Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Can someone please post the details of vault 31? I unsubscribed again before it was announced so can't view it on the website.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

Can someone please post the details of vault 31? I unsubscribed again before it was announced so can't view it on the website.

SIGN-UP DEADLINE JANUARY 31

This time last year we were gearing up for the release of Margo Price's debut album Midwest Farmer's Daughter. This was a straight-out-of-Nashville record we loved from first listen, and we are beyond thrilled that the release has led to many others discovering this singular and enigmatic artist and coming to love her as much as we do. Margo Price and her band The Pricetags had a banner year full of accolades, television appearances, incendiary live shows, and tons of good times. We'd like to celebrate the success of this cherished member of the Third Man family with the announcement of our latest Vault Package, all in honor of Margo Price, with the package in all its glory arriving on your doorstep right around the one year anniversary of the Midwest Farmer's Daughter release.

Margo Price Live at The Hamilton, Washington DC 11-9-2016

Margo and her band rolled into our nation’s capital after seven hours on the road on November 8 — election day — and spent the night in the up-for-grabs city as the results came in and anxieties rose across the country. The very next evening they played one of the most poignant and significant shows of the tour and quite possibly of their careers. As luck would have it, the tape was rolling. The set is a great mix of album tracks, live, road-tested favorites, and a batch of classic country covers from Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, and Billy Joe Shaver. Third Man Records is beyond proud to present this serendipitous landmark live show with a vellum optical sleeve on double 180-gram vinyl — one green and one white.

Set List:
    Hands of Time
    Black Rose (Billy Joe Shaver cover)
    Tennessee Song
    Paper Cowboy
    Yeah You’re Right
    Desperate and Depressed
    Weekender
    Red Bandana (Merle Haggard cover)
    Me And Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson cover)
    Four Years of Chances
    Ain’t Living Long Like This (Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson cover)

Margo Price - Blue Room Sessions 7"
    When we first asked Margo to come by Third Man Records to say hello and talk about her music and the album she had just recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis, we happened to be hosting open-to-the-public recording sessions on our 1955 Scully Lathe all day in the Blue Room for direct-to-acetate recordings (Third Man Recording Service). No record label in their right mind with an engineer behind the glass and a voice like Margo’s in front of it would let an opportunity like this pass them by, so we asked if she wanted to cut a tune. What she delivered was a tear-inducing solo version of “Desperate & Depressed” which was later re-recorded as the B Side for her first single from last year, “Hurtin’ on the Bottle.” It was powerful and it was fearless and this was the pivotal moment we knew we were hooked on Margo for good.

In a nod to that first meeting with her (a truly legendary day for us, for anyone interested in Third Man lore), we invited Margo down to play two new songs live in the Blue Room, cut direct-to-acetate on our fabled lathe. Here we present the third in our series of Blue Room Sessions (previous entries include Cat Stevens and Coupler) and the first as a Vault-exclusive. The A-side features a new, never-before-recorded, original composition titled "You Told Me With Your Eyes," followed by another never-previously-recorded (by Margo that is...) cover of Billy Grammer's classic leaving tune "Gotta Travel On" on blue vinyl.

Margo Price Live at Austin City Limits DVD
    Another landmark moment for Margo this year was her Austin City Limits taping, which will air January 21 on PBS. The good people from ACL have been kind enough to allow us to release this DVD of her performance featuring the entire broadcast version, and perhaps a few surprises... stay tuned.

Skull Collar Pin
    For our first bonus item, perhaps the the most outlaw piece of wearable art we’ve ever created: a ¾” white and gold enamel collar pin with a gold-tone chain for wear across your top button or on your lapel. The skull image is inspired by a tattoo Margo sports on her left leg and guarantees its wearer instant cowboy credibility.

2017 Challenge Coin
    Bonus item part two of two in Vault #31 is our second annual issuing of the Third Man Records Challenge Coin. Usually used as totems to signify membership in a military organization, challenge coins are slowly making their way into other realms of culture. The Third Man Records 2017 Challenge Coin will entitle its bearer (like the 2016 version) to 10% off purchases in our Detroit or Nashville storefronts for the duration of this year. It will also double as a large hole 45 adaptor. (And, if you want to “challenge” your Vault member friends to see who’s holding theirs with any empty-handed folks buying the next round of drinks… well that’s just the kind of camaraderie we hope to continue to foster amongst our most loyal and die-hard fans.) Vault package #31 is the ONLY way to get this coin… it will not be issued individually or in future packages.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Thank you! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    edited January 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

scurtis said:

Got vault 30 today, pretty sweet, they do amazing work.

Yes, this one is a very nice package. I love when they put everything in a nice box. I haven't spun any of it yet though - does it sound as good as it looks?
    Just listened to the Kills, Dead weather, William Tyler one, sounded pretty good to me.
    Post edited by scurtis on
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I like Margo Price but I can live without this, I really like being able to sit out and get a break from the expense of the Vault.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    No thanks finally I can quit!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    FR181798 said:

I like Margo Price but I can live without this, I really like being able to sit out and get a break from the expense of the Vault.

My OCD would kill me if I missed one.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Thanks for posting that. I would have totally forgot about my auto-renewal. Hard pass on this one.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

Yeah, I'm good. She comes off as fairly country to me, which isn't my thing. Glad I can save the $$$. :)
  • Options
    MedozK said:

FR181798 said:

You know you want that Five tracks vinyl instead :) Just under a day left on the auction site.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

MedozK said:

FR181798 said:

You know you want that Five tracks vinyl instead :) Just under a day left on the auction site.
    lol, yea I do, but I get the Vault auto paid before I even know what the next one is, that keeps from having to worry.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

FR181798 said:

Yeah, I'm good. She comes off as fairly country to me, which isn't my thing. Glad I can save the $$$. :)
    "fairly country", lol, yea she is VERY country. Modern day Loretta is what they kinda promote her as.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

FR181798 said:

"fairly country", lol, yea she is VERY country. Modern day Loretta is what they kinda promote her as.
    Not to shit on any one type of music over another, music is art so heavily subjective, but if that's the case with her music, I better pass.

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    scurtis said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

FR181798 said:

Not to shit on any one type of music over another, music is art so heavily subjective, but if that's the case with her music, I better pass.

I'm passing... I really can't abide country. I wish he would find some cool jazz artist. I'd be down with that.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I've never heard a song by her. Glad I re-up at the end of the month so I have time to decide.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

I've never heard a song by her. Glad I re-up at the end of the month so I have time to decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMEnLtDbcFE&list=PLAE6sL9nOAoIkEKFGGtX_TYBWk8SHVrpi
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    This will be the second Vault package of my "free" year so I'll be receiving it. My preference is for Jack White associated acts getting the Vault treatment, so I'm hoping there will be some good novelties or possibly ticket pre-sales during the quarter.
  • Options
    kasedoug said:

This will be the second Vault package of my "free" year so I'll be receiving it. My preference is for Jack White associated acts getting the Vault treatment, so I'm hoping there will be some good novelties or possibly ticket pre-sales during the quarter.

Ugh... I cancelled mine. I really hope there isn't a ticket pre-sale. I'm going to rejoin on Feb 1
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I'm a big fan of her album so will be joining for this.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

scurtis said:

MedozK said:

PJ_Soul said:

FR181798 said:

I'm passing... I really can't abide country. I wish he would find some cool jazz artist. I'd be down with that.
    I actually hate country music with a passion, lol. I find it absolutely intolerable, a handful of Johnny Cash songs excluded.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    That is what makes art great. If we all liked the same stuff, life would be extremely boring.

Kinda like how many people enjoy Neil Young.. I think his voice is incredibly bad, but I try to appreciate his work.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

That is what makes art great. If we all liked the same stuff, life would be extremely boring.

Kinda like how many people enjoy Neil Young.. I think his voice is incredibly bad, but I try to appreciate his work.

Ha! My wife does too. I tell her it depends on the night. Then I play Massey and know that she's wrong.
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    For $60.00 a quarter its a no-brainer to stay subscribed, open yourself to new music...
  • Options

For $60.00 a quarter its a no-brainer to stay subscribed, open yourself to new music...

Seems kind of crazy to pay $60 for shit you don't want..... I am extremely open to new music, but I just can't stand country. There is nothing I can do about that. It's not because my mind is closed to new music. It's because I have given it a chance and really hate the sound of it. Anyway, I think just automatically paying for every single vault, whether you like it or not, is pretty silly unless you've decided to be a completionist with all the TMR vaults, which I haven't.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    Seems like a great package for her fans. I'm passing on this vault. I wouldn't listen to this more than once. I'd rather use the $60 on a few other records.

I think here on out, I may only join for stripes stuff.
  • Options

I see your point, but just Jack and White Stripes stuff to me become boring.... how many versions of Jimmy The Exploder or Seven Nation Army do I really need.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

I see your point, but just Jack and White Stripes stuff to me become boring.... how many versions of Jimmy The Exploder or Seven Nation Army do I really need.
    As many versions as In My Tree?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

As many versions as In My Tree?
    lol, yea I would hate to count how many versions of Alive and Even Flow I have.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Seems like a great package for her fans. I'm passing on this vault. I wouldn't listen to this more than once. I'd rather use the $60 on a few other records.

Unless it's something amazing like the PJ release I only subscribe when it's a vault that has White Stripes, Jack white solo or the occasional Raconteurs vinyl. It's not that I'm not open minded but yeah in my case I could spend $80 on a lot of other records rather than a TMR artist which I just find okay.
  • Options
    It used to be that you could buy a Vault, if it wasn't your thing you could shift it eBay but prices are only decent on a select few Vaults.