Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    The visiting locker room isn't bugged, but the hallway outside of it was. Bill outsmarts Peyton yet again.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

FF league drafts shouldn't be held

fixed:
    Wait, what??? You don't like fantasy drafts?? Fantasy football draft is probably my favorite day of the year. Not too often that me and all my buddies get together like that...it's always a blast.
    i think fantasy football is a complete utter waste of time and there is nothing more annoying than watching a game and hearing same numb nuts talk about the players on his fantasy team. no one gives a shit about your team. the amount of time people spend on it and talk about it is nauseating. watch the games for who wins and loses and not how individual players do to get you points for your fantasy team. that's just my take.
  • Options
    well when you've been caught cheating in multiple ways it's not hard to believe there were other ways being used.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

fixed:
    Wait, what??? You don't like fantasy drafts?? Fantasy football draft is probably my favorite day of the year. Not too often that me and all my buddies get together like that...it's always a blast.
    i think fantasy football is a complete utter waste of time and there is nothing more annoying than watching a game and hearing same numb nuts talk about the players on his fantasy team. no one gives a shit about your team. the amount of time people spend on it and talk about it is nauseating. watch the games for who wins and loses and not how individual players do to get you points for your fantasy team. that's just my take.
    I love fantasy football, but I do agree with you that it is pretty fucking annoying when someone is telling you about their fantasy team. Unless it's someone else in my league, I don't care about your fantasy team.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

fixed:
    Amen!!!!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I play in a casual one where it auto picks the players. Gives me good reason to curse Matty Ice Ryan when he goes 11-30 for 142 yards and 2 INT's, where otherwise I wouldn't give a poop.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

well when you've been caught cheating in multiple ways it's not hard to believe there were other ways being used.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    a roid head and a drunk?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited August 2015

I love fantasy football, but I do agree with you that it is pretty fucking annoying when someone is telling you about their fantasy team. Unless it's someone else in my league, I don't care about your fantasy team.

Agreed.

Only way I care is if its in my league... or some sort of spectacular failure (like Luck posting like .4 points in the championship last year, sitting out garbage time, and me losing the championship by 4, points race by 8, which equaled about $750 lost).
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

fixed:
    You are in the minority on this. (Not that being in the minority opinion is a bad thing...) Fantasy Football has taken NFL Fandom to a whole other level.
    I agree about people going on and on about their teams but I think (just my opinion) that it does make watching every game more fun and it made me cut way back on gambling as gambling was something to spice up the games I didn't care much about.
    I will say that when it comes to my favorite team I dont consider fantasty, I would rather lose my whole league than cheer against my team. Dont get when people throw that out there: "I was rooting for my team but the other team had my starting RB and so I was rooting for him too."
    Fuck that.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

fixed:
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

fixed:
    Don't be silly
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

fixed:
    To each his own. Most do have a ff team.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Agreed.

Only way I care is if its in my league... or some sort of spectacular failure (like Luck posting like .4 points in the championship last year, sitting out garbage time, and me losing the championship by 4, points race by 8, which equaled about $750 lost).
    That's so funny. I won $850 in last year's championship game and I was up against a guy who had luck. He still blames luck for the loss even though I won by 50!
  • Options
    So Chris Carter is the bonehead of the day? For those who haven't heard, Carter told a group of rookies last summer that they need to have a fall guy for when these guys inevitably screw up.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

So Chris Carter is the bonehead of the day? For those who haven't heard, Carter told a group of rookies last summer that they need to have a fall guy for when these guys inevitably screw up.

They'll talk about deflated footballs for 7 god damn months like its some super crazy crime... How is this not all over the news? Why isn't everyone calling for Carter's head (and Sapp's too)?
  • Options

They'll talk about deflated footballs for 7 god damn months like its some super crazy crime... How is this not all over the news? Why isn't everyone calling for Carter's head (and Sapp's too)?
    Even Sapp reacted like carter was a douche bag.
  • Options

They don't/didn't play for the Patriots.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    How about my Bucs!!!!
    I know it's meaningless,but arrows pointing up here.Lots to be optimistic about this year.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

The NFL took ANOTHER hit in that video of Carter saying that stupidity was on the the NFL Network FOR OVER A YEAR! The NFL Knew about it and left it on there site for anyone to see and the fans are to believe anything Goddell says....not me what a jerk.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Stabby Lewis can attest that Carter is giving these kids some of the best advice they will ever get.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Stabby Lewis can attest that Carter is giving these kids some of the best advice they will ever get.
    You know ray Lewis didnt actually kill that guy right?
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Jason P said:

He ordered it to be done. Same thing.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

Jason P said:

He ordered it to be done. Same thing.
    Yea, he's Don Corleone.
  • Options

Jason P said:

I don't know if he did or not since he ratted his fall guys out and plead guilty to obstruction of justice and no other suspects have been named since then. Maybe he could team up with OJ when he gets out and they can start a P.I. agency.
  • Options
    good commentary on the Tom Brady in Philly Daily News today. I am not usually a fan of this columnist but I think he nails the Brady mess.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20150825_Tom_Brady_already_a_loser_in_court_of_public_opinion.html
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,664
    Taken from the comments section of the linked article (have to make multiple posts):

Scott Farmelant • 10 hours ago
    Marcus, as a columnist, you are entitled to your opinion. Better still, you are PAID (!) to share it. Were it only the case that your opinion was grounded in "undeniable" truths.

Being a fellow Newhouse alum (Masters, magazine, Dec. '90), it pains me to see you led far astray. So let's review the undeniable 'truths' in your piece today to make sure the whole truth is on the record rather than uninformed opinion. Si Newhouse would demand nothing less.

1. It is true that 11 of 12 footballs APPROVED by refs prior to the start of the game \were tested at halftime of the AFC title game and recorded at PSI (pounds per square inch) below the league limit. It is also true that nobody recorded pre-game PSI measurements of ANY balls (Colts or Patriots.) The record also shows that 3 of 4 Colts balls - hastily measured for PSI as halftime dwindled away - were below the allowable PSI limit listed in the NFL rulebook It is also true that any number of reputable scientists, including a Nobel Prize winner, have opined that the diminished ball PSI for both the Pats' and Colts' balls fall within the EXPECTED range of PSI as the result of changes caused by atmospheric conditions. Please don't take my word for it though - go to Google, type in "ideal gas law" and "#deflategate, and see for yourself.

One last point here. It is true that all balls were "tested by refs, in a stadium, in the presence of a top NFL official, all of whom did their best to make sure the game was played fairly."

Unfortunately, the refs used two different pressure gauges that yielded dramatically different readings. Without accurate pre-game records and records about the time when balls were measured, the halftime data is ultimately flawed in terms of providing "undeniable" truth about, well, ANYTHING.

2. It is undeniably true that a Patriots equipment manager and a Patriots locker-room attendant have repeatedly INSISTED that they NEVER released air pressure from an approved ball.

It is also undeniably true that the equipment manager, whose job duties included helping Brady prepare balls for pregame inspection by refs, repeatedly INSISTED that Brady would lose his mind if the balls were BELOW the allowable 12.5 PSI limit. Again, don't take my word for it. Google "Wells Report," and then read the parts about John Jastremski.

BTW, it's true that Brady gave Jastremski and the locker room attendant tips and shoes and the like. It's also true that EVERY NFL QB gives away all sorts of shwag and tips team staff - unless they are a unspeakable cheapskates.

3. It is true that Brady testified, UNDER OATH and understanding the PAINS AND PENALTIES OF PERJURY, that he had nothing to do with any of the claims set forth in the Wells report.

It is also true that Robert Kraft expressed public outrage at the NFL league office, which is led by Commissioner Roger Goodell, for its outrageous behavior less than two weeks before the Super Bowl. Notably, this behavior included leaking undeniably FALSE information to ESPN's Chris Mortenson and SI.com's Peter King.

These undeniable facts outraged Kraft, who called for Goodell to investigate the leaks among his leadership team. Interestingly enough, Kraft is still waiting for answers on who did the leaking and how the NFL's decision to air blatant lies about air pressure in balls served any of the league's franchises or the good of the collective.

Last, it is undeniably true that the NFL and Roger Goodell -- whose job is to serve all NFL franchises for the good of the collective -- elevated an alleged equipment violation, on the eve of the NFL's biggest annual event, to the never-ending embarrassment you know as #deflategate (and we New Englanders call #defakegate.)

(An aside: For the love of god man, how can you defend Goodell's actions in this mess? You ought to consider checking out the opinion of Sally Jenkins at the WashPost. Regardless of what you think about Brady, she's dead on about Goodell's incompetence and the disastrous consequences that have ensued.)
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Continued from previous post. Again from the linked article's comments section:

4. It is undeniably true that Tom Brady, explicitly cooperated with the Wells investigation as did the Patriots. It's right there on Pages 20 and 21 of the Wells Report. (Marcus, Google's a great thing to find detailed info!)

Shoot, in May, Ted Wells told the media on a conference call that everybody cooperated. Here's the exact statement - "The Patriots provided me, in my opinion, with substantial cooperation except in one critical and crucial area. I wanted to do a second interview of Jim McNally. Jim McNally was the second Patriots person I interviewed. I wanted, after I had interviewed others, including Tom Brady, to do a second interview of McNally to put certain questions to him."

[note: Wells wanted a SECOND interview after grilling McNally for several hours. The Pats said pound sand. Infer what you will.]

Indeed, the undeniable truth is that Wells was even more emphatic about Brady's cooperation, stating "Mr. Brady, the report set forth, he came to the interview, he answered every question I put to him. He did not refuse to answer any questions in terms of the back and forth between Mr. Brady and my team. He was totally cooperative."

So now we, at last, have the record of undeniable truths.

Which brings us to "the conversation about Brady salvaging his image."

Do you think for one minute that a questionable investigation with more holes than the Albert Hall, conducted by an NFL front office out to get the Patriots at all costs (well, actually, between $2.5 million and $3 million, according to Ted Wells' sworn testimony), will undo Brady's legacy as GOAT?

Let's stipulate the facts about the cell phone, shall we? Brady did not give Ted Wells his cellphone. He made that decision after Ted Wells told Brady's agent the phone wasn't needed as evidence because Wells' investigators had all of the telephone numbers that were called though Brady's phone (Wells also had all of the text messages for all parties under investigation, because those messages weres provided by the Patriots.) Brady's agent - who is a lawyer - advised him against turning over his PRIVATE phone. Brady gave the phone to his assistant, who destroyed it. Brady then TOLD Goodell about the flow of events at his appeal hearing - of which he was under no obligation to do.

In other words, people who see Brady as the cheater of all cheaters because of the phone will also have to see him as the dumbest moron imaginable, so stupid that he blew his own 'cover up' by admitting the 'cover up.

Anyhow, if that's enough to convict Brady in the court of public opinion -- or should we call that court the Legion of Envious Pats Haters? - that will surely be a short-time finding, even in their narrow minds.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    After all, no amount of cell phone silliness can erase Brady's amazing record of accomplishments. To wit:

NFL RECORDS HELD BY TOM BRADY

NFL (career)

Most games, 145+ passer rating, career: 13

Most games, 125+ passer rating, season: 7

Highest completion percentage, post-season game (minimum 20 attempts): 92.9

Most games with at least 75% pass completion rate and no interceptions, season (minimum 20 attempts per game): 6

Highest completion percentage, game (minimum 6 TD passes): 85.3

Longest pass completion: 99 yards ( tied with 12 other QB's)

Most Passing Touchdowns, Season, Away: 29

Most Games 3+ TD Passes, Season: 12

Most consecutive home games with 1+ touchdown pass: 47

Most Consecutive Uninterrupted Games, 1+ Touchdown Passes: 52

Most Consecutive Games, 3+ Touchdown Passes: 10

Most Passing Touchdowns, one quarter: 5

Most games, 115+ passer rating, season: 10, Aaron Rodgers 2011, Tom Brady 2007, Steve Young 1994

Most games, 120+ passer rating, season: 8, Tom Brady, 2007, Philip Rivers, 2008

Most games, 140+ passer rating, season: 4, Jacky Lee 1961, Roger Staubach 1973, Tom Brady 2007 & 2010, Aaron Rodgers 2011 & 2014

Most games, 145+ passer rating, season: 4, Tom Brady 2007, Roger Staubach 1973

Most games, 150+ passer rating, season: 2, Steve Young 1993, Kurt Warner 1999, Tom Brady 2007, Drew Brees 2009, Aaron Rodgers 2014

Most seasons, 110+ passer rating: 2, Tom Brady 2007-2010, Peyton Manning 2004-2013, Aaron Rodgers 2011-2014

Most games 35 completions, season: 3, Tom Brady 2002, Rich Gannon 2002 and Peyton Manning 2010

Most passing yards, any quarter: 252, Tom Brady on October 19, 2009; Boomer Esiason on November 10, 1996

Most consecutive 400+ yards passing games: 2; Dan Fouts, 1982; Dan Marino, 1984; Phil Simms, 1985; Billy Volek, 2004; Matt Cassel, 2008; Cam Newton, 2011, Tom Brady, 2011;[1]:s-9 Philip Rivers, 2013

Most Games 1+ TD Passes, Season: 16, Dan Marino, 1984, 1986; Dave Krieg, 1984; Kurt Warner, 1999; Brett Favre, 2003; Daunte Culpepper, 2004; Tom Brady, 2010–2012; Drew Brees, 2010–2011, 2013-2014; Matthew Stafford, 2011; Peyton Manning, 2012–2013; Philip Rivers, 2013; Ben Roethlisberger, 2013

Most Seasons, 50+ Touchdown Passes: 1, Tom Brady, 2007; Peyton Manning, 2013

Most Consecutive Games, 5+ Touchdown Passes: 2, Ben Roethlisberger 2014, Tom Brady 2007, Daunte Culpepper 2004, Tom Flores (AFL) 1963,

Most consecutive home wins, regular season, by a starting quarterback: 31, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2006–2011

Most road wins in a season, regular season, by a starting quarterback: 8, Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers, 1990; Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams, 2001; Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2007; Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys, 2014

Most wins in a season, regular season and post-season, by a starting quarterback: 18, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2007

Most wins in a season, regular season, by a starting quarterback: 16, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2007

Most consecutive wins against a single opponent, regular season and post-season, by a starting quarterback: 13, Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers, vs. Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1987, 1991–1998; Tom Brady, New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills, 2003–2010

Playoffs (career)

Most games played - 29[131]

Most games started for a quarterback - 29

Most games won as starting quarterback - 21

Most consecutive wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 10

Most consecutive wins to start a career, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 10, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2001, 2003–2005

Most career home wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 14, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2001–2015

Most consecutive home wins, post-season, by a starting quarterback: 8, Tom Brady, New England Patriots, 2001–2007; Jim Kelly, Buffalo Bills 1988, 1990–1991, 1993, 1995

Most touchdown passes - 53

Most yards gained - 7,345

Most passes completed - 683

Most passes attempted - 1,085

Most division titles for a starting quarterback - 12

Most playoff wins for a starting quarterback - 21

Most NFL conference championship appearances for a starting quarterback - 9

Most NFL conference championship wins for a starting quarterback - 6

Super Bowl (career)

Most touchdown passes - 13[132]

Most yards gained - 1,605

Most passes completed - 164

Most passes attempted - 247

Most passes completed in first half of a single Super Bowl - 20

Most passes completed in a single Super Bowl - 37

Most Super Bowl appearances - 6 (tied with Mike Lodish)

Marcus, it's a shame you swallowed everything the NFL fed you in determining that Tom Brady's not worthy of your respect. What would Si Newhouse think?

Of course, as previously stated, your opinion is yours and you will share it for as long as you are paid to do so.

Alas, nothing changes the fact that Brady's accomplishments are truly singular.

In fact, you acknowledge as much, no? Why else would you dedicate at least 4 columns to Brady and the Pats over the past 7+ months (today, July 28, May 7, Feb. 1.)

Your obsession makes me wonder - what is it about Tom Brady and the Patriots that fascinates you to the point where you spill buckets of ink in sharing your thoughts about them? Aren't the Iggles interesting enough?

Here's a thought. Why don't you interview Jeff Lurier about his take on the Brady/Pats saga? That way you can keep sharing your undeniably uninformed opinion about the Pats and Brady in the context of something that matters to your readers. Given that Lurier and Kraft have a relationship that extends back over decades, you'd break some news as well.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    JJ Watt is a Bad Fucker!