• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,471
    Ten is back at 164
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Right now on Itunes LB is not even on the Top 400
    http://www.popvortex.com/music/charts/itunes-top-400-albums.php

On Amazon it's on sale and is #95 as of this posting. After being in the 200-400s the past few weeks,
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    does anyone know how many it has sold overall?
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options

does anyone know how many it has sold overall?

between 380k-400k
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Ten is at #157 on next week's chart
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Miss this thread
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,460
    I miss the fact that, when this thread was live, album sales were the only thing the Billboard 200 measured.  That changed later in 2014.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I miss the fact that, when this thread was live, album sales were the only thing the Billboard 200 measured.  That changed later in 2014.
    Lightning Bolt just missed out on big streaming numbers early on I bet. Still surprised it hasn't been certified gold yet.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Lightning Bolt just missed out on big streaming numbers early on I bet. Still surprised it hasn't been certified gold yet.
    Certification requires someone to submit it for certification, and to pay for the audit.  The band probably doesn't care enough to do any of that.  In the old days, Epic would have taken care of this.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Certification requires someone to submit it for certification, and to pay for the audit.  The band probably doesn't care enough to do any of that.  In the old days, Epic would have taken care of this.
    I know. Like the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited April 2022
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Didn’t they publicise Earthling’s chart position? One of the many billboard charts, physical album sales and it being number 1

i think they care. If it was gold it would be certified as such I would think 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Didn’t they publicise Earthling’s chart position? One of the many billboard charts, physical album sales and it being number 1

Lightning Bolt was over 400k by April 2014. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Eddie crowed about it at one of his solo shows.

Even if they care on some level, it's not as simple as mailing in a form.  Certification is a process and it takes someone who will do the work to put together the necessary data. A record company will have a person who does this as a matter of routine. Pearl Jam would have to deputize someone on its staff to do it, and pony up the fees. It's likely that they don't care enough to do any of that.

For what it's worth, certifications are pretty incoherent anymore because they're an apples-and-oranges amalgamation of units shipped to retailers (not sold to consumers) and streaming equivalents (which are weighted differently and, in my view, not particularly scientifically).  For these and other reasons, the Billboard 200 is also pretty incoherent.

Having said that, the Chili Peppers' new album will debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 this week.  It sold 82,500 copies in its first week, about 24,000 more than Gigaton did.  Of course, Gigaton was impacted by COVID-related shutdowns (and there's still a question as to whether the band submitted direct-to-consumer sales to Nielsen Soundscan).
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Even if they care on some level, it's not as simple as mailing in a form.  Certification is a process and it takes someone who will do the work to put together the necessary data. A record company will have a person who does this as a matter of routine. Pearl Jam would have to deputize someone on its staff to do it, and pony up the fees. It's likely that they don't care enough to do any of that.

For what it's worth, certifications are pretty incoherent anymore because they're an apples-and-oranges amalgamation of units shipped to retailers (not sold to consumers) and streaming equivalents (which are weighted differently and, in my view, not particularly scientifically).  For these and other reasons, the Billboard 200 is also pretty incoherent.

Having said that, the Chili Peppers' new album will debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 this week.  It sold 82,500 copies in its first week, about 24,000 more than Gigaton did.  Of course, Gigaton was impacted by COVID-related shutdowns (and there's still a question as to whether the band submitted direct-to-consumer sales to Nielsen Soundscan).
    I also think at that time Billboard stopped counting bundles. Like selling shirts with cd. They did that for the first time with Gigaton. Also when people would get a cd when buying a ticket (Which Pearl Jam hasn't done). If Gigaton came out last week it would be 2nd with the amount they sold their first week in 2020. Although I think that number would be much higher last week with everything opened up. Not really much competition for RHCP for the week.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Superunknown was just certified 6x 26 years after it was 5x. So there's hope. Vitalogy is still stuck at 5. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited April 2022
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

I also think at that time Billboard stopped counting bundles. Like selling shirts with cd. They did that for the first time with Gigaton. Also when people would get a cd when buying a ticket (Which Pearl Jam hasn't done). If Gigaton came out last week it would be 2nd with the amount they sold their first week in 2020. Although I think that number would be much higher last week with everything opened up. Not really much competition for RHCP for the week.
    DMB was notorious for that. They have some sort of streak going with 7 consecutive albums debuting at number 1.  No one else has ever done that apparently 

in any case more than a few of those albums got bundled with concert tickets when that counted.  When it didn’t count they don’t/won’t do it anymore 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on