Options

*** Boston Fanviews Here 5/17/10 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
edited December 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
May 17, 2010 Boston, Massachusetts, TD Garden
Opening: Band of Horses

Set List: Release, Animal, The Fixer, In My Tree, Small Town, Force Of Nature, Given To Fly, Sad, Unthought Known, Pilate, Hail Hail, Push Me, Pull Me, Even Flow, Undone (played in memory of Howard Zinn), Not For You/Modern Girl (Sleater Kinney), Red Mosquito, Got Some, State Of Love And Trust, Why Go

1st encore: Bee Girl, Just Breathe (dedicated to “T, Marie and their boy Jack”), Love, Reign O’er Me (Townshend), Rival, Save You, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Smile (dedicated to “Jen”), Wasted Reprise, Better Man/Save It For Later (Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling), Soldier Of Love (Cason, Moon) [Stone discusses “Partners In Health”], Crown Of Thorns (Mother Love Bone, A. Wood), Alive (w/Heaven & Hell riffs at end for Dio), Rockin’ In The Free World (Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited May 2010
    Great night for the Bostonians!!!
    Congrats Erik for the Crown of Thorns!!!
    and what happen to Alive solo???heaven and hell riff??
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    At least now I know the setlist wasnt a fake.....hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
    edited May 2010
    Definitely a killer setlist. Can't wait to hear the boot.

Great to see the guys got word of the Smile request from the thread regarding the girl that was hospitalized and couldn't make it to the show. That's pretty touching. Definitely makes me Smile.
    Post edited by rlaidepeas on
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    This will be the second boot I get of this tour.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Release>Animal....UNDONE...Red Mosquito
    Rival
    Smile...SOLDIER OF LOVE....Crown of Thorns...RITFW

WOW...i went to hartford and i feel jealousy toward boston...still glad they didnt play off he goes or long road or footsteps but now im wondering if i should go to newark tmw....cheers to PJ and cheers to Boston - you got one hell of a show and i cant wait to read the reviews

YB
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    Sick setlist
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • Options
    And ppl say they don't read the boards... Crown of Thorns!!!!!

Epic set, Sad, Save You, Undone, Rival, Pilate!!!! Are you kidding me?

Eating Chinese food from some shady place here in Boston, after a beer with friends bus to NY. There's work tomorrow and the show at night.

Sleight of Hand please.
    Severed Hand
  • Options
    stunning!! this band continues to outperform themselves. Plain and simple, if you don't like PJ, I don't trust you. (I realize that doesn't apply to folks here lol)
    oh Ed! what big vinyl you have!

Won't let the light escape from me
    Won't let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    For those that went, if you can, please talk about the Sabbath-Heaven and Hell riff thrown in at the end of Alive. Super quick? drawn out ... cool?

Thanks.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    Greatest. Show. Ever. I went to Philly and this show blew those away. The energy was greater than any concert I had ever seen. My ears hurt right now. They played Smile for Jenn and Erik got them to play Crown of Thorns, so don't ever say that the band doesn't read this board. I'm skiddish about going to Newark now because that show can't be topped!
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    The dio tag was short
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    So...

I'm in the hotel room now, totally spent, have a flight back to Texas and my real life in the morning, so going to bed momentarily...

But WOW. What else is there to say? That set was as good as it looks. I feel sorry for Newark and MSG, cause there is no way that show will be topped. They played until 11:30, and probably payed a fortune to do so.

The band was tight, and the show was awesome... unreal really... I have been chasing down Smile for a long time, and it was awesome. I hope I don't have to wait 9 more shows to hear it again. And Crown of Thorns, Soldier of Love, Pilate, Push Me, Pull Me, Undone....what a night.

Release as an opener was perfect...

Took a first timer with me to the show, and he was wowed, couldn't believe the epicness of what happened in front of his eyes....

I have a poster in my possession and it is god-awful ugly, but I think I might have to frame it just because that show was unreal.... glad it was my last of the tour... :mrgreen:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    i don't even know what to say about this setlist...just wow. boston, you lucky bastards.

at least the flyers are still in the playoffs...small victory for me there. :mrgreen: can't wait until the newark show tonight.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    jfs5-10-10jfs5-10-10 Posts: 326
    Oh my god that set looks amazing!! Definitely getting the boot. Wish I could have seen release and red mosquito in buffalo... But I'm still stoaked to have seen no way and fatal. Hope everyone in Boston had a great night!!
    <b>Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar...
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars</b>

Buffalo 5-10-10...First PJ show..Life changing..magical..
  • Options
    Tremor-ChrisTremor-Chris Posts: 233
    I mean Hartford was good, but Boston was better...

The setlist was just amazing: in my tree, sad, pilate, push me pull me, red mosquito, undone for the late grate Mr. Zinn. Love Reign o'er me, Rival. Also great audioable pulling out Soldier of Love instead of last kiss (yay!!) and after 27 Boston shows we finally get Crown of thorns. Also really cool that they did smile and dedicated it to Jen. Way to go getting the word out about that one.

I for one am very thankful that there are a few days between Boston and NYC, give my legs a couple day to recover, they're gonna need it. I don't see how New York is going to top tonights show, but we will see in a couple of days.

Peace,

-Chris
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.
  • Options
    nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794
    What.A.Show... The boys were dead on tonight. Sounded fantastic, tonnes of energy from the crowd as well as the boys. Smile was insane, Crown of Thorns was fantastic...I could go through every great song, but there are toooooooooooooo many. Jeff pulled an audible at the end and changed Ledbetter to Rockin'. Ed left the stage with the words "Flyers suck". I am so glad I went to this show... So glad.
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • Options
    sacredyouthsacredyouth Posts: 69
    Unreal show. Amazing setlist. I'm too tired to elaborate. In My Tree, Pilate, Rival. . . !!! More from me later. Our seats sucked tonight compared to Hartford, but the show was off the hook. Have to digest it some more before I form more of an opinion. All I can say for now is we got two killer shows. The best two of the tour?
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    Man o man, just stellar!!!!! I feel real fortunate to be there. It was endless surprises. Crowd was really into it, the band feed off it. Fuckin cow guy

Teddy bruschi walked by me, he was rockin out

At the harp finishing a Jack n coke

unreal. Thanks to the band

u guys are the best
  • Options
    Unbelievable. That is all I have to say about this show.

Boston II 06
    Mansfield II 08
    Philly 4
    TONIGHT

Philly and tonight are equal in my book. Energy tonight was insane. INSANE SETLIST! UGH! I'm still flying high!
    2006/05/25 - Boston
    2008/06/30 - Mansfield
    2009/10/31 - Philadelphia
    2010/05/17 - Boston
    2011/06/15 - Providence (Eddie Vedder)
    2012/09/02 - Made in America
    2013/10/17 - Worcester
    2013/10/25 - Hartford
    2015/09/26 - Global Citizen Festival
    2016/08/05 - Fenway
    2016/08/07 - Fenway
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Papelbon gave up 4 in the 9th...

sorry, but I feel like I have to say something to balance out Boston receiving the best set of the tour so far.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Tremor-ChrisTremor-Chris Posts: 233
    over bends wrote:
    Papelbon gave up 4 in the 9th...

It doesn't even matter, nothing can take away the high from tonights show.

-Chris
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Tonight was insane. I just got home. Unbelievable show, far and away the best concert I have ever been to.....EVER!!!!! Not just Pearl Jam. Setlist was out of this world, energy of the band was un-parralelled. Mike was running around all night, Stone was headbanging to a lot of the songs. Just perfect in every way. I think if you combine the 2 MSG shows later this week it still won't top this. What else can I say.....Oh yeah, we got Pearl Jam/Red Sox themed shirts tonight. Pearl Jam on the front written in Red Sox script on a blue shirt. On the back it has Boston where the players name would be with a 17 as the number. Below that there is a pair of shoes in place of "red sox" with PJ written on the side.

This show will be next to impossible to top.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    HO LEE FUCK! :shock:

what a night in Boston. :o

insanity! you lucky people....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,286
    My 39th show, and I finally got to see "Pilate" and "Push Me, Pull Me." Thank you, Pearl Jam. Thank you. Epic.

Newark and MSG wish list: "Army Reserve"; "Around The Bend"; "Bugs"; "I'm Open."
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    fanman475fanman475 Posts: 37
    OH MY GOD. Amazing. I won the lottery and was second row right in front of Mike. He was going nuts all night. Great, great energy from the band, feeding off of the crazy crowd. Easily the best concert I've ever been to.

SO, SO GOOD. Thank you, Pearl Jam!

"I still can't get the picture out of my mind of Stone Gossard on his knees sucking your udder..."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    youngster wrote:
    Tonight was insane. I just got home. Unbelievable show, far and away the best concert I have ever been to.....EVER!!!!! Not just Pearl Jam. Setlist was out of this world, energy of the band was un-parralelled. Mike was running around all night, Stone was headbanging to a lot of the songs. Just perfect in every way. I think if you combine the 2 MSG shows later this week it still won't top this. What else can I say.....Oh yeah, we got Pearl Jam/Red Sox themed shirts tonight. Pearl Jam on the front written in Red Sox script on a blue shirt. On the back it has Boston where the players name would be with a 17 as the number. Below that there is a pair of shoes in place of "red sox" with PJ written on the side.

This show will be next to impossible to top.
    great!!how was crown of thorns?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    i wasnt even at this show, and my jaw is dropped. what a night this must have been. my god, it looks unreal, the setlist, and with people saying how high the energy was.....this one could live on as one of the greatest im guessing. looks incredible on paper....i hope you all had an amazing time....

stunning poster too!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    I went to Cleveland, Buffalo and Hartford and I' m not going to say this or that but wow this show looked like it was killer. First time I listened to Lost Dogs I was blown away by Sad and Fatal. Got to see Fatal in Buffalo and would of been cool to see Sad played. But no.... wife had to work and could not go on to Boston. Anyway this has been a great week!
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,540
    oh my god, rival and SOLDIER OF LOVE
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    DamianPBNJDamianPBNJ Posts: 5
    Uhhhhhh ... wow. I'm flabbergasted.

I mean really. Look at that set list. That was the rarest of rarity shows I've been to - I think Ed said something about the crowd making it easy for them to experiment a bit, or something along those lines - but they still managed to play more well-known songs that got the less hardcore, but still big PJ fans into the show. They mixed it up quite well. I brought a good friend who's never seen them before and at first, she noted the sparse stage (we last saw Muse together - quite a contrast), but by the end of the show, she said it was the best concert she's ever seen. "That was the most purist concert ever. It wasn't a show. It was a *rock concert*," she said.

I couldn't agree more.