Blind Melon

Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
edited July 2006 in Other Music
this band deserves so much more than one hit wonder status for No Rain. Proabably the most promising early 90s band, and the one with the most tragic tale. It boggles my mind to think of all the great times and music that i missed out on because of Shannon Hoon's death.

their self titled debut was fantastic, and Soup was even better, then Nico comes out years after Shannon's death and you hear Letters from A Porcupine, which is just hiliariously beautiful

is there anyone else out there who can name more Blind Melon songs than just No Rain? It seriously bothers me when someone measures the success of a band by the commercial success of their follow up album to a smash success.

anyone out there who views this thread and just knows Blind Melon for No Rain should go out and listen to the rest of the damn album or at least more of their material!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I love their stuff. The debut was awesome but it sure did not stop there. I skip No Rain most of the time I listen to the disc. Saw them in concert twice... one was so-so and the other was incredible....
  • righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    I agree. Blind Melon are one of my favourites. Soup is probably my favourite of the three albums. I remember one time I was reading a book that listed one hit wonders and they were listed. I couldn't believe it. Obviously they were referring to No Rain. Change and galaxie are just a couple of other songs that seemed to get good radio hit status. I assume when people call them a one hit wonder band they are talking mostly about what is on the radio. To me each of the three are like greatest hits cds. I can't find one bad song on any of them. I just wish they could have made more music.
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Soup is a great album!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    The last song on the album Nico, just woderfull recorderd on an answering machine. Thats just amazing. An other favourit song of mine is Drive. Another hero that just died way to young.
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
    esther1977 wrote:
    The last song on the album Nico, just woderfull recorderd on an answering machine.
    "danny won't ya come over here?" I love Letters from a Porcupine.

Blind Melon was so progressive too, a completely unique sound that just blows my mind. I hear Capital records (i think) is gonna be releasing some more of their live stuff or unreleased songs. If there is any band that i want to hear more from it is these guys for sure. Soup was a complete evolution from Blind Melon and i feel terrible that they never completed a third studio release
  • esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    I also heard that rumor so im still waiting. Im also glad that i have seen them play once . It was a month or so before he died
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • jack_bass_playerjack_bass_player Posts: 1,126
    mouthful of cavities!!!
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Yes,

Blind Melon are awesome, Its a shame I cant find more DVDs and Audio bootlegs :(

I am so hooked on the song soup at the moment
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Loved Blind Melon

Loved the first album, and got heavy into Soup as well

It is definitely a shame, no doubt

By the way, a big reason they were ever on the map? In case no one knew this......Axl Rose ( He heard Hoon's voice and absolutely flipped out, and helped secure them a record deal)
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Yeah, Mouthful of Cavities. First time I heard Blind Melon... it was Soup. I was like, is this a girl singing, maybe with the same voice structure as Janice Joplin? I then look up the lead singer's name... Shannon Hoon, so it leads me to believe that it's even more a girl, but found out a it was a guy and this story led no where.

Anyway... Soup is one of my favorite albums to date. Oh, and the hidden song that you can rewind the cd from the first track and hear another song is pretty sweet, however, I have the burned copy and I cannot do this. My brother does have the real copy of the cd, and we have rewound the cd from track 1 to hear a bonus track. It's pretty rad for sure. But yeah, if there's a band I want more from, it'd be Blind Melon.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    anyone got any dvds

I have at : db.etree.org/xeddie/dvd
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    blind melon was amazing. if shannon hoon didn't die, there is no doubt in my mind that they would have been one of the most impressive and important bands of the 90's. they never released anything that was even close to sub-par, and they had a sound that no one could match. i've always said that soup is maybe the most underrated album of the decade.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    mouthful of cavities!!!

Damn right!

I love Blind Melon. Their debut was great, but Soup is my favourite. They are added to my list of acts I love that I will never see live.

Such a shame.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    esther1977 wrote:
    I also heard that rumor so im still waiting. Im also glad that i have seen them play once . It was a month or so before he died
    whoa i am so jealous

I've heard their live show was crappy at times, but great overall. Shannon comes up with the coolest stuff, like his seagull hat when performing on SNL!
    Good ol' Hoon the Loon
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I love Blind Melon.

Check out Shannon's shirt;

http://blindmelon.org/pictures/th27.jpg
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Collin wrote:
    I love Blind Melon.

Check out Shannon's shirt;

http://blindmelon.org/pictures/th27.jpg
    who's the guy on the shirt? is it mookie?
  • righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    Holy shit! I never realized there was a hidden song on soup. Thanks. A new song after all these years.
  • Ltrain76Ltrain76 Posts: 26
    damn right.they rule. my fav band in college and still one today. they would have been an all time great
  • plus that one hit wonder thing is bullshit.

Paper Scratcher was a huge hit.

One of the greatest bands in history cut way too short :(
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mouthful of cavities!!!

Incredible tune, incredible band. For those of you interested in checking for some post-Bline Melon projects, check out:

Luma / Unified Theory (this was the band with new vocalist Chris Shinn and.................drummer Dave Krusen)

Abandon Jalopy - This was Brad Smith's project.

There have been many other projects and cameos, but for Blind Melon fans, these won't disappoint!!!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    pjny wrote:
    Incredible tune, incredible band. For those of you interested in checking for some post-Bline Melon projects, check out:

Luma / Unified Theory (this was the band with new vocalist Chris Shinn and.................drummer Dave Krusen)

Abandon Jalopy - This was Brad Smith's project.

There have been many other projects and cameos, but for Blind Melon fans, these won't disappoint!!!
    thanks!!! great stuff
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I personally like No Rain as my favorite Blind Melon song, but I'm not a die hard fan of them. I can give you a couple of my other favorites too though:

Change
    Dear Ol' Dad
    Tones of Home
    Paper Scratcher
    Time
    Soak the Sin
    Sleepyhouse
    Seed to a Tree

I only have their self-titled album, I've never seen Soup in stores so I haven't had the chance to pick it up.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    change is a fantastic song. By far my favorite of theirs. I only have the S/T record, but I will pick up the others soon enough.
    rock chalk
  • I went to see Blind Melon at RCKNDY in Seattle in the early 90's, and met Ed outside, after he went to the sound check.... he was heading to a party over on Queen Anne. I was so stoned...I couldn't get the money in the parking meter station (wife was driving) and those dollar bills are hard to fold and put in those slots! Ed was laughing at me as he was walking by, and I was floored to see him! So sad Shannon Hoon is gone.
    "Worship the music, not the musician"
    EV
    4/16/92 ; 7/22/92 ; 9/20/92 ; 12/7/93 ; 6/7/95 ; 9/14/96 ; 9/16/96 ; 9/1/98 ; 11/2/00 ; 10/22/01 ; 12/6/02 ; 12/8/02 ; 5/30/03 ; 7/6/03 ; 7/8/03 ; 7/9/03 ; 10/22/03 ; 11/24/03 ; 9/1/05 ; 9/2/05 ; 7/9/06 ; 7/10/06 ; 7/22/06 ; 7/23/06 ; 8/22/2009 ; 8/23/2009 ; 9/21/2009 ; 9/22/2009 ; 9/3/2011 ; 9/4/2011
  • I went to see Blind Melon at RCKNDY in Seattle in the early 90's, and met Ed outside, after he went to the sound check.... he was heading to a party over on Queen Anne. I was so stoned...I couldn't get the money in the parking meter station (wife was driving) and those dollar bills are hard to fold and put in those slots! Ed was laughing at me as he was walking by, and I was floored to see him! So sad Shannon Hoon is gone.

I remember when they played that show, didn't go. I just remember hearing about it on KISW when I was home one weekend from EWU.

I just listened to the "Blind Melon" CD yesterday...Listening to them now I think they were just so fucking groovy. A lot less dirty sounding and closer to MLB and earlier RHCP, but less funky and more just GROOVY. I love em.
  • kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    jhawk98 wrote:
    change is a fantastic song. By far my favorite of theirs. I only have the S/T record, but I will pick up the others soon enough.

Change is a great song. I love that tune.

God's Presents is my favorite though. I also like Soul One. It's beautiful.

Galaxie was popular as well. Remember the video for it?

Shannon's death still makes me sad.

I think, for the most part, that one-hit wonder stuff is media bullshit. There is an incredible band playing together in a garage somewhere in the corner of some small town that would blow everyone away if they had access to all of our ears. I'm listening to The Avett Bros. as I type this, and I never would have heard of them if not for someone on this board. They don't have a "hit," but they are awesome. So, fuck that one-hit wonder shit. Who needs anyone to tell them what to listen to or dig?
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    THIS IS SO F'D UP.

Like I said, I'm listening to the Avett's. I finish up my last post and the next song comes on ... "Smoke in Our Lights." My first time listening to it. I just dl'd it. Here's the lyrics:

You're not a girl, you're town
    You're snow on the ground
    You're my first year in school
    You're the words in a song
    That Shannon Hoon sang to me
    And all around my memory, you dance

Ain't that crazy!
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
    funny thing about blind melon is that they did this "the more you know" type thing for the number 3. It's called 3 is the magic number, and it is so damn great. There's even a video for it on the internet, along with a bunch of their other videos that they did over the years.

http://beemelon.free.fr/videos.html

check it out
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    If I ever somehow end up in a band, I will insist on covering 'Life Aint So Shitty'.
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    Blind Melon, as I have said in the other Blind Melon topics, is my number 2 band.

They have such great, and diverse material, however Walk is possibly my favourite. The Mandolin, guitar, and violin blend so well, and Shannon really out does himself on vocals. Change, Time, and Tones of Home are also great. They also did a great Out on the Tiles Cover.....

Hell aside from Vernie, I love all their songs too much. Vernie is ok but it seems to nag at my head kind of.

RIP Shannon.