people and earns an estimated £100 million in revenue to Montreal.

While the official line is that the authorities will take additional measures to ensure the race weekend passes peacefully, the students at the city's main university earlier this month passed a resolution which promised to "organise a weekend of disruptions in order to cancel the Formula 1 Grand Prix and its jet-set events which represent sexist, anti-environmental, elitist and economic values that must be abolished".

Despite rhetoric reminiscent of the 1960s, it is a threat which is being taken seriously as it is attracting the usual coterie of anti-establishment campaigners such protests appeal to. The US authorities have warned tourists to Montreal they could face "unforeseen violence," "vandalism" and "arrests" in Montreal caused by the social unrest.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/80158.html
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    dignin wrote:

Oh thanks, I didn't know that. :roll: Hahaha, man people here are nuts.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    How to lose $260K at Tim Hortons: Let the government run it and pay staff $28/hour

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/30 ... e-critics/

Like I've always said the government couldn't run a hotdog stand at a profit or organize a 1 car funeral...I'm sure glad I never waste my time voting...

• Options
    Alberta's number one enemy (sic) is coming for a visit, but our fearless leader Redford has a prior engagement - selling out our country's resources to globalists and warmongers.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le2448097/

Alberta takes offense to Mulcair ahead of his visit

Foes, allies and cautious tour-guides await Thomas Mulcair on his Alberta visit – just after the release of a report supporting the views that landed the NDP leader in hot water.

Mr. Mulcair has long been an outspoken critic of the oil sands, but triggered a war of words with three Western premiers this month by saying Canada’s energy sector has driven up the dollar, overheated the economy and hurt the manufacturing sector

Academics are split on the issue, but the premiers – none of them New Democrats – nonetheless fired back at Mr. Mulcair, whose trip was announced shortly after.

The first item in his whirlwind schedule was a meeting late Wednesday with Alberta NDP leader Brian Mason. Early on Thursday, Mr. Mulcair and three other New Democrat MPs will tour Suncor Energy’s open-pit mine, one of the first major projects in the oil sands, dating back four decades. Later on Thursday, he’ll meet with the local mayor before returning to Edmonton to visit the Legislature – where he was called “Alberta’s number one enemy” this week.

It will be Mr. Mulcair’s first visit to what he has derided as the “tar sands” and called “dirty oil.” Suncor declined to comment on its tour.

The mayor of the region, for one, doesn’t like what the NDP leader has said, but agreed to meet with him anyway.

“I think it was more of a disappointment for me, because it’s a national leader making some pretty aggressive comments about something I’m not sure he has the best understanding of,” Mayor Melissa Blake said.

Mr. Mulcair said he never sought to attack the West, calling the notion a “straw man” set up by his political foes.

“This whole discussion is about breaking the boom-and-bust cycle, having sustainable development, looking at the environmental, economic and social aspects of the equation, coming up with a pan-Canadian vision. There are people in the West who believe in that as well,” he said.

Among those he won’t meet is Alberta Premier Alison Redford. She’ll be at the secretive, invitation-only Bilderberg conference in Virginia. Her deputy premier will host Mr. Mulcair, and Ms. Redford is under fire for skipping out.

“Where are this Premier’s priorities? Is it to stand here, in Alberta, and defend our most important industry from bullies like Thomas Mulcair? Or is it to attend secret cocktail parties on the taxpayer dime and let the bully have open season,” provincial Opposition Leader Danielle Smith said after calling Mr. Mulcair “Alberta’s number one enemy.”

Mr. Mason said he agrees with most of what his federal counterpart has said about the energy sector’s effect on the broader economy. “It’s a difference in emphasis rather than substance,” the provincial NDP leader said.

A report on Wednesday by the Calgary-based Pembina Institute backed Mr. Mulcair, saying Canada’s economy has “oil sands fever.” Another report, by the right-wing Macdonald-Laurier Institute think tank, dismissed fears.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall said this week he hopes the trip is a learning experience for Mr. Mulcair, but added: “I have my doubts, frankly.” Ms. Redford has said Mr. Mulcair needs to “inform himself.” Federal Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said he hopes Mr. Mulcair is “mugged by reality” during his visit.

Such comments amount to conservatives “taking advantage of the controversy in order to try and damage the NDP,” Mr. Mason said. But he hopes this is all just the beginning. “I’m hoping he’ll come back to Alberta again.”
  • Options
    This story is so fucked up. Supposedly there could be four or more body parts still in the mail system!
    The guy videotaped the murder and dismemberment (and sexual acts with the body)....and posted them online.
    He warned of more killings to come, and allegedly fled to France....he has multiple alliases, and has written blog posts about how to disappear without a trace....there's also speculation he dated Karla Homolka. :o
  • Options
    Alberta's number one enemy is coming for a visit, but our fearless leader Redford has a prior engagement - selling out our country's resources to globalists and warmongers.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le2448097/

Alberta takes offense to Mulcair ahead of his visit

Foes, allies and cautious tour-guides await Thomas Mulcair on his Alberta visit – just after the release of a report supporting the views that landed the NDP leader in hot water.

Mr. Mulcair has long been an outspoken critic of the oil sands, but triggered a war of words with three Western premiers this month by saying Canada’s energy sector has driven up the dollar, overheated the economy and hurt the manufacturing sector

Academics are split on the issue, but the premiers – none of them New Democrats – nonetheless fired back at Mr. Mulcair, whose trip was announced shortly after.

The first item in his whirlwind schedule was a meeting late Wednesday with Alberta NDP leader Brian Mason. Early on Thursday, Mr. Mulcair and three other New Democrat MPs will tour Suncor Energy’s open-pit mine, one of the first major projects in the oil sands, dating back four decades. Later on Thursday, he’ll meet with the local mayor before returning to Edmonton to visit the Legislature – where he was called “Alberta’s number one enemy” this week.

It will be Mr. Mulcair’s first visit to what he has derided as the “tar sands” and called “dirty oil.” Suncor declined to comment on its tour.

The mayor of the region, for one, doesn’t like what the NDP leader has said, but agreed to meet with him anyway.

“I think it was more of a disappointment for me, because it’s a national leader making some pretty aggressive comments about something I’m not sure he has the best understanding of,” Mayor Melissa Blake said.

Mr. Mulcair said he never sought to attack the West, calling the notion a “straw man” set up by his political foes.

“This whole discussion is about breaking the boom-and-bust cycle, having sustainable development, looking at the environmental, economic and social aspects of the equation, coming up with a pan-Canadian vision. There are people in the West who believe in that as well,” he said.

Among those he won’t meet is Alberta Premier Alison Redford. She’ll be at the secretive, invitation-only Bilderberg conference in Virginia. Her deputy premier will host Mr. Mulcair, and Ms. Redford is under fire for skipping out.

“Where are this Premier’s priorities? Is it to stand here, in Alberta, and defend our most important industry from bullies like Thomas Mulcair? Or is it to attend secret cocktail parties on the taxpayer dime and let the bully have open season,” provincial Opposition Leader Danielle Smith said after calling Mr. Mulcair “Alberta’s number one enemy.”

Mr. Mason said he agrees with most of what his federal counterpart has said about the energy sector’s effect on the broader economy. “It’s a difference in emphasis rather than substance,” the provincial NDP leader said.

A report on Wednesday by the Calgary-based Pembina Institute backed Mr. Mulcair, saying Canada’s economy has “oil sands fever.” Another report, by the right-wing Macdonald-Laurier Institute think tank, dismissed fears.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall said this week he hopes the trip is a learning experience for Mr. Mulcair, but added: “I have my doubts, frankly.” Ms. Redford has said Mr. Mulcair needs to “inform himself.” Federal Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said he hopes Mr. Mulcair is “mugged by reality” during his visit.

Such comments amount to conservatives “taking advantage of the controversy in order to try and damage the NDP,” Mr. Mason said. But he hopes this is all just the beginning. “I’m hoping he’ll come back to Alberta again.”

Now admittedly I don't follow Mulcair all that much nor do I follow much about the oil sands...question has anybody put solutions forward or do they just want them to stop mining the tar sands? Because my guess is if they want the mining stopped completely that will not happen.

• Options
    Has anybody given serious thought what would happen to Canada's economy if Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan economies suddenly tanked...I love some people here in Ontario they rag on the tar sands but don't offer solutions...if there are any...our province has totally tanked under McGuinty and Duncan (and some after 8 years still blame the previous government). In Ontario the so called green energy jobs are not materializing like McGuinty said...because I guess he didn't realize that the US just don't have the money to buy that stuff, European countries aren't buying that stuff and countries like China and India are burning coal.

My guess is the Federal Government gets a fair share from the oil that helps pay social programs...but I guess they can just magically pay like we do in Ontario.

Not to mention how many people livelihoods are now dependent upon the work from all parts of Canada.

Did these other provinces rag on Ontario and Quebec back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's when our manufacturing was dropping pollutants on our lakes , streams and farmland?

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Now admittedly I don't follow Mulcair all that much nor do I follow much about the oil sands...question has anybody put solutions forward or do they just want them to stop mining the tar sands? Because my guess is if they want the mining stopped completely that will not happen.

Here ya go,maybe this can shed a little light

Reality check: The NDP and the oilsands By
    Shannon Phillips Keith McLaughlin Keith Gardner

Contrary to recent headlines, the NDP and Tom Mulcair do not want to shut down the oil sands. The NDP is not attacking Western Canada. The NDP is not trying to divide Canadians by pitting East against West.

The headlines are another example of the tantrums Conservative premiers, federal Conservatives, and the oil lobby throw every time an alternative model of oil sands development is proposed. Let’s be clear: Tom Mulcair and the NDP are talking about putting Albertans and Canadians first - not the oil companies - when it comes to developing the oil sands.

The NDP proposes a practical and legitimate alternative to resource development. This alternative deserves a grown-up conversation. Canadians deserve better than hysteria, smears, and hyperbole.

Here’s what is at stake. A range of credible voices - from conservative economists to former Alberta Premier Peter Lougheed - share Tom Mulcair’s view that runaway development in the oil sands is not in our interest. We ought to pace development, taking on fewer projects at a time. The benefits of slowing development far outweigh the risks. A slower pace of development allows Alberta’s infrastructure and health and education systems to keep up. It slows the skyrocketing cost of living and labour market pressures. A slower pace of development means we keep more good-paying jobs in Alberta, too: with fewer projects on the books, we would be able to upgrade and refine more bitumen in our province, rather than shipping the jobs to Texas or China.

A slower pace of development also takes the heat off our currency, ensuring we slow the decline of the manufacturing sector, both in Alberta and the rest of Canada.

The Alberta NDP is also saying we need to ensure we get full value from the oil sands. That means having yet another grown-up conversation: this time about royalties. We’re the only party that talks about how Alberta needs to increase our royalties to levels charged in other oil-producing areas. More appropriate royalties has the effect of slowing the stampede to our currency, mitigating job losses in other parts of the country. Better royalties allow us to save and invest in a green economy, which is the best way to show leadership and ensure all of Canada can be put on a more sustainable path to long-term prosperity.

Conservative Premiers, the Harper government, and the oil lobby do not want to have any conversation about their development model in the oil sands. They ask us to sign off on pulling the bitumen out of the ground as fast as possible and shipping it out without any regard for the jobs leaving the country or the value we get from the resource. This benefits the international oil companies, not Canadians. In fact, two-thirds of oil sands companies are foreign-owned. Conservatives in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC have reacted with such bullying childishness to Tom Mulcair because the questions he is asking threaten oil companies’ massive profits and privilege.

Conservative hysteria, smears, and hyperbole (whether from Alison Redford, local PC MLAs, or the Harper government) are strategies designed to silence legitimate alternatives. This strategy protects foreign-owned oil companies’ interests, not Canadians’ or Albertans’. The NDP, on the other hand, advocates a position that puts sustainable development and Canadians’ long-term economic prosperity at the centre of the conversation.

We are young, proud New Democrats, and represent a new generation of NDP activism in Lethbridge. We are concerned recent headlines mislead the people of Lethbridge with respect to what our party stands for. We’ll say it again: the NDP is not anti-oil sands. We want an economy that works for all of us, and we believe oil sands wealth belongs to Albertans first. If we take that approach, all Canadians can benefit from our enormous natural resource endowment. Our party wants to build a more inclusive and united Canada; we are not interested in cynical political games.

We are interested in a mature political conversation about the oil sands. We invite Conservatives at all levels of government to join us.

Shannon Phillips was the Alberta NDP candidate in the 2012 provincial election in Lethbridge West.
    Keith McLaughlin is the former VP Academic of the U of L Students’ Union, a former editor of the U of L Meliorist newspaper, and the former Vice-Chair of the Council of Alberta University Students.
    Keith Gardner was a manager on the 2012 Lethbridge West campaign, a former editor of the U of L Meliorist newspaper, and a former board member for the U of L Public Interest Research Group.
  • Options
    ^^^
    this was an op-ed piece sent to the Lethbridge Herald in response to articles written about Mulcairs motives with respect to Alberta and the oilsands (tarsands). They would not print it, but did interview my friend Shannon for another article
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Here ya go,maybe this can shed a little light

Reality check: The NDP and the oilsands By
    Shannon Phillips Keith McLaughlin Keith Gardner

Contrary to recent headlines, the NDP and Tom Mulcair do not want to shut down the oil sands. The NDP is not attacking Western Canada. The NDP is not trying to divide Canadians by pitting East against West.

The headlines are another example of the tantrums Conservative premiers, federal Conservatives, and the oil lobby throw every time an alternative model of oil sands development is proposed. Let’s be clear: Tom Mulcair and the NDP are talking about putting Albertans and Canadians first - not the oil companies - when it comes to developing the oil sands.

The NDP proposes a practical and legitimate alternative to resource development. This alternative deserves a grown-up conversation. Canadians deserve better than hysteria, smears, and hyperbole.

Here’s what is at stake. A range of credible voices - from conservative economists to former Alberta Premier Peter Lougheed - share Tom Mulcair’s view that runaway development in the oil sands is not in our interest. We ought to pace development, taking on fewer projects at a time. The benefits of slowing development far outweigh the risks. A slower pace of development allows Alberta’s infrastructure and health and education systems to keep up. It slows the skyrocketing cost of living and labour market pressures. A slower pace of development means we keep more good-paying jobs in Alberta, too: with fewer projects on the books, we would be able to upgrade and refine more bitumen in our province, rather than shipping the jobs to Texas or China.

A slower pace of development also takes the heat off our currency, ensuring we slow the decline of the manufacturing sector, both in Alberta and the rest of Canada.

The Alberta NDP is also saying we need to ensure we get full value from the oil sands. That means having yet another grown-up conversation: this time about royalties. We’re the only party that talks about how Alberta needs to increase our royalties to levels charged in other oil-producing areas. More appropriate royalties has the effect of slowing the stampede to our currency, mitigating job losses in other parts of the country. Better royalties allow us to save and invest in a green economy, which is the best way to show leadership and ensure all of Canada can be put on a more sustainable path to long-term prosperity.

Conservative Premiers, the Harper government, and the oil lobby do not want to have any conversation about their development model in the oil sands. They ask us to sign off on pulling the bitumen out of the ground as fast as possible and shipping it out without any regard for the jobs leaving the country or the value we get from the resource. This benefits the international oil companies, not Canadians. In fact, two-thirds of oil sands companies are foreign-owned. Conservatives in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC have reacted with such bullying childishness to Tom Mulcair because the questions he is asking threaten oil companies’ massive profits and privilege.

Conservative hysteria, smears, and hyperbole (whether from Alison Redford, local PC MLAs, or the Harper government) are strategies designed to silence legitimate alternatives. This strategy protects foreign-owned oil companies’ interests, not Canadians’ or Albertans’. The NDP, on the other hand, advocates a position that puts sustainable development and Canadians’ long-term economic prosperity at the centre of the conversation.

We are young, proud New Democrats, and represent a new generation of NDP activism in Lethbridge. We are concerned recent headlines mislead the people of Lethbridge with respect to what our party stands for. We’ll say it again: the NDP is not anti-oil sands. We want an economy that works for all of us, and we believe oil sands wealth belongs to Albertans first. If we take that approach, all Canadians can benefit from our enormous natural resource endowment. Our party wants to build a more inclusive and united Canada; we are not interested in cynical political games.

We are interested in a mature political conversation about the oil sands. We invite Conservatives at all levels of government to join us.

Shannon Phillips was the Alberta NDP candidate in the 2012 provincial election in Lethbridge West.
    Keith McLaughlin is the former VP Academic of the U of L Students’ Union, a former editor of the U of L Meliorist newspaper, and the former Vice-Chair of the Council of Alberta University Students.
    Keith Gardner was a manager on the 2012 Lethbridge West campaign, a former editor of the U of L Meliorist newspaper, and a former board member for the U of L Public Interest Research Group.

Thank you for posting...so often yo hear about the problem but nobody proposes solutions.

• Options
    it goes to show how absurd the discussion is at a national level ... there is no critical thinking anymore ... the reality is that this boom in alberta is not good for everyone ... and when you look at it holistically, it's actually really bad for everyone unless you are big oil ...
This discussion has been closed.