Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    mfc2006 said:

grabbed 2 copies of the Jack White, one blue & one black. The black is my spinning copy, but I'm going to keep the blue sealed for now, which I rarely do. I did notice some noise on the first side, but I cleaned it a few times & it sounds better just like @MedozK suggested.

Black one for me had very bad distortion on side B. I returned it to TMR. They said the noise was on many if not all copies. My blue one does not have the issue.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Speaking of cleaning records, I used my Spin Clean the other night to clean about 20 or so new albums I've recently acquired. Conclusion: new records are really fuckin dirty!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544

Speaking of cleaning records, I used my Spin Clean the other night to clean about 20 or so new albums I've recently acquired. Conclusion: new records are really fuckin dirty!!

I have completely dropped the ball with my spin clean. I haven't cleaned a single new album I've bought for ages and ages. I better get on that and have a full-blown record cleaning day soon. I probably have 40 records I need to do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited January 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I have completely dropped the ball with my spin clean. I haven't cleaned a single new album I've bought for ages and ages. I better get on that and have a full-blown record cleaning day soon. I probably have 40 records I need to do.
    I let a buddy of mine borrow mine last spring/early summer and just got it back around Christmas. Not that he hoarded it or anything. In fact I had been to his house several times and he'd always say "don't forget your Spin Clean," but then I'd leave and forget it. He was even gracious enough to buy me a new bottle of cleaning fluid.
    Those 20ish records I did the other night are all I've acquired in the time he had it, so that's exactly what I did - full-blown record cleaning night, new inner/outer sleeves, etc. Now I need to buy more sleeves as I had exactly enough inners to finish my run. Waiting on the next 15% off from Sleeve City.

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Is it normal to get the 'make sure your address is up to date' email if you haven't subscribed this quarter. I didn't think it was. They charged me twice by mistake last time and I got one refunded. Just wondering if I will get an unexpected package in the mail.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    FR181798 said:

Is it normal to get the 'make sure your address is up to date' email if you haven't subscribed this quarter. I didn't think it was. They charged me twice by mistake last time and I got one refunded. Just wondering if I will get an unexpected package in the mail.

I think you may be getting an unexpected package in the mail.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    Gonna buy some of these releases on eBay.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Gonna buy some of these releases on eBay.

I will wait a while. The flipping prices will be ridiculous in the beginning, but will fall off as the newness wears off.
  • Options
    Oh yeah. No doubt.
  • Options
    Anyone here going to the grand opening today?
  • Options
    Yes, I'm heading down shortly. My wife and I have tickets to tour the pressing plant.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I got a guy that will hopefully score the first two albums for me...
  • Options
    That video is great. Looks like a cool as hell facility.
  • Options
    Damn. Just saw the pic of the records. Want so bad. Especially the 7"s
  • Options
    Detroit local love=nationwide sadness...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Awesome... if you have any more leads let me know.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

Awesome... if you have any more leads let me know.
    I certainly will. If he has multiple copies (he was bringing the whole family on a tour), I will let you know.
  • Options
    Yep if any extras are around I'd be interested!
  • Options
    My wife and I, did the tour yesterday. Ten minutes, they take you in and show and tell you about the record making process. Very pristine plant. They have room to expand, if necessary. They gave us a souvenir record mat. We didn't buy anything, the lines were way too long. Easily, over an hour to two wait. I talked to a kid who camped out overnight, to buy records......crazy. He was 20th in line. The screen printed jackets looked amazing! We saw Ben Blackwell doing some quality control. Overall a very cool place! I'm glad Jack decided to bring this back to Detroit.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Whatever year Jack was the "official record store Day MC" we happen to be in Nashville for a couple shows at the ryman. 3rd man was like a zoo on the outside, folks everywhere. Uncle Neil showed up in his environment friendly car when we was there. We didn't get near the actual building, just watched from afar for a bit.
    Anyway, Day after that (4/21) we went bright and early to get inside the actual building. Already had a line of 30-40 folks trying to get in before doors opened. One fella was from Canada and said he waited in line two days to get in on the actual record store day. Guess his wait paid off, he said he got to meet Jack and Neil that day, plus all the RSD 3rd man exclusive records. He said if he wanted he could easily pay off his trip expenses by selling a couple of those records. I had no clue they sold for that kinda coin, crazy.
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890

My wife and I, did the tour yesterday. Ten minutes, they take you in and show and tell you about the record making process. Very pristine plant. They have room to expand, if necessary. They gave us a souvenir record mat. We didn't buy anything, the lines were way too long. Easily, over an hour to two wait. I talked to a kid who camped out overnight, to buy records......crazy. He was 20th in line. The screen printed jackets looked amazing! We saw Ben Blackwell doing some quality control. Overall a very cool place! I'm glad Jack decided to bring this back to Detroit.

How much were the records?

• Options
    I believe all the 12" vinyl was $30, White Stripes, The Stooges, MC5. I don't know about the 7".
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Vault 31 shipping
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    That is super cool! Thanks for sharing! I would take one of those jobs, in a minute!

Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    Vault 23, Under Amazonian Lights, is back in stock. I'm not sure if it's the whole thing or just the record. I would venture to say since it's 40 bucks, it's only the record... but hey... maybe it's our lucky day. Highly regarded for the sound quality.

http://thirdmanstore.com/vault/vault-novelties/under-amazonian-lights

• Options
    edited April 2017
    mrussel1 said:

Vault 23, Under Amazonian Lights, is back in stock. I'm not sure if it's the whole thing or just the record. I would venture to say since it's 40 bucks, it's only the record... but hey... maybe it's our lucky day. Highly regarded for the sound quality.

Yeah, it must be just the LP. I think they'd show the whole package in the picture if it was the entire Vault. I'm slightly tempted by it, because I traded in that Vault at the record store for store credit (I found I just wasn't listening to it). But I'm not a vault member at this very moment so can't buy it anyhow. I'm waiting until the next Vault is announced (that should be any day now, right?).
    The one thing I wish I still had from that Vault is the little monkey pin. I kept that when I traded in the package, but it fell off my bag at a Modest Mouse concert. :frowning:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Yeah, it must be just the LP. I think they'd show the whole package in the picture if it was the entire Vault. I'm slightly tempted by it, because I traded in that Vault at the record store for store credit (I found I just wasn't listening to it). But I'm not a vault member at this very moment so can't buy it anyhow. I'm waiting until the next Vault is announced (that should be any day now, right?).
    The one thing I wish I still had from that Vault is the little monkey pin. I kept that when I traded in the package, but it fell off my bag at a Modest Mouse concert. :frowning:
    I did buy it yesterday. I had missed it originally. The reviews on it were that the audio quality was really good on it. Would you agree with that?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Would have thought the new vault would have been posted by now
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

I did buy it yesterday. I had missed it originally. The reviews on it were that the audio quality was really good on it. Would you agree with that?
    I remember the hype, but I wasn't blown away when I listened to it. Yeah, it sounded good, but I thought the performance was basically normal for them, so the hype seemed a bit unwarranted at the time for me. So that means it's really good! But it didn't sound any better than any of their other live releases IMO, so I guess take that for what it is, which I guess is a roundabout recommendation, lol.